Thread: Godspeed Bible Search Program by Kingdom Age Software of Brian G. Moore

Godspeed Bible Search Program by Kingdom Age Software of Brian G. Moore

As some might know already, I have been an avid user of this handy dandy Bible search program called Godspeed in my pilgramage of witnessing on internet world.

Since I got newer machines that use either Vista 64 or windows 7, I had some gloomydays looking for a substitute for Godspeed, for I could not install my favorite program, Godspeed program on those newer and faster machines, simply because the Godspeed program was written as a 16bit program.

The feature of the Godspeed program that I have enjoyed the most is the feature that it lists similar words in the Bible to what I want to search so that I may substitue my search worsd with those that are already in the King James Version Bible. That feature alone has helped me so many times to find the verse that I want to quote. And I have found no Bible search program out there in the market has that feature, which I have loved so much.

In desperation, I contacted the author of that program to challege him to come up with the same program that could be run on newer machines. And was I happy when I got the following information with which I could successfully install the old familiar program on my Windows 7 machine?

Here below is the information which I was so happy to receive, and which I would like to share with many out there who have enjoyed the Godspeed program.
    ========
    Vista 64-bit cannot run 16-bit applications directly

DOSBox might be [fastest way to get it working]

About DOSBox
    http://www.dosbox.com/

Downloads - the first choice is for Windows
    http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Then install and run

Once DOSBox opens you will get a Z: prompt, type:

mount c c:\bible

If your backslash doesn't work (I got ] instead of \) then use /
    mount c c:/bible

if all else files and you can't get slash or colon:
    for slash hold down ALT and hit numeric pad 9 then 2 then release ALT

for colon hold down ALT and hit numeric pad 5 then 8 then release ALT

then type c: (enter)
    then BGS or GH should work
    I was able to get full screen to work by typing Alt+Enter
    However I did not read the README or FAQ yet
    to see what other options there are for changing window size

To close the session after exiting GodSpeed type exit (enter)

Regards,
    Bryan

=========

GodSpeed will still work correctly on new machines running 32-bit
    Windows XP, Vista and 7.
    For 64-bit machines, use DosBox or something like it.

If you get the blank flash, no error, but GodSpeed doesn't run when
    double-clicked, then you may need the "NOTICE" file fix.You can get this
    file from the ZIP file, however Windows incorrectly handles the
    date/timestamp of ZIP files when extracting, so you may need to use the
    self-extract here to re-extract the Notice file, if the
    Daylight/Standard time changed and stopped GodSpeed from running:

Pass this link around. You can also find a link to DosBox and my
    introductory instructions there.

http://godspeed.to/bgs

Sincerely
    Bryan0
    ================

I may not have emphasized that the old 16-bit GodSpeed still runs fine
    on Windows Vista 32-bit; you do not need DOSBox unless you are running
    64-bit.

There is a "NOTICE" problem that comes up whenever daylight saving
    changes. I can help with that. If you are on 32-bit and it is not
    working, type "BGS" at a command prompt and see if it is complaining
    about NOTICE. I can send a follow up email to fix that.

Yours in Christ,
    Bryan

====

I am sharing the above information just to help those who still enjoy Godspeed program as I have been.

YouShine of www.newlifeforum.us www.youshineblog.com, the Sysop of the ancient BBS: compupal & FamilyRadioForum

GodSpeed NIV MS-Dos Bible

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

I've been using my little MS-Dos GodSpeed Bible for years. I have not updated my PC with the newer 64-bit operating systems for the simple fact of not being willing to part with my trusty Bible - so quick in getting to the verse I'm looking for...!!!

Now, at last I have found the answer (yours) and can move to Windows7 and still have the best little Bible.

Thank you!

Leon Botha, South-Africa

Re: GodSpeed NIV MS-Dos Bible

I was an avid GodSpeed user, but have lost my original disks. How could I get the original files? I started a business while on seminary, 1985-1992 called Computers in ministry. My first 2 programs I resold was GodSpeed (Bible Study) and Illysaurus (Christian Magazine Abstracts). Funny, I was just thinking about the good old days and how I missed the program. I decided to search the internet abs see what I could find. Can anyone help me get the files? PLEASE! John Baumgartner

Hmmm, I am seeing this is an ancient (for the internet) post. I am an US Air Force chaplain on active duty trying to find a copy for legit purchase of the GodSpeed software. (I had QuickVerse for DOS way back in 90's in seminary) I enjoy DOS usage via emulator and in many locations I travel around the globe internet is not an option and utilizing a fast OS like DOS on old equipment means easy transfer on systems etc.

Any assistance would be appreciated - but I am guessing this thread is long ago dead

Well, sir, I have found that I can get pretty much all the help I need with other software programs. It is a matter of personal preference.

However, one can search for these types of free bible software and find most of what they may want:

Bible Explorer

e-Sword

Alkitab Bible

BerBible
    Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
    George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Unhappy Re: GodSpeed NIV MS-Dos Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Well, sir, I have found that I can get pretty much all the help I need with other software programs. It is a matter of personal preference.

However, one can search for these types of free bible software and find most of what they may want:

Bible Explorer

e-Sword

Alkitab Bible

BerBible

THANKS - those are all probably very nice - However the handheld computer I am using is a DOS based system and all the above appear to be windows or Mac OS based programs - I get the impression there are very few DOS based Bible programs to be found these days.

"The Word" is a very powerful program too! Well worth checking out! However, I'm not sure if it can be ran in DOS mode.

Blessings!!!

I have an original copy of Godspeed but it is the KJV

If you would like a copy I can email it to you if you like or I wonder if I can post it or run a link on here? keithbronner@gmail.com

Blessings!

Blog Entries

Re: Godspeed Bible Search Program by Kingdom Age Software of Brian G. Moore

Quote Originally Posted by microdesigns2000 View Post
    I came to this thread because I miss using Godspeed. Even with all the web at my fingertips, there is simply no software tool that suits my desires better. Maybe my wristwatch is more powerful than the computer on which I used Godspeed, but the wristwatch still can't find every verse with the search term I'm interested in. My biggest hangup with the web searches is that on every search, I need to wait for a bunch of ads to populate the screen. And you would think that the developers hadn't heard of "Big O notation". Godspeed was exactly that. Even on slow hardware, the software was fast, like the forgotten art of good software development.

*Edited for Mod review*

If only I had my original Godspeed disks.
    Mediator Note: The Moderator of this forum is not here at this time, so we are putting this post under Mod Review until the Moderator can approve or disapprove it.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Re: Godspeed Bible Search Program by Kingdom Age Software of Brian G. Moore

I had Godspeed on one of my computers back in 1980's. Of course, I no longer have that computer and have lost my 3.5 inch Godspeed disks. Does anyone know how I may obtain a current working GODSPEED program???????????

Thread Information