Thread: When we have fallen

When we have fallen

God has organized scriptures in the way he desired. There are some really good things in there. I love the chapters and verses because they are useful. But often, they can be a hindrance. God has me revisiting the basics lately and trying to see the heart of Jesus and the Father in the scriptures. He is renewing my first love.

With this in mind, check out John 13:36-14:4

John 13:36-14:4

36 Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, where are You going?" Jesus answered, "Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you shall follow later." 37 Peter said to Him, "Lord, why can I not follow You right now? I will lay down my life for You." 38 Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a cock shall not crow, until you deny Me three times.

14 "Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 "And you know the way where I am going."
    NASB

The context is that Jesus had told Peter he would not be able to follow him now but one day, Peter would be able to. For the Lord had seen into Peter's heart and knew he was not able yet to endure the cross and would deny him. Thus he said "you cannot follow me now but you can later". Peter didn't understand and declared "I will lay down my life for you!" and he meant it. In the garden, he pulled a sword on Roman soldiers. There he would have died. Dying in a fight is sometimes easier than dying on the cross. But when the offense of the cross came, Peter was not able to handle it and he denied Christ three times! But thank God the story did not end there.

Jesus, sensing the sadness that arose in his disciple(s) because he could not follow him, said "do not let your heart be troubled." Ah, what an encouraging word. He goes on "I am going to prepare a place for you that where I am, there you may be also."

This morning, I am basking in that thought. That even with denial in his heart, Jesus had seen Peter's end and told him not to be troubled. "You cannot follow me now Peter, but you can later." Let us all be encouraged by these words. Perhaps we stumbled like Peter did. Or perhaps it's in us as it was in Peter. Yet the Lord is preparing a place for us and his desire is that we dwell with him. Though this "thing" in us now prevents us from walking the way of the cross, we weep bitterly until the fulfillment of Jesus words "but you will later" come to pass.

John 13:36-37

36 Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, where are You going?" Jesus answered, "Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you shall follow later."
    NASB

I rejoice that though there are things I may not be able to have victory over now, I will later! Indeed, later Peter did embrace the cross and follow Jesus more fully.

Phil 1:6
    6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
    NASB

I thank God that his word to me when he sees something in me is "You can't do this now, but you can later. And don't let your heart be troubled. I want you to follow me and you will. My desire is for you to be with me."

So today, perhaps I may fall. Or perhaps, God himself will tell me I can't follow him. But I will take great solace in the fact that he is still working on me and that one day, I will be like Him and will be with Him. This really encouraged me today.

Grace to you.

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries
    And grace to you, Mark, so appropriately placed in 'Growing In Christ'. Blessings be multiplied in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Mark and all the glory to God as He places this ministering word to you and you're obedient to allowing Him to minister to others as well, through such an obedient vessel.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's powerful. I'd never considered the passage in that light before.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
    Rev 2:4-5

Our first love ought to be (Mat 6:33)

As for falling: (Prov 24:16)
    And they went out and preached that men should repent. (Mark 6:12)

Blog Entries
    Likewise, in the book of Judges we find the story of Samson's selfishness and sin. However, in the book of Hebrews he is called a man of faith. It gives us hope, huh?
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Live-Orlando, Fl. Spirit.-near Christ. Mental-out to lunch
    Blog Entries
    Remember, the chapters and verses in the Bible were put there by men not God. In most cases they are logical but if you hold to them to tightly they can keep you from seeing lessons that God has for us.

The words of our Lord ""You cannot follow me now Peter, but you can later."" was also backed up later in the book of John (chap and verse optional).

Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go." (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, "Follow me."
    (Joh 21:18-19)
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Thanks for sharing, Mark! I felt blessed reading your post, thank you

Thanks for the encouragement folks. A friend pointed out today how Jesus prayed for Peter. It is good to know that Jesus is praying for us too.

Rom 8:34
    34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.
    NASU

Knowing what Peter would do, Jesus prayed for Peter so that when Peter overcame, he could encourage his brothers! The grace and mercy of our Lord amazes me.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries
    That was a beautiful message, Brother... Thank you!

Oh yes, the day we all shall live with Our Lord, in His Mansion of Glory, seeing Him face to face... the Lamb of God!...Oh how amazing it is to even imagine! He is the purpose of our every breathe!

Let us focus on Jesus, and even to the point of death, May our focus remain in Him!

...Ivory

Thread Information