Thread: the tree of the knowledge of good and evil

Blog Entries

the tree of the knowledge of good and evil

In the book of Genesis 3, where the story of mankind's downfall or sin: where he was forbidden to eat of the tree of good and knowledge; was the sin in disobeying what God said and eating the fruit or the consequences of eating the fruit? I mean, when God was calling for Adam and he and Eve were hiding for him, Adam said they hid because they were naked. It says 'their eyes were open and they knew they were naked". Was it ever God's intention that human beings know the difference between good and evil? Because it seemed that was what the tree was called. I hope I am saying this correctly. In Genesis 3:22 It says And the Lord God said Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever..." What does it mean that " the man is become as one of us...?" And it seemed to me that if the serpent didnt deceive Eve or talk to her, we wouldnt be having this conversation at all.

blossom

Quote Originally Posted by blossom View Post
    In the book of Genesis 3, where the story of mankind's downfall or sin: where he was forbidden to eat of the tree of good and knowledge; was the sin in disobeying what God said and eating the fruit or the consequences of eating the fruit? I mean, when God was calling for Adam and he and Eve were hiding for him, Adam said they hid because they were naked. It says 'their eyes were open and they knew they were naked". Was it ever God's intention that human beings know the difference between good and evil? Because it seemed that was what the tree was called. I hope I am saying this correctly. In Genesis 3:22 It says And the Lord God said Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever..." What does it mean that " the man is become as one of us...?" And it seemed to me that if the serpent didnt deceive Eve or talk to her, we wouldnt be having this conversation at all.

blossom
    The sin was in disobeying God. Further, for Adam the sin was intenional disobedience. I don't think I can answer your second question, though it would appear that it was not God's intention (at least, at the time) that we be able to make such moral judgments.

blossom
    Adam transgressed Gods word when he ate that which he was forbidden to eat. As part of the consequences of that action Adam lost his innocense. Because Adam could desern good and evil he was now responsible for his actions. God is the judge of good and evil. Only God can judge with perfection that which is good and which is evil. Since Adam did not posess Gods omniscience Adams judgment would not be perfect as Gods judgment is perfect.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Blog Entries
    In Genesis 3:22 It says And the Lord God said Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever..." What does it mean that " the man is become as one of us...?"
    Now that Adam and Eve had the knowledge of good and evil and purposely chose the evil of disobeying God, they were sinners living in a corruptible body, as Paul calls it in 1 Corinthians 15.

If they had eaten from the tree of life, they would have remained living sinners trapped in the bodies of corruption until this very day, unable to die and leave their corrupt bodies and trade them for the incorruptible.

If they had eaten from the tree of life, Adam and Eve would still be here - unable to die and unable to go to heaven.

God was protecting them by not allowing them to eat from the tree of life. When God told them that "they shall surely die" if they disobeyed Him.....they did, eventually.

And that's they only way they could escape the corruption of the world and their corrupt flesh.

1 Corinthians 15: 42-44 - "So it is with the resurrection of the dead: Sown in corruption, raised in incorruption; sown in dishonor, raised in glory; sown in weakness, raised in power; sown a natural body, raised a spiritual body.
    ".....it's your nickel"

blossom

Blossum, I agree that the sin was in the disobeying, but the eating of the fruit was disastrous. It was not in the knowing what was good, and what was evil. It was in the fact that we were not dependant on God any longer and thought we could decide for ouselveswhat is right for us. It is the curse of all mankind and even today, within the church, how many are deciding what is good and what is evil.

It is the root of self will, self reliance, pride and selfishness, as if we are our own little gods over the universe that of course revolves around us. To truly become saved, saved from ourselves, we must renounce that we have anything to offer God but an empty vessel and then ask Him to fill us with whatever He desires.

Our minds have become our gods far more often then not, and many have been busy indeed in remaking God in their image rather than visa versa, and picking and choosing which parts of the word are true, and which cannot be. When I read the word and there are parts of Him that I do not understand, my pat answer is always "Lord, thou knowest". In due time I will have a complete understanding, but until then, I simply choose to trust in His goodness and wisdom, and lay my mind, my opinions, my wisdom, on the alter of God. Sadly,many are still munching away on the fruits of the tree of knowledge, rather than fully surrender to a God who wants to care for us and just LIVE.

goykodesh Guest
    Lot of trees in the Bible. Including the one our sins are nailed to.

Thread Information