Thread: Finding joy in times of trials

Finding joy in times of trials

Dear brothers and sisters,
    How do we practically find joy in times of trial or testing? Would like some Scripture verses and some practical ways in which I can still find joy in God during my time of testing.

Thanks.
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Blog Entries
    2 Cor. 12:7-10
    And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. [8] For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. [9] And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. [10] Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

I have two practical ways of advice for you.......

Let me tell you about my trials first...... I have RSD, a very painful disease, that has left me bedridden and severely handicapped and I am a shutin most of my days....... I do not come outside more than a few hours a week if I make that.......

The first thing you need to do is pray to your Heavenly Father and ask His advice, which is way better than I could ever give you..... in my case I asked Him for an opportunity to serve Him from my bed...... at first He made me a mod here so I could spread the gospel on here, and then later He gave me a cardministry where I send prayercards over the whole world, mostly USA...... it has brightened my days and also has He blessed me with great friends and a wonderful husband whom I met here on this site......

Secondly, joy is a choice too! I remember when I was first starting to become handicapped (not bedridden yet)..... I had seen examples of people in my situation that were very grumpy and hateful towards their carers....... I have made it my goal and swore in those days that I would NEVER end up like that, no matter how handicapped I would become........ and I didn't! God has given me the power to overcome this, and I am very cheerful and optimistic and encouraging towards other people....... for me it now comes natural to be joyful, no matter how much I am hurting or how tired I am........

So first pray to our Father about this and then make the choice to be joyful and ask Him to help you with that........

I hope this helps somewhat...... If you need to talk and be more specific, you can always pm me or start a thread in Chat to the Moderators to my attention (call it Miepie or Mieke).....

Love you,
    Mieke
    Glorious Day
    Living He loved me
    Dying He saved me
    Buried He carried my sins far away
    Risen He justified
    Freely forever
    One day He's coming
    Oh Glorious Day!

Casting Crowns

“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law" (Galatians 5:22). There are times where we all feel sorrow, but believing in Him will take the pain away. I just lost my uncle and I am having a hard time, but I pray and keep busy, I take part in His word, I listen to His music and dance. Don't forget that friends (true friends) will be there for you in times of need, so be surrounded. Ecclesiastes 4: 7-10; "Two are Better than One".

His word says that isolating oneself will lead them to selfish desires, which you don't want any part of. Also during trials and tribulations it's best to remember that they don't last always, so it's best to stay strong in Him until joy comes in the morning.

I hope you'll grasp the concept that those who are faithful in Him won't fall, and so despite it being difficult, you can stay joyful during hard times.

thanks for the encouragement everyone
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Blog Entries
    I've been in one trial or another for years and years. If our faith is being tested it's so it can be purified and strengthened. That's a very good thing indeed.

Just today I once again realized how completely at the mercy of God I am. I mean, totally. Every last cell in my body is at His mercy. Every last cell in everyone's body is at His mercy. Every dust particle in the universe(s) is at His mercy.

That's what I count joy. Because the God that every last cell in everyone's body and every dust particle in the universe is at the mercy of, is my Father and loves me.

Blog Entries
    There is a difference between "joy" and "happiness". Happiness is based on outside forces--events, people, weather, health. Happiness if tangent and fleeting. JOY on the otherhand is unaffected by all that stuff. Joy is the light in your spirit that is unaffected by outside events. It is the trials of life and the daily journey with the Holy Spirit that develops that joy within us. Joy is what makes the caged bird sing.

As for practical steps to develop joy....ummmm...what builds our relationship with the Holy Spirit?.... reading and meditating on the Word...prayer....praise...worship...serving others (being other-focused rather than self-focused).... yeah, I think those things are the most practical steps to developing joy in one's life.

Blog Entries
    You know, I often wonder how much joy the Spirit gets from living in me ...

I mean, really, I do. I do what I can to see to it that He does. Have joy, I mean. Since He's like stuck with me and all that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniHansen View Post
    You know, I often wonder how much joy the Spirit gets from living in me ...

I mean, really, I do. I do what I can to see to it that He does. Have joy, I mean. Since He's like stuck with me and all that.
    Amen! I try to keep Him happy as well...... and I am sure He's thrilled to see/experience me in such a frizzlin praising way!

Love you lots,
    Mieke
    Glorious Day
    Living He loved me
    Dying He saved me
    Buried He carried my sins far away
    Risen He justified
    Freely forever
    One day He's coming
    Oh Glorious Day!

Casting Crowns

Blog Entries
    Dani and Miepie, I haven't known ya'll long but I have known you long enough to know this: the Holy Spirit enjoys...enJOYS...dewelling in ya'll! Ya'll are His kind of peoples!

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." 1 Cor. 10:13

Delight yourself also in the LORD,
    And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
    Commit your way to the LORD,
    Trust also in Him,
    And He shall bring it to pass.
    He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
    And your justice as the noonday. Ps. 37:4-6 ("justice" = vindication)

God is our refuge and strength,
    A very present help in trouble.
    Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth! Ps. 46:1,10

Call upon Me in the day of trouble;
    I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me. Ps. 50:15

My soul, wait silently for God alone,
    For my expectation is from Him.
    He only is my rock and my salvation;
    He is my defense;
    I shall not be moved.
    In God is my salvation and my glory;
    The rock of my strength,
    And my refuge, is in God. Ps. 56:8-9

Trust in Him at all times, you people;
    Pour out your heart before Him;
    God is a refuge for us. Ps. 62:5-8

Blessed be the Lord,
    Who daily loads us with benefits,
    The God of our salvation! Ps. 68:19

In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
    Your comforts delight my soul. Ps. 94:19

Those who sow in tears
    Shall reap in joy.
    He who continually goes forth weeping,
    Bearing seed for sowing,
    Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing,
    Bringing his sheaves with him. Ps. 126:5-6

The LORD will perfect that which concerns me;
    Your mercy, O LORD, endures forever;
    Do not forsake the works of Your hands. Ps. 138:8

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
    How great is the sum of them!
    If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
    When I awake, I am still with You. Ps. 139:17-18

He heals the brokenhearted
    And binds up their wounds.
    He counts the number of the stars;
    He calls them all by name.
    Great is our Lord, and mighty in power;
    His understanding is infinite. Ps. 147:3-5
    Matthew 21:22

I hope this will help you a bit:
    Romans 8
    28 - And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Remember when you were a child and you really, really couldn't understand why you had to stay in bed when you were sick? I mean, you didn't FEEL all that bad. But no - your mom or your dad made you stay in bed and rest.

Now that you are older, you realize you were made to stay in bed so you could recover faster. If you had been allowed to do whatever, your cold or the mumps or whatever would have lasted twice as long.

God is the perfect parent. He knows what we need and He knows when we need it. You may not understand what is happening to you now - why it is happening. Sometimes things hurt. But please, rest assured, He knows. He sees what you are going through and He understands the anguish. He asks that you trust Him. Reach out your hand and grab hold of His - allow Him to walk you through the darkness into the blessings He has in store for you, His beloved child.

V
    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    - Mahatma Gandhi

I have found the answer to my question, and it fills me with great hope and joy too!

We are told in 1 Peter 1 that the reason we can undergo severe trials in this life without flinching and yet still find joy, is because we have our hopes set on our eternal inheritance that is waiting for us! We will inherit a kingdom, beyond what we can possibly think or imagine. This inheritance is imperishable (will never decay, depreciate), undefiled (by sin) and unfading (it's attraction will never wane, unlike the things in this world).

It is for this hope that should fill us with great joy!

1Pe 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
    1Pe 1:4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,
    1Pe 1:5 who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
    1Pe 1:6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,
    1Pe 1:7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Mat 25:33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.
    Mat 25:34 Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

1 John 4:16, Psalm 103:3,5,8,11,13,17,18, 2 Corinthians 1:3-11, 4:16-18, Psalm 34, Psalm 28:7, Psalm 25:16, 17, 18, Matthew 5:11, 22:29, Mark 6:5, 6, 9:17–24, Matthew 7:24-27, Psalm 46:1, John 16:33, Romans 8:18,26, 28,31-39, Romans 15:5, 2 Corinthians 12:9,10, Isaiah 61:1-4, Psalm 50:15, 3 John 2, Psalm 71:21, Hebrews 12:5-11, 2 Corinthians 1:8-10, Mark 4:6, 17, Revelation 3:19, 21:3,4, Psalm 33:19, Psalm 130:7, Numbers 11:1, Psalm 145:7,8,9,14, Psalm 37:28, 39, Psalm 40:11,12, Deuteronomy 28:15-68, Luke 9:39-41, Matthew 14:30,31, John 8:32, 1 John 4:4, 5:4,5, Matthew 5:4,
    1 Peter 5:7, 10

The word happiness is about happenings and being so it depends on what is going around. If the happenings are good then you’re happy but if they are bad then you’re unhappy. Here are the bible verses …
    Psalm 32- 1 Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2 Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

Thread Information