Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modern English Bibles Based on the Majority Text?

Re: Modern English Bibles Based on the Majority Text?

English Majority-Text Bible revised upon KJV website: http://www.majority-text.org and http://www.majority-text.com

Red face Re: Modern English Bibles Based on the Majority Text?

Quote Originally Posted by parkskier View Post
    Hmm...thanks for the response. I guess the choices are limited, is there a reason for that? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Modern KJV or 21st Century KJV? Or really any of those listed above (excluding the Elizabethan era ones)?
    I like the World English Bible Translation - its one of the few translations that translates Ekklesia accurately as Assembly rather than the substitution word 'Church' - which is neither a translation or even a transliteration. Seems to be an objective translation. God bless!

Does anyone know if there are any major publishers planning on doing a modern translation based on the Majority Text? I'd be interested in such a translation and I think many others would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thedee View Post
    What do you think of the NKJV?
    The newer Modern English Version, is the same exact thing as the NKJV. Based on the same text. Why they put it out, I dont know. I have a majority text version new testament. Pretty much like the TR. Except for a word here and there. The KJV is based on an inferior text. Ask yourself do you want something closer to the original or not. Thru the early centuries much was added on to form the TR and many words were not in the originals or the closest copies. Unfortunately they added on words concerning deity titles. So when you take away those words it appears like youre taking words from the Bible, when youre not. One example is the doxology of the Lords prayer. For thine is the kingdom and so on. Thats just one of the many places where the words were not original in the New Testament. The closest to the originals now are the Nestle-Aland 27, UBS 4 Greek text. Some versions that have that are ESV,HCSB,NASB (95updated), amoung others. But I believe you should stay with the most comfortable to you. Regardless of version.

I was just wondering if there are modern English Bibles that are based on the majority text. I obviously know of the NKJV (based on TR) but are there others? Currently I read a KJV, but recently the archaic language has been bothering me. I do favor the Majority text over the Critical text so options such as the NASB or ESV are not quite what I'm looking for, though I do like their language. Also if anyone has experience using these translations I'm looking for please provide your input. Thanks all!
    This post is over 6yrs old.

Hmm...thanks for the response. I guess the choices are limited, is there a reason for that? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Modern KJV or 21st Century KJV? Or really any of those listed above (excluding the Elizabethan era ones)?
    The choices are far from limited. Unless your KJVO. There are hundreds of translatons out there. Some are based on TR/Majority text. Others are more up to date. I believe the most closet to the original are the Greek text of Nestle-Aland 27th edit. UBS 4, found in the ESV,HCSB, and others. I have an english version of the Majority text. Pretty much the same as the TR.

Well I've never actually used the NKJV. See, I grew up in a family that was KJVO so it has only been recently (since I moved to college) that I started to look into the accuracy of the KJV and comparing that to other versions. I have an ESV, but like I said, I think that the Majority Text is better than the Critical Text (age isn't everything).

I guess what worries me about the NKJV is that they used the TR even for highly suspect passages and also in the places that the TR was different from the MT. This is my greatest concern and also the reason I desired an modern English version based on the Majority Text, but I guess there is none such that is published?
    Hello, I used to be KJVO, as well, and have come to the same conclusion that MT is best. I've also concluded that the New Testament writers quoted the Septuagint OT most of the time so I went in search of an English translation of the Greek OT combined with the Majority text in the NT. There is only one that I know of... the Logos Bible by Paul Esposito. It is available in print at www.majoritytext.com. I think also on Amazon. It is also available electronically I think on e-sword. It would be so nice to have them both keyed to the new strongs by Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries of the Greek and Hebrew Testaments.

MLV is probably what you're looking for - Modern Literal Version. It is translated from the Majority Text (aka Byzantine Text), it is not for profit so you can access it online for free or buy the printed book at their cost of printing (I paid $7 on Amazon).
    As far as "literal" goes, it is literally the best word-for-word translation that I've ever found. When you read the original Greek wording it becomes obvious that all other versions, even ones that claim to be literal, are not literal at all - they constantly paraphrase and reword it to tell you what THEY think it means, instead of just saying what it says in Greek.
    The MLV is absolutely 100% literal, it is not for profit and it is based on the Majority Texts. I couldn't ask for a better Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wardnthought View Post
    MLV is probably what you're looking for - Modern Literal Version. It is translated from the Majority Text (aka Byzantine Text), it is not for profit so you can access it online for free or buy the printed book at their cost of printing (I paid $7 on Amazon).
    As far as "literal" goes, it is literally the best word-for-word translation that I've ever found. When you read the original Greek wording it becomes obvious that all other versions, even ones that claim to be literal, are not literal at all - they constantly paraphrase and reword it to tell you what THEY think it means, instead of just saying what it says in Greek.
    The MLV is absolutely 100% literal, it is not for profit and it is based on the Majority Texts. I couldn't ask for a better Bible.
    It isn't actually possible to be 100% literal, because Greek is such a different language from English.

And the MLV is a bad translation, even if you accept the majority text. Look at Ephesians 1:3, for example:

NKJV: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ

MLV: The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is gracious, who blessed us in every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ

The MLV has mistranslated εὐλογητός = blessed, and the Greek ἐν means "with" here (the MLV has a philosophy that each Greek word corresponds exactly to only one English word, and that is just not true).

Thread Information