Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern English Bibles Based on the Majority Text?

Modern English Bibles Based on the Majority Text?

I was just wondering if there are modern English Bibles that are based on the majority text. I obviously know of the NKJV (based on TR) but are there others? Currently I read a KJV, but recently the archaic language has been bothering me. I do favor the Majority text over the Critical text so options such as the NASB or ESV are not quite what I'm looking for, though I do like their language. Also if anyone has experience using these translations I'm looking for please provide your input. Thanks all!

The only major published ones would be the KJV and NKJV.

There are differences between the TR and the Majority text, but are commonly grouped together.

Here are some I could dig up that are MT/TR based:

KJV
    NKJV
    KJV2000
    MKJV
    English Majority Text Version
    Byzantine Majority New Testament
    Third Millennium Bible
    Youngs Literal Translation
    WEB
    Biblemax EMTV
    BBE
    MT Greek NT Interlinear Bible

and of course, and of the Elizabethon era bibles:
    Tyndale
    Coverdale
    Bishops
    Matthews
    Great
    Geneva
    Douay Rheims
    Wycliffe
    West Saxon

Another option is to look into parallel bibles that include the KJV. Most of those when the critical-text doesn't have a corresponding TR/MT verse equivalent go ahead and include their version of what it would be anyway.

Hmm...thanks for the response. I guess the choices are limited, is there a reason for that? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Modern KJV or 21st Century KJV? Or really any of those listed above (excluding the Elizabethan era ones)?

Recently someone here showed us this new KJV without the archaic language:

http://life-equals-jesus.org/KJ2000/KJ2wordTOC.html
    Matthew 21:22

Quote Originally Posted by parkskier View Post
    I was just wondering if there are modern English Bibles that are based on the majority text. I obviously know of the NKJV (based on TR) but are there others? Currently I read a KJV, but recently the archaic language has been bothering me. I do favor the Majority text over the Critical text so options such as the NASB or ESV are not quite what I'm looking for, though I do like their language. Also if anyone has experience using these translations I'm looking for please provide your input. Thanks all!
    What do you think of the NKJV?
    BelieversNotes.com - Bible Study Notes

For it is better that he say to you, 'Come up here,' Than that you should be put lower in the presence of the prince, Whom your eyes have seen. ~ Proverbs 25:7

Well I've never actually used the NKJV. See, I grew up in a family that was KJVO so it has only been recently (since I moved to college) that I started to look into the accuracy of the KJV and comparing that to other versions. I have an ESV, but like I said, I think that the Majority Text is better than the Critical Text (age isn't everything).

I guess what worries me about the NKJV is that they used the TR even for highly suspect passages and also in the places that the TR was different from the MT. This is my greatest concern and also the reason I desired an modern English version based on the Majority Text, but I guess there is none such that is published?

Another great benefit and advantage of carrying a parallel bible, is that you can easily on one page, see the differences between the TR/MT versions (KJV, NKJV, YLT, etc) and the CT versions. (NIV, NASB, ESV).

The verses and phrases in question between the two text-bases, is usually denoted in [brackets], and since they are all paralleled on the same page, it's easy to see which text-family includes/excludes which verses/phrases.

This way, you can read a group of verses together, in context, in many versions and get the jist of what is going on; and what relevance the "added/removed/changed" phrase has to the context of the overall passage.

Remember, 99.99% of all differences are mute, and unimportant. Not one Christian doctrinal stance is lost or added when switching between the CT and the MT/TR....sure I John 5:7-8 might be trimmed up regarding the trinity in a CT version, but the trinity is found clearly throughout dozens of other books, chapters and verses in the CT bibles...so nothing is compromised.

Actually, the KJV and NKJV are both based on the Textus Receptus, not strictly-speaking the majority text. The TR was compiled by Erasmus in 1516 from a handful of majority text MSS, but is not a very good representative of the majority text IMO. The KJV New Testament was based upon a slight revision of the 3rd edition of Erasmus' Greek NT, I believe published in 1523. Since then, many revisions of Erasmus' work have been made, and in the 20th century two majority text Greek New Testaments have been compiled based upon thousands of MSS: Robinson-Pierpont's and Hodges-Farstadt's.

There is one Bible (NT) based upon the majority text though... the World English Bible (WEB). You can read it online at crosswalk, studylight and most links which have several Bible translations. Michael Paul Johnson was the editor. He developed a program (macro) to automatically make many changes to the ASV-1901 (American Standard Version - 1901) - which was a (somewhat) critical text revision of the KJV - essentially the Revised Version for Americans. He also changed it to a majority text NT. I was involved with his revision process for over two years, using Hodges-Farstad's Greek Majority Text NT apparatus at the bottom of the pages to ensure that it was thoroughly done (both regarding critical vs. majority text changes and MT vs. the TR).

It is the only modern, purely MT NT I am aware of specifically, but I believe there are a couple others out there. There is the MKJV (Modern KJV) which is a slight revision of the KJV using MT Greek MSS rather than the TR... I suppose that counts too--but it is not really a modern translation. The HCSB started out as a MT NT, but it was changed to a CT NT after being bought from Art Farstad. (It used to be called Logos21). There are also the KJV2000 and the Third Millennium Bible, but I think those are also essentially just revisions of the KJV--closer to the KJV than the NKJV. (I'm not sure about the Third Millennium Bible.) I don't think there are any purely MT fresh translations based upon the MT Greek manuscripts, which can actually be bought, either online or in a store. I read a translation based upon Robinson-Pierpont's Greek MT a few years ago, that I think is a fresh translation, but again it was just available online.

I have a couple hard copies of the WEB, one given to me in appreciation for my help on the work, but they are not available anymore, I don't think. I went to www.ebible.org, the website for the WEB Bible, and discovered that you can buy hard copies of the WEB NT and Psalms. I believe He only made a couple hundred copies of the whole Bible when he finished the work back about 1998 or so. It was intended as a Bible that could be quoted by Christian authors for no cost, and with no restrictions to the amount of text quoted. Michael was greatly opposed to the cost of quoting Bible text today.

BD
    3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Well I've never actually used the NKJV. See, I grew up in a family that was KJVO so it has only been recently (since I moved to college) that I started to look into the accuracy of the KJV and comparing that to other versions. I have an ESV, but like I said, I think that the Majority Text is better than the Critical Text (age isn't everything).

I guess what worries me about the NKJV is that they used the TR even for highly suspect passages and also in the places that the TR was different from the MT. This is my greatest concern and also the reason I desired an modern English version based on the Majority Text, but I guess there is none such that is published?
    Yours would perhaps be a minority viewpoint in the West: there are many very traditional TR-only people, while most scholars prefer the CT. The Byzantine/Majority text has support mainly from the Eastern/Greek Orthodox Community, and bibles such as the Orthodox Study Bible are based on the MT, I believe. You wouldn't agree with the study notes in that, though.

Re: Modern English Bibles Based on the Majority Text?

TR Based:

KJV (King James Version)
    ASV (American Standard Version)

KJ2000 (King James 2000)
    LITV (Literal Version)
    MKJV (Modern King James Version)
    KJV3 (King James 3)
    Evidence Bible
    RYLT (Revised Young’s Literal Version)
    KJC (King James Clarified)
    … and many others

And NKJV (although MT and CT noted in the footnotes)…

MT Based:

ALT (Analytical Literal Translation)
    EMTV (English Majority Text Version, and associated iterations thereof)…
    WEB (& HNV) (World English Bible and the related Hebrew Names Version)
    Pickering’s New Testament Translation (www.walkinhiscommandments.com)
    MLV (Modern Literal Version)
    ACV (A Conservative Version)

And in Spanish… RVG (Reina Valera – Gomez)

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Yours would perhaps be a minority viewpoint in the West: there are many very traditional TR-only people, while most scholars prefer the CT. The Byzantine/Majority text has support mainly from the Eastern/Greek Orthodox Community, and bibles such as the Orthodox Study Bible are based on the MT, I believe. You wouldn't agree with the study notes in that, though.
    The Orthodox Study Bible (OSB), at least its New Testament, is just the NKJV with study notes. There are several Orthodox translations of the New Testament based solely the Majority Text. One that is gaining mainstream popularity is called the Eastern Orthodox Bible. It's New Testament is available online for download, and you can also purchase a hard copy of it. It's Old Testament is still a work-in-progress. Although it's translated by an Orthodox team, it's pretty straightforward and non-biased, IHMO (although the introductions and appendices are very definitely Orthodox).

Quote Originally Posted by Psalms Fan View Post
    The Orthodox Study Bible (OSB), at least its New Testament, is just the NKJV with study notes.
    ...but there are substantial translational differences in the OT because the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) is based on the Septuagint OT, not the Hebrew used in most Protestant translations.

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    ...but there are substantial translational differences in the OT because the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) is based on the Septuagint OT, not the Hebrew used in most Protestant translations.
    Correct. It's called the Saint Athanasius Academy Septuagint (SAAS). It is a translation of the LXX, using the NKJV as a starting point for the wording.

THis link does not work. Wish it would. Please post one that does.

Blog Entries

Hello, welcome to the board

This link was posted almost two years ago. The website may not even be active today.Maybe someone else knows if the site is down, but if not, I can only suggest that you use google to find another site with the information you want.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Thread Information