Thread: God turned his back on his son because of sin.

God turned his back on his son because of sin.

I think people get caught up to much in their own twisted views that Jesus died on the cross because he was under the wounds of the roman empire, and so God didn't have the moral fortitude to bear the suffering of his son, so he turned away. Not true, God turned away because his son became sin.

Christ redeemed us from the curse becoming cursed himself.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    I don't see anything in Scripture that shows that God "turned his back on Jesus."

For starters, there is an excellent argument that from the Aramaic, the text doesn't say anything about "forsaken." The argument goes that the Aramaic means "For this purpose I was destined", or something to that effect.

But even if you go with the "forsaken" translation, I think we preach way too much into the text.

According to the "forsaken" translation, Jesus cried out on the cross "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me." Doesn't say anything about "God turning his back on Jesus."

We don't have any idea what Jesus meant. He was describing his emotions at the time, the way he felt. Doesn't necessarily mean that God did, just means that Jesus was feeling that at the time. Yes, he was God, but he was also a very frightened, beaten, tortured man on that cross.

The Father sacrificing His Son unto death is forsaking enough.
    He had to be forsaken of God so that those He died for would not have to be.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    For starters, there is an excellent argument that from the Aramaic, the text doesn't say anything about "forsaken." The argument goes that the Aramaic means "For this purpose I was destined", or something to that effect.
    Where can I see this argument? The reason I ask is because I'm looking at an interlinear version of the P e s h i t t a and it reads the same as the Greek.

http://aramaicnewtestament.net/gospel/matthew_27.htm

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    But even if you go with the "forsaken" translation, I think we preach way too much into the text.
    If you look at the lexical definition of egkataleipō I don't see how it's much of a stretch to use an idiomatic expression such as "he turned his back" on Jesus. If you turn your back on someone you are in effect abandoning them, which is what happened to Jesus by design. The other thing to keep in mind here is that Jesus is quoting Psalm 22:1 and there is no ambiguity in the Hebrew as to the word translated "forsaken." The Septugint uses the same Greek word found in Matthew 27:46, (egkataleipō), to translate the Hebrew of salm 22:1.

egkataleipō
    Thayer Definition:
    1) abandon, desert
    1a) leave in straits, leave helpless
    1b) totally abandoned, utterly forsaken
    2) to leave behind among, to leave surviving
    Part of Speech: verb
    A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G1722 and G2641
    In His Service,

Nomad

Got questions about Reformed theology? Want solid Biblical answers without all of the usual nastiness, mud slinging and straw-man portraits of Reformed Theology found in public forums? Then ask a Calvinist.

Ask a Calvinist

http://abidingtruth.wordpress.com/

Warranted Faith - Reformed Apologetics & Theology

Thread Information