Thread: The False Prophet

Blog Entries

The False Prophet

Reading threads here and there on this board I see may people on both sides of the fence in regards to Spiritual gifts. One of the main arguments I here from those saying the spiritual gifts have ended is them saying many today claim to be prophets with no proof of their prophecies. This has gotten me thinking about it all. If we look at Jeremiah 23 we see that God did not like false prophets back in the old testament time.

Jeremiah 23

9 ¶As for the prophets: My heart is broken within me, All my bones tremble; I have become like a drunken man, Even like a man overcome with wine, Because of the LORD And because of His holy words.
    10 For the land is full of adulterers; For the land mourns because of the curse. The pastures of the wilderness have dried up. Their course also is evil And their might is not right.
    11 "For both prophet and priest are polluted; Even in My house I have found their wickedness," declares the LORD.
    12 "Therefore their way will be like slippery paths to them, They will be driven away into the gloom and fall down in it; For I will bring calamity upon them, The year of their punishment," declares the LORD.
    13 ¶"Moreover, among the prophets of Samaria I saw an offensive thing: They prophesied by Baal and led My people Israel astray.
    14 "Also among the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen a horrible thing: The committing of adultery and walking in falsehood; And they strengthen the hands of evildoers, So that no one has turned back from his wickedness. All of them have become to Me like Sodom, And her inhabitants like Gomorrah.
    15 "Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets, `Behold, I am going to feed them wormwood And make them drink poisonous water, For from the prophets of Jerusalem Pollution has gone forth into all the land.´"
    16 ¶Thus says the LORD of hosts, "Do not listen to the words of the prophets who are prophesying to you. They are leading you into futility; They speak a vision of their own imagination, Not from the mouth of the LORD.
    17 "They keep saying to those who despise Me, `The LORD has said, "You will have peace"´; And as for everyone who walks in the stubbornness of his own heart, They say, `Calamity will not come upon you.´
    18 "But who has stood in the council of the LORD, That he should see and hear His word? Who has given heed to His word and listened?
    19 "Behold, the storm of the LORD has gone forth in wrath, Even a whirling tempest; It will swirl down on the head of the wicked.
    20 "The anger of the LORD will not turn back Until He has performed and carried out the purposes of His heart; In the last days you will clearly understand it.
    21 "I did not send these prophets, But they ran. I did not speak to them, But they prophesied.
    22 "But if they had stood in My council, Then they would have announced My words to My people, And would have turned them back from their evil way And from the evil of their deeds.
    23 ¶"Am I a God who is near," declares the LORD, "And not a God far off?
    24 "Can a man hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?" declares the LORD. "Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the LORD.
    25 ¶"I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy falsely in My name, saying, `I had a dream, I had a dream!´
    26 "How long? Is there anything in the hearts of the prophets who prophesy falsehood, even these prophets of the deception of their own heart,
    27 who intend to make My people forget My name by their dreams which they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot My name because of Baal?
    28 "The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has My word speak My word in truth. What does straw have in common with grain?" declares the LORD.
    29 "Is not My word like fire?" declares the LORD, "and like a hammer which shatters a rock?
    30 "Therefore behold, I am against the prophets," declares the LORD, "who steal My words from each other.
    31 "Behold, I am against the prophets," declares the LORD, "who use their tongues and declare, `The Lord declares.´
    32 "Behold, I am against those who have prophesied false dreams," declares the LORD, "and related them and led My people astray by their falsehoods and reckless boasting; yet I did not send them or command them, nor do they furnish this people the slightest benefit," declares the LORD.
    33 ¶"Now when this people or the prophet or a priest asks you saying, `What is the oracle of the LORD ?´ then you shall say to them, `What oracle?´ The LORD declares, `I will abandon you.´
    34 "Then as for the prophet or the priest or the people who say, `The oracle of the LORD,´ I will bring punishment upon that man and his household.
    35 "Thus will each of you say to his neighbor and to his brother, `What has the LORD answered?´ or, `What has the LORD spoken?´
    36 "For you will no longer remember the oracle of the LORD, because every man's own word will become the oracle, and you have perverted the words of the living God, the LORD of hosts, our God.
    37 "Thus you will say to that prophet, `What has the LORD answered you?´ and, `What has the LORD spoken?´
    38 "For if you say, `The oracle of the LORD !´ surely thus says the LORD, `Because you said this word, "The oracle of the LORD !" I have also sent to you, saying, "You shall not say, `The oracle of the LORD !´"´
    39 "Therefore behold, I will surely forget you and cast you away from My presence, along with the city which I gave you and your fathers.
    40 "I will put an everlasting reproach on you and an everlasting humiliation which will not be forgotten."

Has God changed His mind in any way with regards to false prophets or are they still under an everlasting reproach and humiliation? Did anything change at the cross when God extended grace to all the people outside of Israel? Did those of old or even today's false prophets get the favor of grace extended to them? Do you think what Jeremiah prophesied way back then even applies today?
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?

Blog Entries

Re: The False Prophet

I don't think God has changed his mind about false prophets.

No, He hasn't - nor have we seen the last of them. Those "book of Jeremiah" -type guys will probably be making a comeback soon. You know, those "peace and safety" prophets.
    The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Blog Entries

The false prophet is mentioned alot in Revelation...doesn't say that means there are no real prophets though.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

We are warned to beware of false prophets and false teachers. People like Jim Jones come to mind.

But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. (2 Peter 2:1)

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    (1 John 4:1-3)

I think that most these days are false prophets and false church people in general. I also think it is going to wax worse and worse just like the bible says. It is very hard these days to find true people of God who just preach of the simplicity of the cross. Everything is connected to what Jesus did on the cross. The bible warns us to beware of sheep in wolves clothing, even the devil will come as an angel of light to deceive even if it were possible the very elect, (true people of God.) That is why it is so very important to know God and the bible for ourselves. God said if we ask for wisdom that he would give it. There is many even today who have itching ears to hear only what their fleshly lusts want to hear. How many preachers of today actually preach on sin and repentance and the fear of God. Many are being lulled to sleep by fairy tales! Even the people of God need to hear messages on sin and repentance. A person that really loves you will tell you only the truth and cares how your life will wind up and tell you in love and humility, but strongly if need be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zillions View Post
    I think that most these days are false prophets and false church people in general. I also think it is going to wax worse and worse just like the bible says. It is very hard these days to find true people of God who just preach of the simplicity of the cross. Everything is connected to what Jesus did on the cross. The bible warns us to beware of sheep in wolves clothing, even the devil will come as an angel of light to deceive even if it were possible the very elect, (true people of God.) That is why it is so very important to know God and the bible for ourselves. God said if we ask for wisdom that he would give it. There is many even today who have itching ears to hear only what their fleshly lusts want to hear. How many preachers of today actually preach on sin and repentance and the fear of God. Many are being lulled to sleep by fairy tales! Even the people of God need to hear messages on sin and repentance. A person that really loves you will tell you only the truth and cares how your life will wind up and tell you in love and humility, but strongly if need be.
    I agree with what you posted here Zillions. I think there are far to many in our midst today that would rather not think about repentance. I further feel repentance is the key to this question. In the passages I posted God said he was going to put an everlasting reproach on the false prophet. That was before Jesus came to this world to redeem mankind. I think at the cross the everlasting reproach was also subject to the work of Jesus on the cross. If the false prophet today does realize the error of their ways and fully repents is there any reason they would not be fully forgiven of this sin? The power of the work of Jesus on the cross would cover this only if repentance enters into the equation.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?

Amen, trusting follower!

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

I don't think I'd say "most." Are there some fakes and charlatans? Sure.

But I don't think I'd say most.

Quote Originally Posted by zillions View Post
    I can't quite tell if you are confusing a feelgood presentation of the Gospel with false prophecy or not. The false prophets we are warned about reject that Christ is God's offer of salvation. They will not acknowledge it. They say all of the right things, but reject the Truth of the Gospel. If you are saying that some preachers are offering a "feel good" Gospel message and you believe they should emphasize the requirement of repentence, I can understand. However, unless they deny the redemptive power of Christ's blood, they aren't "false prophets".

Roll Tide 21, I am saying about both. Thanks for your input!

Thread Information