Thread: Is Darkness Synonomous With Ignorance/Blindness?

Is Darkness Synonomous With Ignorance/Blindness?

It seems like when many refer to people that walk in darkness they mean this as people walking in a wicked or sinful lifestyle. Granted, everyone who is in darkness does, in fact, also walk in a sinful or wicked lifestyle. However, is wickedness or sin the focus of the statement when it is said that someone is walking in darkness? It seems to me that blindness is the focus of the statement, and the blindness brings about the sinful or wicked lifestyle.

It would also seem to me that not all people who commit a sin are doing so because they are in darkness. Now, if they do not see the sin or acknowledge it through repentance/confession then I would say they are in darkness, but those who are in the light will "see" the sin and repent from it or confess it.

Does this make sense? Do you all think I'm off base, or do you see this similarly?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Re: Is Darkness Synonomous With Ignorance/Blindness?

Use of the word "Darkness" in our bibles...
    I can agree somewhat in that one can not see/perceive so good in darkness when compared to seeing/perceiving in the His light.

Synonymous with spiritual ignorance/foolishness ? ABSOLUTELY !
    But, not necessarily synonymous with spiritual blindness/spiritually lost.

So, don't be fooled, I am a saved and redeemed creature by Christ, yet almost daily I find myself dwelling in darkness for my own selfish reasons.
    That does not mean I am blind or lost, just means I am liable to be ignorant (a fool) at times
    But, if I abide, dwell, am comfortable, fed by or love darkness, then I am lost.

God uses the ones proclaimed foolish-ignorant to confound the (self proclaimed) enlightened-wise on the earth.

Father bless.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    Use of the word "Darkness" in our bibles...
    I can agree somewhat in that one can not see/perceive so good in darkness when compared to seeing/perceiving in the His light.

Synonymous with spiritual ignorance/foolishness ? ABSOLUTELY !
    But, not necessarily synonymous with spiritual blindness/spiritually lost.

So, don't be fooled, I am a saved and redeemed creature by Christ, yet almost daily I find myself dwelling in darkness for my own selfish reasons.
    That does not mean I am blind or lost, just means I am liable to be ignorant (a fool) at times
    But, if I abide, dwell, am comfortable, fed by or love darkness, then I am lost.

God uses the ones proclaimed foolish-ignorant to confound the (self proclaimed) enlightened-wise on the earth.

Father bless.
    Can either of you provide Scripture for the thread? I am tending to agree with Vertical's understanding that "darkness"= the inability to "see" sin for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide21 View Post
    Can either of you provide Scripture for the thread? I am tending to agree with Vertical's understanding that "darkness"= the inability to "see" sin for what it is.
    Sorry,
    I will not present a bible verse to you as if to interpret Gods word for you, read all of God's written word and pray for your own wisdom and understanding of it.

On the other hand, if you have a bible verse for me to ponder on this subject of "darkness" then I invite you to share it with me here, and I promise you I will silently ponder it and will remain open to any correction Father provides me with from it.

Father bless.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    Sorry,
    I will not present a bible verse to you as if to interpret Gods word for you, read all of God's written word and pray for your own wisdom and understanding of it.

On the other hand, if you have a bible verse for me to ponder on this subject of "darkness" then I invite you to share it with me here, and I promise you I will silently ponder it and will remain open to any correction Father provides me with from it.

Father bless.
    Wait. What?

I was simply asking if someone can provide a Bible verse that mentions darkness so that we could have a frame of reference for this discussion. I can't recall the specific verses that actually mention the term "darkness". If you know of a specific verse, maybe you could copy and paste it in this thread and we could discuss what it means.

Wait. What?

I was simply asking if someone can provide a Bible verse that mentions darkness so that we could have a frame of reference for this discussion. I can't recall the specific verses that actually mention the term "darkness". If you know of a specific verse, maybe you could copy and paste it in this thread and we could discuss what it means.
    There are quite a bit of verses that mention darkness.

Here's one, for example . . .

2 Corinthians 6:14
    Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Blog Entries

Here's one I quote now and then. It speaks volumes, I think.

John 3:18-21
    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

I say they do know they are in sin. Not that they are just blinded to it, or don't realize what they are doing. This passage says they PREFER the darkness.

No, worse than that...they actually LOVE their darkness. They choose to stay in darkness. Lest their deed be reproved!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

I say they do know they are in sin. Not that they are just blinded to it, or don't realize what they are doing. This passage says they PREFER the darkness.

No, worse than that...they actually LOVE their darkness. They choose to stay in darkness. Lest their deed be reproved!
    I think this is right. James tells us to confess our faults to one another. Ephesians also suggest the same thing.

Eph 5:11-14
    11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. 14 For this reason it says,

"Awake, sleeper,
    And arise from the dead,
    And Christ will shine on you."
    NASU

An unbeliever will continue in his sin and will not want to be free from it. A bound believer will want freedom and hate his sin. He will expose his sin and confess it to God. Then, if necessary, he will seek out help and confess it to his brothers. He wants to be in the light and will expose those things to the light because he wants to be like Christ.

A pig seeks out the waller. A sheep seeks to avoid it. Both may get muddy but one loves it.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post

I would say in a situation as you describe in relation to the OP it is more blindness than ignorance. Yes, such a person knows they are sinning, but they are blind to the reality or consequence of it. Jesus, for example, referred to the Pharisees as being blind. However, I think they also fit the example you give as well in that they loved the darkness they were in.

I would say that just because someone knows they are sinning doesn't mean they fully understand or have revelation on how much damage it does to them. This is where the blindness comes in, I think. Anyway, I agree a lot with your post. It was good.

It appears we all agree that being in darkness is more than just committing a sin.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

New member. Hope I'm not out of line.

A totally different slant on darkness:
    Isa 45: 3
    "
    3 I will give you the treasures of darkness,
    riches stored in secret places,
    so that you may know that I am the Lord,
    the God of Israel, who summons you by name.
    NIV

I wonder if this means that things hidden from us now will be revealed. At any rate this sounds as though there can be good things that are in darkness to us until the Lord reveals them.

If darkness means sin, then I am blind, because I am a sinner. I am, trust me on that. I stink. I am truly blind. But there is hope for me. A sinner that knows he deserves hell, is better than a saint that thinks he finally got his act together.

Jn 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Shalom

Blog Entries

Darkness goes deeper than mere inability to see sin for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    Darkness goes deeper than mere inability to see sin for what it is.
    Not sure you'll get much of a response. This thread is over 6 years old.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    Not sure you'll get much of a response. This thread is over 6 years old.
    I know brother. I didn't start it. I just gave my two penny worth of opinion in case whoever posted it is still online.

Thread Information