Thread: I need help...please

I need help...please

OK guys and gals. This is your chance to show off your bible knowledge a bit and help a brother out.

I am wanting to compile a list of synecdoche of God.

I am wanting every time God's hands, feet, fingers, breath, lips, or elbows are said to be doing anything.

For example...in Genesis when God made mankind he formed us out of the clay and then breathed life into us...obviously He used his hands and his breath/spirit to give us the bodies and life we have.

Then there is the finger of God which both wrote the ten commandments and was amongst the Jews during Jesus' ministry.

But I was wanting all of them....

If what I am thinking is true it will shine clearly out...

That the more of God's body parts that were involved the more difficult the task was...all the way up to the God/man coming to save our miserable souls. (obviously an exercise I wouldn't do if I were God...I know intimately how bad I really am...but HE is more gooder than I can fathom...so YEAH GOD!)

So...what ya got?

Re: I need help...please

It would help if I knew what synecdoche meant!!

I've never considered God's body parts, and don't have time to go through the Bible at present, so suggest you use good concordances related to various translations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    It would help if I knew what synecdoche meant!!

I've never considered God's body parts, and don't have time to go through the Bible at present, so suggest you use good concordances related to various translations.
    synecdoche:

Synecdoche is closely related to metonymy (the figure of speech in which a term denoting one thing is used to refer to a related thing); indeed, synecdoche is sometimes considered a subclass of metonymy. It is more distantly related to other figures of speech, such as metaphor.

I had to look it up too. lol

JohnDB you can use biblegateway or any online bible site and put in the search the words you are looking for...though I think even using the search it might be difficult..plus it could vary from different translations.

In John I think it is, it says God is a spirit...so we know He doesn't have hands, feet, etc, like we do...but I think you know that already.

Here are a few using the NKJV:

1. Exodus 8:19
    Then the magicians said to Pharaoh, “This is the finger of God.” But Pharaoh’s heart grew hard, and he did not heed them, just as the LORD had said.

2. Exodus 31:18
    And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

3. Deuteronomy 9:10
    Then the LORD delivered to me two tablets of stone written with the finger of God, and on them were all the words which the LORD had spoken to you on the mountain from the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.

Deuteronomy 3:24
    ‘O Lord GOD, You have begun to show Your servant Your greatness and Your mighty hand, for what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do anything like Your works and Your mighty deeds?

Deuteronomy 4:34
    Or did God ever try to go and take for Himself a nation from the midst of another nation, by trials, by signs, by wonders, by war, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?

Deuteronomy 5:15
    And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.

Deuteronomy 7:19
    the great trials which your eyes saw, the signs and the wonders, the mighty hand and the outstretched arm, by which the LORD your God brought you out. So shall the LORD your God do to all the peoples of whom you are afraid.

There are several pages you can look through here on this link with bible verses using the search word, God hand:

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/...startnumber=26

Hope that helps. I will try to look for some more later.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Re: I need help...please

Exodus 33:18-23
    18 And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.”
    19 Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” 20 But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” 21 And the LORD said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.”
    This is a favorite of mine.
    Mark

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14

(All Scripture quoted is from NKJV unless otherwise noted)

Thread Information