Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did God bless Ishmael and his descendants

Why did God bless Ishmael and his descendants

For some reason, I never realized that God actually blessed Ishmael but I read that He did. Don't have my Bible with me to put scripture reference. Anywho ---- this has really confused my thinking because I've always thought all the problems in the Middle East stem from Isaac and Ishmael. Why would God do this if Israel is His chosen? And I'm probably not asking my question the right way but what do you think?

Anyone??

Re: Why did God bless Ishmael and his descendants

God blesses because of His character.

Matthew 5:45-"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Genesis 17:18 And Abraham said unto God: 'Oh that Ishmael might live before Thee!' 19 And God said: 'Nay, but Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son; and thou shalt call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his seed after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee; behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

He was blessed because he too was Abraham's son.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Genesis 17:18 And Abraham said unto God: 'Oh that Ishmael might live before Thee!' 19 And God said: 'Nay, but Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son; and thou shalt call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his seed after him. 20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee; behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

...THAT TOO!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Blog Entries

Any promise given to Ishmael was through Abraham's blessing. Ishamel was raised in Abraham's house and circumcised. No doubt he knew Abraham's God and His ways. Yet the first thing Hagar does is find pagan wives for Ishmael. Also Note that Hagar was not blessed, but Sarah was blessed, also that ALL of Israel came from her womb exclusively. Also note that Sari is the only woman in the Bible whom God honered withi a new name - adding a letter of His own Name (hey) to hers.

Ok, Fenris, this is why I'm confused. Because didn't God say that the descendants of Ishmael would be constantly against the descendants of Isaac. I'm sure I'm thinking about this too much.

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    ...THAT TOO!
    Which would mean that God takes notice of physical progeny.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    Ok, Fenris, this is why I'm confused. Because didn't God say that the descendants of Ishmael would be constantly against the descendants of Isaac. I'm sure I'm thinking about this too much.
    Taking short cuts around God's will always have consequences.

Genesis 16:11 11 And the angel of the LORD said unto her: 'Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son; and thou shalt call his name Ishmael, because the LORD hath heard thy affliction. 12 And he shall be a wild ass of a man: his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the face of all his brethren.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Taking short cuts around God's will always have consequences.
    Never seen that way by Jews.

Blog Entries

Never seen that way by Jews.
    That's alright. I don't agree with Rashi's characterizations of Sarah either.

For some reason, I never realized that God actually blessed Ishmael but I read that He did. Don't have my Bible with me to put scripture reference. Anywho ---- this has really confused my thinking because I've always thought all the problems in the Middle East stem from Isaac and Ishmael. Why would God do this if Israel is His chosen? And I'm probably not asking my question the right way but what do you think?

Anyone??
    Israel was chosen in the past, to bring Messiah to the world in fulfilling the promises and prophecies.

Beyond that, each person is blessed or cursed by God according to their own responsibility, and acceptance/rejection of Him. It is a matter of faithfulness; not of lineages, pedigrees, and DNA.

The problems in the middle east are not because of lineages, rather, they are because of wicked sinfulness running amuck in peoples lives. Those who yeild to the Lord and faithfully follow Him, are God's chosen now.

That's alright. I don't agree with Rashi's characterizations of Sarah either.
    I don't get it. Rachel and Leah give their handmaidens to Jacob, and round out the 12 tribes. Sarah gives her handmaiden to Abraham, and they're "aking short cuts around God's will""? Tell me the difference, because I can't see it.

Blog Entries

I don't get it. Rachel and Leah give their handmaidens to Jacob, and round out the 12 tribes. Sarah gives her handmaiden to Abraham, and they're "aking short cuts around God's will""? Tell me the difference, because I can't see it.
    Different story, different circumstance. Though I can understand why you bless your daughters to be like Leah, I'll never figure out why you bless your daughters to be like Rachel, who had some rather bad habits. Is it because she bore Yosef?

On edit...I don't understand why you bless your daughters like Leah either. She wasn't loved by her husband.

Different story, different circumstance.
    And what was different?

Though I can understand why you bless your daughters to be like Leah, I'll never figure out why you bless your daughters to be like Rachel, who had some rather bad habits.
    Are we reading the same bible here?

Thread Information