View Poll Results: Should a congregation have a doctrinal statement?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 72.22%
  • No

5 27.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should a congregation have a doctrinal statement?

Should a congregation have a doctrinal statement?

This was inspired by brother Tommy's comments on a blog.

Is it according to the ways of the Lord?
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Re: Should a congregation have a doctrinal statement?

Here's his take on it.

"I think that doctrinal statement are born out of a need of human control over the Spirit of God

it was born initially as a way to unite christians under the same creed,… as more and more christians were anything but christians, … and as more and more human leaders were leading instead of the Spirit of Christ

doctrinal statement is the root to denominationalism, as Jon pointed out
    and if I don’t want to be something, it’s to be “just an other” denomination.

faith and freedom in the body of Christ is painful and scarry, full of dangers and pitfalls… a good way to avoid this is doctrinal statement, .. which is also a good way to divide from brothers, and to shut down the Holy Spirit. With doctrinal statement, we don’t need God anymore to tell us the truth: we got it! So God doesn’t manifest himself anymore, and we ask why…
    "
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Blog Entries

If so, it should be short.

There are some examples I can think of that are IMHO absurd.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Amos_with_goats View Post
    If so, it should be short.

There are some examples I can think of that are IMHO absurd.
    I also like what Tommy (jokingly) says; "I would make a doctrinal statement about not having a doctrinal statement"

Aren't we supposed to testify of what we have seen and heard, the light, rather than our beliefs?

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

I think every individual should have a doctrinal statement.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    Hmm. I wholeheartedly agree with this...I think.

Can you explain what you mean?

Blog Entries

I think we do (although, it may or may not truly be our own).

Churches do well to make theirs brief, least they find room only for the one guy who wrote it.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Ah! You just improved the formula. Let every individual have a set of beliefs to divide them from the brothers

Of course, we all have different ideas and beliefs. But we shouldn't hold on to those tightly, otherwise it is impossible to come into the perfect unity of faith. We should not hold on to beliefs, we should cling to Christ.

"By their doctrinal statement you will recognize them?" Not quite.

Is it about beliefs, or living faith?

Now let me ask you another one...

Is a doctrinal statement about beliefs or living faith?

Certainly. All of them could simply read: We heard a bunch of stuff from people that influenced us, and we're going to list all that to look like we know what we believe; but in reality we believe what we know and don't you dare challenge it, 'cuz it's true even if we can't support it from Scripture. (Then list a trinity creed nobody's ever read, and several spiritual-sounding confirmations from denominational materials.) Preferably all in calligraphy. :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neanias View Post
    Sorry for the ignorance, but could you please define what that means exactly? Thanks. Specifically what IS a "doctrinal statement".

Perhaps an example of what your talking about.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by PneumaPsucheSoma View Post
    Certainly. All of them could simply read: We heard a bunch of stuff from people that influenced us, and we're going to list all that to look like we know what we believe; but in reality we believe what we know and don't you dare challenge it, 'cuz it's true even if we can't support it from Scripture. (Then list a trinity creed nobody's ever read, and several spiritual-sounding confirmations from denominational materials.) Preferably all in calligraphy. :-)
    Don't forget to fram it!

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Sorry for the ignorance, but could you please define what that means exactly? Thanks. Specifically what IS a "doctrinal statement".

Perhaps an example of what your talking about.
    Sure. A 'statement of Faith'... Whatever we might call it. It usually goes something like...

"We believe that.... (something about the trinity, something about the Father, something about the Son, something about the Holy Spirit.)

Here's an example, and here's another.

As it says at the end, "Approved by board of governors". Doesn't it just show that this is according to the government of this world?

Of course. Since the bible is interpreted in a multitude of ways, it is good to know how any given church says it interprets the bible. But here is the catch, I have been to churches which had wonderful doctrinal statements, yet when you got inside and looked under the covers, you found that the doctrinal statements really didn't cover everything they believed. So, often times, a doctrinal statement is worth no more than the paper it is written on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post

Of course. Since the bible is interpreted in a multitude of ways, it is good to know how any given church says it interprets the bible. But here is the catch, I have been to churches which had wonderful doctrinal statements, yet when you got inside and looked under the covers, you found that the doctrinal statements really didn't cover everything they believed. So, often times, a doctrinal statement is worth no more than the paper it is written on.
    Yes!
    This echoes something brother Tommy said; "I know a bunch of false teachers that have the best doctrine we could ever hope for."

Here's another one of the answers on the blog that was right on
    "The Body of Christ, or the one true Church, is already unified in Him. No need for a separate doctrinal statement to join … Christ is our doctrinal statement!" - Swanny

Often times, the doctrinal statement actually replaces Christ and the Spirit in the church. We are to be born of one Spirit, and that should bring us together, not 'beliefs'.

Thread Information