Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean to be firstfruits?

What does it mean to be firstfruits?

Not wanting to derail a thread with regards to Firstfruits, I thought it good to understand what it means to "firstfruits" so what do we understand the following scripture to mean?

Rom 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Thank you, and God bless you!

Just to be sure, I am not asking what it means to be me!!!!

Firstfruits

Blog Entries

Re: What does it mean to be firstfruits?

Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post

Firstfruits
    Yeah... it's probably a good thing you made that specification right from the start brother!!

I think we'd all answer something like, "I don't know.... can you tell US, according to what YOU believe it's like to be you?"

God Bless you my friend!
    Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markdrums View Post
    Yeah... it's probably a good thing you made that specification right from the start brother!!

I think we'd all answer something like, "I don't know.... can you tell US, according to what YOU believe it's like to be you?"

God Bless you my friend!
    Thanks Markdrums,

God bless you too!

Firstfruits

Not wanting to derail a thread with regards to Firstfruits, I thought it good to understand what it means to "firstfruits" so what do we understand the following scripture to mean?

Rom 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Firstfruits
    That's what I was going to ask you!!!!!!!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Firstfruits
    Greetings Firstfruits,

In that particular verse it says, "firstfruits of the Spirit." Paul, speaking to first century Christians is saying they are the "first" in order to be indwelt with the Spirit sent from Christ after He left this world. Before Christ sent the Spirit, He (Spirit) was "with" them, but after Christ sent Him (Spirit), He shall be "in" them.

Joh*14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    Joh*14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Joh*16:5 But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
    Joh*16:6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
    Joh*16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Blessings,
    RW

Quote Originally Posted by RogerW View Post
    Greetings Firstfruits,

In that particular verse it says, "firstfruits of the Spirit." Paul, speaking to first century Christians is saying they are the "first" in order to be indwelt with the Spirit sent from Christ after He left this world. Before Christ sent the Spirit, He (Spirit) was "with" them, but after Christ sent Him (Spirit), He shall be "in" them.

Joh*14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    Joh*14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Joh*16:5 But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
    Joh*16:6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
    Joh*16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Blessings,
    RW
    Thank you RW,

It says, not only they but we ourselve also which have the firstfruits of the spirit, which would mean it is not a case of being first since all that have the spirit have the firstfruits of the spirit.

We have all that makes us firstfruits.

Jas 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

It is the word of God that makes us firstfruits not whether or not you heard the word first.

Firstfruits

Firstfruits is a status that believers share with Jesus, Just as Jesus is born according to the word of God, so are we.

Jas 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Firstfruits

I thought I'd add this to the thread.

In Hebrew firstfruits can also rendered "firstborn" Bechor!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    I thought I'd add this to the thread.

In Hebrew firstfruits can also rendered "firstborn" Bechor!
    Yes I agree,

Heb 12:18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,

Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Firstfruits

Firstfruits
    Hey FF, my understanding would be this:

"Firstfruits" originally meant the very best of a crop, the "first" among the "fruits" of a harvest - and was that which was to be given to God. You brought in the harvest, and you selected the absolute choicest morsels, and it would be these "firstfruits" which you offered to God.

I can see 2 ways in which we can understand the sense in which Paul uses the word:

The first, very closely tied to the typical usage, to convey that we have the very best of the Spirit - not just at certain times for certain causes, as had been the case prior to Christ's coming, but permanently indwelling. This would make the overall message that the whole of creation is waiting for all to be put right at the glory of Christ's second coming - and even with the perfect, incredible, best-of-the-best gift we've been given of the indwelling spirit, even we too can't wait for this even better day to come. I can't see this as a perfect fit with the surrounding texts, but a pretty good one and, as I say, very consistent with the meaning of the word.

The second way in which we could understand it would be to mean that just as the whole of creation yearns for all to be made perfect, now that we have had this first taste (being the indwelling of the Spirit), this first and wonderful part of all that is coming, now we too are yearning, and desperate for what is to come! This is more consistent with the surrounding text, but not quite as close a tie with the typical meaning of "firstfruits".

I'm more inclined to lean towards the second, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's entirely intentional that Paul used a metaphor with a depth of meaning to convey multiple, equally valid truths.
    Call to Me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3
    You put the stars in the sky and you know them by name, You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same, You are amazing, God.
    I do not 'hope' I am saved and I do not 'think' I am saved, I know it with an absolute conviction. I know that I am saved just as I know that I think and I know that I feel. I am purchased and sealed, His possession.

Blog Entries

ID I agree.... my understanding is also, that the first fruits is a promise of what is to come.... if the first fruit is good, the rest will be also.

Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

Firstfruits
    Israel was to give the first part of the harvest to God in recognition that: 1) the entire harvest belonged to him, and 2) as an act of faith that God would provide the rest of the harvest to Israel. In order to understand what Paul is saying here, we need to conceive of salvation in terms of what God does for us now, and what he will do for us later. Now, God grants us the Holy Spirit. Later, God will grant us our glorification. Granting us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is like God giving US the first fruits of all that he intends to give us. He gives us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit 1) in recognition that our complete salvation belongs to us, and 2) that giving us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in an act of faith on God's part.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmenseDisciple View Post
    Hey FF, my understanding would be this:

"Firstfruits" originally meant the very best of a crop, the "first" among the "fruits" of a harvest - and was that which was to be given to God. You brought in the harvest, and you selected the absolute choicest morsels, and it would be these "firstfruits" which you offered to God.

I can see 2 ways in which we can understand the sense in which Paul uses the word:

The first, very closely tied to the typical usage, to convey that we have the very best of the Spirit - not just at certain times for certain causes, as had been the case prior to Christ's coming, but permanently indwelling. This would make the overall message that the whole of creation is waiting for all to be put right at the glory of Christ's second coming - and even with the perfect, incredible, best-of-the-best gift we've been given of the indwelling spirit, even we too can't wait for this even better day to come. I can't see this as a perfect fit with the surrounding texts, but a pretty good one and, as I say, very consistent with the meaning of the word.

The second way in which we could understand it would be to mean that just as the whole of creation yearns for all to be made perfect, now that we have had this first taste (being the indwelling of the Spirit), this first and wonderful part of all that is coming, now we too are yearning, and desperate for what is to come! This is more consistent with the surrounding text, but not quite as close a tie with the typical meaning of "firstfruits".

I'm more inclined to lean towards the second, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's entirely intentional that Paul used a metaphor with a depth of meaning to convey multiple, equally valid truths.
    Knowing the importance of the Spirit, I would apply both, with regards to the following scriptures.

2 Cor 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Quote Originally Posted by BroRog View Post
    Israel was to give the first part of the harvest to God in recognition that: 1) the entire harvest belonged to him, and 2) as an act of faith that God would provide the rest of the harvest to Israel. In order to understand what Paul is saying here, we need to conceive of salvation in terms of what God does for us now, and what he will do for us later. Now, God grants us the Holy Spirit. Later, God will grant us our glorification. Granting us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is like God giving US the first fruits of all that he intends to give us. He gives us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit 1) in recognition that our complete salvation belongs to us, and 2) that giving us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in an act of faith on God's part.
    Agreed, we are Gods firstfruits.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Firstfruits

Agreed, we are Gods firstfruits.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Firstfruits
    In what context are you applying that 'we' are the firstfruits? If I understand the concept while the harvest is matured and bearing fruit only a select few is taken as the firstfruits of the harvest. With that understanding are you applying that we are the firstfruits centuries removed from Christ?

Thread Information