Thread: My Daily Bible Study - Peter (2)

My Daily Bible Study - Peter (2)

Peter

Quote (Henry H. Halley)”Some church historians think there is not sufficient evidence that Peter was ever in Rome. Most of them, however, agree that it is probable that, about the last year of his life, Peter did go to Rome, either by order of Nero or of his own accord to steady the Christians under the terrific blows of Nero’s persecution.
    ‘Babylon’ (5:13) Some take this to be literal Babylon of the Euphrates. But quite generally it is thought to mean Rome. In those times of persecution, for prudence sake Christians had to be careful how they spoke of the ruling power, and had a name for it that they, but not an outsider, would understand.
    Nero’s persecution of Christians AD64-67 was very severe in and around Rome but was not general over the empire. However the example of the emperor encouraged the enemies of Christians everywhere to take the slightest pretext to persecute. It was a trying time, the Church was about 35 years old. It had suffered persecutions in various localities at the hands of local authorities. But now Imperial Rome, which had hitherto been indifferent, even in some cases friendly, had accused the church of a terrible crime and was undertaking to punish it.
    The Church was undergoing a world trial(5:9). It seemed as if the end had come. It was literally a ‘fiery trial’(4:12). Christians were being burned nightly in Nero’s gardens. It did look as though the devil, as a ‘roaring lion’(5:8) was about to devour the Church.
    It is thought possible that Peter may have written this letter immediately after Paul’s martyrdom, about 66AD, and sent it by Silas (5:12), who had been one of Paul’s helpers, to those churches that Paul had founded, to encourage them to bear up under suffering.
    Thus the epistle was born in the atmosphere of suffering, shortly before Peter’s own martyrdom, exhorting Christians not to think it strange that they had to suffer, reminding them that Christ did His Work by suffering.

Re: My Daily Bible Study - Peter (2)

[B]1 Peter 1[/B

]What does the text say?- Peter wrote to God’s elect who are strangers to, and scattered throughout, the world; and who have been Called according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying Work of the Holy Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by His Blood, knowing that they experience abundant Grace and Peace in the time of trial, as they have faith for Salvation which is much more precious than gold and will be proved genuine and result in praise, glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and trust Him to be the Creator and Saviour of the world, so you are filled with inexpressible Joy, for you are receiving the Salvation of your souls. Therefore prepare your minds for action, be self-controlled, set your hope fully on the Grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. Keep apart from all ungodliness and live your lives in reverent fear, for you were Redeemed with the precious blood of Christ who was revealed in these last times for you, who through Him, believe in God who raised Jesus Christ from the dead and gave Him Glory – so your faith and hope are in God. Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the Truth you have sincere love for your brothers, so love each other deeply with a pure heart, for you have been Born Again through the living and enduring Word of God.

Application?- I have been Called according to the foreknowledge of God. Am I obedient to Jesus Christ? Abundant Grace and Peace are available to me in times of trial. Will my faith in Jesus Christ be proved genuine or false? Do I believe Jesus Christ Created the world from nothing? Do I trust Him to be my Saviour? Am I self-controlled? Do I concentrate on God’s Saving Power through Jesus Christ in times of trial, or do I concentrate on the trial? Do I always do what will please God? Do I love all other Christians, or only those I like?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Seven divine qualities (5-11), Virtue, Knowledge, Self-control, Patience, Godliness, Brotherly kindness, Love. These are the Fruit of the precious faith which we are to add to the Blessings which God has multiplied to us. They are steps from earth to Heaven, starting in faith and culminating in love in the eternal Home of God.”

1 Peter 2

What does the text say? – Rid yourselves of all malice, hypocrisy, envy and slander of every kind; instead crave pure spiritual milk so that you may grow up in your Salvation now that you know that the Lord is Gracious. As you have come to Him who is loving and precious, and chosen by God to be the cornerstone of you who are being built together into a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ, and held together by Him. To you, Jesus Christ is precious, but to those who reject Him He has become a stone that causes many to stumble when they disobey God’s Word, and is a Rock that makes them fall. But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people to proclaim the praises of Him who Called you out of darkness into His wonderful Light. I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinfulness that wars against your soul. Live in such a way that those you live among cannot accuse you of any wrong, but see your good deeds and Glorify God. For the Lord’s sake submit to the laws of your nation and so silence those against you. Live as free men but don’t use that liberty to cover wickedness. Show proper respect for everyone, love all believers, fear God and honour the king. Submit to those over you, even if they are harsh for it is commendable to bear up under unjust suffering. To suffer for doing good is commendable before God. Emulate Christ who did not retaliate when insults were hurled at Him, when He suffered He did not threaten but committed Himself to God the Righteous Judge. He bore our Sins on the Cross so we might die to Sin and live for righteousness. By His wounds you have been Healed; for you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and overseer of our souls.

Application?- Am I ever malicious, hypocritical, envious, or slanderous? Do I crave greater knowledge of God and His Word? Do I offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God? I have been chosen by the Lord to serve Him by proclaiming His praises. Do I do anything that will displease the Lord or allow anyone to accuse me of any wrong? Does my behaviour encourage others to Glorify God because of the things I do? Do I submit to all the laws of my nation, or try to ‘bend the rules a bit’? Do I show proper respect for everyone? Do I fear God? Do I love all believers? Do I submit to those with authority over me, including when I am wrongly accused of wrong? I have been Healed. Am I fully submitted to the Lord?

1 Peter 3

What does the text say?- In the same way that servants obey their masters, wives should submit to their husbands, even if those husbands are not Christians, so they may be won over by the purity and reverence of their wives, whose beauty should be mainly the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. Husbands, be considerate to your wives and treat them with respect, as those who have also received the Gift of Life – so nothing will hinder your prayers. All of you should live in harmony with each other, blessing each other, so that you may receive a Blessing, for the Lord is open to the righteous and against evil, for even if you suffer for doing good you are Blessed. Always be ready to tell questioners the reason for the Hope you have, in ways that will please the Lord, so those who speak against you will be ashamed. It is better to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. Christ suffered once for Sins, the Just for the unjust, to bring us to God. His body died, but He was made Alive by the Holy Spirit, by whom He went and preached to those imprisoned, who long ago disobeyed God while Noah’s Ark was being prepared; that water symbolises baptism that now Saves us, when it is the pledge of a good conscience towards God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who is now at the right hand of God, with all heavenly authority in submission to Him.

Application? – Do I always live in harmony with other Christians? Do I always bless each one of them? I am Blessed by the Lord, even when I suffer when I have done nothing wrong. When I am dead to this world I will be alive in the Spirit. Am I always able and willing to tell others why I trust Jesus Christ to be my Saviour, and the Blessings I have received from Him? Have I been baptised after submitting my life to God through Jesus Christ?

1 Peter 4

What does the text say? – Therefore, as a result of suffering for Christ a person will not live the rest of their earthly life for human desires but for God’s Will, for we have spent too much time in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. As you no longer indulge in such things abuse will be heaped on you, but they will have to explain themselves to God. The end of all things is near, therefore be clear-minded and self-controlled in your prayers; above all love each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality without grumbling and serve each other with whatever Gifts you have received, so God will be praised through Jesus Christ, who will have Power and Glory for ever. Don’t think it strange that you suffer, but rejoice that Christ’s Glory will be revealed. Let no one suffer for doing wrong but only for being a Christian, for Judgement is coming to the House of God first. If it is hard for the righteous to be saved what will become of the un-righteous? So commit yourselves to your Creator and continue to do good.

Application? – Is it my desire to always do God’s Will or my human desires? Am I as clear-minded and self-controlled as possible? Do I demonstrate love for those Christians I don’t like? Do I offer hospitality without grumbling? Do I use the Gifts I have been given for God’s Glory and the benefit of others? I must not think it strange when I am abused when doing God’s Will? Have I committed myself to my Creator God and live to please Him?

1 Peter 5

What does the text say? – As an Elder, witness to Christ’s suffering and those who will share in the Glory to be revealed. Peter appealed to church elders to be shepherds of God’s flock under their care, serving as overseers who are willing and eager to serve – not lording over those entrusted to their care, but being examples to the flock - then when Christ returns they will receive the crown of glory that never fades. Younger people must submit to their elders, in fact all believers should humbly submit to each other, for God resists the proud but gives Grace to the humble and will exalt them in good time. Cast all your cares on the Lord, for He cares for you. Be self-controlled, and vigilant because your enemy the devil is like a roaring lion seeking a meal; resist him, standing firm in the faith, knowing the same sufferings are experienced by other Christians throughout the world. May the God of all grace who called us to His everlasting Glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, strengthen and establish you, strong, firm and steadfast. To Him be Glory and dominion for ever. Greet each other with a kiss of love. Peace to you all who are in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Application? – Am I willing and eager to serve the Lord? Am I a good example to other Christians? Do I try to make anyone subservient to me? Do I submit to church elders? Do I submit to all other Christians? Am I proud, or truly humble? Do I give all my cares to the Lord and leave them with Him – or do I pick them up again? Am I self-controlled and vigilant against the devil’s ways of luring people away from Christ? If I don’t stand firm against ‘little’ Sins I will crumble when real hardship comes.

Thread Information