Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Calendar of Enoch

Blog Entries

Article: The Calendar of Enoch

"Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

This is utterly fascinating. Thank you, Cyb. This is good evidence that what some critics would call Biblical anachronyms (http://thecitizens.blogspot.com/2004...acrifice.html; http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n8856707/; http://www.tektonics.org/af/anachronisms.html; http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/995bewar.html) might more accurately be called Enochronyms. ... You think?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eyelog. Bible skeptics have often zeroed in on (apparent) errors in Old Testament dates. However their 'contradiction' examples have been reducing in number as believing scholars have fine-tuned ancient chronology. For example, a major improvement in the dating of the Kings of Israel happened last century which 'pulled the rug' out from skeptics earlier arguments.

This ancient calendar information will also serve to explain some of the critical questions that have been thrown at us. As you say, it is more "evidence."

Interesting stuff, Cyberseeker. I had always wondered if there was any significance to Enoch's age when he was taken by God. I mean, there has to be, since God included it in the Bible, but it's interesting how he lived the same number of years as the number of days in a year.

Blog Entries
    Yes, if Enoch died naturally aged 365 years, we might write it off as a curious coincidence. But it was God who deliberately 'took him.' He was providing us with a sign concerning the calendar. I think we can be fairly sure about that.

Re: Article: The Calendar of Enoch

Very nice article. I bookmarked this. I, too was fascinated by the calendar Enoch used when I read that book, and I noticed right away (being into math) how one could use a 360 or 364 day calendar with intercalations based on the number 7 and over time the average of the year comes out to 365+ days. But that was just my math analysis (and opinion) of it. I am pleased to see that this was discovered verifying what I suspected.

Blog Entries
    We are on the same page Tim. A few Dead Sea scholars (for example Jean Carmignac) have noticed this. However most studies get hazy after the '7-year' leap year. I believe an intercalation occurred on the 49th year and once again (a final intercalation) on the 490th year. It is not commonly realised that 490 years was a repeating unit of time - a 'Grand Jubilee.'

Great blog, and an interest of mine for years. Has this given us any clearer conclusions about calculating the duration of time from Enoch going forward? And can we now determine what should be Day 1 in each modern year? Or a better estimate what year we're in?

I'd like to convert to the Enochian calendar for my personal life, even if the Gregorian has to be maintained for interactivity. Is there any simple way to now determine that?

Blog Entries
    I have mixed feelings about going back to the Enochian calendar. Yes, it would still work and it could be converted to our Gregorian system too. Actually there are calendar reform groups around who are proposing similar ideas.

However, I suspect that if the Enochian calendar was resurrected some people would be tempted to predict future events on special jubilees. I dont believe that should be done because the jubilee arrived in Christ.

That was an interesting read Cyber. Any idea where the remaining adjustment may have come from? Very interesting.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Cyber, following your figures above, if you add an additional 49 days every 490 years (grand Jubilee), you come up with 365.2429 days in a year. I'm not quite sure how to put those 49 days in there, but it is without question an interesting number...

The Average Gregorian year is 365.2425 days.By adding that 49 years every grand jubilee, you come up with 365.2429. That is a difference of 1.176 hours every 490 years. Or a little over 2 hours a millenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    The Average Gregorian year is 365.2425 days.By adding that 49 years every grand jubilee, you come up with 365.2429. That is a difference of 1.176 hours every 490 years. Or a little over 2 hours a millenia.
    How long did the Lord still the earth for Joshua? Any chance that could play a role?

And what is the significance of 10 jubilees? Hmmm...

So 49 years added every 490 years. Is that what you are saying? Or 49 days for every 490 years?
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

49 days.
    I'm not real sure what exactly the significance of 490 years is, only that it seems to be significant to God. Daniel's 70 weeks, Jesus' answer of 70 times 7 for forgiveness, and I think it plays into the time that Israel was in Egypt. That was 430 years, but if memory serves me at all (and that's debatable, lol) that other 60 years is counted from somewhere.
    The earth stood still for a day I think. Not sure how that would figure in tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    49 days.
    I'm not real sure what exactly the significance of 490 years is, only that it seems to be significant to God. Daniel's 70 weeks, Jesus' answer of 70 times 7 for forgiveness, and I think it plays into the time that Israel was in Egypt. That was 430 years, but if memory serves me at all (and that's debatable, lol) that other 60 years is counted from somewhere.
    The earth stood still for a day I think. Not sure how that would figure in tho.
    If there were 12 millenia, and it stood still for a day, then that's one less day over the period of time needed to make it all work. It would have been the missing 2 hours per 1000 years. Maybe. Not sure. I haven't thought this through yet so much as just interested in it.

Don't forget too that Israel was in bondage for 70 years after not keeping the sabbath for 490 years.
    NASU

Thread Information