View Poll Results: Which Bible do you use the most? (more than one choice allowed)

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • New International Version

29 22.83%
  • English Standard Version

24 18.90%
  • New Living Translation

7 5.51%
  • King James (Authorised Version)

57 44.88%
  • New King James Version

33 25.98%
  • The Message

0 0%
  • American Standard Version

7 5.51%
  • Good News Bible

2 1.57%
  • Other (Explain!)

14 11.02%
  • I read the Bible in another Language (explain!)

5 3.94%
  • New American Standard Bible

28 22.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Bible Translations Poll and Discussion

Blog Entries

Re: Bible Translations Poll and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by vinceteal View Post
    I have read "Holy Bible".. "The Open Bible EXPANDED EDITION". I signed my Bible in 1990. Through the years I have riddled it with book marks.

Is this Bible in the list?
    Hi vinceteal, "The Open Bible" is a type of study Bible. That title applies to the notes in the Bible, not the translation itself. Your Open Bible will be either King James Version (KJV), New King James Version (NKJV) or a New American Standard Bible (NASB). It will say one of those three on the side binding and on the inside cover page.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    • Which English language translation do you use most frequently, and why?

• Do you have any other translations that you use occassionally or do you stick with one version only?

• Do you read the Bible in some other language - which one?

• Vote for your favourite Bible Translation...!

For some reason I find this incredibly fascinating having grown up in a country where all bibles look the same and really only one translation existed. When I lived in London I was blown away when I went in to a Christian bookshop and realised that buying a bible in English was not a matter of just grabbing the standard issue from the shelf and paying. Being a real geek I have read about this online and came across the slightly bewildering "KJV only" debate which seems to be a hot potato.

As for my own purchase, I finally bought an American bible called the New Living Translation - that had tons of interesting comments. This bible reads like a book of fiction, practically. It is no effort whatsoever reading it and I feel it really brings the bible to life for me.
    I read the NIV because it came out at a time in my life when I began to get more seriously engaged in theology. It is an attempt to speak in our own contemporary language without sacrificing too much the literal translation. I wasn't initially into translation, but into understanding what was being said.

The NIV was a shared effort, utilizing scholars as well as those skilled at communicating, I believe. I think there were different translators from one book to another, if I'm not mistaken. There were a few novel translations that I didn't like--"the Kingdom advances forcefully," for example. I like "the Kingdom *suffers* violence." I don't like the "placing of abominations on a wing of the temple" in Dan 9 either. I prefer "the abomination comes on the *wing of abominations." But overall, I liked the update to current language use in English. I liked a more updated inclusion of "notes" in my version as well.

I really like the NASB because it's a literal word for word translation that is not hard to understand.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    I really like the NASB because it's a literal word for word translation that is not hard to understand.
    I agree. It's kinda clunky, but the Greek behind the English shows through.

Well, necro thread but:

New International Version
    English Standard Version
    King James (Authorised Version)
    New King James Version
    Other (Explain!)
    New American Standard Bible

Other being Greek, Hebrew, and Finnish (though I'm particularly garbage with Finnish). Reason? Comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    Well, necro thread but:

New International Version
    English Standard Version
    King James (Authorised Version)
    New King James Version
    Other (Explain!)
    New American Standard Bible

Other being Greek, Hebrew, and Finnish (though I'm particularly garbage with Finnish). Reason? Comparison.
    That's pretty good--a favorite version, and checking with other versions as well. And original languages. But Finnish? Why not Swede-Finnish? I guess I'm a little biased because both my grandparents on one side were Swedish speakers from Finland! No, I don't speak it...

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    That's pretty good--a favorite version, and checking with other versions as well. And original languages. But Finnish? Why not Swede-Finnish? I guess I'm a little biased because both my grandparents on one side were Swedish speakers from Finland! No, I don't speak it...
    Because I'm Finnish

Blog Entries

This thread is 6 years old. Wonder how I voted. It might be different now.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    This thread is 6 years old. Wonder how I voted. It might be different now.
    What would you vote now?
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    What would you vote now?
    That’s not easy to answer. This week alone I used the KJV, TNIV, ESV and CSB. Two of which aren’t listed. Fair enough to the poll creator. The 2011 NIV was released by this time and so TNIV was out of print. And CSB wasn’t in existence. HCSB was and it’s not listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    • Which English language translation do you use most frequently, and why?

• Do you have any other translations that you use occassionally or do you stick with one version only?

• Do you read the Bible in some other language - which one?

• Vote for your favourite Bible Translation...!

For some reason I find this incredibly fascinating having grown up in a country where all bibles look the same and really only one translation existed. When I lived in London I was blown away when I went in to a Christian bookshop and realised that buying a bible in English was not a matter of just grabbing the standard issue from the shelf and paying. Being a real geek I have read about this online and came across the slightly bewildering "KJV only" debate which seems to be a hot potato.

As for my own purchase, I finally bought an American bible called the New Living Translation - that had tons of interesting comments. This bible reads like a book of fiction, practically. It is no effort whatsoever reading it and I feel it really brings the bible to life for me.
    I prefer the kjv authorized, just based on what I know of how it's translation came about , the time and care that was taken , and the fact that it was translated in a time where things like the bible, were much more an important part of people's lives. The fact that they separated the different groups of translators and then would come together and compare, I love the safeguards they took regarding accuracy....and prefer the old English language.

also sometimes read the original n.i.v. I've come to not trust as much the n.i.v. Because I learned a few years ago, it's constantly revised and changed. The original n.i.v. I find to be very close to the k.j.v.

also read the Greek and Hebrew texts, just for the matter of comparison of an issue comes up in my mind , I find it helpful and reassuring, though the k.j.v. Is my favorite personally.

all that being said , I believe almost any translation of the bible is good if someone reads and understands it, some I find to be less than perfectly translated, but the message of Jesus Christ is present in all of them I've ever looked into.

I have combined the bible of different languages together if anyone may be interested . The English version is The "Bible in basic English"
    https://lmknjb.com

I may try include more languages in future

https://www.lmknjb.com Adding screenshot to give a better idea of page layout.

Thread Information