Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the "hour of trial" Jesus talks about in Revelation 3:10?

What is the "hour of trial" Jesus talks about in Revelation 3:10?

I was wondering what the "hour of trial" is in
    Revelation 3:10. Is that a future time period that
    happen during the great tribulation during the end
    times? Also, since the church of Philledelphia
    was promised to be kept from the trial, how does
    it apply to them if the event is not even going to
    take place in their lifetime? Why would Jesus
    promise to keep them from it if they aren't going
    to be alive when the the hour of trial happens?
    As you can see I am completely lost and any
    insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: What is the "hour of trial" Jesus talks about in Revelation 3:10?

I was wondering what the "hour of trial" is in Revelation 3:10. Is that a future time period that happen during the great tribulation during the end times?
    No. It was a period of time in their near future. Keep Revelation 1.1-3 in mind. John says 'the things must soon happen' because 'the time is near'.

Also, since the church of Philledelphia was promised to be kept from the trial, how does it apply to them if the event is not even going to take place in their lifetime? Why would Jesus promise to keep them from it if they aren't going to be alive when the the hour of trial happens?
    They were alive when the 'hour of trial' came, because it happened 'soon' in their 'near' future. It was future for them, it is past for us.

You notice an excellent thing that, I think, too many Christians forget when reading the Revelation: John was writing to seven real churches about issues they were going through. When he told them that the prophecies of the book would 'soon happen' because 'the time is near', then the events had to in some way be relevant and accessible to them. It had to, in some way, be about them.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Many people believe (myself included) that each Church is not just for a time back then, but also that each represents a type of Christian as well as an "era" of the Church age. And therefore the message still holds true. The Church is pretty divided as to whether or not there is a pre-tribulation rapture or not. ANd those who believe that there will be a rapture BEFORE the Tribulation begins (pre-trib) use this verse to show how God takes the Church out before the Tribulation begins, thus proving their belief in a pre-trib rapture.
    Others of us (myself) see this as a word of encouragement and comfort to let those who are walking in the Spirit for real (love), to let them know that God will protect/keep them safe from His judgements that will be poured out in the end times which is a tribulation for the world, however the saints of God will have their own tribulation according to this belief and will suffer persecution from the world. Just as God kept Israel safe during the plagues in Egypt, He will keep the Church safe. He will put a difference between them and the world.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Saved7
    Many people believe (myself included) that each Church represents a type of Christian as well as an "era" of the Church age. And therefore the message still holds true.
    Would the church to whom that message was addressed, the one in Philadelphia at the time John wrote the book, have interpreted the message that way? How would some distant future era be relevant to them at all, since the message was addressed to them? The message had to be relevant to them and the situation they were in. Otherwise there would be no point to addressing the seven messages to seven real churches in seven real cities at the time John wrote what he did. Relegating the seven messages into seven eras of Church history (without any indications of this from the text, only subjectively pinning-the-tail, while ignoring Church history outside of Europe and America) makes the message only broadly applicable to the Philadelphian church to whom it was addressed. Ephesians was written to the Ephesians church; it's broadly applicable for us, but it was specifically applicable for them. The message to the seven churches in Revelation should be interpreted the same way.

markedward, that's what i was thinking. The hour of trial has to be applicable to the church of Philledelphia in some way. I have heard it said that it has a double fullfillment, one for them and one for us but i don't know. I have always heard of this verse used to support a pre-trib rapture so thats why i was so confused because the hour of trial like i said had to be applicable to them in some way. So if it was just referring to the tribulation period i was wondering why Jesus would have made that promise to them since they wouldn't have been around for it anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heeves23 View Post
    Often things in scripture have dual applications. This could have as a shadow of things to come, occurred at that timeframe but also could be a prophetic meaning where this hour is a future thing.

Rev_3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
    Rev_3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Both of these hours are the same...the coming tribulation with the antichrist etc etc, is the bulk of that hour and the end of that hour (not literal hour just a time frame) is when Jesus returns.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Mark you'll have to cut me some slack since you covered that aspect of it so well I saw no need to point it out. As for how it should be interpreted today ALONG with the past my understanding of it still stands. I believe in the dual fulfilllment nterpretation of thisand many other prophecies since I believe that God can do that.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

So now that we've cleared up your confusion....
    Jesus is alive.
    Jesus is the Word made flesh.
    No part of Jesus is dead, or done with.
    The Word is alive.
    I suppose some believe certain jots and tittles are no longer living, but that is not how I read and understand what He said. I think it is alive and applicable and God causes things to repeat over and over again.

I was wondering what the "hour of trial" is in Revelation 3:10. Is that a future time period thathappen during the great tribulation during the end times?
    Wow where to start. It’s difficult to fully explain this because in order to understand what is being written we really should start back in Rev 1:1. Without that and the rest of chapter one it’s hard to get a clear picture of what happening here. Without understanding why the letters were written and their specific purpose it is hard to explain the small individual parts within them. But I’ll take a shot at answering your questions.

Yes it is possible that it can be referring to the end times and the great tribulation because of the dual purpose. It was written specifically naming the Philadelphian church but its application was to all the seven churches and to us as well. All these letters were written naming specific churches yet their application was to all the churches and they are just as applicable today as they were then.

They were experience testing you might say already due to “those who call themselves Jews” but the testing to come was to come upon the whole earth “to test those who dwell on the earth.” It is not a test for the church. You mentioned this fact yourself when you mentioned that they were promised to be kept from it. And although the testing was going to test those who dwell in the earth and Jesus was going to keep them from the testing, He did not say He was going to stop those who were being tested from persecuting those who were being kept by Christ.

Many people as Saved7 mentioned consider this to be evidence for a pre-trib rapture. The word keep; “I also will keep you from the hour of testing” means to watch over, keep an eye upon, etc. it does not mean that He was going to take them out of it. So they were going to go through it but not be unprotected in it. What is important though is why they will be “kept” and why we will be “kept.” Rev. 3:10 “Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.”
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

yeah i am getting a better idea of how to interpret this now. Thanks for the replys

Hi, "Heeves"! There might be merit to the thought that the passage may apply to us, the saved, here today. But more importantly, is to make the connection between Revelation3:10, and John17:15:

"Father, I ask that You not take them out of the world, but that you would keep them from the evil one."

"Take-them-out", is airo autos ek. "Keep them from" (or guard them amidst), is tereo autos ek.

In Rev3:10, "keep-from" is "tereo ek". If tereo-ek means "guard amidst" (and NOT "remove-them-out-of") when Jesus says it in John17, could it mean anything different in Revelation3?

We should very much prepare to be strong in the Great and Final Tribulation, for as 2Thess2:1-3 says "Jesus coming AND our gathering will not be until the lawless one is revealed" (not before the Tribulation begins).

Never fear; Jesus said in John16:33 that in the world we will have tribulation --- but take courage, for He has overcome the world!

The hour of temptation happens during the Tribulation, during this time Satan and his angels are cast out of heaven.This is when Satan is masquerading by deception to deceive the whole world into believing that he is Christ Jesus.This being the hour of temptation Rev 3:10.
    This is that time Christ Jesus spoke about in John 17:15 --"I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil"

Notice Christ Jesus said "I pray not that you shouldest take them out of the world"

Therefore no one is being taken out, As the rapture theory claims. But that God help keep them from the evil.

Notice in Rev 3:10 -"I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation"

Therefore no one is being taken out, As the rapture theory claims.

Little do people realize that God is against those who teach people that they will be raptured,fly, out to save their souls.

Ezekiel 13:20 --"Wherefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against your pillows, wherewith you there hunt the souls to make them fly, and I will tear them from your arms, and will let the souls go, even the souls that you hunt to make them fly"

The better translation for the words
    ( pillows) and ( hunt ) in the Greek and Hebrew translations is -- pillows = teachings)
    hunt = deceive)

Therefore God is against those who teach people that they will fly ( raptured ) out to meet the Lord in the air.

What brings about the hour of temptation?

The hour of temptation happens when Satan and his angels are finally cast out of heaven.
    Rev 12:7-12.

Satan and his angels are cast out of heaven in the 6th seal and at the sound of the 6th trumpet. Rev 6:12, 9:13-21.

When Satan and his angels are finally cast out of heaven, This brings about the silence in heaven. Rev 12:12, 8:1.

At the time Satan and his angels are finally cast out of heaven, there is no more disruption or bickering in heaven, only silence and Rejoicing in heaven.
    Rev 12:12. 8:1.

Now comes the Woe to those on earth, for the devil,Satan, has come down to those on earth. This beginning the hour of temptation that shall come upon the whole world to try them that dwell upon the earth.
    Rev 12:12, 3:10.

In the book of Daniel we find there are 7 yrs, 3/12 yrs of the Tribulation. Then in the book of Matthew 24:22 We find the Lord Christ Jesus has shortened the days of the Tribulation,
    But Christ Jesus doesn't say by how much the days of the Tribulation has been shortened to?
    In the book of Revelation Christ Jesus gives by how much the days of the Tribulation has been shortened to. The Tribulation has been shortened to 5 months, Rev 9:5,10.
    Notice that the whole chapter 9 of Revelation is about the Tribulation period.

Of course none of this will fit into the teachings and doctrines of man's.

As it is written in the book of Isaiah 55:8-9 --"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord, For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so.are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts"

Therefore the Lord's thoughts and ways will never fit into man's teachings and doctrines.

Matthew 15:7-9 --"You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips: but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men"

Many people will ask, What is the unpardonable sin of Blasphemy against the Spirit?
    In the book of Mark 13 Christ Jesus gives what the Blasphemy of the Spirit is and when it will happen and who can commit it.

What is the "hour of trial" Jesus talks about in Revelation 3:10?
    Thanks for your question. The church of Philadelphia is a picture of those true believers who are genuinely saved. Philadelphia means 'city of brotherly love' and this is describing any true believer who genuinely has the love of Christ, loving their brothers. There were a lot of people claiming to be true believers who were false, those who say they are Jews but are not, just meaning saying they are in Christ but are not. The scripture you mention explains that God will make those false ones acknowledge that God has loved the true believers of brotherly love. Further, the scripture explains that God will keep the true believers from (during) the time of tribulation, called the hour of temptation (not a literal hour but a time period). The word from, as I understand it, means to keep someone who goes through the time period, not to take them out of it completely. Think of Noah and the ark. The true believers were in the ark on the same waters that caused the unbelievers to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithofchristian View Post
    The hour of temptation happens during the Tribulation, during this time Satan and his angels are cast out of heaven.This is when Satan is masquerading by deception to deceive the whole world into believing that he is Christ Jesus.This being the hour of temptation Rev 3:10.
    This is that time Christ Jesus spoke about in John 17:15 --"I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil"

Notice Christ Jesus said "I pray not that you shouldest take them out of the world"

Therefore no one is being taken out, As the rapture theory claims. But that God help keep them from the evil.

Notice in Rev 3:10 -"I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation"

Therefore no one is being taken out, As the rapture theory claims.

Little do people realize that God is against those who teach people that they will be raptured,fly, out to save their souls.

Ezekiel 13:20 --"Wherefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against your pillows, wherewith you there hunt the souls to make them fly, and I will tear them from your arms, and will let the souls go, even the souls that you hunt to make them fly"

The better translation for the words
    ( pillows) and ( hunt ) in the Greek and Hebrew translations is -- pillows = teachings)
    hunt = deceive)

Therefore God is against those who teach people that they will fly ( raptured ) out to meet the Lord in the air.

What brings about the hour of temptation?

The hour of temptation happens when Satan and his angels are finally cast out of heaven.
    Rev 12:7-12.

Satan and his angels are cast out of heaven in the 6th seal and at the sound of the 6th trumpet. Rev 6:12, 9:13-21.

When Satan and his angels are finally cast out of heaven, This brings about the silence in heaven. Rev 12:12, 8:1.

At the time Satan and his angels are finally cast out of heaven, there is no more disruption or bickering in heaven, only silence and Rejoicing in heaven.
    Rev 12:12. 8:1.

Now comes the Woe to those on earth, for the devil,Satan, has come down to those on earth. This beginning the hour of temptation that shall come upon the whole world to try them that dwell upon the earth.
    Rev 12:12, 3:10.

In the book of Daniel we find there are 7 yrs, 3/12 yrs of the Tribulation. Then in the book of Matthew 24:22 We find the Lord Christ Jesus has shortened the days of the Tribulation,
    But Christ Jesus doesn't say by how much the days of the Tribulation has been shortened to?
    In the book of Revelation Christ Jesus gives by how much the days of the Tribulation has been shortened to. The Tribulation has been shortened to 5 months, Rev 9:5,10.
    Notice that the whole chapter 9 of Revelation is about the Tribulation period.

Of course none of this will fit into the teachings and doctrines of man's.

As it is written in the book of Isaiah 55:8-9 --"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord, For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so.are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts"

Therefore the Lord's thoughts and ways will never fit into man's teachings and doctrines.

Matthew 15:7-9 --"You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips: but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men"

Many people will ask, What is the unpardonable sin of Blasphemy against the Spirit?
    In the book of Mark 13 Christ Jesus gives what the Blasphemy of the Spirit is and when it will happen and who can commit it.
    I would like to disagree with your two main points, which I see as;
    1. Kept, or not kept from the Great Tribulation in Revelation 3:10
    2. That it is Satan who causes the Great Tribulation

I will answer them in reverse to avoid repetition because to understand number (1), some knowledge of number (2) is needed.
    (2)
    Satan is called "Prince of this world" three times in John 12:31 14:30 16:11, and "Prince of the power of the air" once in Ephesians 2:2. He is this because he is both angelic (of heaven) and because Adam succumbed to him in Eden and handed over his power to rule. So, as Ephesians 2:2 above says, he still works in men. That is, he exercises rule over the majority of men on earth and this some 34 years after Christ's death when Ephesians was written. And right at the end of the age we find him giving all his power to the Beast to rule the earth for 7 years (Rev.13:2-4). , Satan rules on earth during the time after Christ's death and up to Christ's Second Coming. He rules the principalities and powers (for it is against them that we war - Eph.6:12). So on earth today Satan has those who promote him, and those, the overcoming Christians, who resist him. According to Luke 4:6 Satan gives wealth, fame and power to whom he likes on earth. So there is a segment of men who are "blessed" by Satan, and then there are the overcoming Christians who are his enemies and who he persecutes (1st Pet.5:8). Even in Revelation Chapter 12, which you quote, the WRATH of Satan is not against the earth, but against the "seed of the heavenly Woman".

Satan, who has the present say of matters on earth, subjects his enemies to his WRATH, but his allies are "blessed" by him. I do not say that God is not sovereign, and cannot interfere anytime He wants. What I am saying is the Satan has no interest in pouring out his wrath on the whole earth. It is his domain, he has the say over the Kingdoms of it, and he reaps adulation from men (Rev.13:4).

God, on the contrary, is long-suffering and patient. He delays the Second Coming of Jesus to give men time to be converted by the gospel (2nd Pet.3:9). But there is a limit to how much evil He will ultimately allow before reacting. And in Romans 1:18 God makes a PROMISE; "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness". God promises HIS WRATH FROM HEAVEN. And the Book of Revelation clearly shows the Seals coming from God, their contents being in heaven, being opened in heaven, AND THEN POURED OUT ON THE EARTH TO MAKE IT A HORROR FOR MEN. The Tribulation that Christians suffer is from Satan and is limited on the earth. THE GREAT TRIBULATION INCLUDES SATAN'S WRATH BUT IT ORIGINATES FROM GOD IN HEAVEN! It is GOD?S WRATH "ON ALL THE EARTH".

(1)
    Of the seven Churches five are rebuked and warned, one is not rebuked but warned, and only Philadelphia is the commended and warned. Revelation 3:10 reads; "Because thou (the Philadelphian Christians) hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." The "TEMPTATION", or TRIAL that is alluded to in Revelation 3:10 covers "ALL THE WORLD". Satan's trials on men are local and scattered. But this TRIAL will be upon ALL the world. The only other TRIAL that covered ALL the world EVER was the great flood of Noah. So the TRIAL spoke of in Revelation 3:10 is THE GREAT TRIBULATION - THE WRATH OF GOD ON ALL THE EARTH. Then, the "HOUR" of this Tribulation is the TIME that it takes. You have correctly said it is 3½, years, 42 months, 1260 days, or a "time, times and half a time". So the question is; "if God promises to keep the Philadelphia Christians FROM the hour, or TIME of the Tribulation - WHERE WILL THEY BE???

Notice the grammar. It is NOT, "... keep you IN the hour, ... ." It is "... keep you FROM the hour ... ." The word "from" is correctly rendered "away from". So then we have to ask; "WHERE WILL THEY BE DURING THIS TIME???" Revelation 3:10 in essence says; "You Overcoming and Commendable Philadelphian Christians will BE SOME PLACE ELSE DURING THIS TIME". They must be ... because the WRATH of God covers ALL the earth!

Now the choice is easy. There are only three places a man can be. (1) on earth, (2) in Hades if he is dead, (3) or in the sky, or air. Take your pick! It can't be the earth because they are kept FROM this time on earth. The cannot be in Hades because they are alive. It must be the sky!

times?
    First of all it is not a literal hour, but a period of time. Here is what it says:Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

So what do we see here?

1. It is a time of temptation which also means a time of testing. This is when the inhabitants of the world will be tested and tempted to either worship Satan or worship God.

2. It will come upon ALL the world, which means that all the dwellers of the earth will be subjected to the demands of the Antichrist to worship him and worship Satan. This is a reference to the 3 1/2 years of Tribulation which will come upon the earth..

3. The church at Philadephia was a microcosm of true believers, and would represent the true Church at the time when this would occur. Since they would be "kept" (or "kept out of" or preserved) from this "hour of temptation", it is quite clear that God would not allow His Church to be subjected to the rule of the Antichrist.

4. As seen in 2 Thessalonians, the Antichrist can only take absolute control of the world when the Divine Restrainer (the Holy Spirit) is "taken out of the way". So this corresponds to the fact that before the Tribulation period both the Church and the Holy Spirit will be taken up to Heaven. Then it will in reality become "the hour of temptation" to try them that dwell upon the earth (the unbelieving world).

Thread Information