Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: - Sexual Purity –

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western New York, United States
    Posts
    316
    Blog Entries
    105

    Post - Sexual Purity –

    Romans 13:14, “Make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts”

    1 Thessalonians 4:3-5, "It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God"
    __________

    It seems like every areas of biblical wisdom that God has given to us through His precious Word flow drastically against the tide of our modern culture. The wisdom of purity in the sexual relationship must certainly be at the crest of that wave. It’s increasingly evident the casual approach to sex outside the bonds of marriage is rapidly gaining acceptance in today’s society. Unmarried cohabitation is now viewed as marriage equity, pornographic web sites are the frequent guest of the day, and affairs between “consenting adults” are seeking to become the norm. Still, against this massive flow of cultural descent, the warnings of Scripture resonate at full volume with cautions of damage caused by sexual impurity. Sexual purity is not an option for an obedient Christian, it’s a requirement. God’s will is centered on our character and moral purity much more than on our circumstances, such as job, housing and schooling. You want to know God’s will? You don’t have to wonder. Here it is, “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality” (1 Thessalonians 4:3). Thus, there is no sense seeking God’s will in other areas when you are choosing to live in sexual impurity in your mind or body. Sexual purity begins in the mind, not the body. Proverbs 23:7, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he”. You will inevitably adopt the morality of the programs, movies, books, magazines, music, Internet sites, and conversations you participate in. GIGO - Garbage in, garbage out; Godliness in, godliness out. Simply put, you become what you choose to feed your mind.

    (1) Sow a thought, reap an action.
    (2) Sow an action, reap a habit.
    (3) Sow a habit, reap a character.
    (4) Sow a character, reap a destiny.

    Thus, your future can be accurately predicted by what you allow your mind to dwell on. Sinful actions don’t come out of nowhere; they are the cumulative product of little moral compromises made over time, which ultimately culminate in ungodly behavior. There’s nothing new about sexual temptation … what’s new is how it has invaded our homes. In first century Corinth, there were prostitutes all over the streets, but when you entered your home, you had a sanctuary from the temptation. We live in a technological Corinth, where immorality can come into the privacy of our home through airwaves (television) and modems (the Internet). Thus, many of us are only a few push-buttons away from sexual immorality of the mind.
    __________

    (A) God’s mandate for sexual purity

    His mandate for sexual purity is the same today as when Solomon wrote the proverbs. Our culture thrives on immorality. Safe sex has become the norm of the hour. Abstinence is a controversial concept among political and civic leaders. Role models brag about their sexual exploits; however, the way of immorality leads to death. God’s way of purity leads to an abundant life. The Bible makes a strong case for sexual purity and its benefits. For example, Proverbs gives directions on moral purity. Solomon devoted the first nine chapters of Proverbs to two subjects: wisdom and sexual purity. Solomon’s instruction about sexual purity is welcome and worthy. God hasn’t changed His mind about sexual purity, even for those who live in a sexually saturated culture. “My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding,” Solomon wrote before diving into his discussion on sexual purity (Proverbs 5:1). However, if we know anything about Solomon, we may question why we should consult him on sexual issues. After all, his father committed adultery with his mother. And later, Solomon himself suffered political decline because he succumbed to impurity. As he multiplied wives and concubines, his love for God cooled. Solomon left a legacy of wisdom, but he failed to heed his own counsel. If we were to base our premise for moral purity on Solomon’s words, we might feel betrayed by Solomon’s behavior. However, the discussion of purity isn’t only limited to the book of Proverbs.

    Genesis 2:24, 25, “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his wife and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife; and they were not ashamed. Thus, God blessed Adam and Eve’s union and clearly stated that it was not shameful. Jesus reaffirmed God the Father’s original intention for marriage in Matthew 19:4, 5, “And He answered and said to them, Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning "made them male and female", and said, For this cause a man shall leave father and mother and shall cling to his wife, and the two of them shall be one flesh”. Other Scriptures affirm the goodness of sexual expression in marriage. The apostle Paul taught that marriage illustrates Christ’s relationship to the church, citing the plan God stated in Genesis and using it as a picture of a New Testament Principle: “For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. God’s words to Adam and Eve, Jesus Christ’s words to the Pharisees, and Paul’s comparison of the bride and the church lead us to conclude that marriage is good and blessed by God.
    __________

    (B) The Price of Sexual Impurity

    Satan and his host work hard to draw men and women into sexual sins and perversions because it is a direct attack on the only institution God established before the fall. I’m talking about marriage. God created mankind in his own image (Genesis 1:27). After he had created Adam and put him in the Garden of Eden, “The Lord said it is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him” (Genesis 2:18). “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh” (Genesis 2:24). Today, there are those individuals who are trying to redefine marriage by marrying man to man and woman to woman. Others see no harm in having extra-marital relationships. They justify their actions by saying that it helps the marriage. Moreover, marriage, as God has ordained, is the foundation of a family and families are the foundation of society. When marriages are destroyed, families are hurt severely and society eventually is affected in an adverse way. This is all part of Satan’s plan to divide and conquer. And may I add he is doing a great job of it. Wouldn’t you agree?

    Many Christians shy away from discussing sexual sin. They may feel it is unwise to talk frankly and openly about such sin. Granted, the topic needs to be handled with discretion and sensitivity. However, the Bible … especially Proverbs … does address the topic. God wants believers to know and heed His wisdom on sexual purity. The days we live in demand that we know the wisdom of sexual purity. In Proverbs 5, Solomon challenged his son to view marriage correctly and to avoid sexual compromise. Solomon’s son and all people, including us, can be tempted to ignore God’s wisdom and to run our own lives. We lose sight of the terrible consequences of sin. Solomon reminded his son of sin’s consequences so that he might avoid the temptation to follow his father’s path. Solomon explicitly explained, “(Proverbs 5:3-5) “For the lips of a strange woman drip honey, and her palate is smoother than oil; the lips of a strange woman. This could be rendered, one that is not thy own. Drop as a honeycomb - She uses the most deceitful, flattering, and alluring speeches: as the droppings of the honey out of the comb are the sweetest of all; but afterward she is as bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword. But, the effect of that to which she entices men, is destruction. “Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell. The word feet is essentially … her manner of life.

    Sexual sin destroys the one who commits it, “Whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul” (Proverbs 6:32). Sexual sin may seem to be fun and glamorous, but it leads to shame, dissipation, judgment, and even death. The price of sexual sin is manifest in our world today. People claim that God’s guidelines are oppressive and restrictive. However, those who “sleep around” reap terrible, debilitating consequences … AIDS, even death. Solomon’s warnings about the “adulteress” hold firm. Sexual promiscuity ultimately leads to death. Sexual impurity is a distortion of what God created to be beautiful, wholesome, and life-giving. Sexual purity, God’s plan, leads to life: “Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye” (Proverbs 7:2). Therefore, God’s wisdom on sexual purity could be defined as follows: Sex, within the bounds of God’s beautiful design for marriage, is a gift from God to be enjoyed. Sexual purity is God’s will for all people at all times.
    __________

    Like all good gifts from God, sex can be misused and perverted. As a way of illustration water is a gift of God, without which we couldn't survive. But floods and tidal waves are water out of control, and the effects are devastating. Fire is an energy-producing gift of God that gives warmth and allows us to cook. But a forest fire or a house burning to the ground or a person engulfed in flames is fire out of control it is horrible and frightening. Water and fire are good things which, when they occur outside their God-intended boundaries, become bad. Likewise, God designed sex to exist within certain boundaries. When exercised in line with God's intended purpose, it is beautiful and constructive. When out of control, violating God's intended purpose, it becomes ugly and destructive. Sex is a good thing which, when it occurs outside its God-designed boundaries, becomes bad. The problem isn't sex—the problem is us. We're sinners who can pervert, abuse, and rip away from their proper place the good things God created. The greater the gift from God, the more power it has both for good and bad. Inside marriage, sex has great power for good. Outside marriage it has equally great power for bad.
    __________

    (C) God’s Parameters for Sexual Purity

    God intends sex to be good and to glorify Him as exemplified in His commandments to Israel. God gave specific instructions regarding moral purity in the Ten Commandments. He spoke through Moses to Israel while the Israelites camped at the foot of Mount Sinai. He addressed His Chosen People saying, “Thou shalt not commit adultery” (Exodus 20:14). The wider implications of that command appear in other places in Exodus and Leviticus. Immoral heterosexual relationships, all homosexual relationships, and all sexual liaisons with male or female prostitutes are strictly forbidden. (Leviticus 18 and 20). God commanded Israel to be morally pure because He wanted the nation to be distinct from cultures that practiced promiscuity. God intended that Israel glorify Him by keeping sexually pure. Today, God also expects Christians to use their bodies to glorify Him. Paul explained, “What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). We can glorify God by keeping ourselves sexually pure.

    Please note that the works of the sin nature are listed in (Galatians 5:19-21). The first several works are related to sexual sins. “Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness; idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, fighting’s, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies, envying, murders, drunkenness, reveling, and things like these; of which I tell you before, as I also said before, that they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God”. 1 Corinthians 7, the “marriage chapter,” exhorts husbands and wives regarding their need to sacrifice themselves for the blessing and benefit of each other. Sin, however, has so twisted and distorted the marital relationship that “getting” (selfishness) has become a higher priority than “giving” (sacrifice). The sexual obsessions of our culture have led away from moral purity. All reveal a selfish emphasis on personal pleasure. Today’s moral climate also produces an atmosphere of indulgence rather than responsibility. The arrogant statements of leading figures regarding their personal exploits illustrate this well. Practicing “safe sex” is equivalent to acting “responsibly.” Avoiding an unwanted pregnancy supposedly fulfills one’s responsibility. One is considered responsible if he or she takes measures to prevent contracting a sexually transmitted disease.
    __________

    People succumb to sexual immorality because their involvement stems from a lack of devotion to God. In fact, this lack of devotion is the source of all sin. Romans 1:18-32 fleshes out this concept. Indicting the heathen, verses 21 and 28 explain: “When they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened … And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient.” Although God reveals Himself in natural creation, the unsaved individual refuses to retain God in his or her thoughts. That person trades an appropriate devotion to the Creator for an inappropriate devotion to the creation. All types of sins flow out of this inappropriate devotion, including homosexuality and other sexual perversions. Aberrant sexual behavior is the ultimate expression of the lack of devotion. The other reason people succumb to sexual immorality evidenced in a lack of self-discipline. Solomon rehearsed the tragic end of an undisciplined life in Proverbs 5:11-14, “And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed, and say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof; and have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me! I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.”
    __________

    (D) How to Cultivate Sexual Purity

    We can combat falling into immorality by cultivating a pure mind. In both the Old and New Testaments, purity of mind is always a precursor to a pure lifestyle. Solomon began (Proverbs 5:1-2), “My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding: that thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge”. Jesus also exhorted us to have a pure mind. He stated, “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: but I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart” (Matthew 5:27-28). A commitment to moral purity requires one to be willing to heed positive instruction and to avoid harboring impure thoughts. Note: In (1 Peter 1:13-17), Peter explained that a pure mind-set precedes clean living. Paul similarly enjoined mental purity as an integral part of moral purity (1 Timothy 4:12; 5:2). We also have to cultivate a pure body. The Gnostics of the second and third centuries taught that the body is unimportant and that the mind is the most important aspect of one’s being. For them, purity of the body was insignificant. However, the Bible teaches that God instructs us to maintain physical purity. The apostle Paul told the Thessalonians, “This is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: that every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honor” (1 Thessalonians 4:3-4). Paul also wrote to the Corinthian believers, who lived in a culture plagued by idolatry and immorality (1 Corinthians 6:15-20). He challenged them to abstain from immorality, explaining that their bodies were temples of the Holy Spirit. Paul’s exhortation to the Corinthians returns us to the original objective: that the believer knows and heeds the Bible’s instructions for moral and sexual purity.
    __________

    Concluding thoughts:

    My friend, it doesn't matter how smart you think you are. It doesn't matter whether you have a Ph.D. in physics, if you step off the tenth story of a building, you will fall to your death. Gravity is law, there's just no getting around it. Likewise, God has set up spiritual laws that govern the universe, including laws concerning our sexual behavior. If we break his commandments, ultimately we get broken. Scripture teaches two basic alternatives in life, the way of God and the way of men, the way of holiness and the way of sin. Proverbs speaks of the path of wisdom and the path of foolishness, and calls upon us to make right choices, which are also wise, and avoid wrong choices, which are also foolish. After laying out the blessings of obedience and the curses of disobedience, God said, “This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live" (Deuteronomy 30:19).

    It is my firm belief that the biblical standards of morality are universal and timeless. They are applicable to all generations, to all societies, and to all subcultures. They apply to New York, Los Angeles, Singapore, and your community just as much as they applied to biblical Corinth and Rome. My friend, it takes more than the best efforts of natural humanity to maintain sexual purity. It takes the redeeming and sanctifying work of God in our lives. God created us as sexual beings, and our sexual drive is a good and powerful part of us. But when those desires surpass our desire for God, or when we seek to fulfill them apart from God's prescribed means and timing, they can be our downfall. The Bible's perspective on sexual purity has gotten a bad rap as repressive, outdated, legalistic, and no fun. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Staying pure or committing to moral purity, can be a big step toward personal revival, deep joy, and true freedom.
    __________

    When you open your heart to the Savior, He opens your mind to the Word
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil" - Proverbs 3:5-7


    LNC, U. S. Navy
    Retired


    My Blog at Wordpress - https://www.hiseternalword.wordpress.com

  2. #2

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Interesting topic that I have been studying lately...not nearly as in depth as you apparently have. Good stuff here!

    Questions I'm trying to answer...

    If you have lust for your spouse, is that still a sin? Or is that okay because...it's your spouse...and no longer really considered lust?

    People who talk about sexual impurity, porn, fantasies, strip clubs, etc....typically this conversation revolves around the fact that you lusting for another woman (besides your spouse) or you don't have a spouse at all. But what is he/she was the object of that fantasy?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cypress, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach View Post
    You will inevitably adopt the morality of the programs, movies, books, magazines, music, Internet sites, and conversations you participate in. GIGO - Garbage in, garbage out; Godliness in, godliness out. Simply put, you become what you choose to feed your mind.
    Wow, firstly what an incredibly thoughtful and informative post. Thank you for such a good read! This, what you wrote above really spoke to me. It certainly does seem that our society today is changing and becoming more lax to the scripture that we have to learn from. While society might change and warp itself, the scripture will not. Certainly, it may take on a new meaning with meditation or thought but the core message does not change.

    Something like this, the immorality of society today, especially youth, is something that I have been thinking on quite a lot lately as I am looking to become involved in our youth ministry. I have been thinking about how to relate to these youth in a way that makes sense to them. Granted, I am close to their age, but still, things always are on a different level when you are in a leadership position compared to being another peer.

    I write this because I think that often individuals are drawn to immorality because it is easy, there is an abundance of strip clubs and such, pornography is just as accessible as a search engine online, and even just simple television is loaded with sexualized and immoral advertisements. I cannot understand why it seems that society as a whole has given into such temptation and become filled with such darkness, and it saddens me greatly.

    While I was in my final year of High School, it was so disappointing to see these young men and women professing on Sundays to be such a servant of the lord and yet at school the very next Monday they would be carrying themselves so poorly and so immorally. The way they would talk and engage with each other as though they were filled with lust and could only rid themselves of it by sharing it with another, and so the temptation just spirals out of control.

    I agree with you when you say that biblical standards of morality are timeless, and I think that this is something that our current society has forgotten and has lost beneath the sad state of our culture today.

    with +,
    Austin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    341

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    What a great and informative read, Thank you for posting it. For the past few years I have been looking for True Love and haven't been able to find it yet and it always seems to happen that I'm pulled downward by Lust. For those of you that don't know me I was born with Heart, Back and Leg Problems. I'm 31 and still live with my parents becasue of medical needs. So as you can probably imagine it's not to easy to find a woman that is willing to be in a relationship with someone like me. So therefore I'm ashamed to say I've fallen to Lust many times. I feel it's probabaly my worst Sin. I am trying to break it but it hasn't been easy and as you said in today's society Temptation is everywhere. I mean just last week I was in my local Mall and saw so many beautiful women and as much as I tried not to look apon them with a lustful eye and have clean and pure thoughts I failed. I'm seeking God and I'm always asking for strength to help me escape this horrible sin, but it's everywhere. Todays socitey is very dark and full of Lust and it's hard to get past it. Today's world does not help a person like me to become better, only to stay in my Sin and even possibly become worse I hope that one day real soon I can be rid of it competely. I will definetly be going back to this thread for help when I am weak. Being new to Religion in a sense It's hard for me to fully understand what can be forgiven and what can't. I mean if Jesus died for our Sins how do we know what we can do and still have a chance to go to Heaven in the afterlife. I mean I definetly believe that we as humans should do our best to do our own part while here on Earth in this mortal/flesh life but how much can be forgiven?

  5. #5

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    [QUOTE=Dante2004;2965135]Interesting topic that I have been studying lately...not nearly as in depth as you apparently have. Good stuff here!

    Questions I'm trying to answer...

    If you have lust for your spouse, is that still a sin? {/quote]

    It's a mandate, you should do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante2004 View Post
    Or is that okay because...it's your spouse...and no longer really considered lust?
    Lose the last part....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante2004 View Post
    People who talk about sexual impurity, porn, fantasies, strip clubs, etc....typically this conversation revolves around the fact that you lusting for another woman (besides your spouse) or you don't have a spouse at all. But what is he/she was the object of that fantasy?
    Dante, don't waste time thinking of what you should NOT DO, and spend more time thinking of what you SHOULD DO to honor your wife.

    One way dooms you to never grow and stay where you can see the temptations, the other takes you past them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bend, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    91

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Quote Originally Posted by austin_ep View Post
    Something like this, the immorality of society today, especially youth, is something that I have been thinking on quite a lot lately as I am looking to become involved in our youth ministry. I have been thinking about how to relate to these youth in a way that makes sense to them. Granted, I am close to their age, but still, things always are on a different level when you are in a leadership position compared to being another peer.

    I agree with you when you say that biblical standards of morality are timeless, and I think that this is something that our current society has forgotten and has lost beneath the sad state of our culture today.

    with +,
    Austin
    Of course biblical standards of morality are timeless. We have an eternal God who never changes, and God doesn't change the principles He created the world with.

    There is such a need for accurate sex education. Even our doctors who specialize in sex therapy have no idea what sex is. God made it a major drive for us, and it is major that we understand how it relates to our obedience and worship of God. It is so major that if we find one of the members of our church is practicing immoral sex, we are to go to them personally and if that doesn't work to take it to the elders, but it is not allowed in our churches. There is an entire book in our scripture devoted to giving us the spiritual meaning of sex, and using the literal also. It is like having a sex manual.

    I don't think that our present situation with the family disappearing is only due to the lack of devotion to God, it is also the lack of education in our churches, with few reading our "instruction book" to educate themselves. That education can't START with Thessalonians, it starts in Genesis.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    central Iowa
    Posts
    69

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    I know I am necro-posting in an old thread, but thank you OP for this study on sexual purity. As someone who was at one time very immoral sexually, and someone who made the choice after my last divorce almost 5 years ago to remain completely chaste and celibate - this topic is one close to my heart and I appreciate all the effort that was put into it. I shall reference this thread in the future and bookmark the scriptures you quoted. I am still a man, and am still tempted from time to time, but am trying very hard to show I have changed my ways and want to be a better person.

  8. #8

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Very informative read and how true. It's sad that our culture allows all this porn on the internet. It is one thing to look at someone in a mall with a lustful thought as I'm sure we have all done one time or another. But that is something we can dismiss soon enough after acknowledging it but internet porn is another. I find it beyond crazy that our government allows it to be so readily available on the internet knowing all the damage it causes. The average person they say views porn for the first time before they're even in their teen years and most people I suspect become regular viewers unless they're in a good family practicing morals. I believe internet porn is Satan's most effective tool in destroying society. It becomes a vicious circle for so many and the sex in these movies is far beyond normal relations. May God have mercy on us. When it becomes addictive it can become a burning desire so strong that for many is impossible to resist with your own strength. You know it's wrong, you plan on not looking at it again, but eventually the urge comes back stronger than ever and some just give up to be free from the urge by getting their fix. It's like a drug and becomes a vicious circle. Only God can free someone from this but I suspect the sufferer would need to repent, pray, and read the word everyday like it may be their last to break the chains of this. I did after years of porn abuse and I was free from it's urges for about 3 months. I know the holy spirit is what did this because there was no other explanation. But as soon as I slacked off, began praying less, not reading my Bible or attending Church I started getting urges again. And I can say the urges were like demonic attacks not like in the movies but strong thought attacks about porn scenes I viewed in the past. So through experience it is possible to quit porn / addiction but only through the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit. You must keep at it with prayer and scripture to avoid the attacks. A good Christian man I talked to from a Baptist Church, a peer you could say gave me good advice also. He said the longer you stay away from these actions through the holy spirit, the issue will become farther and farther behind you like in a rear view mirror to the point it will be out of sight. Out of mind out of sight, Amen! God's Kingdom is worth fighting for...

  9. #9

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante2004 View Post
    Interesting topic that I have been studying lately...not nearly as in depth as you apparently have. Good stuff here!

    Questions I'm trying to answer...

    If you have lust for your spouse, is that still a sin? Or is that okay because...it's your spouse...and no longer really considered lust?

    People who talk about sexual impurity, porn, fantasies, strip clubs, etc....typically this conversation revolves around the fact that you lusting for another woman (besides your spouse) or you don't have a spouse at all. But what is he/she was the object of that fantasy?

    If your spouse is the object of fantasy, I do not see anything wrong.
    However, anything that is indulged in excess can also lead to bondage.
    Taking food is legitimate but indulging in it in excess certainly leads to addiction and slavery.
    1 Cor 6:12-13 says "Everything is permissible for me"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"- but I will not be mastered by anything.
    So, although it is legitimate, let us not be mastered by it.

    If we are getting obsessed with it, then it implies that the mind is more empty
    and is not very much occupied with meditation of God's Word
    or is not occupied much with thoughts of godliness.
    Paul suggests a list of things to have our minds occupied with, in
    Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
    whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
    whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

    So, some thoughts that are worthy to consider...
    Am I thinking of my spouse only in terms of using my spouse' body? Or
    am I occupied with serving my spouse, honoring my spouse, pleasing my spouse,
    not hurting my spouse, seeking to understand my spouse' needs and trying to meet them,
    keeping my spouse joyful, praying for my spouse and seeking to find ways and means of
    helping my spouse grow in the Lord, seeking to minister together to others and thus
    be a spiritual blessing to others and so on.

    Best 'lust' to ask for is
    'Lord! give me a lust for Your Word'

    God bless you.
    Last edited by nksteve; Feb 14th 2016 at 05:10 AM.

  10. #10

    Re: - Sexual Purity –


    An Excellent post by Shadrach.
    I like it.
    True. As you said, we need to continually keep our minds pure in order to have total victory in this area.
    God bless.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vilonia, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    926

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    i have never understood a man and a woman having sex before marriage a sin. yet its considered fornication. fornication in a nutshell is sex in a detestable way or breaking the sex laws listed in Leviticus, man and women having sex before marriage is not listed there by the way. there was lots of fornication going on in greece when the Apostles went there to preach. and if you dont know anything about ancient greece, it was sin city everywhere. men having sex with other men, sex with your sister/mother, wild orgies, sex with animals and all the rest.
    what makes no sense, according to todays definition of fornication, a man having sex with a farm animal is no different what so ever than a man having sex with one woman and only one woman that he loves with all his heart, but not married to.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    10

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante2004 View Post
    Interesting topic that I have been studying lately...not nearly as in depth as you apparently have. Good stuff here!

    Questions I'm trying to answer...

    If you have lust for your spouse, is that still a sin? Or is that okay because...it's your spouse...and no longer really considered lust?

    People who talk about sexual impurity, porn, fantasies, strip clubs, etc....typically this conversation revolves around the fact that you lusting for another woman (besides your spouse) or you don't have a spouse at all. But what is he/she was the object of that fantasy?
    Lets start with properly defining words.

    Sexual desire is NOT lust.

    Lust is a desire to the point of obsession

    Otherwise you get off into whacko doctrine that teaches things like sex is only for procreation. and that any sexual desire is sin....

    G-d created a drive in both sex's to procreate.... be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth....

    When a man desires his wife it is NOT LUST. Paul reminds us that we are NOT to ignore the needs of our mate lest by doing so we give room for temptation

    1 Cor 7:5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

    Sexual Sin in scripture is relating to Fornication and Adultery. Fornication occurs between people who are not married. Adultery happens when 1 or both are married.

    I have always advocated that we follow what scripture speaks openly on... where scripture is silent we too should be silent.

  13. #13

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach View Post
    Sexual sin destroys the one who commits it, “Whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul” (Proverbs 6:32). Sexual sin may seem to be fun and glamorous, but it leads to shame, dissipation, judgment, and even death. The price of sexual sin is manifest in our world today. People claim that God’s guidelines are oppressive and restrictive. However, those who “sleep around” reap terrible, debilitating consequences … AIDS, even death. Solomon’s warnings about the “adulteress” hold firm. Sexual promiscuity ultimately leads to death. Sexual impurity is a distortion of what God created to be beautiful, wholesome, and life-giving. Sexual purity, God’s plan, leads to life: “Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye” (Proverbs 7:2). Therefore, God’s wisdom on sexual purity could be defined as follows: Sex, within the bounds of God’s beautiful design for marriage, is a gift from God to be enjoyed. Sexual purity is God’s will for all people at all times.

    YES TO THIS -- thank u

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    31

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    As a 21 year old male this is probably the hardest battle to fight. Its so odd that the Lord would make our bodies SO in tune physically and chemically to have sex, yet to refrain? That alone is a pure indicator of self control. I myself shamefully have succumbed to it, but never again will I. I think this is a subject many people just pass over because of today's society. Sadly, I hope I can find a woman with the same values as it seems less and less people are holding them.
    Not all who wander are Lost.
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    366

    Re: - Sexual Purity –

    Quote Originally Posted by Insightz View Post
    As a 21 year old male this is probably the hardest battle to fight. Its so odd that the Lord would make our bodies SO in tune physically and chemically to have sex, yet to refrain? That alone is a pure indicator of self control. I myself shamefully have succumbed to it, but never again will I. I think this is a subject many people just pass over because of today's society. Sadly, I hope I can find a woman with the same values as it seems less and less people are holding them.
    Stay strong insightz. As a 43 year old man who has been married to two wonderful women (the first died of cancer before I met the second) who were both virgins when we wed; and as a virgin on my first wedding night too, I can tell you that there are pure women who believe in Biblical purity still in the world.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Purity
    By JesusMySavior in forum Prayer
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Feb 24th 2010, 07:09 AM
  2. Purity and Fire
    By IsItLove? in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 21st 2010, 07:38 AM
  3. Wie is al op Purity?
    By Henry in forum Vrae en menings oor die Bybel
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jun 27th 2009, 12:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •