Thread: visions and dreams

visions and dreams

visions and dreams
    is there any difference between common dreams and the vision of the night?
    does God leads us through common dreams?
    is there any reference in the new testament?

Blog Entries

Re: visions and dreams

Quote Originally Posted by James Akindele View Post
    is there any difference between common dreams and the vision of the night? Does God leads us through common dreams? Is there any reference in the new testament?
    If there isn't a difference between common dreams and visions from God, then you would be saying that God's voice is so weak that we usually don't hear it. I agree that God can speak in a "small voice" (1 Kings 19:12) and that many things of God are hidden from immature believers (Heb 5:14), but God does not hide from those who do His will: Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that are freely given to us by God. (1 Cor 2:12) The Spirit shows us the things of God. It's those who have the spirit of the world who search for wisdom in hidden things (the occult), and they look for Bible codes, or "the gospel in the stars," or the hidden name of God, or the names of the angels. The person who was caught up to the Third Heaven (2 Corinthians 12:2) wasn't even permitted to reveal what he saw there, perhaps because this hidden knowledge could distract us. Hidden knowledge makes us feel powerful, which gets in the way of letting God have power over us.

I knew of someone who would write down her dreams every night to see how God was speaking to her through them. Her dreams were not too different from my dreams, but I don't see God speaking to me through my dreams. I figure if God wanted to give me a vision, He is more than able, and like the man caught up to Third Heaven, it would be obvious. The visions given to Joseph, Mary, Zacharias, Ananias, Cornelius, Peter, and John were clear, special visitations by God, not ordinary dreams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James Akindele View Post
    visions and dreams
    is there any difference between common dreams and the vision of the night?
    does God leads us through common dreams?
    is there any reference in the new testament?
    I just posted about this elsewhere..lol. But here is a link to get you started: Question: "Does God still give visions to people today? Should believers expect visions to be a part of their Christian experience?"

I think MOST dreams are not from God though but just our subconscious working out things that happened to us during the day. Many are what I call 'anxiety dreams' too. Things we are worried about.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

I have had dreams that reminded me of things that I had forgotten and/or neglected, I have had my conscience pricked in dreams where when I woke up I realized some fault or failure that needed to be addressed, I have had dreams that encouraged me, etc. Were these instances of dreams from God, where God was speaking directly to me in a dream? Maybe not, but I do know that when we read the scriptures and meditate on them, hear the Word faithfully taught, and hide it in our heart, it becomes a treasure in our heart. Sometimes that treasure is comes out in our dream.
    Not in every dream, but occasionally...
    Last edited by glad4mercy; Oct 27th 2012 at 11:14 PM.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Quote Originally Posted by little watchman View Post
    If there isn't a difference between common dreams and visions from God, then you would be saying that God's voice is so weak that we usually don't hear it. I agree that God can speak in a "small voice" (1 Kings 19:12) and that many things of God are hidden from immature believers (Heb 5:14), but God does not hide from those who do His will: Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that are freely given to us by God. (1 Cor 2:12) The Spirit shows us the things of God. It's those who have the spirit of the world who search for wisdom in hidden things (the occult), and they look for Bible codes, or "the gospel in the stars," or the hidden name of God, or the names of the angels. The person who was caught up to the Third Heaven (2 Corinthians 12:2) wasn't even permitted to reveal what he saw there, perhaps because this hidden knowledge could distract us. Hidden knowledge makes us feel powerful, which gets in the way of letting God have power over us.

I knew of someone who would write down her dreams every night to see how God was speaking to her through them. Her dreams were not too different from my dreams, but I don't see God speaking to me through my dreams. I figure if God wanted to give me a vision, He is more than able, and like the man caught up to Third Heaven, it would be obvious. The visions given to Joseph, Mary, Zacharias, Ananias, Cornelius, Peter, and John were clear, special visitations by God, not ordinary dreams.
    little watchman like your understanding it is very near the explanation for my question: but to be direct , i mean this with my question; does God give us vision in a dream that will be so real and quite different from common dreams as Daniel experienced

Dan 7:1 In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon Daniel had a dream and visions of his head upon his bed: then he wrote the dream, [and] told the sum of the matters.

Dan 7:7 After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it [was] diverse from all the beasts that [were] before it; and it had ten horns.

i know many dreams are often not God speaking to us as there is no any reference in the new testament though plenty in the old testament, of God speaking through dreams; which i think is telling us the lesser emphasis on it, in this dispensation of the HolySpirit,much more, it is only the old that bible say will dream in the last days,Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Thread Information