Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone think Christ's return will for sure occur in the 21st century?

Question Anyone think Christ's return will for sure occur in the 21st century?

I have noticed quite a lot of things occuring. I have also seen what things were like just a century ago. For example, I read that divorce in America was less than 1 percent, appliances (electric fans, heaters, humidifiers, and such) were built very well; in fact, I happen to have an antique fan with a last patent date of June 25th, 1901, and it still runs like a champion, and marriages also lasted until the death of one spouse. And coincidentally, during the time period where divorce was practically unheard of, electric fans were made to really circulate the air, they had heavy duty, solid brass blades, and such, cool fans such as the General Electric Type AOU, the Emerson 29646, the up and down pivoters with the big powerful motors (for everyone's information, one of my hobbies is collecting antique electric fans, especially the older brass blade ones), electric space heaters from that era still work today. Fast forward to 2013, and electrical appliances are made very poorly; they break, burn out easily (how many of you purchased one of those newer Lasko box fans only to have it break or burn out on you just a couple months later?), the divorce rate is roughly 50 percent in America, and I hear 75 percent in California (even earning that state the nickname "Californication" from some), today's younger people just seem very immature, especially throughout the northern United States of America, I am hearing of people getting into 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th marriages. Some famous movie stars even seem to be getting into as many as 6 or 7 marriages. Not to mention the prison bus style security of air, train, and Greyhound travel, the bureaucratic TSA, being told; "You can not bring this through the airport! You can not bring that through the airport!"

Basically, it seems as though, over the course of the past 110 years, practically everything has de evolved. Marriage has de evolved, electric fans have de evolved, heaters have de evolved, social atmospheres have de evolved, humidifiers have de evolved, furniture has de evolved. It's almost even as if love between people itself has also de evolved. More and more schools throughout America are shoving God/Jesus out of their classrooms and hallways, more and more schools are banning hugs between students, even in cases of a student who lost a relative in death and needs comforting. Children also seem to be having their innocence snatched away due to pedophiles, violence, abductions, and subsequently being told by parents to stay away from strangers, and even friendly people being heavily frowned upon for being near children. It also appears there are parents out there who forbid their daughters from interacting with boys, even boys in their own school.

Seeing all of this gives me a gut feeling, like Jesus's rapture, the Great Tribulation, and Jesus's subsequent return to the Earth is highly likely if not certain to occur within the 21st century. Does anyone else have that same feeling?

Re: Anyone think Christ's return will for sure occur in the 21st century?

People have been saying 'It could be any day now' for centuries. And centuries. And centuries. And they give all sorts of speculative reasoning (airport security is a new one) to back up their claims. And every time they've been wrong. And wrong. And wrong.

Could Jesus come during this century? I believe it is entirely possible.

Will he? I don't find anything compelling enough to think so.

I also see something else of interest; the world population growth. A series of graphs depicting the world population over time can be found at http://www.subdude-site.com/WebPages...wth_charts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    People have been saying 'It could be any day now' for centuries. And centuries. And centuries. And they give all sorts of speculative reasoning (airport security is a new one) to back up their claims. And every time they've been wrong. And wrong. And wrong.

One thing I do find compelling tho, is that we now have mass weapons of destruction, which includes nuclear, and that the world is growing eviler by the day. If Jesus doesn't return soon, the chances are, before it's over, man would have destroyed the earth and everyone on it. That of course is not what the Bible depicts. But Revelation does indicate one of the reasons Jesus returns when He does, is so that He can destroy those that are destroying the earth. That of course can be understood in a number of ways, such as, they're destroying the earth morally, or they're destroying it literally, or maybe even both perhaps. Of course then, you could argue that we had some of these same mass weapons of destruction in the 20th century as well, but Christ didn't return then. But the point wouldn't be that He returns because man has the capability to destroy himself, but that He would return when it got so bad, that if He didn't return, man would then destroy the entire earth with everyone on it. If I live another 20 years, I expect it might get that bad before the 20 years are even up.

Blog Entries

Buster, when you were talking about the fans, it reminded me of the verses about adding chaff in with grain to "pad" a persons purchase. It's like they make things of low quality just so they will have more repeat business. They are adding chaff.

Blog Entries

Oh, and by the way, as to the title of your thread, all I know is that the Holy Spirit keeps impressing on me, very insistently at times, that "the end" is very near. When someone talks about it or says: the end is near - He leaps in me very strongly.

The Word says that no one will no the day or time that the Lord will return. I don't understand why people attempt to contemplate this, if we are told know one will know. It will happen when it is supposed to happen.

Blog Entries

Hello poriggity,
    It is very nice to meet you!
    It is true that no one knows the day or time.
    No one can say: it will occur on Dec. 21, 2012, etc. That is why we joke around about it when someone sets a day and time, because we KNOW our Lord has said this is not how it will be when He comes again.
    BUT, Jesus also chided the people for being able to know what the next day's weather would be based on signs in the sky, but NOT knowing what general frame they were IN.
    The Spirit is speaking to very many of us that we are in this certain period where the end is near. The Spirit is speaking strongly to many of us that the Bridegroom is NEAR. Even as I write this, He is SPEAKING in me strongly.
    You will have to bear with us and be patient with us, because we are excited that our Lord is near and we should be hastening His return, as the verse says.
    If a woman's husband goes on a long trip, she searches the horizon, longingly, for his return, and she becomes very excited when she thinks she sees him coming!

Blog Entries

Hey buster, a while back, in another "end times" type thread, you asked a question about whether or not Jesus might might return a third time. I was just wondering if you ever thought about that again, or got anywhere in understanding why it seemed that could be to you....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    Buster, when you were talking about the fans, it reminded me of the verses about adding chaff in with grain to "pad" a persons purchase. It's like they make things of low quality just so they will have more repeat business. They are adding chaff.
    A bit OT but, yes "planned obsolescence" and "perceived obsolescence" are just that, planned. We can make a light bulb to last 100 years if we want, but that's not good for business.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Blog Entries

When do women tend to go to the hospital to give birth? Is it when the contractions start, or when the water breaks? Typically, doctors say that when the contractions are between 4-5 minutes apart, that is when the woman should go to the hospital to give birth. What does the Bible say about the signs ofthe end?

Matthew 24:7-8

Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

The signs themselves will come as birth pains on a woman. they start as minor cramps and build up to the crescendo with the birth of the child. The Return of the Lord is exactly like that. those who realize that the signs will be plain to see if you know what to look for will not be shocked when "suddenly" the Lord returns.

Will He come in this century? Probably. Do I know for sure. If I said yes, I would be lying. I believe that He will be on this planet within the next 50 years. With the changing political climate, mixed with the building of hatred in this country alone towards Christians, the senseless violence that permeate our world right now, (elementary school massacres happening in differing countries only hours apart), the shifty leaders of this world losing control of their kingdoms, and other factors lead me to believe that the Lord is coming, and He is coming soon. However, before He comes, things have to get a whole lot worse than what they are now, as other people from other periods of time were much worse than the people on this planet right now.

Quote Originally Posted by divaD
    One thing I do find compelling tho, is that we now have mass weapons of destruction, which includes nuclear,
    We do now have 'weapons of mass destruction', but I don't see any Biblical reason why this should compel me to believe the second coming must happen in this century. Again, this is a very subjective reason, no different than when people thought the end of the world was occurring at the time of the Black Plague.

and that the world is growing eviler by the day.
    What reasons are there to think the world is more evil now than it was (for example) two thousand years ago? Religious radicalism? Roman Imperial cult executing those who refuse to submit to the Roman pantheon and Caesar. Widespread murder? Anyone traveling had to carry weapons with them because bandits were constantly preying on them. Not to mention that the Romans would execute people on a daily basis, sometimes just to prove they were in control. Slavery? Universally practiced, and could be based on anything from monetary debt to racist oppression. Sexual immorality? Extremely common, especially in diverse pagan religious traditions. Abortion? Yeah, that was happening then, too.

But Revelation does indicate one of the reasons Jesus returns when He does, is so that He can destroy those that are destroying the earth. That of course can be understood in a number of ways, such as, they're destroying the earth morally,
    This is how I see it. The text more literally says 'corrupt (διαφθειραι) those who are corrupting (διαφθειροντας) the earth'. (διαφθειρω = corrupt; απολλυμι = destroy) This isn't referring to ecological exploitation or physical destruction, it's referring to moral corruption throughout the whole world (e.g. Genesis 6.11-12, 'Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight ... for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth'). Now, again, I do believe Jesus could return in this century, but this is not based on any present conditions in the world, because the world is literally no worse off than it was in the last two thousand years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    A bit OT but, yes "planned obsolescence" and "perceived obsolescence" are just that, planned. We can make a light bulb to last 100 years if we want, but that's not good for business.
    In the future, when people who are 1,000 years old will still be considered young, the houses we build will outlast us. Seems impossible!

What is important is asking yourself, which things must occur before Jesus can return. Once you make that list then it becomes clearer when He is coming again. The other big question is, and this is really why I joined this forum, is assuming we see all the signs fulfilled that need to be, what are we going to do about it?

Thread Information