Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: who is the rider on the white horse?

  1. #1

    who is the rider on the white horse?

    I hear a lot of disagreement on who the rider on the white horse is in Rev.6 . Some say its the antichrist, man of perdition, etc. Some say Hes Jesus. But I havent heard anyone use scripture to prove what they are saying. If anyone has scripture to show the truth Id appreciate it.
    Thanks and God bless, Grady

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Acts
    Posts
    3,842

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I hear a lot of disagreement on who the rider on the white horse is in Rev.6 . Some say its the antichrist, man of perdition, etc. Some say Hes Jesus. But I havent heard anyone use scripture to prove what they are saying. If anyone has scripture to show the truth Id appreciate it.
    Thanks and God bless, Grady
    The only scriptural simile to this is found in Zechariah 6:1-8 Which talks about chariots with horses. Black and White go North, Dappled goes south and Red seems to stay in the area.
    Note the timeline though, it is a vision given before Alexander the Great. Verse one describes two mountains of bronze. This could easily be tied into the vision Nebuchadnezzar had regarding the kingdoms to come. Daniel would have been famous and the prophecy too. Therefore it suggests a time happening after Alexander the Great, but during the time of Greek dynasties.
    We know from Revelations 6 that the red horse represents strife, and there was a time of strife in this area, especially over the holy land during that time, with Antiochus IV.

    If we apply the directions these spirits went and tie in with those in Revelations we have White and Black going North, which could mean anywhere in that direction. I think to Europe. We have Red remaining in the Middle East - where there is still a time of strife and we have the dappled heading south, which in Revelations 6 is a green horse.
    Christendom (White) and Capitalistic Democracy (Black) both originate from the North
    Communism was started by an ethnic Jew - Karl Marx
    Islam (Green) came from the South

    Just some thoughts and ideas for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    305

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakeros View Post
    The only scriptural simile to this is found in Zechariah 6:1-8 Which talks about chariots with horses. Black and White go North, Dappled goes south and Red seems to stay in the area.
    Note the timeline though, it is a vision given before Alexander the Great. Verse one describes two mountains of bronze. This could easily be tied into the vision Nebuchadnezzar had regarding the kingdoms to come. Daniel would have been famous and the prophecy too. Therefore it suggests a time happening after Alexander the Great, but during the time of Greek dynasties.
    We know from Revelations 6 that the red horse represents strife, and there was a time of strife in this area, especially over the holy land during that time, with Antiochus IV.

    If we apply the directions these spirits went and tie in with those in Revelations we have White and Black going North, which could mean anywhere in that direction. I think to Europe. We have Red remaining in the Middle East - where there is still a time of strife and we have the dappled heading south, which in Revelations 6 is a green horse.
    Christendom (White) and Capitalistic Democracy (Black) both originate from the North
    Communism was started by an ethnic Jew - Karl Marx
    Islam (Green) came from the South

    Just some thoughts and ideas for you.
    I only found Zechariah in the source I refer to as well, although there is also mention of horses in 2 Chronicles:

    The Venerable Bede writes: ôSurely the white horse is the Church; the Rider who was commanding it is the Lord; He had a bow because He was coming to make war against the powers of the air; and a crown of victory was given to Him because by dying He overthrew the reign of death.ö

    I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold, there came four chariots out from between two mountains; and the mountains were mountains of brass. In the first chariot were red horses; and in the second chariot black horses; and in the third chariot white horses; and in the fourth chariot grisled and bay horses. Then I answered and said unto the angel that talked with me: What are these, my lord? And the angel answered and said unto me: These are the four spirits of the heavens, which go forth from standing before the Lord of all the earth (Zechariah 6.1-5).

    The riders on the horses are angels sent by God to deliver His judgements on an apostate world (II Chronicles 6.17).

    Maybe it refers to the angels on white horses that fought at the Battle of Mons in World War I:

    IN 1914, during World War 1 at the Battle of Mons in Belgium, the English were overpowered and outnumbered by the Germans. Many of the English soldiers insisted that they had witnessed a regiment of white-clad, shining apparitions appear between them and their enemy combatants. The Germans retreated as soon as the angels arrived. Two other sightings of angelic warriors were reported by British officers over the next few days.
    In 1918, the German troops declared that a calvary clothed all in white mounted on white horses attacked them near the town of Bethune in France. The riders couldn't be killed with conventional weapons and the Germans were again forced to retreat.


    Didn't someone once say that St. John saw many strange things in his vision of the Apocalypse, but none so strange as those seen by those who have tried to interpret it since?

  4. #4

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Because the other three horsemen are seen as particularly negative and destructive, it is then common to see this rider as being evil conquest, usually in the form of 'the antichrist'. But this interpretation is terribly inconsistent with the symbolism John actually uses here, the most obvious of which is that the four horsemen are personifications, not persons. Not to mention that the only place 'antichrist' is mentioned in the Bible, two of the epistles of John, it is never limited to a single individual. Anyone who is against Christ is 'antichrist'.

    Interpreting the rider of the white horse as a literal individual, or interpreting the bow as a literal object, etc., are beside the point. Our interpretation needs to rely first on the consistency of John's symbols throughout the book, then (if applicable) any references to the Old Testament, and lastly (if applicable) any references to his contemporary culture(s).

    First, every other use of the color white in the Revelation refers to someone or something righteous. Second, this rider is given a crown, and in Greek this is a certain type of crown: stephanos. In the Revelation, every other appearance of the stephanos crown is given to or worn by or promised to a righteous victor. (The only apparent exception is when the stephanos crown is used in simile, in chapter 9. This is not an actual appearance.) Third, the rider goes 'conquering, and to conquer'. The verb in Greek, while used twice for the wicked beast later on, is used twelve times of righteous victors, most notably in Jesus' command to the seven churches to 'conquer'.

    And even if that was not enough, compare how the white horseman here in chapter 6 is described to the white horseman of chapter 19:

    And I saw,
    and behold,
    a white horse,
    and the one sitting down upon it
    was given a bow, and he was given a crown,
    and he went forth conquering, so that he might conquer.

    And I saw heaven opened up,
    and behold,
    a white horse,
    and the one sitting down upon it
    is called faithful and true,
    and in righteousness does he judge and wage war.


    There are definite similarities, in structure and in theme. The rider of the latter horse is a definite reference to Jesus, who goes on to conquer his enemies through the sword of his mouth. In ancient times, the first of the four horsemen was often interpreted as representing Jesus conquering through the Gospel (which is the word of God). I agree with the gist of that: I believe the first seal of the scroll of the new Covenant is the going forth of Jesus' body (the Church) into the world, to conquer in righteousness by means of the Gospel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Closer than you think...
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    The Lone Ranger?
    θεοφιλε

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    269

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    The first white horse represents false religion and the antichrist in the book of Revelation. He must ride first before the true Messiah returns. This is dangerous grounds if you believe the first messiah to be Jesus come to rapture you away before tribulation. That's the trap he may well use on unsuspecting Biblically illiterate christians! Remember Jesus said in the end a great falling away would come first then the man of sin would be revealed. The false messiah will look like Jesus and perform miracles for all to see but he will preach a false gospel of lawlessness meaning the commandments are done away with leading many sincere well meaning people astray. Only then will the real Messiah return in power and glory. If the antichrist came announcing who he really was he wouldn't fool anybody, especially Christians. Since his true identity won't be generally known except to God's elect and the Biblically literate he will fool the majority of mankind into believing he is God. God says He would send a strong delusion on those who refuse to open their minds to learning what He really says in the Bible and cling to their own beliefs about Jesus. Jesus' own words prove we must keep the commandments if we are to enter into life.
    Here are a few passages listed but there are many more if you take the time and research it for yourself.

    Ephesians 2:2
    2 Thessalonians 2:3-12
    2 Corinthians 11:4
    Matthew 7:21-23
    JESUS CHRIST, often imitated, never duplicated.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    under the pain of the wish
    Posts
    11,818
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    Because the other three horsemen are seen as particularly negative and destructive, it is then common to see this rider as being evil conquest, usually in the form of 'the antichrist'. But this interpretation is terribly inconsistent with the symbolism John actually uses here, the most obvious of which is that the four horsemen are personifications, not persons. Not to mention that the only place 'antichrist' is mentioned in the Bible, two of the epistles of John, it is never limited to a single individual. Anyone who is against Christ is 'antichrist'.

    Interpreting the rider of the white horse as a literal individual, or interpreting the bow as a literal object, etc., are beside the point. Our interpretation needs to rely first on the consistency of John's symbols throughout the book, then (if applicable) any references to the Old Testament, and lastly (if applicable) any references to his contemporary culture(s).

    First, every other use of the color white in the Revelation refers to someone or something righteous. Second, this rider is given a crown, and in Greek this is a certain type of crown: stephanos. In the Revelation, every other appearance of the stephanos crown is given to or worn by or promised to a righteous victor. (The only apparent exception is when the stephanos crown is used in simile, in chapter 9. This is not an actual appearance.) Third, the rider goes 'conquering, and to conquer'. The verb in Greek, while used twice for the wicked beast later on, is used twelve times of righteous victors, most notably in Jesus' command to the seven churches to 'conquer'.

    And even if that was not enough, compare how the white horseman here in chapter 6 is described to the white horseman of chapter 19:

    And I saw,
    and behold,
    a white horse,
    and the one sitting down upon it
    was given a bow, and he was given a crown,
    and he went forth conquering, so that he might conquer.

    And I saw heaven opened up,
    and behold,
    a white horse,
    and the one sitting down upon it
    is called faithful and true,
    and in righteousness does he judge and wage war.


    There are definite similarities, in structure and in theme. The rider of the latter horse is a definite reference to Jesus, who goes on to conquer his enemies through the sword of his mouth. In ancient times, the first of the four horsemen was often interpreted as representing Jesus conquering through the Gospel (which is the word of God). I agree with the gist of that: I believe the first seal of the scroll of the new Covenant is the going forth of Jesus' body (the Church) into the world, to conquer in righteousness by means of the Gospel.
    Good explanation, very reasonable and well thought out. I wonder, however, why Jesus and not Titus?

  8. #8

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    who is the rider on the white horse?
    The church generally; Christĺs apostles, specifically.

    I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer. Revelation 6:2 (NASB)

    Greek Word: νικάω

    Transliterated Word: nika˘
    Root: from 3529;

    Definition: to conquer, prevail:--

    List of English Words and Number of Times Used
    conquer (1),
    conquering (1),
    overcame (2),
    overcome (11),
    overcomes (10),
    overpowers (1),
    prevail (1),
    victorious (1).

    Nika˘ is the same Greek word found in Revelation 3:21:

    ~'He who overcomes [nika˘], I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame [nika˘] and sat down with My Father on His throne. Revelation 3:21 (NASB)

    He sent His church out to overcome and gave it the power to do just that.

    and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. "You are witnesses of these things. "And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." Luke 24:46-49 (NASB)

    but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." Acts 1:8 (NASB)

    Now, consider what happened after they received the Holy Spirit and began overcoming: men started killing one another (red horse rider, beginning with the stoning of Stephen), there were famines (black horse rider), first in the reign of Claudius then in the city of Jerusalem itself (during the rebellion), all followed by death (pale horse rider).

    The book of Acts is a good place to track the events that unfolded as the apostles and the church went forth to conquer.

    The rider of the latter horse is a definite reference to Jesus, who goes on to conquer his enemies through the sword of his mouth. In ancient times, the first of the four horsemen was often interpreted as representing Jesus conquering through the Gospel (which is the word of God). I agree with the gist of that: I believe the first seal of the scroll of the new Covenant is the going forth of Jesus' body (the Church) into the world, to conquer in righteousness by means of the Gospel.
    Yeah, what he said.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    "Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

    -- Ronald Reagan --

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADELAIDE / South Australia
    Posts
    3,711

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Pretty much agree with Markedward.

    He rides out to conquer with 1 crown, and by the end of the 7th seal and trumpets, the kingdoms of the world become Christs...many crowns....sheep from other folds.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Coastal Mountains
    Posts
    7,938

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I hear a lot of disagreement on who the rider on the white horse is in Rev.6 . Some say its the antichrist, man of perdition, etc. Some say Hes Jesus. But I havent heard anyone use scripture to prove what they are saying. If anyone has scripture to show the truth Id appreciate it.
    Thanks and God bless, Grady
    There isn't enough information in the bible to give a definite answer. I personally believe in two principles regarding symbolism of countries
    1) the bible uses animals to represent kingdoms (precedent Daniel 7)
    2) the bible uses the symbols that the world uses regarding countries, it does not introduce new symbols but uses those symbols known to represent that country.

    Regarding principle 2, we can see the following in Daniel 7 and in actual history:
    1) Babylon had a very common symbol of a lion
    2) the bear was traditionally the symbol of Persia (Iran)
    3) The leopard was the symbol of Macedonia
    4) The bull was the well known symbol of Rome

    Regarding Revelation 17, the woman is the well known symbol of the Vatican , the woman on the bull is the famous symbol of the EU

    Although the interpretation of prophecy is not an exact science, I believe these four horses represent four significant trends coming from specific regions that will have consecutive world influence, and have actual horses as their own symbols of preference. These are the four world trends leading up to the second coming.

    The first horse, the white horse, I believe is represented by the continuous attempts of the West over hundreds of years to take over dominance of Israel. The symbol of the white horse was the prominent symbol representing the crusades, and the white horse achieved its goal in 1917 when Israel permanently came under the control of the West.

    The following world trend, the red horse has also ended, we are entering the times of the black horse.

  11. #11

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I hear a lot of disagreement on who the rider on the white horse is in Rev.6 . Some say its the antichrist, man of perdition, etc. Some say Hes Jesus. But I havent heard anyone use scripture to prove what they are saying. If anyone has scripture to show the truth Id appreciate it.
    Thanks and God bless, Grady

    Hi Grady,

    Welcome!!


    There are 4 things that satan uses to control the world and bring about his beast system. These are listed in the four horses of Rev 6. The first one is the white horse which represents religion. Marc B. was close in his response to you about "false religion", yet the white horse is just plain old religion.


    The seals of Revelation 6 line up with the words of Jesus in Mark 13. In Mark 13 Jesus teaches what the seals are.


    Rev 6:2 goes with Mark 13:5,6, both are the first seal, which is Religion.


    Mark 13:5 And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:


    13:6 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.kjv


    The rider of the white horse would be the man Jesus is warning against in Mark 13:5 when he says, "Take heed lest any man deceive you".


    Remember, satan is a copy cat who will disguise himself as a messenger of light. Anything Jesus does, satan must copy to deceive people into believing in him instead.


    Jesus comes riding in on the white horse in Rev 19. Ask yourself, where is it written of the copy cat who imitates Jesus riding a white horse? The answer is the white horse rider of Rev 6, the thieving copy cat who seeks to devour and conquer any that will not follow him.


    Lightning comes before the Thunder! If you don't know that lightning comes before the thunder, you just might think the lightning is the thunder!


    Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

    10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.



    Hope this helps!

    Bless you,
    Love Fountain

  12. #12

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by BroRog
    Good explanation, very reasonable and well thought out. I wonder, however, why Jesus and not Titus?
    To clarify, I think the first white-horseman is the Church or Gospel (of Jesus), but not Jesus individually. The parallelism between the two white-horsemen solidifies their function in John's visions, but their exact identities are determined by context: the first white-horseman is a personification, given that all four horsemen are personifications, not persons; the second white-horseman is a person, specifically Jesus in that he bears the title (King of kings) which John uses only of Jesus earlier in the book.

    Titus is of very little direct consequence to John's visions, and he wouldn't be consistent with the symbolism John uses. All of the things within the seven seals are by design of God himself; they are not against God, they are from God. The beast's conquest is by power and oppression, against the way of God. The Church's conquest, following the example of Jesus, is by selflessness and love. 'To the one who conquers', Jesus says, will receive the color white and the stephanos crown.

    If John even has Titus in mind at all, he would be identified with the beast by virtue of being one of the emperors of pagan Rome. The beast doesn't bear the color white, nor the crown of righteous victory.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Coastal Mountains
    Posts
    7,938

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakeros View Post

    If we apply the directions these spirits went and tie in with those in Revelations we have White and Black going North, which could mean anywhere in that direction. I think to Europe. We have Red remaining in the Middle East - where there is still a time of strife and we have the dappled heading south, which in Revelations 6 is a green horse.
    Christendom (White) and Capitalistic Democracy (Black) both originate from the North
    Communism was started by an ethnic Jew - Karl Marx
    Islam (Green) came from the South

    Just some thoughts and ideas for you.
    I just read this now, and see its very similar to my beliefs, where did you get this from? I worked it out myself and so am surprised someone else has similar beliefs:
    Christendom (Crusaders - West) -White Horse - for >1000 years bent on conquering Israel until 1917
    Communism -Red Horse - takes away world peace
    Capitalism - Black Horse symbol of banking - business controls democracies - rich get richer, poor get poorer (current state of affairs)
    Islam - Pale Horse - symbol of Islam - the horse of Imam

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Acts
    Posts
    3,842

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    I just read this now, and see its very similar to my beliefs, where did you get this from? I worked it out myself and so am surprised someone else has similar beliefs:
    Christendom (Crusaders - West) -White Horse - for >1000 years bent on conquering Israel until 1917
    Communism -Red Horse - takes away world peace
    Capitalism - Black Horse symbol of banking - business controls democracies - rich get richer, poor get poorer (current state of affairs)
    Islam - Pale Horse - symbol of Islam - the horse of Imam
    As I put in my first answer, I started by looking at other scripture - this lead me to Zechariah. When I compared the two, the difference was the final horse colour. So I checked the original word in Rev and found the word is actually Green, like the grass is green. Root word of Chlorophyll. At best it could be translated as pale green and not pale. This then led me to look at what the riders were doing and carrying.
    The Green Horse should be bringing life, but instead is carrying Death and Hades.
    The Black horse rider is holding a pair of scales. This is obviously tied in with buying and selling. But it is also an ancient symbol for justice thus rule and control. Hence Capitalism and Democracy. Of course to be in the Black is good for a Capitalist.

    These are spirits according to Zec and listed as Riders, the horses are the systems they use. A bit like Babylon rides the Scarlet Beast. Except in her case the Beast will devour her. So not actual individuals, but powers or principalities in the spiritual realms.

  15. #15

    Re: who is the rider on the white horse?

    John was writing to real people in real churches who were undergoing - in some cases - intense persecution. The book, therefore, of necessity requires that they - the people to whom he was writing - would've been able to understand what he was writing, otherwise Jesus could've waited 2,000 years to have it written in terms meant for us.

    This book is not about us, has never been about us, and will never be about us and the reason it makes so little sense to so many today is that they try to read and understand it as though it were written to us.

    Until people commit to reading it as written to a pre-70 AD audience, the symbols in it will remain the object of endless speculation and - often heated - argument.

    You can start on the road to understanding the symbolic in it by accepting the literal:

    The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:1-3 (NASB)

    That passage was no more written to us than any other passage in the book. Start there.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    "Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

    -- Ronald Reagan --

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The rider of the white horse
    By markedward in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: Oct 1st 2009, 08:42 PM
  2. Cloud Rider
    By paidforinfull in forum Poetry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 21st 2008, 06:15 AM
  3. Been on Horse Carriage?
    By PeterJ in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 13th 2008, 05:37 AM
  4. The White Horse
    By gophgetter in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Sep 14th 2008, 05:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •