Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a question about shampoo for color treated hair

I have a question about shampoo for color treated hair

I color my own hair (non permanent color from loreal nutrise something) and use shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. I've been using Herbal Essences Color me happy though I've used tresseme, suave, salon selectives and Redkin (that was a Christmas present from my mom) all for color treated hair, so far, but I was at target and looked at the ingredients on the shampoo bottles> I read that sulfates are bad for colored hair, they strip the hair down or the color out. But every shampoo has it, even the ones for color treated hair. So unless I'm missing something, does it really matter what shampoo ya use for hair that is colored? Is it all just an advertisement gimmick to get people to buy it? Seems confusing to me.
    <a href=http://i77.photobucket.com/ albums/j70/Elsie_2006/hysterical.gif target=_blank>http://i77.photobucket.com/ albums/j...hysterical.gif</a>

Re: I have a question about shampoo for color treated hair

Hi Godslittleangel, Redkin is expensive, I use Pantene , it seems to work best for me because my hair is so thick and long and fro-ee(thats my new word) think Chaka Khan, thats my hair when its not straigtened. Try different kinds of shampoo and conditioner to see what works best for you, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on salon grade shampoo and conditioner.

Yeah, I don't buy the salon stuff cuz its so expensive. My mom had given it to me for Christmas this year, it was on sale and she had needed another gift for me so she bought the shampoo and conditioner. I am just using that when I have to go somewhere since the bottles are smaller. So far herbal essences have been working well, tresemme has too. Haven't tried pantene yet. I color my hair so I've been just trying the stuff for colored hair.I have lots of fly aways especially at the top with the shorter hair coming in, they like to stick up and my ends get kind of frizzy. So i use the he smooth cream which helps a bit. But I should look into the pantene to see if they have any int he colored hair line for smooth hair. I'm not really sure if the regular stuff would strip the color out faster or not, they all have the sulfate in them that we are supposed to stay away from if we color hair but I'm not sure. So I'm not sure what the difference is between the regular shampoo/conditioner and the stuff made for color treated hair. lol
    <a href=http://i77.photobucket.com/ albums/j70/Elsie_2006/hysterical.gif target=_blank>http://i77.photobucket.com/ albums/j...hysterical.gif</a>

I love to experiment with my hair using new hair colors, and hair accessories. When I get my hair colored I do not use shampoo or conditioners which are specialized for colored hair.
    Last edited by jayne; Nov 29th 2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: deleted the link

I've only colored my hair once so I don't have personal experience with buying shampoos and conditioners for color treated hair, but from what I understand they really can extend the longevity of your color by helping to prevent fading. Not washing your hair as often can also help you to keep the color longer because each time you shampoo you wash away a bit of your color. It's also healthier for your hair to wash it just a few times a week instead of daily. I had been washing my hair twice a day because I run in the morning and dance at night, but since cutting back it's much healthier. I use a dry shampoo now and I like it a lot. From what I understand, dry shampoos don't fade your color like ones you use with water do. They also smell lovely....

Sulfates are a what make shampoos lather. There's a ton of marketing hype about sulfate free shampoo but I don't know that they're worth the hype. They won't really strip down your hair of color that intensely or weaken your hair, but if you have a sensitive scalp they could irritate it. You need to use a sulfates free shampoo if you have hair extensions because the sulfates can cause the bonds to deteriorate faster, but I think most regular hair reacts fine with it. It's one of the most common ingredients in hair and bath products and has been around for generations but has only recently been so scrutinized. We minimize the use of sulfates, but not because of fear they harm our hair. My stepmom is a pediatrician and recommends using sulfates free products because they can cause acne and skin irritation if you have more sensitive skin, which my sisters and I do. I'm 16 so I'm more prone to breakouts than you are probably. Even a toothpaste with SLS can break me out. If you're not sensitive to sulfates I wouldn't pay more for a sulfates-free shampoo.

So yeah get a product for color treated hair but not necessarily a sulfates-free one. I like the site MakeupAlley to read product reviews. It might be helpful to you.

Blog Entries

I have determined that my color fades regardless but staying away from clarifying shampoos helps.
    I think the heat styling, sun and too much washing create more problems then anything else?

I like the Garnier Fructis products as far as affordability. I also use Argon Oil after washing.
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Quote Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
    I've only colored my hair once so I don't have personal experience with buying shampoos and conditioners for color treated hair, but from what I understand they really can extend the longevity of your color by helping to prevent fading. Not washing your hair as often can also help you to keep the color longer because each time you shampoo you wash away a bit of your color. It's also healthier for your hair to wash it just a few times a week instead of daily. I had been washing my hair twice a day because I run in the morning and dance at night, but since cutting back it's much healthier. I use a dry shampoo now and I like it a lot. From what I understand, dry shampoos don't fade your color like ones you use with water do. They also smell lovely....

Sulfates are a what make shampoos lather. There's a ton of marketing hype about sulfate free shampoo but I don't know that they're worth the hype. They won't really strip down your hair of color that intensely or weaken your hair, but if you have a sensitive scalp they could irritate it. You need to use a sulfates free shampoo if you have hair extensions because the sulfates can cause the bonds to deteriorate faster, but I think most regular hair reacts fine with it. It's one of the most common ingredients in hair and bath products and has been around for generations but has only recently been so scrutinized. We minimize the use of sulfates, but not because of fear they harm our hair. My stepmom is a pediatrician and recommends using sulfates free products because they can cause acne and skin irritation if you have more sensitive skin, which my sisters and I do. I'm 16 so I'm more prone to breakouts than you are probably. Even a toothpaste with SLS can break me out. If you're not sensitive to sulfates I wouldn't pay more for a sulfates-free shampoo.

So yeah get a product for color treated hair but not necessarily a sulfates-free one. I like the site MakeupAlley to read product reviews. It might be helpful to you.
    I will have to check out that site then. never thought about sulfates having an effect on acne. I'm in my early thirties and still have acne. Never got rid of it. Stayed with me through my teens, twenties and still now. but I found a product that helps with it. I use the non permanent color, did the permanent once but haven't since then. But I will have to try out some of the other shampoos/conditioners and see. the boxes are only 5-6 bucks so if it washes out faster, its not like I spent 50 bucks or so on the hair color. Sometimes its fun just to try different products. And the only difference in the products in the color care shamp/cond is the smell. lol

I tried the dry shampoo. My hair did feel oily after, and I had a tendency to not rub it in very well or maybe put too much on and had a white patchy scalp? I used the suave kind just to try it out. I don't think I have it anymore though. Maybe will have to pick up another bottle here to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
    I have determined that my color fades regardless but staying away from clarifying shampoos helps.
    I think the heat styling, sun and too much washing create more problems then anything else?

I like the Garnier Fructis products as far as affordability. I also use Argon Oil after washing.
    I try not to style with heat very often. I have a straightener and rarely use it. Christmas was the last time I used it and sometime in Oct was the last before that. And the hair dryer, I use warm or the cool setting on it. But still use the heat protector. But don't use the dryer very often either. more than the straightener but not daily.

Also for washing hair every other day or couple times a week, do you use products in your hair? I have flyaways and frizz. I also shower at night and go to bed right after on the nights when I have to get up really early int he morning otherwise I try to stay up and let it air dry. I work till about midnight at my full time job. But even then its frizzy and not nice looking after sleeping on it. so i have been using product to smooth it out a bit. I could try to wash my hair in the morning. I work in the hospital and do patient care and get quite a few patients who have mrsa or cdiff so I always feel like i"m carrying that on me when I get home so I jump in the shower.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Godslittleangel View Post

I try not to style with heat very often. I have a straightener and rarely use it. Christmas was the last time I used it and sometime in Oct was the last before that. And the hair dryer, I use warm or the cool setting on it. But still use the heat protector. But don't use the dryer very often either. more than the straightener but not daily.
    I bet your hair grows fast without it breaking off due to styling! I do allow my hair to air dry a few times a week, but it is very wavy and so I like to flat iron it to reduce the amount of body.

Also for washing hair every other day or couple times a week, do you use products in your hair?
    Yes, I use argon oil and sometimes coconut oil. But my hair is really thick and it helps to make it not so big and fluffy. If you have fine hair it might end up looking greasy? Not sure.

I have flyaways and frizz.
    Yeah. I suffer from frizz too if I don't use something to mellow it out.

I also shower at night and go to bed right after on the nights when I have to get up really early int he morning otherwise I try to stay up and let it air dry. I work till about midnight at my full time job. But even then its frizzy and not nice looking after sleeping on it. so i have been using product to smooth it out a bit. I could try to wash my hair in the morning. I work in the hospital and do patient care and get quite a few patients who have mrsa or cdiff so I always feel like i"m carrying that on me when I get home so I jump in the shower.
    I guess it depends on the products you use to smooth it. I have a few that I know probably dry my hair out in the long run, but they work in the immediate for frizz. I try to not use them much. I totally get washing your hair after being in that environment. I would do the same.

I have wanted to try Wen products but they are really expensive so
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
    I bet your hair grows fast without it breaking off due to styling! I do allow my hair to air dry a few times a week, but it is very wavy and so I like to flat iron it to reduce the amount of body.

Yes, I use argon oil and sometimes coconut oil. But my hair is really thick and it helps to make it not so big and fluffy. If you have fine hair it might end up looking greasy? Not sure.

Yeah. I suffer from frizz too if I don't use something to mellow it out.

I guess it depends on the products you use to smooth it. I have a few that I know probably dry my hair out in the long run, but they work in the immediate for frizz. I try to not use them much. I totally get washing your hair after being in that environment. I would do the same.

I have wanted to try Wen products but they are really expensive so
    My hair doesn't grow fast enough! Or it seems. Trying to grow it out a bit here. But it is thin so the oil probably would make it look oily. Never thought about that. haha

I use the suave sleek. I have the suave keratin leave in conditioner with heat protector in it that i use when I use the dryer and then put a little suave sleek cream on the dried hair and the light hold hair spray also from suave. I have been using suave lately the professionals line. I like the smell of their keratin shamp/conditioner. I do like the herbal essences products too. I haven't tried much of the fructis nutris products. I had one leave in contioner frizz control (it was a good sized round bottle) but through it because it was old. Had it for quite awhile and forgot about it. so it sat in my closet for a long time. Oops.

Is the wen products like a cleansing conditioner type?

Blog Entries

My hair doesn't grow fast enough! Or it seems. Trying to grow it out a bit here. But it is thin so the oil probably would make it look oily. Never thought about that. haha

I use the suave sleek. I have the suave keratin leave in conditioner with heat protector in it that i use when I use the dryer and then put a little suave sleek cream on the dried hair and the light hold hair spray also from suave. I have been using suave lately the professionals line. I like the smell of their keratin shamp/conditioner. I do like the herbal essences products too. I haven't tried much of the fructis nutris products. I had one leave in contioner frizz control (it was a good sized round bottle) but through it because it was old. Had it for quite awhile and forgot about it. so it sat in my closet for a long time. Oops.

Is the wen products like a cleansing conditioner type?
    I have used the suave salon products too. I have some shea butter conditioner I use off and on.

Yes the Wen is as you said. I just watched a bunch of youtube videos about it..LOL.
    I will not spend the money so perhaps it is time to grow my own herbs and extract oils from almonds and such to create my own amazing and less expensive product.
    The gals in Hollywood can have it.
    Peace to you!

Haha, yep they can! that stuff looks like fun to try but i'm not a fan of the price either. lol I see Herbal essences has a cleansing conditioner out now. I wonder if its their take from the wen products? Wonder if that would be worth a try and a lot cheaper too.

Blog Entries

Haha, yep they can! that stuff looks like fun to try but i'm not a fan of the price either. lol I see Herbal essences has a cleansing conditioner out now. I wonder if its their take from the wen products? Wonder if that would be worth a try and a lot cheaper too.
    I looked at the Herbal Essences cleansing conditioner and I am very willing to try it! I had no idea this existed. I will but it tomorrow and let you know how it works for me.
    Peace to you!

I will have to check out that site then. never thought about sulfates having an effect on acne. I'm in my early thirties and still have acne. Never got rid of it. Stayed with me through my teens, twenties and still now. but I found a product that helps with it.

I tried the dry shampoo. My hair did feel oily after, and I had a tendency to not rub it in very well or maybe put too much on and had a white patchy scalp? I used the suave kind just to try it out. I don't think I have it anymore though. Maybe will have to pick up another bottle here to try.

You wouldn't think your hair products could contribute to acne, but they can because shampoo and conditioner can drip onto your face in the shower.

The dry shampoo brands I've tried are from Alterna, Stila, and Batiste, and I recommend all of them. I haven't had a white patch or oiliness with any of them. Batiste is definitely the most affordable and you can buy it at places like Walgreens. It smells really nice! You just have to make sure you're not holding the can super close to your head or else it will come out too forcefully. I hold the can like 8 inches away and slowly spray it all over the top of my head, then flip my hair and spray underneath. I then run my fingers through my scalp with the same motions you'd use when washing your hair with regular shampoo.

Also for washing hair every other day or couple times a week, do you use products in your hair? I have flyaways and frizz. I also shower at night and go to bed right after on the nights when I have to get up really early int he morning otherwise I try to stay up and let it air dry. I work till about midnight at my full time job. But even then its frizzy and not nice looking after sleeping on it. so i have been using product to smooth it out a bit. I could try to wash my hair in the morning. I work in the hospital and do patient care and get quite a few patients who have mrsa or cdiff so I always feel like i"m carrying that on me when I get home so I jump in the shower.

I use a product called Hot Toddy Heat Protector Frizz Fighter by Drybar after shampooing and conditioning my hair in the shower. It's pricy but you just need a tiny bit and it lasts a lonnnnnggggg time. My hair isn't too prone to flyways or frizz, and we live in SoCal where there's not a lot of humidity. When I'm visiting my grandparents I use a little aragon oil in my hair because it's so humid there. I do a mask with coconut oil a couple of times a month. Maybe you could wear a shower cap at night and then just wash your hair in the morning?

I live in a humid place so frizz/flyaways happen. But they happen in winter too oddly. I skipped washing my hair tonight, I washed last night and put just a night time leave in conditioner by pantene and nothing in this morning. Just used wet hands to smooth it out, put it in a ponytail and used a headband to hold the shorter hair back. I need to figure out those ones that go around the head and a method to keep them on. I will try to wash my hair in the morning though. That may be easier. Not a morning person, me and snooze button are best friends and have a hard time parting. But I think I can try to end that friendship and get up earlier. It wasn't a very good friendship to begin with. If a person wasn't careful, it could cause lots of problems. Found out I can go to bed even earlier when I don't wash my hair at night. So I could get 6 hours of sleep. Which I need to get to bed now. I will have to try that product out. I looked it up online, and see sephora has it (we have a little mini store in JCpennys will have to see if they have it there) but I will have to put money aside for awhile to buy that. can't afford to buy it now.

Do any of you ladies ever use Dippity-do? It sure was popular with women when I was young.

Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Thread Information