Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Apostle Paul being almost sarcastic?

The Apostle Paul being almost sarcastic?

When I read what the Apostle Paul has written a lot of it almost comes across as sarcastic. I realize it is hard to read sarcasm and I am not even sure if that is what it is. One particular instance I can think of off hand is when he ridicules the Chief Priest and then when confronted with the fact that this guy is the Chief Priest and is not to be ridiculed, Paul kind of takes back what he has said and claims he didn't know (although he has said what he wanted to say.) Of course some people say that he really didn't know and that may be true. I also notice a lot in the letters he wrote (nothing off hand) but he just seems to have a very strange way of making a point. I wonder about this because it often effects what I get out of it as opposed to what other people get out of the same passage. Maybe because I am sarcastic?

Anyone else ever wonder about this?

Re: The Apostle Paul being almost sarcastic?

Paul certainly comes across as sarcastic and ironic in his epistles from time to time, usually as a way to highlight what he thinks as the absurdity of a given situation. Nothing wrong with that, but it just shows we need to be careful not to confuse his sarcasm or irony as the literal point he intends to make, when in fact he means the exact opposite.

Blog Entries

Paul spent a lot of time trying to halt the false teaching of those who were insisting that new believers should obey the Law of Moses.
    Here's Paul's classic response to the legalisers who were insisting that Gentile Christians were circumcised.

Gal5v12.
    I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

Or the less polite version from the Greek.
    I wish that those who are upsetting you would castrate themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    One particular instance I can think of off hand is when he ridicules the Chief Priest and then when confronted with the fact that this guy is the Chief Priest and is not to be ridiculed, Paul kind of takes back what he has said and claims he didn't know (although he has said what he wanted to say.) Of course some people say that he really didn't know and that may be true.
    What passage is this?

Sarcasm?

"You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed ascrucified?
    2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of [b]the Law, or by [c]hearing with faith?3 Are you so foolish? Having begun [d]by the Spirit, are you now [e]being perfected by the flesh?4 Did you [f]suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain?5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works [g]miracles among you, do it by the works of [h]the Law, or by [i]hearing with faith?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Sarcasm?

"You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed ascrucified?
    2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of [b]the Law, or by [c]hearing with faith?3 Are you so foolish? Having begun [d]by the Spirit, are you now [e]being perfected by the flesh?4 Did you [f]suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain?5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works [g]miracles among you, do it by the works of [h]the Law, or by [i]hearing with faith?"

Nick! One of my favorite passages. In school we had to choose a passage to passionately read aloud. Most people chose various Psalms: "The Lord is compassionate
    and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love."

I chose the passage above and pounded my fist on the podium as I called my audience foolish Galatians. It was pretty awesome.

Yep, I'm really curious to see these sarcastic passages.........

Blog Entries

If Paul was sarcastic I guess I'll just fess up now.

I love sarcasm!
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

A thought, seems it may be prudent to understand "who" Paul was making sarcastic remarks... AT?
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

I find Paul to be delightfully sarcastic at times, ridiculously passive aggressive at times, and generally someone not to be trifled with.

I like that.

He had absolutely zero patience for people that thought religious silliness was more important that people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    What passage is this?
    Acts 23.

In context here, Paul is about to flogged by Romans when he tell them he is a Roman citizen. This alarms the head centurion and he wants to take him to the Jewish leadership and find out exactly why they are supposed to flog Paul. So has been taking to the Sanhedrin and chief priests to answer questions. He is standing before Ananias, the high priest, and say that he (Paul) has served God with a clear conscience. Then Ananias, the high priest, order the men holding Paul to start beating him in the face.

Paul clearly rebukes the high priest greatly. He say to Ananias, "You whitewashed wall! God will hit you. You sit there to judge me by the Law of Moses. But at the same time you order men to break the Law by hitting me." He pretty much lowered the boom on Ananias. The men with him said, "Hey, don't you know that you are insulting the High Priest?"

Some say that when Paul said, "I didn't know he was the high priest" and quoted Exodus 22:28 that he was being sarcastic Like, "Oh, you mean THIS guy who just violated the Law - he's the high priest? Oh, I didn't recognize him".

Even if Paul were not being sarcastic - even if he were being literal, what he said was still true.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Thanks jayne. I don't see any sarcasm there. Paul would not have intentionally broken the law while pointing out Ananias was breaking the law.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    I find Paul to be delightfully sarcastic at times, ridiculously passive aggressive at times, and generally someone not to be trifled with.

I like that.

He had absolutely zero patience for people that thought religious silliness was more important that people.
    What I like about that same passage in Acts 23 after the Romans took him to the Sanhedrin is how he cleverly got the Sanhedrin to start fighting among themselves so much that the very Romans who were supposed to flog him feared at the Sanhedrin riot and whisked Paul away to "protect" him. LOL!!!!

"6 Then Paul, knowing that some of them were Sadducees and the others Pharisees, called out in the Sanhedrin, “My brothers, I am a Pharisee, descended from Pharisees. I stand on trial because of the hope of the resurrection of the dead.” 7 When he said this, a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and the assembly was divided. 8 (The Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, and that there are neither angels nor spirits, but the Pharisees believe all these things.)

9 There was a great uproar, and some of the teachers of the law who were Pharisees stood up and argued vigorously. “We find nothing wrong with this man,” they said. “What if a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?” 10 The dispute became so violent that the commander was afraid Paul would be torn to pieces by them. He ordered the troops to go down and take him away from them by force and bring him into the barracks.

11 The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    Thanks jayne. I don't see any sarcasm there. Paul would not have intentionally broken the law while pointing out Ananias was breaking the law.
    You are right. Paul would not have been a hypocrite. I guess the question then comes as to was Paul violating Exodus 22:28? The law said, "don't blaspheme or curse your leaders". In pointing out the hypocrisy of the high priest and warning him about what God was going to do to him - was that blaspheming and cursing the high priest?
    ".....it's your nickel"

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

The point is that Ananais was not the High Priest. Caiphas was. Ananais was the former high priest, no longer holding office but still holding power over Caiphas, his son in law, who was nothing more than a tool of the Roman government, having been appointed by Pilate.

Paul was being extremely sarcastic, pointing out that Ananais was not the High Priest, just an old man manipulating and politicking behind the scenes. He certainly was not serving in the role of High Priest.

Thread Information