Thread: My bible study on Baptism.

My bible study on Baptism.

My Bible Study on Baptism

In the New Testament, we read of a person called John the Baptist. He came to prepare the way for Jesus, the Messiah. He preached a message of repentance and baptism. When people heard his message and repented, they were baptized in water. (Mt 3:6, Mt 3:11, Mk 1:4-7, Lk 3:3, Lk 3:16, Acts 13:24, Acts 19:4).

This baptism was immersion in water and was a ceremonial washing to represent they had been cleansed. The water itself was not for the purpose of removing dirt from the body, but as the Apostle Peter writes in 1 Peter 3:21 it is a pledge of clear conscience towards God.

John the Baptist said his baptism was one of repentance, but Jesus baptism would be with the Holy Spirit and with Fire (Mt 3:11, Mk 1:7, Lk 3:16, Acts 1:5, Acts 2:4).

Jesus disciples also baptized with water for repentance (Jn 4:1-2).

Jesus himself was baptized by John the Baptist, even though he was sinless. This was done in order that all righteousness be fulfilled (Mt 3:13-15).

At the Cross.

When Jesus died on the cross, something significant happened.

He died for our sins (1 Corinthians 15:3). Because he was sinless. (2 Cor 5:21; Heb 4:15) He was risen from the dead (Acts 2:24, 1 Cor 15:4, Rom 6:9). He became our High Priest of a New Covenant (Heb 4:14-15, Heb 5:7-10, Heb 6:20, Heb 9:11).

Before he ascended to heaven as recorded in Acts 1:5, Jesus told his disciples that in a few days they will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. This happened on the day of Pentecost, those gathered were filled with Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4). This was Jesus baptism.

After Jesus death, resurrection and ascension and the sending of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, baptism changed. No longer was baptism just for repentance, but it also included Jesus death, resurrection and the receiving of the Holy Spirit (Mt 3:11, Mk 1:7, Lk 3:16, Acts 1:5, Acts 2:4).

Acts records that water was still used when baptizing people into Jesus Baptism. The water is not only a matter of ceremonial washing (Jn 3:22-25), it also is a cleaning of our conscience towards God (1 Pet 3:21).

The book of Acts records that those in the early church who heard the message and believed were baptized. (Acts 2:41, Acts 8:12, Acts 8:13, Acts 8:38, Acts 18:8)

So what does baptism into Jesus mean?
    The Apostle Paul writes that when we are baptized, we are baptized into Christ (Gal 3:26-19).

Into his name
    (Acts 2:38, Acts 8:16, Acts 10:48, Acts 19:5)

Into his death
    (Rom 6:3-4; Col 2:9-12).
    In baptism, our sin dies and we receive the forgiveness of sin, through his blood sacrifice (Rom 6:1-14, 1 Peter 2:24).

Into his resurrection
    (Rom 6:5, Rom 8:11, 2 Cor 4:14, Col 2:12).
    Just as Christ was risen from the dead, we also will be raised from the dead (Rom 6:5, Rom 8:11, 2 Cor 4:14, Col 2:12).

In baptism we are clothed with Christ
    (Gal 3:26-27).
    Christ is our righteousness (1 Cor 1:30).

Therefore, when we are baptized into him, there is just one baptism, one faith and one body, that is in Christ (1 Cor 12:12, Eph 4:4-5).
    We are not baptized into any other baptism. Not the baptism of John the Baptist, not of Paul or Apollos or Cephas, but in Christ (1 Cor 1:10-17; 1 Cor 1:12-14).

The Father, Son and Holy Spirit [God head]

The Father and Holy Spirit were present at Jesus Baptism (Mt 3:13-17, Mk 1:9-10; Lk 3:21).
    In the same way we are baptized in the name of The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit as Jesus commissioned the 12 Apostles (Mt 28:19).

Does being baptized in Christ Jesus automatically mean that we receive the Holy Spirit?

In Acts 8:14-17, Luke records that there were some new believers in Samaria who had believed and had been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, but had not yet received the Holy Spirit. Peter and John placed hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.

Is John the Baptist baptism the same as Jesus Baptism?

Acts 19:1-5 writes of some believers who had only received the Baptism of John the Baptist, a baptism of repentance. At that time, they did not know about the Holy Spirit. They were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus and Paul placed hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.

Re: My bible study on Baptism.

My bible study on baptism continued...

John 1:17 (NIV)
    17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

John the Baptist testifies.

The Jewish leaders sent priests and Levites to John the Baptist to ask who he was. They wanted to know by what authority he was baptizing? (John 1:19)

John 1:19 (NIV)
    19 Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was.

The three questions they asked of him. Was he The Messiah, Elijah or a Prophet?

John himself clearly states, he is not the Messiah (John 3:28)

He is not Elijah (Returned to earth in bodily form - John 1:21)

And he is not a Prophet (John 1:21).

John 1:20-22 (NIV)
    John 1:20 (NIV) He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messiah.”

John 1: 21 (NIV) They asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.”

Are you the Prophet?” He answered, “No.

John 1:22 (NIV) Finally they said, “Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?”

John the Baptist was the one fulfilling the prophecy of scripture written in Isaiah 40:3, but his ministry was different to that of a prophet of the old testament (Deuteronomy 18:15, 18:18).

John 1:23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’”

Isaiah 40:3 A voice of one calling: “In the wilderness prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

John the Baptist himself testifies of this.

John 1:23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’”

John 1:15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”)

Luke 3:16 (NIV) John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

They asked John, why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, Elijah or a Prophet? (John 1:24-26)

John 1:31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”

Luke 3:16 (NIV) John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. [B]He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

The Birth of John the Baptist and confirming his Ministry.

The Angel of God, Gabriel announces the birth John the Baptist birth and ministry (Luke 1:5-56)

In Luke 1:19, an Angel of God, Gabriel appears before Zechariah, to announce that his wife Elizabeth will bear a son and to call him John (Luke 1:11-13). He will go before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah (Luke 1:17).

God also sent the Angel Gabriel to Mary to announce that she would bear a son, who was to be the Messiah (Luke1:26-38).

Mary was Elizabeth’s relative and when she heard the news she went and stayed with Elizabeth for 3 months (Luke 1:56).

Luke 1:36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month.

Luke 1:56 Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.

The Transfiguration on the Mount.
    [Mt 17:1-13; Mark 9:2-13; Luke 9:28-36]

The apostles present at the transfiguration were Peter, James and John. Those who appeared at the time of the transfiguration were:

Moses – Representing the Old Covenant and to whom the law was given (Jn 1:17; Mt 17:3)

Elijah – The Prophet who would come first to restore all things (Mk 9:11-12; Mt 17:11-13)

Jesus, the son of God – The fulfilment of the law and the one who would die to pay for our sins and begin a new covenant.

God the Father, whom testified that Jesus was his son (Mt 17:5; Mk 9:7)

The full representation of the past and the future were shown at the transfiguration.

At the transfiguration, Moses and Elijah were speaking with Jesus regarding his departure (Mt 17:3, Mk 9:4; Lk 9:31).

Elijah and John the Baptist

Jesus told them Elijah had already come in the form of John the Baptist (Mt 17:10-13). John had testified truthfully, when he said he was not the Christ, not Elijah and not a Prophet (John 1:20-23).

Jesus, when speaking about John the Baptist also said as recorded in MT 11:13-15

Mathew 11:13 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. 15 Whoever has ears, let them hear.

My bible study on baptism continued …

John the apostle records in his book, the conversation Jesus had with a Jewish Pharisee named Nicomedus. Nicodemus was a member of the Jewish ruling council (John 3:1) and one of Israel’s teachers (John 3:10).

Nicodemus being a teacher of Israel himself, he also considered Jesus his teacher, calling him Rabbi and acknowledging that he was send from God, demonstrated by the signs he performed (John 3:2).

In the conservation Jesus had with Nicodemus, Jesus replied, No one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again (John 3:3).

Nicodemus answers surely, they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!

We know that a second natural birth of the womb is impossible, so Jesus is not talking about a natural physical birth a second time, but replies no one can see the kingdom of God, unless they are born of water and spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh but spirit gives birth to spirit (John 3:5)

So what does born of water and the spirit
    mean in relation to seeing the kingdom of God.

Metaphors

Jesus not only spoke literally at times, but he also spoke in parables and used metaphors. Metaphors are words or phrases used to describe something else in image form.

For example:

Jesus referred to living water, but what he was talking about was the Holy Spirit (John 7:38-39).

Jesus warned his disciples to beware of the yeast of the Pharisees. Jesus was not talking about yeast in bread, but warning his disciples to beware of the teachings of the Pharisees and the Sadducees (Matthew 16:6-11).

In the same way, Jesus was using metaphors when speaking to Nicodemus regarding being born of water and born of spirit.

Born of Water

John the Baptist message was a message of repentance and with repentance came baptism in water (Mt 3:6, Mt 3:11,Mk 1:4-7, Lk 3:3, Lk 3:16, Acts 13:24, Acts 19:4).

This baptism was not only a ceremonial washing (John 3:25), but also is a clear conscience towards God (1 Peter 3:21).

In my opinion, Jesus was using born of water as a metaphor referring to baptism. For what other meaning is there for born of water in scripture in relation to seeing the kingdom of God?

Born of the Spirit

Once we believe, confess and repent of our sins and are baptized in Christ Jesus, we begin a new spiritual life. We are born again of the spirit. We begin a new spiritual life in God.

We not only see the kingdom of God (John 3:3), but we also enter into the kingdom of God, through Christ Jesus.

For John the writes later on in his book, Chapter 14:6

(John 14:6 NIV) Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John then goes on to write about how Jesus spoke to Nicodemus regarding heavenly things (John 3:12-18).

Salvation through Christ Jesus of Nazareth.

(Jesus himself was from heaven)

John 3:13 (NIV)
    No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.

(Speaking of his crucifixion on the cross)

John 3:14 (NIV)
    Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.

(Speaking of Gods love for mankind and his plan for salvation)
    John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

(Speaking of the Grace of God, Jesus was sent not to condemn, but to save)

John 3:17 (NIV)
    For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

John 3:18 (NIV) Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

(Jesus is light to the World)

John 3:19 (NIV)
    This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.

John 3:21 (NIV) But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

A last note on Nicodemus.

After Jesus death, Nicodemus was with Joseph of Arimathea and helped him with the burial of Jesus after his death.

(John 19:38 NIV) Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jews. With Pilate's permission, he came and took the body away.

(John 19:39 NIV) He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds.

(John 19:40 NIV) Taking Jesus' body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs.

(John 19:41 NIV) At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had ever been laid.

(John 19:42 NIV) Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

Well done, Chad.

Don't be afraid to tell others who may ask you what you believe.

You are swimming against the Protestant tide with this, but that does not mean you are wrong.
    Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
    George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Born of Water[/U]
    John the Baptist message was a message of repentance and with repentance came baptism in water (Mt 3:6, Mt 3:11,Mk 1:4-7, Lk 3:3, Lk 3:16, Acts 13:24, Acts 19:4).
    Hi chad,

In Matthew 3:11, we read: I baptize you with water for/unto repentance.. So are we water baptized "in order to obtain" repentance or "in reference to/in regards to" repentance which already took place? Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.

This baptism was not only a ceremonial washing (John 3:25), but also is a clear conscience towards God (1 Peter 3:21).
    (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Water can only cleanse the flesh outwardly; it does not cleanse the heart from sin. It is that aspect of baptism (what is signified, "the answer of a good conscience toward God") rather than the external rite (the sign, the application of water) that saves.

In my opinion, Jesus was using born of water as a metaphor referring to baptism. For what other meaning is there for born of water in scripture in relation to seeing the kingdom of God?
    Jesus said, "born of water and of the Spirit" He did not say born of baptism and of the Spirit. In John 4:10, Jesus said, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." (This he spoke concerning the Spirit - John 7:39). In John 4:14, Jesus said, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. (1 Corinthians 12:13 says ..drink into one Spirit). But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life." Jesus connects this living water here with everlasting life. Living water is not water baptism. I see a reference to the spiritual washing or purification of the soul, accomplished through the Holy Spirit by the Word of God at the moment of salvation (Ephesians 5:26; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:23). I believe this is signified in water baptism but not procured.

Once we believe, confess and repent of our sins and are baptized in Christ Jesus, we begin a new spiritual life. We are born again of the spirit. We begin a new spiritual life in God.
    Once we believe the gospel, we are sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise (Ephesians 1:13). We repent of our sins as we change our mind about our sinful position and need for Christ to save us and the new direction of this change of mind is faith in Christ for salvation (Matthew 21:32; Mark 1:15; Acts 20:21). We confess that Jesus is Lord BY the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:3) not in order to receive the Holy Spirit. Believe and confess are not two separate steps to salvation but are chronologically together (Romans 10:9,10). I believe that we begin a new spiritual life in Christ and are born again prior to receiving water baptism (Acts 10:43-47; 11:17; 15:8,9).

Blog Entries

Do you think there are people who have been water baptized that do not have the Holy Spirit indwelling them? Do you think there are people who go to local buildings marked by spires and crosses on Sunday that do not have the Holy Spirit indwelling them?

How many people have you talked to in your life who saw you get water baptized? How many people have you talked to in your life who can tell by your words that you have the Holy Spirit indwelling you?

Thanks Boo, I will continue to share and post my bible studies...

God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Well done, Chad.

Don't be afraid to tell others who may ask you what you believe.

You are swimming against the Protestant tide with this, but that does not mean you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermist View Post
    Do you think there are people who have been water baptized that do not have the Holy Spirit indwelling them? Do you think there are people who go to local buildings marked by spires and crosses on Sunday that do not have the Holy Spirit indwelling them?

How many people have you talked to in your life who saw you get water baptized? How many people have you talked to in your life who can tell by your words that you have the Holy Spirit indwelling you?
    As you cannot accept Jesus as Lord without the Holy Spirit, once you have been saved and cleansed yourself with the blood of Christ then you have the Holy Ghost within you. There is no separate baptism of the Spirit. That only happened once at Pentecost, and then only as a sign to the unbeliever

In the Jewish wedding tradition the bride had to clean herself before the wedding in a Mikve. This is significant as the Bride of Christ (Rapture - Rosh Hashana) will not only have to be re-born, but also baptized.

See this link for detailed study.

We have it all upon belief ................ Of course you need to understand and have faith !

Jesus took care of every thing at the Cross!

[ "other wise did Jesus die in Vain " ? ] NO HE DID NOT !

As a newbie here I am hesitant to reply here. But got to jump in somewhere. A friend of mine is in the Church of Christ and he and I have been round and round with this. He is determined in his belief that water baptism is a part of salvation. I have heard all the scripture references of why he believes this but, is there anything we can add to the finished work of Christ? My personal opinion is that baptism is important for us to do to identify ourselves with Christ. To witness to everyone that a change has been made in us. In who we are in Him. I think the significance of it was especially important during the times of Jesus when Israel was just learning that this was indeed the promised Messiah and it was to show other Jews that they were believing in Him for their salvation and no longer the Law. Jesus told the "sinner" that wiped his feet with her hair and anointed them with oil in Luke 7:50 "your faith has saved you, go in peace." He didn't tell her go get baptized and then she would be saved. We are told in the bible in several places that our faith in Him saves us, to try to add to that seems like an insult to His already finished work.

Hi Chad,

I found your study on Baptism highly encouraging, informative and detailed. Well done!

Since you have put in this kind of effort; will it be too much if I ask you to elaborate on the following from your understanding?

1. How do you clear conscience..? clearing conscience..

2. What about water baptism for women? Is it imperative?

3. Did Mary Magdalene undergo water baptism?

thank you

Everywhere you read about repentance in the New Testament it is followed by baptism. It is true, baptism does not save you, but if you understand the Jewish Wedding tradition in my post number #9 where you can follow the link to the study, the Bride to be had to be baptized.

It is my understanding that in order to be part of the Bride of Christ (Rapture) you will have to be re-born and baptized as per the study. It is also my understanding that if you are only re-born and not baptized you will miss out on the rapture, go through the tribulation and be a guest and the wedding with the second coming of Christ with His Bride after the tribulation. You will still have everlasting life, but you will not have the privilege to be the Bride.

At your wedding here on earth there was a lot of friends at your wedding, but they did not share your wedding chamber, yet they are still your friends after the wedding. Just a simple example.

Not the whole church will be the Bride.

Thread Information