Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talking about Christ in AA meetings

Under the Milky Way where the wild mustangs play

Re: Talking about Christ in AA meetings

Some further thoughts on meetings/fellowship-

1Co 3:6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.
    1Co 3:7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.
    1Co 3:8 He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor.
    1Co 3:9 For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.
    1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it.

This has happened to me and others. Some seeds don't germinate right away. Or at all. We are still to plant. And water. Some seeds don't require much water. Some require fire for their hulls to open so they can be watered. Many types of pine and cedar are like that. So when nothing seems to be getting through (and sometimes it never does) think about seeds-planters, waterers and who gives the growth.

Think about soil too-

Mat 13:3 And he told them many things in parables, saying: "A sower went out to sow.
    Mat 13:4 And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them.
    Mat 13:5 Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil,
    Mat 13:6 but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away.
    Mat 13:7 Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them.
    Mat 13:8 Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
    Mat 13:9 He who has ears, let him hear."

I see Jesus' parables come to life in the 12 step programs. I see that parable about the soil there. So when resentment, bitterness, fear, traumatic life events come along some go back out and drink. Some who relapse come back, some don't. Wealth, power, everything going right will cause some not to come back because they think they don't need fellowship or prayer or spiritual disciplines anymore. Complacency sets in. Boredom. They've made it. Oh and this happens in church too. Some are a flash in the pan type. They are ADHD when it comes to spiritual things. Easily distracted. Move on to the next exciting thing.

But...when you get one who-

Luk 15:8 "Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it?
    Luk 15:9 And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.' The light comes on....and that is truly my greatest pleasure and joy. To see that.
    Luk 15:10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

They are all still looking to fill in the hole inside that only God can fill.

Peace, Berean11

Re: Talking about Christ in AA meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've more or less stopped going to AA. I have nothing against the program. It has saved my arse more times than I can count. The issue is people really don't want to hear about "my understanding of God" which is Christ. Any time the Bible or Christ is mentioned in an AA meeting eyes roll and there's a very negative response (usually). That has been my excuse for not going. On the flipside, it's also a great opportunity to mention the Gospel to an unbelieving community. As I study Paul's character that's exactly what he did. He preached the Gospel to pagans and nonbelievers. He didn't care what people thought. I do so I've been avoiding it and sticking to the "church crowd" because it's my "safe zone". I don't think Christ wants us to play it safe so I may need to prayerfully reconsider this as a venue for evangelizing.
    I understand fully well what you are saying. My experience is the same; eyes rolling, elbow to the side, being call a wackadoodle but I tell you this:
    I will continue to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ as I am called to do.
    Three of my good friends (brothers and sister in Christ) found Jesus through my sharing.
    Onward and forward. Keep the faith and preach on

Thread Information