Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Devil - Internal or External?

Blog Entries

Re: The Devil - Internal or External?

I think the question is whether Satan is a "person" as with the Trinitarian doctrine of God in three persons. If the depiction of Satan entering God's court is to be taken literally, Satan is a person, just as God, or an angel is a person. If the story of Satan in God's court or the case of Judas are to be taken as allegorical or symbolic, we cannot use those passages to prove Satan is a person.

One thing seems to be clear, demons are entities/beings that can inhabit people... however, some passages concerning the devil might be closer to what is inherently a human separated from God, than some external thing.
    As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Blog Entries

Great thread. Great insights and thoughts gentlemen.

I think he’s a real thing, that exists in a spirit form ( in relation to us ) so that way he can “inhabit” people sort of like God can.

We were made in Gods image right? Perhaps He Created Satan is his image as well, actually even closer than us ( not physical ). Satan can clearly inhabits(ed) Gods dimension. So Satan can almost do as much as God but clearly not all ( hence is seemingly great powers and ability to be everywhere )
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by functionjunction View Post
    as a child of god i believe even with out the bible you can find god as the potential of mankinds ultimate good and the devil as man kinds ultimate potential for evil and the holy ghost as the present
    I concur brother. Romans would agree with you.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse. 21For although they knew God, they neither glorified
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

Question Re: The Devil - Internal or External?

Quote Originally Posted by LastSeven View Post
    After more thought on this matter, I do think it's possible that the devil is not an entity but rather a spirit. And when I say "spirit" I don't mean a spiritual entity. I mean "attitude, principle, disposition or character". Kind of like "the Christmas spirit" or "the spirit of giving", or perhaps a more appropriate example would "the spirit of anti-Christ".

In this way, "the devil" can inhabit any one of us, though it wouldn't be like we see in the movies of popular culture where a spiritual being possesses a person and takes over control of their body. Rather a person takes on an attitude, principle, disposition or character of deception or any other sort of evil. I believe this is how Jesus was able to say to Peter "get behind me Satan" in Matthew 16:23 even though we all know full well that Peter is not a fallen angel.
    if i look at my life i can see the grace of god, and how the world be no fun or mundane without the devil, and in this enormous difference of potential we exist ..... the father(god),the son(asked why), and the holy ghost (the present which is above center on cross) just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by functionjunction View Post
    if i look at my life i can see the grace of god, and how the world be no fun or mundane without the devil, and in this enormous difference of potential we exist ..... the father(god),the son(asked why), and the holy ghost (the present which is above center on cross) just my thoughts
    I literally don't understand your thoughts.

I literally don't understand your thoughts.
    top of the cross heaven (head), bottom of the cross hell(crotch) and the line going through them is holy ghost or guiding force of life (heart)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    Hi

I define myself as a Christian, but I am have still a lot to learn about the Christian scriptures.

I have always believed the Devil to be an external being, a fallen angel.

However; I have also read a Bible Study where the author strongly argues that the Devil is not an external being, but instead an integrated part of ones own being. The author states that the view of a Devil as an external being, is not correct.

What is the general opinion on this issue?

God's written Word emphatically defines the devil as an external being, a covering cherub (Ezekiel 28). The ark of the covenant design has two winged cherbim stretched out over the top of the ark, and that is a pattern of God's Throne in Heaven. Satan was once one of those before he rebelled. Satan is also called an angel because he also has the image of man which all angels have, which is from God's Own Image likeness, the same likeness Adam was created with per Gen.1. So the devil does not have horns and goatee, nor does he wield a pitchfork, nor wear red flannel underwear. He has the image of man, and in Ezek.28 God showed that He made Satan the "full pattern", which is pointing to the full pattern of beauty.

In Ezekiel 28, God is describing Satan metaphorically as the king of Tyrus. The king of Tyrus was actually a pagan flesh king back in history, but in that description it speaks of him once having been in Eden, the garden of God. We know the flesh king of Tyrus was not in God's Garden of Eden back in Genesis 2-3, but 'that old serpent' (the devil) was, as the tempter. Nor was the flesh king of Tyrus ever "an anointed cherub that covereth", meaning covering the Mercy Seat of God's Throne. God is simply using the role of the flesh king of Tyrus to describe what Satan did of old when he rebelled against God in coveting God's Throne.

Are there some who think the devil is just some evil force? Yes, and a lot of those beliefs are from old pagan belief systems, like Zoroastrianism, which has a good entity battling against an evil entity, both being equal forces going against each other. The Chinese Ying/Yang belief system is similar, but without entities, just forces. God's Word is not like any of those pagan systems of belief, and the main reason is because God controls what the devil can do. They are not equal in power, God is Supreme. He is simply using the devil as a punishing rod upon the wicked. If we follow what God told us to do through His Son and His Apostles and prophets, and seek Him and not gods of wood, metal, stone, etc., which are not gods, then He protects us from the devil. If bad things still happen in the Christian's life (which it can at times), it's not always from the devil, it's just part of the ways of this present world time, which in time will be corrected when Jesus returns, and God promised He would always leave a way out of the problem or danger (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Here's my take on the matter.

Satan was cast out of heaven in Revelation 12, and Jesus was a witness to it in Luke 10:18. So we already know that he no longer accuses us before the throne as he did in the days of Job. However, because we know he used to, we also know he's an external entity.

A devil however is literally one who seeks to destroy with lies. Satan falls into that category, and presumably also the angels who joined him in his rebellion (I believe these are the "demons" and "evil spirits" we read about in scripture), but people can also be devils.
    That's another Bible teaching by many that requires testing by God's written Word.

The Rev.12:7-17 Scripture has not happened yet. That is not about Satan's first rebellion when God cast him down to earth. I know that's how that is popularly taught, but a careful study of those Scripture events there reveals what I'm saying:

Rev 12:7-17
    7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

Easy to miss, but that casting out is Satan and his angels being cast out of the Heavenly dimension, down to this earth in plain sight, meaning in our... dimension. There are only 2 different dimensions of existence written of in God's Word, this earthly one we live in, and the heavenly one where God and the angels dwell, including where Satan's realm of hell is, across the great gulf fixed border in Paradise. As of right now, like someone here said, Satan is still able to move between the heavenly and the earth, walking to and fro seeking whom he may devour, and able to appear before God's Throne in Heaven to accuse us.

When this particular casting out happens, Satan will no longer be allowed to appear in Heaven before God's Throne to accuse us.

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, "Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night."

That is showing in Heaven, when Satan is cast down to the earth, right then the full peace and Salvation in Heaven by the power of Christ will manifest in Heaven. And note that is through the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, which means of course this event has to be post-crucifixion/resurrection of our Lord Jesus. By that we know this specific casting out was not the time of old when Satan first rebelled against God. This casting out event is for the future tribulation timing, which the next verses will reveal.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Those who overcame him by the Blood of The Lamb (Jesus) is yet another pointer to the time of this casting down. These that loved not their lives unto death are the saints like those on the 5th Seal, which is a sign Jesus gave for the very end of this world. The "short time" we are warned about with Satan coming down to the earth with great wrath against us, is about the time of "great tribulation" for the end. Jesus shortened that time for the sake of His elect, per Matthew 24.

13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

The symbolic 'woman' in the first part of the chapter was Israel. Still is here, except the last verse shows it's Christ's Church mainly, because the persecution will involve those who have the Testimony of Jesus Christ, and we know that is Christ's Church. This "time, and times, and half a time" is the time of "great tribulation" when Satan will come to play God in Jerusalem.

15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.

16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
    KJV

The symbolic flood out of the serpent's mouth represents lies that cause deception. It is symbolically compared to the flood of Noah's day. And his attack will specifically be upon Christ's Church on earth, as that last verse reveals.

Satan's one desire is to be like the most high to dwell where God dwells..

God dwells between the Cherubims..

Isaiah 37: 16 O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth.

Heaven didn't pan out it seems this is the best he could do..

Jude
    You never have to advertise a fire. Everyone comes running when there's a fire. Likewise, if your church is on fire, you will not have to advertise it. The community will already know it.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by DavePeace View Post
    That's another Bible teaching by many that requires testing by God's written Word.

The Rev.12:7-17 Scripture has not happened yet. That is not about Satan's first rebellion when God cast him down to earth. I know that's how that is popularly taught, but a careful study of those Scripture events there reveals what I'm saying:

Rev 12:7-17
    7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

[I]11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Depending on how you interpret Revelations Chapter 12, many believe the timing of this actually occurred at the very instance Christ was crucified. And that Christ won victory over Satan by the shedding of his blood on the cross.

Many understand Michael and his angels to be a type and figure, giving reference to Christ and the apostles. The woman as reference or figure to Zion or Jerusalem. The sun, moon, and 12 stars as reference to the (sun) covenant of Abraham, (moon) Sarah and the (12 stars) as the 12 tribes of Israel. The child that is to rule the world with a rod of iron as Christ. And the woman at the point of giving birth was the end of the old testament covenant and the birth of the new testament. The time referenced as a thousand two hundred and threescore days 3-1/2 years from the time Jesus was baptized until his Crucifixion. Many believe that this was when Satan was bound.

I also hold to this belief, as well as a Amillennial view of eschatology. I don't expect many to agree with this interpretation, but do want to present another view point regarding the chapter.

Thread Information