Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Archbishop urges Christians to "repent" over "wicked" attitude to homosexuality

Archbishop urges Christians to "repent" over "wicked" attitude to homosexuality

This guy talks out both sides of his mouth in this interview.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...sexuality.html

The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin as well...you can see it coming a mile away!
    Last edited by theeldersofgod; Sep 2nd 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post

The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin...you can see it coming a mile away!
    That isn't what the archbishop said. Speaking of those under 35, he said:

Quote Originally Posted by "Rev Justin Welby
    “And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.
    Elsewhere in the article we read (prior to the quotation above):

Asked later whether this meant that he regretted voting against gay marriage, he said he stood by his vote because he did not believe “rewriting the nature of marriage” was the best way to end discrimination against gay people.

He said: “The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God’s people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

“And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong.”
    And he's right: the church hasn't dealt with homosexuality as well as it could have. But this isn't anything like the admission found in your (sensationalist) title.

The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin...you can see it coming a mile away!
    That isn't what the archbishop said. Speaking of those under 35, he said:

Quote Originally Posted by "Rev Justin Welby
    “And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.
    Elsewhere in the article we read (prior to the quotation above):

Asked later whether this meant that he regretted voting against gay marriage, he said he stood by his vote because he did not believe “rewriting the nature of marriage” was the best way to end discrimination against gay people.

He said: “The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God’s people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

“And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong.”
    And he's right: the church hasn't dealt with homosexuality as well as it could have. But this isn't anything like the admission found in your (sensationalist) title.

Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

Uh... the "admission" in my title is the title of the article.

Uh... the "admission" in my title is the title of the article.
    And it's a sensationalist title.

Blog Entries

I can't disagree with him. Many Christian's on both extremes of the argument should probably repent of their wicked attitudes to homosexuality. Would you not agree? .

Beyond that, I think your conclusions are erroneous and, as Athanasius says, sensationalist.

I can't disagree with him. Many Christian's on both extremes of the argument should probably repent of their wicked attitudes to homosexuality. Would you not agree? .

Beyond that, I think your conclusions are erroneous and, as Athanasius says, sensationalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    And it's a sensationalist title.
    Most titles to stories tend to be.

Quote Originally Posted by A Seeker View Post

Explain "wicked"...what's my conclusion?It's no secret the Catholic faith is on the upswing of accepting gays.

It's no secret the Catholic faith is on the upswing of accepting gays.
    Which raises the question: why are you talking about Catholicism? The Archbishop in question is Anglican. Have you even read the article?

The topic was how the Christians should view homosexaulity.

I'm well aware of what the Archbishop is,bud.

The topic was accepting gays in the "church".
    Where does the archbishop say that?

I'm well a what the Archbishop is,bud.
    You made a mistake, and you didn't answer my question. Did you post the article only after seeing the headline and skimming the copy? The headline does not reflect what the archbishop stated; the article comes from an Anglican archbishop, not a Catholic one; you nevertheless repeat both the title and erroneously refer to Catholicism. The only 'breaking news' here is yet another example of someone quick to post an article without reading it.

Wait a second...you're that poster that was stirring a lot of mess up a few weeks ago.I had to make a agreement to a mod to play nice going forward....thought you were on block.

Here ,I'll change that right fast.

Now back to the topic.Explain what you mean a seeker by "wicked" attitude toward gays.

But he told the General Synod in July that the strength of feeling he encountered in support prompted him to reassess his own beliefs and urged them to face up to a "revolution" in attitudes on sexuality.
    He said: "The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God's people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

"And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong."
    "And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.

The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin as well...you can see it coming a mile away!

This archbishop isn't Catholic.

Wait a second...you're that poster that was stirring a lot of mess up a few weeks ago.I had to make a agreement to a mod to play nice going forward....thought you were on block.

Here ,I'll change that right fast.
    Was Athanasius "stirring a lot of mess a few weeks ago"?.......or did he state an argument/viewpoint you couldn't argue against??

Now back to the topic.Explain what you mean a seeker by "wicked" attitude toward gays.

But he told the General Synod in July that the strength of feeling he encountered in support prompted him to reassess his own beliefs and urged them to face up to a "revolution" in attitudes on sexuality.
    He said: "The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God's people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

"And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong."
    "And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.

Ok theeldersofgod
    Where in the linked news article dose this show that the Catholic Church is changeling it's views on homosexuality ?
    As others have said
    This archbishop isn't Catholic.
    So what is your point? The link is about the Anglican Church . I have no like for the RCC , but lets get our ducks in a row before we go shooting . So that when we do protest in the future ,our arguments will be on a rock solid foundation .
    Blessings
    Your brother in Christ
    Bill

Thread Information