Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: Archbishop urges Christians to "repent" over "wicked" attitude to homosexuality

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    443

    Archbishop urges Christians to "repent" over "wicked" attitude to homosexuality

    This guy talks out both sides of his mouth in this interview.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...sexuality.html

    The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin as well...you can see it coming a mile away!
    Last edited by theeldersofgod; Sep 2nd 2013 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #2

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    This guy talks out both sides of his mouth in this interview.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...sexuality.html

    The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin...you can see it coming a mile away!
    That isn't what the archbishop said. Speaking of those under 35, he said:

    Quote Originally Posted by "Rev Justin Welby
    “And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.
    Elsewhere in the article we read (prior to the quotation above):

    Asked later whether this meant that he regretted voting against gay marriage, he said he stood by his vote because he did not believe “rewriting the nature of marriage” was the best way to end discrimination against gay people.

    He said: “The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God’s people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

    “And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong.”
    And he's right: the church hasn't dealt with homosexuality as well as it could have. But this isn't anything like the admission found in your (sensationalist) title.

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    This guy talks out both sides of his mouth in this interview.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...sexuality.html

    The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin...you can see it coming a mile away!
    That isn't what the archbishop said. Speaking of those under 35, he said:

    Quote Originally Posted by "Rev Justin Welby
    “And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.
    Elsewhere in the article we read (prior to the quotation above):

    Asked later whether this meant that he regretted voting against gay marriage, he said he stood by his vote because he did not believe “rewriting the nature of marriage” was the best way to end discrimination against gay people.

    He said: “The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God’s people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

    “And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong.”
    And he's right: the church hasn't dealt with homosexuality as well as it could have. But this isn't anything like the admission found in your (sensationalist) title.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    443

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Uh... the "admission" in my title is the title of the article.

  4. #4

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    Uh... the "admission" in my title is the title of the article.
    And it's a sensationalist title.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere I no longer wish to be.
    Posts
    3,827
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    I can't disagree with him. Many Christian's on both extremes of the argument should probably repent of their wicked attitudes to homosexuality. Would you not agree? .

    Beyond that, I think your conclusions are erroneous and, as Athanasius says, sensationalist.

    I can't disagree with him. Many Christian's on both extremes of the argument should probably repent of their wicked attitudes to homosexuality. Would you not agree? .

    Beyond that, I think your conclusions are erroneous and, as Athanasius says, sensationalist.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    443

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    And it's a sensationalist title.
    Most titles to stories tend to be.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    443

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by A Seeker View Post
    I can't disagree with him. Many Christian's on both extremes of the argument should probably repent of their wicked attitudes to homosexuality. Would you not agree? .

    Beyond that, I think your conclusions are erroneous and, as Athanasius says, sensationalist.

    I can't disagree with him. Many Christian's on both extremes of the argument should probably repent of their wicked attitudes to homosexuality. Would you not agree? .

    Beyond that, I think your conclusions are erroneous and, as Athanasius says, sensationalist.
    Explain "wicked"...what's my conclusion?It's no secret the Catholic faith is on the upswing of accepting gays.

  8. #8

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    It's no secret the Catholic faith is on the upswing of accepting gays.
    Which raises the question: why are you talking about Catholicism? The Archbishop in question is Anglican. Have you even read the article?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    443

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    The topic was how the Christians should view homosexaulity.

    I'm well aware of what the Archbishop is,bud.

  10. #10

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    The topic was accepting gays in the "church".
    Where does the archbishop say that?

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    I'm well a what the Archbishop is,bud.
    You made a mistake, and you didn't answer my question. Did you post the article only after seeing the headline and skimming the copy? The headline does not reflect what the archbishop stated; the article comes from an Anglican archbishop, not a Catholic one; you nevertheless repeat both the title and erroneously refer to Catholicism. The only 'breaking news' here is yet another example of someone quick to post an article without reading it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    443

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Wait a second...you're that poster that was stirring a lot of mess up a few weeks ago.I had to make a agreement to a mod to play nice going forward....thought you were on block.

    Here ,I'll change that right fast.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville Tn
    Posts
    443

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Now back to the topic.Explain what you mean a seeker by "wicked" attitude toward gays.

    But he told the General Synod in July that the strength of feeling he encountered in support prompted him to reassess his own beliefs and urged them to face up to a "revolution" in attitudes on sexuality.
    He said: "The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God's people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

    "And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong."
    "And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.



    The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin as well...you can see it coming a mile away!

  13. #13

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin as well...you can see it coming a mile away!
    This archbishop isn't Catholic.

  14. #14

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    Wait a second...you're that poster that was stirring a lot of mess up a few weeks ago.I had to make a agreement to a mod to play nice going forward....thought you were on block.

    Here ,I'll change that right fast.
    Was Athanasius "stirring a lot of mess a few weeks ago"?.......or did he state an argument/viewpoint you couldn't argue against??

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Vally of the Sun, Arizona,
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: Archbishop urges Christians to ‘repent’ over ‘wicked’ attitude to homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldersofgod View Post
    Now back to the topic.Explain what you mean a seeker by "wicked" attitude toward gays.

    But he told the General Synod in July that the strength of feeling he encountered in support prompted him to reassess his own beliefs and urged them to face up to a "revolution" in attitudes on sexuality.
    He said: "The Bill was clearly, quite rightly, trying to deal with issues of homophobia in our society and ... the Church has not been good at dealing with homophobia ... in fact we have, at times, as God's people, in various places, really implicitly or even explicitly supported it.

    "And we have to be really, really repentant about that because it is utterly and totally wrong."
    "And we have seen changes in the idea about sexuality, sexual behaviour, which quite simply [mean that] we have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 think not only that what we are saying is incomprehensible but also think that we are plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.



    The Catholic church is well on it's way to changing it's views on homosexuality being a sin as well...you can see it coming a mile away!

    Ok theeldersofgod
    Where in the linked news article dose this show that the Catholic Church is changeling it's views on homosexuality ?
    As others have said
    This archbishop isn't Catholic.
    So what is your point? The link is about the Anglican Church . I have no like for the RCC , but lets get our ducks in a row before we go shooting . So that when we do protest in the future ,our arguments will be on a rock solid foundation .
    Blessings
    Your brother in Christ
    Bill

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Repent of the act or repent of the root?
    By Brother Mark in forum Growing in Christ
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug 3rd 2013, 02:56 PM
  2. Having urges
    By Equipped_4_Love in forum Women at the well
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Apr 18th 2010, 05:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •