Thread: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disguise

Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disguise

Not sure where to post this, but this seemed like the best spot. Enjoy

http://the-wopr.newsvine.com/_news/2...or-in-disguise

imagesizer?file=the-woprD1889840-8B29-8A63-D795-943867DEBB42.jpg

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning.

He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him.

He asked people for change to buy food – no one in the church gave him change.

He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit in the back.

He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such.

When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation.

“We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek.” The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation.

The homeless man sitting in the back stood up and started walking down the aisle. The clapping stopped with all eyes on him.

He walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment then he recited,

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

‘The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning. Many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame.

He then said, “Today I see a gathering of people, not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples. When will YOU decide to become disciples?”

He then dismissed service until next week.

Following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ should be more than just talk. It ought to be a lifestyle that others around you can love about you and share in.

Blog Entries

Re: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disg

I am not sure if the story is true or not. Perhaps it is but the photograph that often circulates with the story is definitely not Steepek. It is the picture of an actual homeless man taken by a well known photographer in London. However the message at the core of the story is one we should all hear.

Blessings
    2 Ti 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Re: Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disg

Might just be a stock photo, but I have no reason to not believe it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjmn View Post
    Might just be a stock photo, but I have no reason to not believe it
    Amen
    Even it was just a story that was used "parable" style it still gives a message we should all hear. I wasn't trying to downplay the message. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it but I know you weren't offended.

2 Ti 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

The story is made up. Neither the church nor the pastor exist and the picture is of an actual homeless man.

It's time for the church to stop playing dress up, or pretending to play dress up, and be about our Father's business. When we do it unto the least, we are doing it unto Jesus.
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Don't homeless people have their own churches....you know the ones with the piles of clothes and old food on the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    Don't homeless people have their own churches....you know the ones with the piles of clothes and old food on the floor?
    Is this a joke?
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Blog Entries

*NOTE*

Just a healthy reminder this is a non debate forum with the explicit purpose of edification and growth. Please restrict any other motive to the numerous other forums we have to express opposing views. This is just a "nip it in the bud" notification from the distant early warning radar system.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdsword View Post
    *NOTE*

Just a healthy reminder this is a non debate forum with the explicit purpose of edification and growth. Please restrict any other motive to the numerous other forums we have to express opposing views. This is just a "nip it in the bud" notification from the distant early warning radar system.
    Speaking of warning systems... it was 32 here in AZ this morning...... brrrr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    Speaking of warning systems... it was 32 here in AZ this morning...... brrrr
    32?!

brrrrr

I think we had a cold front here this AM...the temp went down to 68

Blog Entries

It was 23 her this morning! Tomorrow...rain turning to snow. 3-5 inches in the mountains, 1 1/2 -2 here in the Tennessee Valley and then Wednesday night 23 again and Thanksgiving Day...19 that night! Winter is hitting early.

I hope all the homeless here go the some of the shelters or the Salvation Army, all in downtown Knoxville! And I know area churches are there handing out hot food and blankets, etc. I heard on our news the other night that some smaller counties try to get them to Knoxville, because they have nowhere to offer shelter in smaller counties. Knoxville Officials said they don't mind, as long as they get to stay warm.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Blog Entries

"Today I see a gathering of people, not a church of Jesus Christ."

Wow, real or not this is a convicting story. And what if it wasn't an undercover thing?? I actually wrote a poem about these kind of experiences.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...The-Unorthodox
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

If the story is true or not, IMO there is nothing stopping churches reaching out and helping the homeless if they want. Of course lead by the church leaders and the pastor. The exmaple should come from the top and those in the church follow ... If that is what God is calling them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    The story is made up. Neither the church nor the pastor exist and the picture is of an actual homeless man.

It's time for the church to stop playing dress up, or pretending to play dress up, and be about our Father's business. When we do it unto the least, we are doing it unto Jesus.
    I don't think I am alone in my loathing of make-believe. My pastor once told a "parable" likening Christians unto eagles....he said that when one eagle is sick or injured, other eagles will care for it and bring it food until it is well again and that as Christians, we should do likewise. Having something of a background in environmental science, I told him the truth about eagles...that when one becomes sick or injured and does not recover quickly, it dies by it's injury or the starvation that would accompany convalescence.
    Another time, on Christmas Eve, we were told of a boy named Kenny who was electrocuted earlier on a fence while sacrificially trying to bring the gifts he'd received to his poor friend....as I was preparing to visit "Kenny" in the hospital (highly concerned and moved by his kindness towards his friend) and asking others if they'd like to go....I learned that the story was made up. I don't care what the intention...be the story a lie, than the teller a liar.
    Psalm 19:14
    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_no_one View Post
    I don't think I am alone in my loathing of make-believe. My pastor once told a "parable" likening Christians unto eagles....he said that when one eagle is sick or injured, other eagles will care for it and bring it food until it is well again and that as Christians, we should do likewise. Having something of a background in environmental science, I told him the truth about eagles...that when one becomes sick or injured and does not recover quickly, it dies by it's injury or the starvation that would accompany convalescence.
    Another time, on Christmas Eve, we were told of a boy named Kenny who was electrocuted earlier on a fence while sacrificially trying to bring the gifts he'd received to his poor friend....as I was preparing to visit "Kenny" in the hospital (highly concerned and moved by his kindness towards his friend) and asking others if they'd like to go....I learned that the story was made up. I don't care what the intention...be the story a lie, than the teller a liar.
    It is because of this kind of result that I try hard to ensure any story that I pass out during sermons are valid. Many people dislike being told things that are not true and being suckered in with them.

If a story is to be a parable, it needs to be announced in the beginning as one.
    Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
    George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Thread Information