Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does walking in the Spirit involve using our two feet?

Does walking in the Spirit involve using our two feet?

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

"Walk" to walk. To tread or walk about, generally to walk, to travel throughout, to deport, or transport.

Col 2:4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
    Col 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

Did the Apostle Paul sneak out and peak in the window where these people were gathered, and then write what he did? Or was he walking in the Spirit and saw these things?

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
    Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

How do we come to the throne of grace? Can our two feet get us there? or is walking the the Spirit the only way.

Blog Entries

Re: Does walking in the Spirit involve using our two feet?

We simply cannot 'walk in the spirit' with one foot in the world! If we do that, this is what happens: (Written to 'the church'.)
    Revelations 3:16
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

There is no 'middle of the road', because we simply cannot go in two directions at the same time. We're either headed UP the road or we're headed DOWN the road. God knows if we are trying to walk the RIGHT way or the WRONG way. We can only deceive our own selves. We can't deceive the Lord.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    We simply cannot 'walk in the spirit' with one foot in the world! If we do that, this is what happens: (Written to 'the church'.)
    Revelations 3:16
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

There is no 'middle of the road', because we simply cannot go in two directions at the same time. We're either headed UP the road or we're headed DOWN the road. God knows if we are trying to walk the RIGHT way or the WRONG way. We can only deceive our own selves. We can't deceive the Lord.
    So, you agree that "walking in the Spirit" has nothing to do with using our feet or physical body? Yet, walking involves transporting, or deporting yourself by another means that is of the Spirit. How does God travel?

Blog Entries

How can one 'walk in the spirit' if their feet are walking into fornication or an adulterous affair? How can one 'walk in the spirit' if their feet take them to a computer where ungodly things are before our eyes? How can one 'walk in the spirit' if they are 'walking' in things they ought not to do?

Walking, according to sound doctrine, is not merely 'walking' using two feet. It is living a life worthy of saying, "I am a follower of Christ, a Christian." We cannot use this verse in the context of simply walking about on two legs. Sometimes this Christian 'walk' involves our hands, our eyes, our mouth, even our motives and the intentions of our heart.

We cannot 'walk with the Lord' if we are living in deliberate sin. If we walk that way, we are not fooling Almighty God. We only fool our own self.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    How can one 'walk in the spirit' if their feet are walking into fornication or an adulterous affair? How can one 'walk in the spirit' if their feet take them to a computer where ungodly things are before our eyes? How can one 'walk in the spirit' if they are 'walking' in things they ought not to do?

Walking, according to sound doctrine, is not merely 'walking' using two feet. It is living a life worthy of saying, "I am a follower of Christ, a Christian." We cannot use this verse in the context of simply walking about on two legs. Sometimes this Christian 'walk' involves our hands, our eyes, our mouth, even our motives and the intentions of our heart.

We cannot 'walk with the Lord' if we are living in deliberate sin. If we walk that way, we are not fooling Almighty God. We only fool our own self.
    I agree with your view here.

Before we can partake of God's divine nature do we not first have to escape by flight (transport, deport) our self's into his presence by using the promises he has given to us?

2Pe 1:4 By means of these He has bestowed on us His precious and exceedingly great promises, so that through them you may escape [by flight] from the moral decay (rottenness and corruption) that is in the world because of covetousness (lust and greed), and become sharers (partakers) of the divine nature. (AMP)

Blog Entries

Proverbs 8:20 - "I walk in the way of righteousness, in the paths of justice"

Sometimes the answers are simple and obvious.

What is the OP trying to address? Who thinks that walking in the Spirit is a dance or something we do with our feet?

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Proverbs 8:20 - "I walk in the way of righteousness, in the paths of justice"

Sometimes the answers are simple and obvious.
    Isaiah 35: 8-10
    And a highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called the way of holiness: the unclean shall not pass over it, but it shall be for those the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.
    No lion shall be there, nor any ravnous beast shall go up therein, it shall not be found there:
    but the redeemed shall walk there:
    and the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with songs, and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Where is this place? Is it anywhere here on earth? How do we get to this place? Who is the way?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Isaiah 35: 8-10
    And a highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called the way of holiness: the unclean shall not pass over it, but it shall be for those the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.
    No lion shall be there, nor any ravnous beast shall go up therein, it shall not be found there:
    but the redeemed shall walk there:
    and the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with songs, and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Where is this place? Is it anywhere here on earth? How do we get to this place? Who is the way?
    Proverbs 1 and 2 probably cover your question? For the last question, of course the Word of God needs to lead us to the "who," or it will remain just a book.

You need both feet to do the hokey pokey. Walking in the Spirit is something different.

You put your right foot in
    You take your right foot out
    And you shake it all about
    You do the hokey pokey
    And you turn yourself around
    That's what it's all about

You put your left foot in
    You take your left foot out
    You do the hokey pokey

The better question is "Does walking in the Spirit involve the imagination?"

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    You need both feet to do the hokey pokey. Walking in the Spirit is something different.

You take your right foot out
    You do the hokey pokey

You take your left foot out
    You do the hokey pokey

Walking in the Spirit can cause one to break out in dance. We follow his lead, follow him wherever he goes on the dance floor.
    Those triple toes are a challenge.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Blog Entries

I don't know, but "feet" are pretty busy in the Bible.

Genesis 49:10 - The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet,

Genesis 49:33 - And when Jacob had made and end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed.....

Exodus 3:5 - And he said, "Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing his holy ground."

Exodus 4:25 - Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it......

1 Samuel 2:9 - He will guard the feet of his faithful ones......

Apparently there is no walk of any kind without feet:
    2 Samuel 4:12 - And David commanded his young men, and they killed them and cut off their hands and feet....

And apparently feet are important to walking in righteousness:

Job 12:5 - In the thought of one who is at east there is contempt for misfortune; it is ready for those whose feet slip.

Or not walking in righteousness:

Job 18:8 - For he is cast into a net by his own feet, and we walks on its mesh.

Or for mercy -

Job 29:15 - I was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame.

Or for steadfastness in faith -

Psalm 17:5 - My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.

Or for praising God -

Psalm 18:33 - He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.
    Psalm 18:36 - You gave me a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip

Or for rescue -

Psalm 25:15 - My eyes are ever toward the LORD, for he will pluck my feet out of the net.
    Psalm 40:2 - He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
    Psalm 56:13 - For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.

And feet can definitely choose the wrong path -

Proverbs 1:16 - for their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed blood

Or they can be instructive -

Proverbs 4:26 - Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. 27 Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your food away from evil.

Or abandoning -

Proverbs 7:11 - She is loud and wayward; her feet do not stay at home....

Or they could simply take out the trash -

Act 5:9 - But Peter said to her, "How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out."

Of course there are hundreds of more references to "feet" in the Bible, and it might be wise to ponder them before we take our next step.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I don't know, but "feet" are pretty busy in the Bible.

Genesis 49:10 - The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the rulerís staff from between his feet,

Genesis 49:33 - And when Jacob had made and end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed.....

Exodus 3:5 - And he said, "Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing his holy ground."

Exodus 4:25 - Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it......

1 Samuel 2:9 - He will guard the feet of his faithful ones......

Apparently there is no walk of any kind without feet:
    2 Samuel 4:12 - And David commanded his young men, and they killed them and cut off their hands and feet....

And apparently feet are important to walking in righteousness:

Job 12:5 - In the thought of one who is at east there is contempt for misfortune; it is ready for those whose feet slip.

Or not walking in righteousness:

Job 18:8 - For he is cast into a net by his own feet, and we walks on its mesh.

Or for mercy -

Job 29:15 - I was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame.

Or for steadfastness in faith -

Psalm 17:5 - My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.

Or for praising God -

Psalm 18:33 - He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.
    Psalm 18:36 - You gave me a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip

Or for rescue -

Psalm 25:15 - My eyes are ever toward the LORD, for he will pluck my feet out of the net.
    Psalm 40:2 - He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
    Psalm 56:13 - For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.

And feet can definitely choose the wrong path -

Proverbs 1:16 - for their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed blood

Or they can be instructive -

Proverbs 4:26 - Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. 27 Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your food away from evil.

Or abandoning -

Proverbs 7:11 - She is loud and wayward; her feet do not stay at home....

Or they could simply take out the trash -

Act 5:9 - But Peter said to her, "How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out."

Of course there are hundreds of more references to "feet" in the Bible, and it might be wise to ponder them before we take our next step.
    But, can your feet bring you to the throne of grace? If scripture says come, then how are you going to get there? It will not be your physical feet. How are you going to be partakers of God's divine nature unless come to where he is?

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    The better question is "Does walking in the Spirit involve the imagination?"
    Are you trying to say walking in the flesh is walking in the Spirit?

Thread Information