Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using RSS Feeds

I took an XML over the spring last year and we learned all about RSS. That coupled with my newfound knowledge of PHP allows me to write my own parsers. I've actually built a few of them, as well as converting php generated code into RSS 2.0 feeds. They're so handy!
    Whilst sun and moon endure, America shall remain a city of refuge for the whole earth, until she herself shall play the tyrant, forget her destiny, disgrace her freedom, and provoke her God!
    ~George Duffield (Patriot Preacher)

Interesting, you have an XML course down in your past High-School? Seems that all High-Schools in my area only have "Computer Applications" and "Advanced typing" class when it comes to computers.

On a sidenote, this RSS feature looks pretty sweet.
    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    -C.S. Lewis

Got a question about how something works? Check out the FAQ.

Not exactly. Our highschool allows us to take PSEO (Post Secondary Options). Basically it means I can take college classes at a local college of my choosing and have those credits count as both highschool credit and as college credit. I took XML, Perl, and PHP my last semester of my highschool year. I learned a lot about php and XML so I was able to design my own parser.

My highschool only had basic web design which is what got my started.. but it was the college that really pushed me over the edge.
    Whilst sun and moon endure, America shall remain a city of refuge for the whole earth, until she herself shall play the tyrant, forget her destiny, disgrace her freedom, and provoke her God!

That's interesting. Did you get 'elective' credits in High School for doing this? I've taken Biology and Calc down in college when I was in High School, and got credit for both, but I don't think that the school would have given me any elective credit for taking web-design classes.

On a sidenote, you've made a wise step, imo. With AJAX gaining popularity, it's capabilities are pretty scary. Knowing XML will help you a lot in developing AJAX [and integrating a variety of other] applications. Are you majoring in Web Development?
    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    -C.S. Lewis

Got a question about how something works? Check out the FAQ.

Yea I got elective credits for Highschool. I really didn't need many classes my senior year, I just needed to have enough credits.

I want to major in web development, but right now I'm going to a christian college that only offers Computer Science or Graphic Design. neither of which offer any web design courses that would help me prepare for a future career in it. I'm thinking of majoring here in Youth Ministry or Education (I've thought about teaching web design in a Tech College) and taking some web classes at a tech college locally and then after school finishing off a degree at a tech college. Currently though I'm a graphic design major.. just getting by with learning about illustrator and photoshop.. though I really have no desire to do that aspect of web design.

Quote Originally Posted by FPG
    I took an XML over the spring last year and we learned all about RSS. That coupled with my newfound knowledge of PHP allows me to write my own parsers. I've actually built a few of them, as well as converting php generated code into RSS 2.0 feeds. They're so handy!
    Would be interested to see what you have done.
    Time's up

Thread Information