Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knowledge of good and evil

knowledge of good and evil

The tree of knowledge of good and evil. I would be interested in your opinions of what it was. I always thought it was a fun discussion.

Blog Entries

Re: knowledge of good and evil

It was a literal tree with literal fruit. Of what kind, we do not know.

There was nothing evil about the tree or supernatural. It was just a tree that God had forbidden them to eat from.

Before Adam and Eve ate from that tree all they had knowledge of was good. Evil was not in their conscience or vocabulary. After they ate, and the concept of disobedience was fully understood or "known", then their eyes were opened to what sin and evil was because they saw that it was IN them. That's why they tried to hide.

I know that some people have to far out views on what the tree was, but I can only express my own views.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    It was a literal tree with literal fruit. Of what kind, we do not know.

There was nothing evil about the tree or supernatural. It was just a tree that God had forbidden them to eat from.

Before Adam and Eve ate from that tree all they had knowledge of was good. Evil was not in their conscience or vocabulary. After they ate, and the concept of disobedience was fully understood or "known", then their eyes were opened to what sin and evil was because they saw that it was IN them. That's why they tried to hide.

I know that some people have to far out views on what the tree was, but I can only express my own views.
    you would think they would have been aware of "good" before they ate of the tree. everything the Lord created was "good" adam and eve were part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    The tree of knowledge of good and evil. I would be interested in your opinions of what it was. I always thought it was a fun discussion.
    Well, in one sense, after a similitude we could reason maybe, it does sometimes miror the law in a sense

For by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death

For in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

However, his commandment to them in respects to that tree was life, meaning pretty much dont go there (the end thereof is death)

Not sure how you want to go into this, and Im not sure its a good idea to anyway LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    It was a plant that have had enhanced their perception, to focus more on material things.

Yeah, its just a really bad plant lol

Whats interesting also concerning what it is that she believed about this tree (whatever it is understood to be in its shadow) to be that (by which) she could become wise (even as she desired to be). When speaking of Eve being beguiled in this way, Paul speaks to all of them (as the Church) and them being presented to Christ (as to one husband) as a chaste virgin as it might relate to this very thing. He feared in the same way Eve was beguiled so likewise would their minds be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. The appeal seems to pertain to the mind (as does Pauls fear, in their minds being corrupted) . In Eve it shows the desire to be wise in relation to the same and else where it speaks of lusts of the mind.

Some might key in on the "she saw" part (as the sons of God) "saw" as it pertains to these no no's (when it come to various desires seen back there). Sure, you can run with it that as well as the lusts of eyes, just seems to show sin was in the word before the law (in the figure) if thats what it is. The wording is amazingly similar to all things surrounding the same.

But it does speak of the lusts of the mind, and Christ is made our wisdom, so in another sense I get that we should keep that in focus rather.

Theres alot of cool things in this I believe, this part of scripture is like where all those creative juices start flowing
    Last edited by Kirjathsepher; Dec 18th 2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: missed a word

Quote Originally Posted by Kirjathsepher View Post
    Whats interesting also concerning what it is that she believed about this tree (whatever it is understood to be in its shadow) to be that (by which) she could become wise (even as she desired to be). When speaking of Eve being beguiled in this way, Paul speaks to all of them (as the Church) and them being presented to Christ (as to one husband) as a chaste virgin as it might relate to this very thing. He feared in the same way Eve was beguiled so likewise would their minds be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. The appeal seems to pertain to the mind (as does Pauls fear, in their minds being corrupted) . In Eve it shows the to be wise and else where it speaks of lusts of the mind.

Some might key in on the "she saw" part (as the sons of God) "saw" as it pertains to these no no's (when it come to various desires seen back there). Sure, you can run with it that as well as the lusts of eyes, just seems to show sin was in the word before the law (in the figure) if thats what it is. The wording is amazingly similar to all things surrounding the same.

But it does speak of the lusts of the mind, and Christ is made our wisdom, so in another sense I get that we should keep that in focus rather.

Theres alot of cool things in this I believe, this part of scripture is like where all those creative juices start flowing
    I'm guessing after they had ate from the tree, it triggered the pituitary gland, pineal, thyroid, thymus, parathyroids, adrenals, pancreas and gonads; and which before, they were in dormant.

Sounds like good doctrine to me, I say go for it

If the law having shadow of the good things to come and not the very image of things shows a picture of the law, (in the tree of knowledge of good and evil) it might represent it in some way as Abrahams two women represent two covenants, but here we have two trees. But as Paul seems to point out through his use of words surrounding the law, The good that one might will (in knowing so much) doesnt always seem to equal the strength in you to perform it as Paul seemed to indicate. Paul speaks of the knowledge of sin coming through the law even though the law is good and holy (but made him feel like a wretch) all things being laid naked before him (with whom we have to do). And so the good that he would, that he did not but the evil he would not that he did (wretched man that I am). Which might make sense in another way as the serpent said, ye shall be like God in knowing the same, but that didnt necessarily mean the power to perform (where the strength of sin in you would be found). Well, if we would look at it that way perhaps. Wouldnt it validate becoming like Him in that same sense, when he says, And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: (snip)

Where this here...

Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but"" how to perform """ that which is good """I find not .

Sorta ressembles either that or an experience of evil.

after they ate they realized they were naked and covered themselves. suddenly "aware" of their lost innocence or ignorance. perhaps the tree could be self awareness, compared to todays world, there are many out there that are completely absorbed in their own lives which can be complete bliss until u are made aware of all the pain and suffering that go on in todays world every day. then its not as blissful.
    remember how great everything was when you were a child, then one day you realize you are an adult, and life is not the adventure it once was.

In Revelation it speaks of the shame of ones nakedness appearing, it would see the same here, as they were naked before without shame, they only became aware of what they were with shame attached to it.

Genesis 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

After they ate, it says,

Gen 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and *they knew* that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Heb 4:13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight:but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Gen 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

Gen 3:10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

If it would be the law, by the law comes the "knowledge of sin" or that sin, that it might appear sin

Whereas Job says,

Job 33:33 If I covered my transgressions as Adam, by hiding mine iniquity in my bosom:

But John says,

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Theres some similarities in these

Blog Entries

The tree and it's bad fruit are symbolic. The reason for this is the same reason parables were spoken to the masses without being explained.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

I think he thought it would be a fun discusion, however you can pretty much see it coming that it wont be lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirjathsepher View Post
    I think he thought it would be a fun discusion, however you can pretty much see it coming that it wont be lol
    The only fun could possibly be talking about what the tree and fruit can't be....love the one about changing one of their perception glands or whatever lol...good stuff!
    The actual truth is not so wonderful
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Thread Information