Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 7 year tribulation

7 year tribulation

Some viewpoints say the great tribulation will be 7 years long. Is there any scriptural support for this. I know people who adhere to those viewpoints point toward Daniel 9 which is very vague to say the least. Are there any other scriptures that point toward the tribulation being 7 years long?

Blog Entries

Re: 7 year tribulation

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    Some viewpoints say the great tribulation will be 7 years long. Is there any scriptural support for this. I know people who adhere to those viewpoints point toward Daniel 9 which is very vague to say the least. Are there any other scriptures that point toward the tribulation being 7 years long?
    There are no scriptures which point to a 7 year tribulation. There is as you mentioned 7 years in Dan 9, but it seems it is ONLY from the mid-point that the daily sacrifice is taken away signifying the Abomination being set up.
    There is of course the Trumpets, if you add the 6th and 7th trumpet together you get about a week, and the 6th trumpet includes 200 million soldiers fighting and killing:
    Rev 9:16 The number of mounted troops was twice ten thousand times ten thousand; I heard their number.
    Rev 9:17 And this is how I saw the horses in my vision and those who rode them: they wore breastplates the colour of fire and of sapphire and of sulphur, and the heads of the horses were like lions' heads, and fire and smoke and sulfur came out of their mouths.
    Rev 9:18 By these three plagues a third of mankind was killed, by the fire and smoke and sulphur coming out of their mouths.

This definitely seems like a terrible time.
    And at the same time you also have this:
    Rev 11:3 And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth."
    Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees and the two lamp stands that stand before the Lord of the earth.
    Rev 11:5 And if anyone would harm them, fire pours from their mouth and consumes their foes. If anyone would harm them, this is how he is doomed to be killed.
    Rev 11:6 They have the power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague, as often as they desire.
    So there are plagues too. So definitely tribulation.

However the Great Tribulation is when the beast launches war against first the woman and then Believers. What makes this Great is two-fold:
    1) the beast will conquer the Believers
    2) God's wrath will also be being out poured against those who receive the Mark of the Beast.

So an all round even worse time than the 3.5 years beforehand, which will have the great harvest (and will be seen as good years - especially in comparison).

I think it is a seven year great Tribulation because the word Great means long. I don’t think 3 would not be considered long. There is only one verse in the bible, that I know of, that tells how long a tribulation will be, 10 days—ten years. (?)

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

I think those Christians in the Mid-east, that are getting their heads cut off for saying they are Christian, might think the great tribulation has already started

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T W Taylor View Post
    I think it is a seven year great Tribulation because the word Great means long. I don’t think 3 would not be considered long. There is only one verse in the bible, that I know of, that tells how long a tribulation will be, 10 days—ten years. (?)

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

I think those Christians in the Mid-east, that are getting their heads cut off for saying they are Christian, might think the great tribulation has already started
    Those in the Middle east are undergoing tribulation. This has been happening for the last two thousand years, but in the West it has been largely forgotten.
    Rev 2:10 has already passed more than 1,900 years ago.
    Is 7 much longer than 3.5?
    Actually we do have other scripture which is a shadow followed by what Jesus says:
    Gen 41:25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, "The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do.
    Gen 41:26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good ears are seven years; the dreams are one.
    Gen 41:27 The seven lean and ugly cows that came up after them are seven years, and the seven empty ears blighted by the east wind are also seven years of famine.
    Gen 41:28 It is as I told Pharaoh; God has shown to Pharaoh what he is about to do.
    Gen 41:29 There will come seven years of great plenty throughout all the land of Egypt,
    Gen 41:30 but after them there will arise seven years of famine, and all the plenty will be forgotten in the land of Egypt. The famine will consume the land,
    Gen 41:31 and the plenty will be unknown in the land by reason of the famine that will follow, for it will be very severe.

Here are 7 years of good followed by 7 years which are severe. This is a shadow of what is to come, just as later the plagues in Exodus are a shadow of the plagues during this time.
    However Jesus said:
    Mat 24:21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
    Mat 24:22 And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

So the word Great doesn't mean long, but severe or strong, and that it is cut short because otherwise none would survive.

I only said that there was only one place in the bible that said how long a tribulation would be, 10 days, or maybe years

I said I thought it would be 7, but it is not clear.

My old Bible program had a Strong’s that worked, it said great meant big, long and other things.

Strong’s don’t work on This new program , I suppose they might want more money, or I’m not smart enough to make it work, that might be it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T W Taylor View Post
    I only said that there was only one place in the bible that said how long a tribulation would be, 10 days, or maybe years

I said I thought it would be 7, but it is not clear.

My old Bible program had a Strong’s that worked, it said great meant big, long and other things.

Strong’s don’t work on This new program , I suppose they might want more money, or I’m not smart enough to make it work, that might be it.
    Great can indeed mean long, but as you note also other things, but as Jesus said it would be great AND shortened, we can't understand it to mean long.

I use e-sword, which I downloaded for free. www.e-sword.net
    They have options for Interlinear as well as Strongs and other tools.

Any way I was just responding to your thoughts, not criticism at all.

Blog Entries

No none people just add 2-3/1/2 years together which I don't buy

Great can indeed mean long, but as you note also other things, but as Jesus said it would be great AND shortened, we can't understand it to mean long.
    Thank you ForHisGlory,

Something else to think about concerning the time cut short.

Matthew 24:3 Christ was ask about His return. In verse 15 we are sent to Daniel. Chapter 12 is talking about the end times

Dan 12:11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.
    Dan 12:12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

This word translated days also means years. That would make a 45 year difference, I don’t know anywhere 45 is used, but 49 is, it is used in the counting of time. It is possible that there was to be 49 years, (a jubilee ), and cut short to 45 years. I think we will see soon. Just a thought on the time cut short.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    Daniel 9 is not vague at all. It's just that people don't read the whole chapter.

The covenant itself is 7 years. But the 7 covenant is not the same as the tribulation. The covenant is the Mosaic covenant/ Mt Sinai covenant read every 7 years at Yom Kippur / Day of Atonement.

Dan9
    In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, by descent a Mede, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— 2 in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years that, according to the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet, must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years.

3 Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting and sackcloth and ashes. 4 I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, saying, “O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, 5 we have sinned and done wrong and acted wickedly and rebelled, turning aside from your commandments and rules. 6 We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land. 7 To you, O Lord, belongs righteousness, but to us open shame, as at this day, to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to all Israel, those who are near and those who are far away, in all the lands to which you have driven them, because of the treachery that they have committed against you. 8 To us, O Lord, belongs open shame, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against you.

9 To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, for we have rebelled against him 10 and have not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God by walking in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets.

11 All Israel has transgressed your law and turned aside, refusing to obey your voice. And the curse and oath that are written in the Law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out upon us, because we have sinned against him. 12 He has confirmed his words, which he spoke against us and against our rulers who ruled us,[a] by bringing upon us a great calamity. For under the whole heaven there has not been done anything like what has been done against Jerusalem.

13 As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this calamity has come upon us; yet we have not entreated the favor of the Lord our God, turning from our iniquities and gaining insight by your truth. 14 Therefore the Lord has kept ready the calamity and has brought it upon us, for the Lord our God is righteous in all the works that he has done, and we have not obeyed his voice. 15 And now, O Lord our God, who brought your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and have made a name for yourself, as at this day, we have sinned, we have done wickedly.
    Read Deut 28-32 for more info on this. This is the 'blessings and the curses"/ bowls of wrath in Revelation. The "Law of Moses" is the Mosaic covenant in Deut 28-32. Aka the "song of Moses" (Deut 31 & 32) that is being referred to in Revelation 15

Then I saw another sign in heaven, great and amazing, seven angels with seven plagues, which are the last, for with them the wrath of God is finished.

2 And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mingled with fire—and also those who had conquered the beast and its image and the number of its name, standing beside the sea of glass with harps of God in their hands. 3 And they sing the song of Moses, the servant[a] of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying,

“Great and amazing are your deeds,
    O Lord God the Almighty!
    Just and true are your ways,
    O King of the nations![b]
    Who will not fear, O Lord,
    and glorify your name?
    For you alone are holy.
    All nations will come
    and worship you,
    for your righteous acts have been revealed.”
    When Rev 9's 5th trumpet is said to last for "5 months", where do we find any reference at all anywhere to this strange timeframe?

Dan 9
    And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
    The only place I have found that makes any sense is the understanding that "weeks" in verse 27 is "shabua" in the meaning of the Feast of Weeks, the 7 weeks between Passover and Pentecost (7 weeks , 49 days, then 50th day). The "middle of the week" would be the 24th day of the Feast of weeks/ counting the omer which is the 9th/ 10th of Iyyar + 5 months takes us to Yom Kippur (day of atonement/ Tishrie 10) when the covenant is read. Not sure what it means really

1. Should we not consider the 1,260 days, "time, times and half a time" and "the middle of the week"?
    2. Also "Great" does not qualify the length of the Tribulation. It qualifies the intensity.
    3. Also, the Great Tribulation is God's wrath, the 10 days tribulation is men's wrath - a huge difference

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blur1 View Post
    Daniel 9 is not vague at all. It's just that people don't read the whole chapter.

The covenant itself is 7 years. But the 7 covenant is not the same as the tribulation. The covenant is the Mosaic covenant/ Mt Sinai covenant read every 7 years at Yom Kippur / Day of Atonement.
    Not read at Yom Kippur but for the final feast of Booths:
    Deu 31:10 And Moses commanded them, "At the end of every seven years, at the set time in the year of release, at the Feast of Booths,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    1. Should we not consider the 1,260 days, "time, times and half a time" and "the middle of the week"?
    2. Also "Great" does not qualify the length of the Tribulation. It qualifies the intensity.
    3. Also, the Great Tribulation is God's wrath, the 10 days tribulation is men's wrath - a huge difference
    The Great Tribulation is not ONLY God's wrath, but also Satan's.
    Have you ever considered what the purpose of the Great Tribulation is? It isn't simply to spend 3 1/2 years pouring out His wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    The Great Tribulation is not ONLY God's wrath, but also Satan's.
    Have you ever considered what the purpose of the Great Tribulation is? It isn't simply to spend 3 1/2 years pouring out His wrath.
    It is GREAT because it happens during the Day of the Lord (Son of God). All things and events during that Day is tagged with GREAT.

Of course, both quality and intensity of all things and events are more than, say, during the Day of the Christ.

GREAT does not measure time because eternity sets in during the Day of the Lord.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious View Post
    It is GREAT because it happens during the Day of the Lord (Son of God). All things and events during that Day is tagged with GREAT.

Of course, both quality and intensity of all things and events are more than, say, during the Day of the Christ.

GREAT does not measure time because eternity sets in during the Day of the Lord.
    Interesting claims, so you make the period of the Great Tribulation last 24 hours?
    I take it you are postmil, as you don't have a Millennium occurring after the Day of the Lord - many premil think the Day of the Lord lasts 10000 years, but that isn't eternity. Though we can argue that when we are saved, we enter eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Interesting claims, so you make the period of the Great Tribulation last 24 hours?
    I take it you are postmil, as you don't have a Millennium occurring after the Day of the Lord - many premil think the Day of the Lord lasts 10000 years, but that isn't eternity. Though we can argue that when we are saved, we enter eternity.
    I don't make the period of Great Tribulation to be 24 hours. The Day of the Lord is not a 24 hours period of time. Rather, it is the generation (era) that manifests the Name, Power, Knowledge and the very Being of the Son of God. It is the generation (era) of eternity.

FHG, don't put any premil, postmil, amil or no mil label on me. If you are careful to notice, I don't contribute to posts or topics that discuss those things.

There is the great/eternal salvation by the Lord. That salvation is by His mercy obtained from the effectual working of His Power. This salvation bases upon oath as does everything relating to the Son.

There is also the salvation of Christ given to His children/servants by the grace.

Generally speaking, salvation is the help, preservation and establishment of covenant given to saints by the Power of the Lord and Christ.

Thread Information