Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Olivet Discourse

The Olivet Discourse

Separate the 3 versions of the "Olivet Discourse" in Matt, Mark & Luke and examine the Jerusalem prophesies in each passage. The Jerusalem prophecies are in the following passages......Matt 25:15-39, Mark 13:14-37, Luke 21:20-38

Here you will find some hidden wisdom.....

They are NOT the same prophecies concerning Jerusalem. This is the same way the prophets hid the details of their prophecies between each other. Look closely at the details. Matthew and Mark both describe the end times desecration in the Temple over the Abomination of Desolation spoken of by Daniel at the end times. No abomination of desolation was ever set up in 70 AD, the city was simply conquered, completely raised and left barren.

Here is the passage that mentions the fall of Jerusalem in Matthew and Mark, notice they are virtually Word for Word :

Matthew 24:15-16 AND Mark 13:14
    “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains."

Also in both Matt and Mark, the abomination and fall of Jerusalem is tied directly to details of a great destruction and tribulation across the whole earth, worse than any other time in all of history, and the 2nd coming of Christ.

Now examine the Luke passages.

Luke 21:20
    “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near."

No "abomination of desolation" sitting in the Temple as spoken of by Daniel, and no descriptions of a world wide tribulation connected to the fall of Jerusalem, no second coming of Christ yet. They are clearly kept separate from the fall of the city and take place at some point afterwards.

Look at Luke 21:24
    They will fall by the edge of the sword and be taken as captives to all the Gentiles; and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

No End of the world yet, just a long desolation of Israel that lasted for almost 2000 years. No abomination of desolation, no connecting to the great tribulation of the whole world, but instead a prophecy of a long desolation period of Jerusalem and the Jews. Notice this verse is not included in the Matthew and Mark chapters. Also notice the "END TIMES" signs don't begin until AFTER Luke 21:24. AFTER the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled.

Re: The Olivet Discourse

I see all 3 commentating what Jesus said the last time he left the temple.

All 3 address Jesus answers to their questions.

All 3 start and end the same way.....being the destruction of the temple in 70Ad and the glorious second coming in the future....and all Jesus said in between.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    I see all 3 commentating what Jesus said the last time he left the temple.

All 3 address Jesus answers to their questions.

All 3 start and end the same way.....being the destruction of the temple in 70Ad and the glorious second coming in the future....and all Jesus said in between.

How can Matthew and Mark be about 70AD when there was no Abomination of desolation as described by Daniel set up in 70 AD? Matt V14 ende with ..."and then the end shall come". v 15 picks up with "When ye therefore see the Abomination of Desolation...."

V 21 in Matthews says as people are fleeing from the city, the great tribulation over the entire world begins.

V19-20 in Mark says the same thing, as the people are fleeing.

Now look at Luke. V22 in the same context...it simply says these are the days of vengeance that all things must be fulfilled. This is likely concerning Israel alone because Christ had already said the days of vengeance were on Israel for the Blood of the slain prophets and rejecting him, plus the overwhelming amount of prophecy concerning its desolation that had to be fulfilled. And there is no abomination of desolation at all mentioned in Luke.

Look at v 24 in Luke, It has Jerusalem being trodden down and scattered into the nations "UNTIL" the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

How is that the return of Christ?

The latter days signs in the moon and stars don't begin until the next verse, AFTER the times of the gentiles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lion and his lamb View Post
    How can Matthew and Mark be about 70AD when there was no Abomination of desolation as described by Daniel set up in 70 AD?
    How can Matt and Mark not be about 70ad....,as the first question has to do with the temples destruction.? Luke has to deal with the same question yes?

The end does not come immediately is stated in all 3.

Matt 24:3 has the disciples coming to him privately, and more specific Mark 13:3 has Peter , James Andrew and John coming to him privately. Either way Matt , Mk and Luke got their information on what was discussed privately from one of these 4.

As antiatrochus epiphanes came with his army, so did rome who destroyed the temple.

Those who listened fled, and those left were taken captive and exiled to the nations.
    Times of Gentiles follow, Gospel proclamation to all nations a must before the end...then Christ comes.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

How can Matt and Mark not be about 70ad....,as the first question has to do with the temples destruction.? Luke has to deal with the same question yes?

The end does not come immediately is stated in all 3.

Matt 24:3 has the disciples coming to him privately, and more specific Mark 13:3 has Peter , James Andrew and John coming to him privately. Either way Matt , Mk and Luke got their information on what was discussed privately from one of these 4.

As antiatrochus epiphanes came with his army, so did rome who destroyed the temple.

Those who listened fled, and those left were taken captive and exiled to the nations.
    Times of Gentiles follow, Gospel proclamation to all nations a must before the end...then Christ comes.

I understand what you are saying, but the Matt and Mark text combines the fall of Jerusalem and the Great tribulation. And ADDS an abomination of Desolation that was NOT there in 70 AD and is not Luke's discourse. Luke's discourse specifically separates the Fall of Jerusalem and the great Tribulation, and adds in the times of the gentiles.

Matt and Mark say nothing of a time of Gentiles, and both say the greatest tribulation EVER that will over occur across earth happens WITH the fall of Jerusalem and an abomination of desolation.

Matt and Mark are talking about the fall of Jerusalem at the end of days w/ the Abomination of Desolation. Luke describes the Fall of 70 AD w NO abomination followed by the times of the Gentiles that follows, THEN the end of days.

Blog Entries

I see the seven seals of the book of Revelation in Matthew 24

Mt 24:5
    For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many
    (the first seal)

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars:

(second seal)

there shall be famines,

(third seal)

and pestilences

(fourth seal)

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you:

(fifth seal)

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

(sixth seal)

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn,

(seventh seal)

In short the Olivet discourse was a brief synopsis of the revelation the Father had given him,given later to John in detail. I think this is one of the three keys necessary to understand the unsealed book of revelation. The other two are Pharoah's dream interpreted by Joseph in Genesis and the viewing of the book through the Fall feasts of the Lord.

However,I am not making a doctrine out of my view. I could be as off the wall as many others. It's just that I have a detailed defense of the view that is hard to dispute. I understand that claiming to have the only "true" interpretation is almost a sure mark of deception.

Blessings
    2 Ti 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdsword View Post
    I see the seven seals of the book of Revelation in Matthew 24

Mt 24:5
    For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many
    (the first seal)

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars:

(second seal)

there shall be famines,

(third seal)

and pestilences

(fourth seal)

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you:

(fifth seal)

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

(sixth seal)

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn,

(seventh seal)

In short the Olivet discourse was a brief synopsis of the revelation the Father had given him,given later to John in detail. I think this is one of the three keys necessary to understand the unsealed book of revelation. The other two are Pharoah's dream interpreted by Joseph in Genesis and the viewing of the book through the Fall feasts of the Lord.

However,I am not making a doctrine out of my view. I could be as off the wall as many others. It's just that I have a detailed defense of the view that is hard to dispute. I understand that claiming to have the only "true" interpretation is almost a sure mark of deception.

Blessings
    There is a definite interconnectedness between the two. I think it isn't quite as simple as this though.

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    There is a definite interconnectedness between the two. I think it isn't quite as simple as this though.
    For His Glory.
    I agree. The seals are a synopsis of Matthew 24, point by point. What the seals demonstrate is that Matthew 24 is not describing just what happens at the "end", but that it happens over a long period of time, 2000 years.

From this perspective, there are three phrases that are misunderstood.

I. the end is not by and by. Matthew 24 and Mark 13 and Luke 21.
    Here's the verses:

Matthew 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

Mark 13:5 And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you: 6 For many shall come in my name saying, I am the Christ; and shall deceive many. 7 And when ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet.

Luke 21:9 for these things must come to pass but the end is not by and by.

The things that these verses are referring to are the four horses, white horse, black horse, red, pale... the first four seals of Revelation 6. But fear not because they don't mean the end is by and by. They've always been around, causing problems here and there.

II. that all these things might be fulfilled Luke 21:22
    That doesn't mean that we are at the end. It means that whatever is happening is a major marker in history, for example when the abomination was erected on the temple mount claiming to be God. That happened 1260 years into Daniel's prophecy of the seventy years, or the major marker in history, the halfway mark of an all encompassing final 7. As Daniel 9 says, it will stand until the consummation is poured out.

Here's the verse, it parallels Matthew 24:15
    Luke 21:20 And when you shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is near.
    21 Then let them which are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter therein. (think Mohammed's armies when they built the abomination of desolation in 688 AD, and when the countries could no longer enter in to Jerusalem.)
    22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. A major marker

III. immediately after that tribulation Matthew 24:29
    That word translated "immediate" is "de" which simply means "and, moreover, nevertheless" #1161 in the concordance Immediately G1161 G2112 after G3326 the tribulation G2347 of those G1565 days G2250 shall the
    There is another word "eutheos " # 2117 means "forthwith". Let's face it, it can't be both. It's either immediate or it's not. According to Mark and Luke there is nothing immediate about it.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

The keyword is 'immediately'. The text says...Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall...

Immediately
    2112 // euyewv // eutheos // yoo-theh'-oce //

from 2117 ; adv

AV - immediately 35, straightway 32, forthwith 7, misc 6; 80

1) straightway, immediately, forthwith

The question is, what is the sense of immediately after? For example...

Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: )
    16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
    17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
    18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
    19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
    20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
    21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
    22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Verse 21 tells us that this is great tribulation. And it goes on to say about those same days...such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Then we have verse 24-28.

Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
    25 Behold, I have told you before.
    26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
    27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
    28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

Where does this fit in the timeline of events? It either hath to be during the great trib of those days, or after the great trib of those days. The fact verse 24 states...For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect...we know this is in regards to the same elect mentioned in verse 22...but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

How does this all connect? Simple. Read Revelation chapter 13 for one. If that's not the great trib of those days, I give up then. Some key things about that chapter to compare to Matt 24.

Revelation 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

Compare to...

Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: )
    16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
    17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
    19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
    20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
    21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
    22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Revelation 13:13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
    14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

Compare to...

Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

The following verse is key, showing that Matthew 24:15-26 all occur during the same days.

Revelation 13:5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

We see here the beast is allowed to continue forty and two months. That then means all of Matthew 24:15-26 occur within this same forty and two months. What is debatable is this, is the forty and two months even meant to mean a literal forty and two months? I'm not certain on that one, but what I am certain on is this.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

This happens immediately after the 42 months runs it's course, in regards to the beasts in Rev 13. What I think it leads to are the vial judgments seen in Rev 16. Followed by the physical 2nd coming. But if one has Matthew 24:15-22 meaning the events of 70 AD, which BTW occurred almost 2000 years ago, and the fact Matthew 24:29 is clearly meaning after those same days, in no way shape or form is 2000 plus years later immediately after the events of 70 AD. Leads to nothing but nonsensical. Plus it also totally ignores how all of this connects with Rev 13 for one, followed by the vial judgments, followed by the 2nd coming.

The only way you could possibly be correct is that the 42 month reign of the beast began in 70 AD and continues to this day. At least that way it's not making nonsense out of immediately after then. But it does seem to make this 42 months a bit nonsensical if that is actually meaning thousands of years.

Its taken me some time to really get my head around all 3, but I'd say Luke is definitely talking about 70 AD and the times of the Gentiles. The second coming is after the times of the gentiles.

Matthew and Mark are almost identical in detail, Luke it the one with all the changes concerning the fall if Israel. If the actual Words matter at all, they are two prophecies hidden in 3 renditions.

This is a teaching tool also on to how we read prophecy imo.

Its taken me some time to really get my head around all 3, but I'd say Luke is definitely talking about 70 AD and the times of the Gentiles. The second coming is after the times of the gentiles.

Matthew and Mark are almost identical in detail, Luke it the one with all the changes concerning the fall if Israel. If the actual Words matter at all, they are two prophecies hidden in 3 renditions.

This is a teaching tool also on to how we read prophecy imo.
    I for one am not convinced you are right about Luke 21. Too many similar things with Matt 24 and Mark 13 for one..such as...

Luke 21:21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
    22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
    23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

Luke 21:21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

Compare to...

Matthew 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Mark 13:15 And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
    16 And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.

Luke 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Compare to...

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Mark 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

Luke 21:23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

Compare to...

Matthew 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

Mark 13:17 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

Luke 21 IMO is talking about the exact same events in Matt 24 and Mark 13, that being the great trib of those days. The key phrase is 'in those days'. That phrase is used in the following passages.

Matthew 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Mark 13:17 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

Mark 13:19 *For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
    Mark 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

Luke 21:23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

How can in those days in Luke 21 not be meaning the same in those days in Matt 24 and Mark 13, the fact there's several things identical in each account, as I tried to show above? Me, when I think of Jerusalem being surrounded in Luke 21, I start thinking Zech 14 for one, the first cpl of verses.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnymuldare View Post

III. immediately after that tribulation Matthew 24:29
    That word translated "immediate" is "de" which simply means "and, moreover, nevertheless" #1161 in the concordance Immediately G1161 G2112 after G3326 the tribulation G2347 of those G1565 days G2250 shall the
    There is another word "eutheos " # 2117 means "forthwith". Let's face it, it can't be both. It's either immediate or it's not. According to Mark and Luke there is nothing immediate about it.
    You really lost me here. Can't make heads or tales out of your point.

Blog Entries

Separate the 3 versions of the "Olivet Discourse" in Matt, Mark & Luke and examine the Jerusalem prophesies in each passage. The Jerusalem prophecies are in the following passages......Matt 25:15-39, Mark 13:14-37, Luke 21:20-38

Here you will find some hidden wisdom.....

They are NOT the same prophecies concerning Jerusalem. This is the same way the prophets hid the details of their prophecies between each other. Look closely at the details. Matthew and Mark both describe the end times desecration in the Temple over the Abomination of Desolation spoken of by Daniel at the end times. No abomination of desolation was ever set up in 70 AD, the city was simply conquered, completely raised and left barren.

Here is the passage that mentions the fall of Jerusalem in Matthew and Mark, notice they are virtually Word for Word :

Matthew 24:15-16 AND Mark 13:14
    “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains."

Also in both Matt and Mark, the abomination and fall of Jerusalem is tied directly to details of a great destruction and tribulation across the whole earth, worse than any other time in all of history, and the 2nd coming of Christ.

Now examine the Luke passages.

Luke 21:20
    “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near."

No "abomination of desolation" sitting in the Temple as spoken of by Daniel, and no descriptions of a world wide tribulation connected to the fall of Jerusalem, no second coming of Christ yet. They are clearly kept separate from the fall of the city and take place at some point afterwards.

They will fall by the edge of the sword and be taken as captives to all the Gentiles; and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

No End of the world yet, just a long desolation of Israel that lasted for almost 2000 years. No abomination of desolation, no connecting to the great tribulation of the whole world, but instead a prophecy of a long desolation period of Jerusalem and the Jews. Notice this verse is not included in the Matthew and Mark chapters. Also notice the "END TIMES" signs don't begin until AFTER Luke 21:24. AFTER the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled.
    Jesus was talking about the end of the temple age which ended in 70AD. The roman armies were the abomination which caused desolation as Antiocus Epiphanies army was in Daniels time. That is why it is described different in Luke 21:20 it is the same thing.

If this was a future antichrist desecrating a future temple why would it matter to God? God does not require a future temple or sacrifice.

Jesus predicted the temple to be destroyed in that generation and it happened when He said that it would proving that Jesus was God.

This is probably the best point thusfar. This makes me to at least want to perhaps rethink a cpl of things I already submitted in this thread. But maybe Zech 14 is key to understanding this?

Zechariah 14:2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

First we see this...and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity...which could be meaning?....And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

The fact I tend to place Zechariah 14:2 future still, that means the times of the Gentiles in this context is meaning the 42 months in Rev 13. Which then at least agrees with a 42 month period...Revelation 11:2 *But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Jesus was talking about the end of the temple age which ended in 70AD. The roman armies were the abomination which caused desolation as Antiocus Epiphanies army was in Daniels time. That is why it is described different in Luke 21:20 it is the same thing.

If this was a future antichrist desecrating a future temple why would it matter to God? God does not require a future temple or sacrifice.

Jesus predicted the temple to be destroyed in that generation and it happened when He said that it would proving that Jesus was God.
    While I do agree with this point..If this was a future antichrist desecrating a future temple why would it matter to God? God does not require a future temple or sacrifice....I disagree with what you said in the first paragraph. This interpretation totally ignores that the discourse is mainly in regards to what happens to the church, and not what happened in 70 AD. Even if I'm not entirely correct about all of these things myself, I still totally reject your interpretation of these passages. Not worth considering IMO. But that's me, can't speak for others though.

Thread Information