Thread: Help regarding Baptism???

Question Help regarding Baptism???

Good day,

I was baptized when I was a little baby by my uncle who is a Christian Pastor. My question is: Do I need to or rather should I get RE-Baptized now that I am a born again Christian? I've been searching the scriptures and the only passage I can find regarding this issue is in Acts Chapter 8.

And as they went
    on their way, they came unto a certain water:
    and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what
    doth hinder me to be baptized? [8:37] And Philip
    said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou
    mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that
    Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
    [Acts 8:36,37 KJV]

Which doesn't really clarify things very much for me. I understand that one should get Baptized once they believe in Jesus Christ and that Baptism and Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ seem to go together. But re-baptism? Is there any other scripture regarding this subject?

Thank-You.
    --
    Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying,
    I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness,
    but shall have the light of life.
    [John 8:12]

כל הידע שלי וההבנה שלי (כולל למיטב ידיעתי של עברית) טירוף בעיני ה '; אבל בחסד ורחמים שלו, דרך אמונה בנו ישוע המשיח אדוננו המושיע שלי, פונה אליו, אני מקווה שהוא ינחה אותי למקום שאני שייכת לעולם אלוהים.

Re: Help regarding Baptism???

Quote Originally Posted by wendy-p-marshall View Post
    Good day,

I was baptized when I was a little baby by my uncle who is a Christian Pastor. My question is: Do I need to or rather should I get RE-Baptized now that I am a born again Christian? I've been searching the scriptures and the only passage I can find regarding this issue is in Acts Chapter 8.

And as they went

Which doesn't really clarify things very much for me. I understand that one should get Baptized once they believe in Jesus Christ and that Baptism and Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ seem to go together. But re-baptism? Is there any other scripture regarding this subject?

Thank-You.
    Yes, Baptism is symbolic of the death of the old man and the birth of the new man. Baptism prior to salvation is just getting wet for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Yes, Baptism is symbolic of the death of the old man and the birth of the new man. Baptism prior to salvation is just getting wet for no reason.
    So as a baby, in reality, I really only took a bath...??
    --

כל הידע שלי וההבנה שלי (כולל למיטב ידיעתי של עברית) טירוף בעיני ה '; אבל בחסד ורחמים שלו, דרך אמונה בנו ישוע המשיח אדוננו המושיע שלי, פונה אליו, אני מקווה שהוא ינחה אותי למקום שאני שייכת לעולם אלוהים.

Blog Entries

So as a baby, in reality, I really only took a bath...??
    There are those who hold that a child baptism is your parents speaking in your place as you are unable to do so. There are a couple of passages in regards to this, which unfortunately aren't clear:
    Act 16:30 Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
    Act 16:31 And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."
    Act 16:32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house.
    Act 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds; and he was baptized at once, he and all his family.
    Act 16:34 Then he brought them up into his house and set food before them. And he rejoiced along with his entire household that he had believed in God.

Notice that they said if YOU believe, you AND your household will be saved. Then later it states he rejoiced with his household that HE had believed.
    So this suggests the importance of the role of the head of the house believing. However is that not simply reading to much into the wording?

Yet we can assume that the household would include children being baptised and not just believing adults. However assumptions are dangerous.

A more useful passage may be:
    Act 19:2 And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."
    Act 19:3 And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John's baptism."
    Act 19:4 And Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus."
    Act 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

So we have people who were baptised into John's baptism - which is a water baptism, who are then baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. Now again you can assume that when they were baptised into the name of Jesus they were baptised in water, because the laying on of hands happened afterwards, when they then had the Holy Spirit come upon them.
    It is an assumption, but also a reasonable one. So here we have people being baptised twice.
    Personally I have no problem if someone wants to be baptised every year. It is after all a declaration of one's death and resurrection in Christ. However, to repeat it is like trying to get married more than once. You may be married once, but then have a renewing of your vows at a later date. However the later renewing is not a new marriage, but a confirmation of what has already happened. Jesus said (to Peter), you are already clean, so I only need to wash your feet.
    That being so, the question is what do you understand the child baptism was?
    If a dedication of you by your parents then that is one thing, if however you see it AS your death and resurrection in new life, then another.

For me, what is far more important is not any outward act, but are you being immersed IN Him - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - not by water, but by His Word?

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    There are those who hold that a child baptism is your parents speaking in your place as you are unable to do so. There are a couple of passages in regards to this, which unfortunately aren't clear:
    Act 16:30 Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
    Act 16:31 And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."
    Act 16:32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house.
    Act 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds; and he was baptized at once, he and all his family.
    Act 16:34 Then he brought them up into his house and set food before them. And he rejoiced along with his entire household that he had believed in God.

Notice that they said if YOU believe, you AND your household will be saved. Then later it states he rejoiced with his household that HE had believed.
    So this suggests the importance of the role of the head of the house believing. However is that not simply reading to much into the wording?

Yet we can assume that the household would include children being baptised and not just believing adults. However assumptions are dangerous.

A more useful passage may be:
    Act 19:2 And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."
    Act 19:3 And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John's baptism."
    Act 19:4 And Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus."
    Act 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

So we have people who were baptised into John's baptism - which is a water baptism, who are then baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. Now again you can assume that when they were baptised into the name of Jesus they were baptised in what, because the laying on of hands happened afterwards, when they then had the Holy Spirit come upon them.
    It is an assumption, but also a reasonable one. So here we have people being baptised twice.
    Personally I have no problem if someone wants to be baptised every year. It is after all a declaration of one's death and resurrection in Christ. However, to repeat it is like trying to get married more than once. You may be married once, but then have a renewing of your vows at a later date. However the later renewing is not a new marriage, but a confirmation of what has already happened. Jesus said (to Peter), you are already clean, so I only need to wash your feet.
    That being so, the question is what do you understand the child baptism was?
    If a dedication of you by your parents then that is one thing, if however you see it AS your death and resurrection in new life, then another.

For me, what is far more important is not any outward act, but are you being immersed IN Him - father, Son and Holy Spirit - not by water, but by His Word?
    Great response, Thanks!
    --

Good day,

And as they went

Thank-You.
    I was baptized (by immersion) as a child....and I actually knew nothing about Jesus. I memorized Scripture and spouted my memory verses, but had next to no understanding of why I needed to be saved. I really wanted to please the adults....and to drink that grape juice that came around in those cute little cups.

I don't know how it is possible to make Jesus Lord of your life if you don't actually understand your need of a Savior and call upon His Name for salvation.

My next couple dozen years sure didn't exhibit any evidence that I was indwelt by the Holy Spirit. In fact, I embraced New Age teachings in quest of personal power, and for awhile, considered myself to be an atheist.

So I don't think that first baptism constituted an outward manifestation of an inner change at all. After I believed and confessed Jesus as Lord, however, I felt a nagging need to be rebaptized. When I finally obeyed, I was filled with a radiant joy, peace, and heightened awareness of the Spirit's presence and leading in my life.

So I believe that anyone who is asking, "should I be rebaptized?" ought to do it immediately.

In the time of the reformation, those who experienced a rebirth in the Spirit submitted themselves to baptism even though they had been baptized as infants. Their detractors called them "anabaptists" (re-baptizers). Baptism at an age when one consents to it sets a person apart from they who are satisfied with a Christian status that may or may not be lived out. Did Jesus need to be baptized? He did so in order to "fulfill all righteousness". So then what would stop a person from a public confession of faith through the ordinance of baptism as commanded by the Lord? Who baptizes a person before they believe? The correct order then would be first to believe...and then to be baptized.

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
    התהלכו באור

Quote Originally Posted by joined2him View Post
    I was baptized (by immersion) as a child....and I actually knew nothing about Jesus. I memorized Scripture and spouted my memory verses, but had next to no understanding of why I needed to be saved. I really wanted to please the adults....and to drink that grape juice that came around in those cute little cups.

I don't know how it is possible to make Jesus Lord of your life if you don't actually understand your need of a Savior and call upon His Name for salvation.

My next couple dozen years sure didn't exhibit any evidence that I was indwelt by the Holy Spirit. In fact, I embraced New Age teachings in quest of personal power, and for awhile, considered myself to be an atheist.

So I don't think that first baptism constituted an outward manifestation of an inner change at all. After I believed and confessed Jesus as Lord, however, I felt a nagging need to be rebaptized. When I finally obeyed, I was filled with a radiant joy, peace, and heightened awareness of the Spirit's presence and leading in my life.

So I believe that anyone who is asking, "should I be rebaptized?" ought to do it immediately.
    I feel the same way. I think I am going to call up my uncle and arrange to get re-baptized very soon. Thanks.
    --

Great question. Baptism is actually a public demonstration that you have dedicated your life to do God's will rather than your own, vowing to exclusively serve him HIS way forever. That dedication can only spring from a heart full of devotion to God after learning what the Bible teaches His will is, and then vowing to do it as best as humanly possible. Jesus said to baptize disciples (Matthew 28:19), which means one who accepts and assists in spreading the teachings of another. As a little baby, you didn't have the time or ability to learn those things and develop godly devotion.

Another thing to consider is that baptism of babies involves just sprinkling water on them, rather than full immersion as the Bible teaches. Jesus was fully immersed (Matthew 3:16). He was an adult (Luke 3:21-23).

I was baptized as a baby too -- because that's what my parents believed at the time. But when I started studying the Bible seriously, gaining accurate knowledge, acquiring real faith based on evidence, understanding what God's will really means and entails, "fell in love" with God, and decided to dedicate my life to him, I got re-baptized since that is in harmony with what the Bible teaches. I was 15 yrs. old and have never regretted my decision even for one second in all these decades. A life devoted to the One who loves you more than any person could ever love you is truly the richest possible life. Isn't it awesome how He always takes good care of our heart when we give it to him!

Good day,

And as they went

Thank-You.
    All baptisms in scripture are of adults. John baptized those who repented and Jesus and the disciples baptized believers. Some would suggest that since the entire "House of Cornelius" was baptized there must have been some children/infants, scripture does not say that. Most protestant denominations believe in a "believers" baptism which takes place after a profession of faith. Jesus was baptized at 30 but this was His entry into the new priesthood. Our baptism likewise washes us into the priesthood.

Blog Entries

Yes, Wendy, you absolutely need to be baptized again, you were too young to be baptized because now you have knowledge, knowledge of sin for one thing - It's just an adult thing.

No time to elaborate.

As it turns out, my uncle, who is a pastor, informs me that I was not baptized as an infant! (Phew!) Rather he was simply following Hebrew customs and practices by presenting me to the Lord. He was simply observing (Luke 2:22-25) as a traditional custom. Which actually protected me from my parents registering for "Birth Certificate" (which is a total scam, and also corrupts the divinity of the tradition) I suppose now that I should arrange for my baptism!

Great news!
    --

Thread Information