Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is right in Baptism?

Question Does it matter what is said during Water Baptism?

In what name should people be baptized?
    Should people be baptized in the name of "Lord Jesus Christ ," or should they be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit?
    Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Last edited by Sig Sauer; Dec 8th 2015 at 03:05 AM.
    When Seconds Count, the Police are only Minutes Away.
    Proud Supporter of the Right to Carry

Re: Which is right in Baptism?

I was baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, as commanded by Jesus in Matthew 28:19-20.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    I was baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, as commanded by Jesus in Matthew 28:19-20.
    Thanks for your response
    Let me ask you something then, I realize it does say that in Matthew, however, not one scripture after that says that. Every scripture says in the name of Jesus, or similar to that in the New Testament.
    Or does it even matter what is said during Baptism?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sig Sauer View Post
    Should people be baptized in the name of "Lord Jesus Christ ," or should they be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit?
    Are you talking of water baptism or being baptised?

Further I don't believe in any Law, for that brings death, but the Grace of God. What words are used at a baptism are pretty much irrelevant. The actions and attitudes are of greater importance, but greater yet is the life afterwards.

Water Baptism, is what said druning it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Are you talking of water baptism or being baptised?

Further I don't believe in any Law, for that brings death, but the Grace of God. What words are used at a baptism are pretty much irrelevant. The actions and attitudes are of greater importance, but greater yet is the life afterwards.
    Well that is interesting you would say that.
    So it does not matter then what words are used during Prayer, Thanks, Blessing, Healings, and Baptism?
    Thank You.

Thanks for your response
    Let me ask you something then, I realize it does say that in Matthew, however, not one scripture after that says that. Every scripture says in the name of Jesus, or similar to that in the New Testament.
    Or does it even matter what is said during Baptism?
    The proper form of baptism is in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as Jesus designated in Matt. 28:19, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." The clear command of Jesus is to baptize this way. But, if that is so, then why do we see so many instances in the New Testament where people were baptized "in Jesus' name"?

Acts 2:38, "And Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
    Acts 10:48, "And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days."
    Acts 19:5, "And when they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."
    The reason they were baptizing "in the name of Jesus" is not that it was a formula but that the phrase, "in the name of" means "in the authority of." We can see proof of this in Acts 4:7-10,

"And when they had placed them in the center, they began to inquire, 'By what power, or in what name, have you done this?' 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, 'Rulers and elders of the people, 9 if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well, 10 let it be known to all of you, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by this name this man stands here before you in good health."

As you can see, "in the name of the Lord Jesus" and "in the name of Jesus" speaks of "in the authority of Jesus." Therefore, when someone is properly baptized, they are baptized in the name of Jesus, that is, by the authority of Jesus. Therefore, when they are properly baptized in the name of Jesus, they should say, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit," just as Jesus commanded us to do.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Blog Entries

The proper form of baptism is in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as Jesus designated in Matt. 28:19, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." The clear command of Jesus is to baptize this way. But, if that is so, then why do we see so many instances in the New Testament where people were baptized "in Jesus' name"?

Acts 2:38, "And Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
    Acts 10:48, "And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days."
    Acts 19:5, "And when they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."
    The reason they were baptizing "in the name of Jesus" is not that it was a formula but that the phrase, "in the name of" means "in the authority of." We can see proof of this in Acts 4:7-10,

"And when they had placed them in the center, they began to inquire, 'By what power, or in what name, have you done this?' 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, 'Rulers and elders of the people, 9 if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well, 10 let it be known to all of you, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by this name this man stands here before you in good health."

As you can see, "in the name of the Lord Jesus" and "in the name of Jesus" speaks of "in the authority of Jesus." Therefore, when someone is properly baptized, they are baptized in the name of Jesus, that is, by the authority of Jesus. Therefore, when they are properly baptized in the name of Jesus, they should say, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit," just as Jesus commanded us to do.
    Exactly,we major in minors and in doing so we swat at a gnat and swallow a camel.
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdsword View Post
    Exactly,we major in minors and in doing so we swat at a gnat and swallow a camel.
    I was once approached on my mail route by a woman who is a Oneness Pentecostal and she asked me if I was a believer. I said yes. She then asked me if I had been born again. I said yes. Then she asked me if I was baptized in Jesus' name only and not in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is where things got weird! She told me that if I was baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and was not baptized "in Jesus' name only," then my baptism was invalid and I'm still lost. She told me to go home and read Acts 2:38 and if necessary, baptize myself in Jesus' name only so that when I stand before God at the judgment, He will accept me. Before I could mention Matthew 28:19 to her, she walked away and didn't want to hear anything that I had to say.

I water baptize "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in the authority of Jesus' name."
    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    I water baptize "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in the authority of Jesus' name."
    Amen! Praise God!

Blog Entries

I was once approached on my mail route by a woman who is a Oneness Pentecostal and she asked me if I was a believer. I said yes. She then asked me if I had been born again. I said yes. Then she asked me if I was baptized in Jesus' name only and not in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is where things got weird! She told me that if I was baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and was not baptized "in Jesus' name only," then my baptism was invalid and I'm still lost. She told me to go home and read Acts 2:38 and if necessary, baptize myself in Jesus' name only so that when I stand before God at the judgment, He will accept me. Before I could mention Matthew 28:19 to her, she walked away and didn't want to hear anything that I had to say.
    I went through the same thing in my brief stint in the Oneness church. I was there for a few weeks and actually got re-baptized "In the name of Jesus" because I was a young dumb christian. I was told "see the name of the Father,Son and Holy Spirit IS Jesus!" Like I said I was there for few weeks but after I got into the word for myself I left there in a hurry.
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Blog Entries

Dan, I don't think the therefore makes a lot of sense. I understand your post, but it seems that Jesus also is speaking regarding by what authority to baptize in Matthew 28:19, and that is in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. So why wouldn't that be the authority? Then the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ becomes more like what Paul asks in Ephesians 19.

Ephesians 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, 2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

We are disciples of Jesus. We baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. We are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

That isn't perfect either, but it introduces the thought of those commanded to baptize, as in Matthew 28:19, and those submitting to baptism.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Blog Entries

Re: Water Baptism, is what said druning it make a difference?

Well that is interesting you would say that.
    So it does not matter then what words are used during Prayer, Thanks, Blessing, Healings, and Baptism?
    Thank You.
    Indeed:
    Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
    Rom 8:27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
    Rom 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

You see God isn't like a pagan God who requires a certain incantation, or correct wording. What He wants is a heart after His own heart.
    When we get that then we get the rest added on.
    The relevance to what I pray is NOT for God, but for myself and for others who hear me. For IF they don't understand me then how can they agree with my prayer.

The question though is, INTO whom are we to be baptised?
    Are we ONLY to have a relationship with the Son? Or with the Father, or the Spirit?
    In FACT they are one and so to be in a relationship with one is to be in relationship with ALL.
    You cannot be born again except by the Spirit, yet you have no life without the Son.
    So the question looks for some legalistic mumbo-jumbo, when the Grace of God says you MUST be IMMERSED IN Him.

Re: Does it matter what is said during Water Baptism?

A Messianic Jewish Evangelist once taught it this way.

Ask any Jew the common name in scripture for God and the reply will be "Lord"

The name of the son is 'Jesus" and

The name of the Spirit is in Greek "Cristos" or "Christ"

Therefore when you baptize in the name of the "Lord Jesus Christ" you are baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

This didn't make sense to me either. There's no difference. You can't say, as suggested by another, in the authority of the Father, Jesus, and the Spirit, in the authority of Jesus' authority. The authority of Jesus is the authority of the Father. Makes no difference which one is said.

Thread Information