Thread: A Loss in Motivation

Help A Loss in Motivation

First off, I know this is a lengthy post, but please if some of you could read through it, I would greatly appreciate it, because I am at a complete loss of what to do.

Hello, I am new here. Nice to meet you all.

I really wanted to join a community that talks about the bible. And I have read a few posts, and I like the answers that have been given. I feel this will be a great community to be a part of.

Now to the reasoning behind the Title.

All my life, I have been part of a very faithful family to God. As a kid I went to church all the time, my family was very involved, we were there 3+ days a week. It quickly became a place I thoroughly enjoyed being at. Tho long story short, issues came up, my family went through thick and then to stick to what the bible says about never backing down in what you believe to be true within your heart. In the end we had little choice but to find a new church to attend.

Several years later, I had become a very statistical person. I was quickly becoming scientific in my ways of understanding, which I don't believe is necessarily wrong, because I without a doubt believe in god(and he is the one that started the universe, and all if its properties). But after learning more about the universe then any normal person would even bother to understand, I had become a very intelligent person. People were always impressed by what I could say and do. And to say the least, it went to my head. I was intelligent, and I knew it. Then one day, my mother and I were talking. My intelligence had come up in conversation, and she told me in honesty (in more words or less) that no matter how intelligent I was, without wisdom, I might as-well be a fool.

Knowing that God gives wisdom graciously, It peaked a great interest to read the bible front to back. So I did. By the time I was half-way through the Old Testament, my understanding of the everything started to explode with new ideas, and understandings. I had more Ideas in one day about generally everything, Then I normally would of had within a week to a month.

Now this is where things really took off. My mom once again came to me, and said I should just stop where I am in the old testament, and move to the New Testament, and go back to the old testament later. (she believed that I would greatly appreciate it) And go figure, she was spot on again. The New Testament change the way I looked at the most simplest of things. No matter how small or large, everything had the same implications, and in the end (like spoken ingeniously in Ecclesiastes) All efforts towards all scientific fields, and all the itty bitty details, seemed to become vanity to me every quickly.

Coming closer to understanding Christ, has changed me greatly. I had tons of habits- that I thought were normal for humans to have- that I started dropping one by one so that one day I can walk as righteous as humanly possible.

However, as some of you already know. No matter which side of the line you are on, whether you are a greatest sinner, or the most Righteous man, both will have equal problems.

As my understanding grows, I am finding all my past desires to be little more then wasted efforts.

For instance, I work repairing/servicing computers. And over time, It is becoming increasingly noticeable, that computers/technology, for most all, is Idolatry. And this as some might guess, is starting to tear me apart while at work. Watching so many people come and go, as if they are lost at sea.

I have come to a point now, where I have lost most motivation to do just about everything I enjoyed before reading the bible(not that reading the bible has been bad in anyway shape or form). However, the thing that I've noticed is that I am beginning to attain the understanding of hating the world. (like spoken in the bible) This is becoming increasingly hard for me to deal with. I am finding myself being like those talked of in the bible- Longing for the return of Christ.

Most hobbies seem pointless, unless it can help someone to come to understand god. So just about 99% of all things to do in this world, is vanity.

At this point I am at a loss of how I should live out my life. I am still quite young, and my mind is still developing. I will be 24 this August. And I have still yet to choose a career path. It seems everyday I ask for guidance. And I am simply waiting patiently for god to present an opportunity.

My question here is: Is there anything else I can do? Am I missing something obvious? I am continuing to read/listen to the bible just about every day, and I desperately look for more guidance in the bible. Not to mention I have attained new attributes and ability's sense reading the bible, its almost like a sixth sense. In more ways then one, it greatly increase my ability to understand the world around me in comparison, to just about everything. I am very deep thinker. Almost too deep. But I am uncertain on how to progress. I pray that it will come to me one day, or within my dreams.

Does anyone have advice they could share?

I welcome all ideas.

Thank you for taking the time to hear me out.

Re: A Loss in Motivation

Bless you Tiearian, welcome

Praise Jesus for your mother, I have one like that also (thank the LORD). I completely understand what you're expressing, and good job in the reference to Ecclesiastes which illustrates it better than we articulate. My suggestion would be to seek the LORD in prayer as to what His perfect will is for your life with respect to His ministry through you. The only satisfaction we can obtain while in this place is to operate in a way where we can do those things which the LORD has prepared in advance for us to do. After that, the vanity in anything/everything else is less alarming because we still have to work, eat, and live in this world while not being of this world, etc.

How does this look practically? Well, let's say that hypothetically the LORD has ordained a ministry in your life where-in you will bear much fruit for Him by doing (whatever it is) in (whatever area/place/way). Until you're actually fulfilling that and operating in it, He will most likely allow you to see the vanity of doing anything else, in order to draw your attention to Him so He can get you there. Once you are there, you can be fixing a computer for someone so that you can buy groceries and pay bills, and not be overwhelmed in the vanity of it.

Hope this helps! Bless you in Jesus name
    So Send I You By Grace Made Strong

Thank you SeekFirstTheKingdom for your response! This has already helped me greatly! You have given me a perception that I wasn't quite catching. Thank the good LORD! I will be praying about this before I go to sleep tonight, and thanking the LORD for giving me this pain so that I can reach out and learn from it.

God Bless you!

Blog Entries

To work with our hands at an honest occupation is okay until God gives us something else to do. In fact, after we meet Him and begin to see all the vanity of this world, we jump of the treadmill and our money begins to go much further because we don't desire the things we used to like a more expensive car when the one we have works perfectly fine, or new clothes when we have more than enough already.

We aren't attempting to be pious. We just don't love or go after the things we used to.

After I met God and expressed to someone that I didn't get any joy out of anything on earth any more, they thought I was in danger of committing suicide! It was very bizarre. I was in less danger than I ever had been in my entire life and here they were thinking I was in the greatest danger of my life...and it was Christian who I spoke to of it.

Don't search too hard for what God might want you to do. By that I mean, don't agonize too much over it. His work is to make you more and more like His Son and He does that while we are in whatever circumstance we were in when we found Him.

And don't forget, a man makes his plans but GOD guides his steps. Sometimes we see this and other times we just have faith that He is doing what He said, even though it seems to be just us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiearian View Post
    I welcome all ideas.

Turn your PM on.

Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    To work with our hands at an honest occupation is okay until God gives us something else to do. In fact, after we meet Him and begin to see all the vanity of this world, we jump of the treadmill and our money begins to go much further because we don't desire the things we used to like a more expensive car when the one we have works perfectly fine, or new clothes when we have more than enough already.

We aren't attempting to be pious. We just don't love or go after the things we used to.

After I met God and expressed to someone that I didn't get any joy out of anything on earth any more, they thought I was in danger of committing suicide! It was very bizarre. I was in less danger than I ever had been in my entire life and here they were thinking I was in the greatest danger of my life...and it was Christian who I spoke to of it.

Don't search too hard for what God might want you to do. By that I mean, don't agonize too much over it. His work is to make you more and more like His Son and He does that while we are in whatever circumstance we were in when we found Him.

And don't forget, a man makes his plans but GOD guides his steps. Sometimes we see this and other times we just have faith that He is doing what He said, even though it seems to be just us.
    Thank you. I am already Loving this community. I very much appreciate your comment. I completely understand what you mean with the reaction of your friend. I have told people this, and they look at me as if I'm insane. However, a good thing that I have noticed with this, is those who knew me to be very scientific, are thrown a curve-ball when I tell them I believe that Jesus is the Son of God. I can see curiosity in there eyes to know why. And I only pray that they will remember what I had said down the road, to further build their relationship with God. Even if it isn't the words, but the feelings they experienced, I pray that the slightest of alteration in their judgement will be built upon by others, so that one day they will consider God in earnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustal View Post
    Turn your PM on.
    I think they are on now?

Tiearian,
    Don't know if this is what you mean, but don't confuse loving your job with loving the world (unless your job is inherently sinful.) One of the great things God gives us is the ability to choose a vocation we enjoy (1 Thes.4:11) but to do it with the mind that God is our Boss (Eph.6:6).

God has people everywhere and you affect those around you for Him by your conduct at all times. Simply serve Jesus in everything you do and if He wants you someplace else, you will know it.

When we become believers in Christ and God begins to work in our life, then a transformation begins.

Our minds and spirit begin to be renewed and a transformation starts to happen in us.

Our foundation is no longer on the things of this world but on Christ Jesus. When our Minds are set on Christ and the things of God, some times it would seem that the former things of the world are less important to us and start to look dull, compared to the things of God.

(Mat 6:21 NIV) For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

A hymn that I have not heard sung in a long time, but reminds me of this is ...

Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus
    By Helen H. Lemmel

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
    No light in the darkness you see?
    There’s light for a look at the Savior,
    And life more abundant and free!

Refrain:
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
    Look full in His wonderful face,
    And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
    In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting
    He passed, and we follow Him there;
    O’er us sin no more hath dominion—

For more than conqu’rors we are!
    His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
    Believe Him, and all will be well:
    Then go to a world that is dying,
    His perfect salvation to tell!

~

It is not unusual for the things of earth to grow strangly dim, when in the light of his glory and grace.

However, we do live in a material world, so we still have to work and serve others in our jobs. But with the spare time we have, we can use that to draw near to God and do things that build and grow our faith.

Blog Entries

The "undiscovered country" is relationships: to know and be known by another, to love and be loved by them.

Why go to work? To demonstrate our love for God! "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men" (Colossians 3:23). We demonstrate love to our families by providing for them, and if we don't have someone in our lives we can care for, we can ask God to provide opportunities to minister to others: the hungry, the sick, the discouraged. And yes, eventually perhaps a wife, but God may make you wait if you haven't learned to love those already in your path.

Hobbies, reading, learning, and entertainment can be solitary affairs. I ask myself how my solitary activities can bless others, and not all of them have made the cut. I almost never watch television or movies by myself, but if I am with friends or family I can enjoy entertainment together with them and help grow relationships. When I was eight years old I collected minerals, coins, and built electronic gadgets, but now I have almost no interest; they no longer satisfy me and don't pay off with relationships. The same with studying: I learn enough to be able to guide people in love, but I have no desire to be a scholar who revels in the beauty of the original Koine Greek. I suppose you could say I had a choice to become a nerd or a people-lover, and I chose the better path. Musical instruments, foreign languages, engineering of all sorts...these require a lot of investment, but I continue in them not for myself, but to be useful to others and the Kingdom of God.

There is so much to learn about relationships that sometimes it seems as though God did not even understand it all at first. I don't want to wrestle with the meaning of omniscience or being subject to time vs. timelessness here, but consider how God dealt with Abraham when he was about to sacrifice Isaac, or the terrifying grandeur He displayed at Sinai, or how through the prophets God expressed surprise or disappointment with His people, whereas now through Christ we can approach the throne of glory with confidence. Did God develop in His maturity, or simply respond in kind to immature people? I already know how I would answer a lot of this, but it would take long essays! Relationships are complex dances of mutual trust (faith), sacrifice, desire, and pleasure. Jesus is longing to show his love to you now and forever more, and that's something worth getting excited about!

Blog Entries

I've moved your thread to the proper sub board. Good luck and God Bless.
    He's wild you know. Not like a tame lion.

Blog Entries

Ecclesiastes has a lot of scripture that speaks to the loss of motivation under the sun.

https://www.biblegateway.com/quickse...egin=25&end=25

And yet...

Ecclesiastes 9:7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works. 8 Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment. 9 Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun. 10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. 11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. 12 For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them. 13 This wisdom have I seen also under the sun, and it seemed great unto me:

And so may He help us set our affections on the things above while being thankful for what He has provided down here.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. 8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. 12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Trust Him as your Good Shepherd to have you ready to leave when the Bridegroom comes.

I wondered myself just today what hobbies i can do as a Christian coz in most of them i don't see a way to honour God.
    Associating with bible following people here will be my new hobby now, i think. :-)

Blog Entries

I like to embroider and make 3D-cards. Daddy has given me the gift to do that with my hands, as I am disabled and bedridden. This way I am able to spread His Love over the world and be a witness in more ways than I can imagine........ if you let HIm, He will find a way to use you....... If I can do it from a bed, then I am sure He has a purpose for you too......... I lost the ability to embroider for 2 years and 3D cards for a year after that........ in March 2015 I got more worse health problems because of a dental visit (long story) and then, after being off and on the bed, I became completely bedridden and there is not a good painkiller for me anymore..... Crafting for my sisters and brothers and their kids and kids with cancer, makes me humble and while doing it, I am praying for them..... it helps them out and me too, as my attitude is changing (esp. making cards for those unhealthy kids is very humbling, while doing that I realize I have nothing to complain about!), and while doing it I also tend to forget my pains or handle them better.....

This Passover weekend I was prompted twice by the Holy Spirit to make 2 things..... later on news came to me that both of them were in a bit of trouble and in need of intense prayers.......... Daddy uses me because I let Him use me and you can do the same........

Love you,
    Mieke
    Glorious Day
    Living He loved me
    Dying He saved me
    Buried He carried my sins far away
    Risen He justified
    Freely forever
    One day He's coming
    Oh Glorious Day!

Casting Crowns

Quote Originally Posted by Tiearian View Post
    First off, I know this is a lengthy post, but please if some of you could read through it, I would greatly appreciate it, because I am at a complete loss of what to do.

Hello, I am new here. Nice to meet you all.

I really wanted to join a community that talks about the bible. And I have read a few posts, and I like the answers that have been given. I feel this will be a great community to be a part of.

Now to the reasoning behind the Title.

All my life, I have been part of a very faithful family to God. As a kid I went to church all the time, my family was very involved, we were there 3+ days a week. It quickly became a place I thoroughly enjoyed being at. Tho long story short, issues came up, my family went through thick and then to stick to what the bible says about never backing down in what you believe to be true within your heart. In the end we had little choice but to find a new church to attend.

Several years later, I had become a very statistical person. I was quickly becoming scientific in my ways of understanding, which I don't believe is necessarily wrong, because I without a doubt believe in god(and he is the one that started the universe, and all if its properties). But after learning more about the universe then any normal person would even bother to understand, I had become a very intelligent person. People were always impressed by what I could say and do. And to say the least, it went to my head. I was intelligent, and I knew it. Then one day, my mother and I were talking. My intelligence had come up in conversation, and she told me in honesty (in more words or less) that no matter how intelligent I was, without wisdom, I might as-well be a fool.

Knowing that God gives wisdom graciously, It peaked a great interest to read the bible front to back. So I did. By the time I was half-way through the Old Testament, my understanding of the everything started to explode with new ideas, and understandings. I had more Ideas in one day about generally everything, Then I normally would of had within a week to a month.

Now this is where things really took off. My mom once again came to me, and said I should just stop where I am in the old testament, and move to the New Testament, and go back to the old testament later. (she believed that I would greatly appreciate it) And go figure, she was spot on again. The New Testament change the way I looked at the most simplest of things. No matter how small or large, everything had the same implications, and in the end (like spoken ingeniously in Ecclesiastes) All efforts towards all scientific fields, and all the itty bitty details, seemed to become vanity to me every quickly.

Coming closer to understanding Christ, has changed me greatly. I had tons of habits- that I thought were normal for humans to have- that I started dropping one by one so that one day I can walk as righteous as humanly possible.

However, as some of you already know. No matter which side of the line you are on, whether you are a greatest sinner, or the most Righteous man, both will have equal problems.

As my understanding grows, I am finding all my past desires to be little more then wasted efforts.

For instance, I work repairing/servicing computers. And over time, It is becoming increasingly noticeable, that computers/technology, for most all, is Idolatry. And this as some might guess, is starting to tear me apart while at work. Watching so many people come and go, as if they are lost at sea.

I have come to a point now, where I have lost most motivation to do just about everything I enjoyed before reading the bible(not that reading the bible has been bad in anyway shape or form). However, the thing that I've noticed is that I am beginning to attain the understanding of hating the world. (like spoken in the bible) This is becoming increasingly hard for me to deal with. I am finding myself being like those talked of in the bible- Longing for the return of Christ.

Most hobbies seem pointless, unless it can help someone to come to understand god. So just about 99% of all things to do in this world, is vanity.

At this point I am at a loss of how I should live out my life. I am still quite young, and my mind is still developing. I will be 24 this August. And I have still yet to choose a career path. It seems everyday I ask for guidance. And I am simply waiting patiently for god to present an opportunity.

My question here is: Is there anything else I can do? Am I missing something obvious? I am continuing to read/listen to the bible just about every day, and I desperately look for more guidance in the bible. Not to mention I have attained new attributes and ability's sense reading the bible, its almost like a sixth sense. In more ways then one, it greatly increase my ability to understand the world around me in comparison, to just about everything. I am very deep thinker. Almost too deep. But I am uncertain on how to progress. I pray that it will come to me one day, or within my dreams.

Does anyone have advice they could share?

I welcome all ideas.

Thank you for taking the time to hear me out.
    Being a deep thinker can backfire, I would know because I am one. I kind of had the same mindset when I was in my 20s too, overanalyzing everything. You gotta chill and realize you're doing great. First off, you repair computers which is a high demand job these days that pays the bills very well. You seek after God which is great.

Keep doing what you're doing, grow in your career, don't be afraid to be ambitious and dominate the market and be a real man. Go get what you're striving for and never give up or surrender. God is with you every step of the way.

Here's the thing: the more you go after your goals, more people will dislike you and try to detract you from your goals. Christians especially, they will say things like "You're being selfish" or "It's not what God has for you". Like you mentioning something about vanity and work: you my friend, have been brainwashed. There's nothing vain about going after what you want. Give it all you've got and don't look back.

Thread Information