Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daniel 9:27 Ancient Greek Septuagint

Re: Daniel 9:27 Ancient Greek Septuagint

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    I guess you have forgotten what salvation by faith means. Once Jesus is revealed, faith is no longer an option. He is seen and proven.

Paul makes it quite clear that the Abrahamic covenant will be fulfilled. Any commentators that try to make God a liar by dismissing His covenant with Abraham are fools. And they will answer for it at the Bema seat. Especially those who teach.
    And who is it you are calling fools? I haven't heard anyone dismissing the Covenant God made through the Seed [Christ] of Abraham to His people; Israel of God. Lest you fall into the category you greatly fear regarding others, let me leave you with this verse.

Mt*5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerW View Post
    And who is it you are calling fools? I haven't heard anyone dismissing the Covenant God made through the Seed [Christ] of Abraham to His people; Israel of God.
    You conveniently leave out the fact the Abraham's seed is only part of the covenant. In fact, they are two covenants.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham AND his Seed were the promises made.

Galatians 4:22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Just because we got the better end of the deal by a wide margin, doesn't disregard those bound as slaves by the covenant. The promise was made to Abraham AND his seed, which is Christ. If we try to dismiss the descendants of Abraham and say that covenant is null and void, what is the basis for our hope that God will honor the covenant in Christ?

Lest you fall into the category you greatly fear regarding others, let me leave you with this verse.

Mt*5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
    Nice try. Peter, Paul, Jesus, etc called people out who were wrong and had the wrong intentions. Anti-semitism has plagued the church since the early days. It is a HUGE mistake. Okay, I will say "greatly misinformed." Is that more PC?

You conveniently leave out the fact the Abraham's seed is only part of the covenant. In fact, they are two covenants.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham AND his Seed were the promises made.
    There was a promise made with the children [seeds] of Abraham that was always conditioned upon obedience to the law. However the unconditional promise to Abraham through his Seed [Christ] is by grace through faith that is not of ourselves, but the gift of God. You try to make the covenant through obedience to the law the unconditional Covenant of redemption.

Ga*3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

This fact regarding the promise conditioned upon obedience to the law, and the unconditional promise by grace through faith is demonstrated through the allegory. You conveniently leave out the last part of the discourse that shows us the children of bondage, under the conditional promise are cast out, and will not be an heir in the unconditional promise that comes by grace through faith.

Galatians 4:22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Ga*4:27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
    Ga*4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
    Ga*4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
    Ga*4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
    Ga*4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

It is the children of the promise who are counted with the Seed [Christ], through Isaac, as we find in Romans.

Just because we got the better end of the deal by a wide margin, doesn't disregard those bound as slaves by the covenant. The promise was made to Abraham AND his seed, which is Christ. If we try to dismiss the descendants of Abraham and say that covenant is null and void, what is the basis for our hope that God will honor the covenant in Christ?
    It is not ethnicity that makes one part of the True Seed [Christ] of Abraham. It is always according to grace through faith. That's why only the remnant according to election of grace from the Old Covenant nation were saved before the advent of Christ. It is not dismissing the descendants of Abraham, but showing that true descendants of Abraham are all peoples of faith. It matters not one whit whether they be Jew or Gentile, if they are of the faith of Abraham by grace, then they are counted as belonging to the Seed [Christ].

Nice try. Peter, Paul, Jesus, etc called people out who were wrong and had the wrong intentions. Anti-semitism has plagued the church since the early days. It is a HUGE mistake. Okay, I will say "greatly misinformed." Is that more PC?
    The real Anti-Semite are those who tell ethnic Israel that God will save them because they are of the physical seeds of Abraham. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerW View Post
    There was a promise made with the children [seeds] of Abraham that was always conditioned upon obedience to the law. However the unconditional promise to Abraham through his Seed [Christ] is by grace through faith that is not of ourselves, but the gift of God. You try to make the covenant through obedience to the law the unconditional Covenant of redemption.
    Where is the promise to Abraham's seeds? Only seed. Christ.

Ga*3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
    I am not arguing who the seed is. That much is obvious. What about what Paul wrote plainly? The promise was made to Abraham AND his seed. Two promises. Two covenants.

This fact regarding the promise conditioned upon obedience to the law, and the unconditional promise by grace through faith is demonstrated through the allegory. You conveniently leave out the last part of the discourse that shows us the children of bondage, under the conditional promise are cast out, and will not be an heir in the unconditional promise that comes by grace through faith.
    Here is the original covenant that was given to Abraham just after he nearly killed Isaac.
    Genesis 22:16 and said: “By Myself I have sworn, says the Lord, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son— 17 blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies. 18 In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”

The covenant is again given to Isaac by God.
    Genesis 26:4 And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven; I will give to your descendants all these lands; and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; 5 because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.”

The covenant is again to Jacob by God.
    Genesis 28:14 "Also your descendants shall be as the dust of the earth; you shall spread abroad to the west and the east, to the north and the south; and in you AND in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

Where is the condition in the actual covenant?

Ga*4:27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
    Ga*4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
    Ga*4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
    Ga*4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
    Ga*4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

It is the children of the promise who are counted with the Seed [Christ], through Isaac, as we find in Romans.
    Yes, absolutely! We got the better deal 100 times over. They still got a deal.
    It is not ethnicity that makes one part of the True Seed [Christ] of Abraham. It is always according to grace through faith. That's why only the remnant according to election of grace from the Old Covenant nation were saved before the advent of Christ. It is not dismissing the descendants of Abraham, but showing that true descendants of Abraham are all peoples of faith. It matters not one whit whether they be Jew or Gentile, if they are of the faith of Abraham by grace, then they are counted as belonging to the Seed [Christ].
    You are trying to make the two groups one. I am not. The covenant to the "seed" will be fulfilled completely. No doubt with you on that. However, the covenant was also made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and their descendants. Physical descendants.

The real Anti-Semite are those who tell ethnic Israel that God will save them because they are of the physical seeds of Abraham. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    Again, where is the condition in the covenant? Why did Paul write this?

Romans 11:25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
    And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
    27 For this is My covenant with them,
    When I take away their sins.”
    28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

Paul was a Hebrew of Hebrews. He understood perfectly what the covenant is about and it is irrevocable, not conditional.

Uh, oh! Someone is bringing out the big guns. The lead characters are indeed shown here. Good job! The whole situation that leads to the AC is an Islamic civil war. North vs South. Iran and Assyria vs Arabia with Egypt. Non-Arabs vs Arabs. The Arabs lose in the end.
    The Arabs have lost already. They are already in the pockets of the west (Saudi/Jordan/UAE) or invaded by the west (Iraq/Libya) or ruined by the Arab spring (Egypt/Syria). The Persian Iranians are an uncertainty, will they submit to the Turks, or will they have to be invaded before they submit to the Turks? Turkey is in NATO, friends to the west, they are the nation chosen to dominate the Islamic world.

The west's NATO buddy , Turkey is destined to rule the beast empire. They are been manouevered into Islamic dominance. Only Iran stands in their way. They will establish a huge Islamic empire, and their Sunni Islamic beliefs will allow Israel their false Messiah to rule across the centre portion of the Islamic Union. In this way Islam and Israel will enter into the temporary peace described in Ezekiel. This will end with the Gog attack, when Russia and Turkey with Shi-ite Iran will invade the unsuspecting false Messiah who rules over the new "Kurdistan" (Iraq/Syria/Israel). 3 of the ten horns of the Turkish Islamic Union will fall under Israeli/Kurdish control.

Hi Tony,

Your suggested translation from the Septuagint is certainly eye opening. I wanted to quote some of your post in one of my upcoming books. Can you send me a message or friend request and we can discuss further?

There seems to be never ending confusion about the Daniel 70 sevens prophecy. Here is the oldest version known to exist along with the primary definition of each word.

27 καὶ [and] δυναμώσει [to strengthen] διαθήκην [covenant] πολλοῖς [many], ἑβδομὰς [seven] μία [one]· καὶ [and] ἐν [in] τῷ [the] ἡμίσει [half] τῆς [the] ἑβδομάδος [seven] ἀρθήσεταί [to lift up] μου [My] θυσία [sacrifice] καὶ [and] σπονδή [libation], καὶ [and] ἐπὶ [upon] τὸ [the] ἱερὸν [temple] βδέλυγμα [abomination] τῶν [the] ἐρημώσεων [devastation], καὶ [and] ἕως [even as] συντελείας [completion] καιροῦ [time] συντέλεια [end] δοθήσεται [to give] ἐπὶ [upon] τὴν [the] ἐρήμωσιν [desolation].

I know mixed languages are hard to deal with, so I will repeat the English again. (I capitalized "My" because this verse is given by Gabriel directly from God, so we know who the "My" is.)

and to strengthen covenant many seven one and in the half the seven to lift up My sacrifice and libation and upon the temple abomination the devastation and even as completion time end to give upon the desolation.

Now, the huge difference is the word "to lift up," which is usually translated as "take away." I expect this will be controversial so I will expand upon this word.

ἀρθήσεταί is a Verb, Future tense, Passive, Indicative, Singular from the root word αἴρω

Passive means the subject is receiving the action.
    Indicative means the action of the verb is actual.

There are five definitions, so to speak.

1. to lift up, take up, pick up
    2. to look up (in prayer)
    3. to lift up and carry along
    4. to lift up and carry away, remove
    5. to take away, remove (no suggestion of lifting up)

The definition used is critical in this verse. The ramifications are enormous. How can we know for sure which definition was intended by the translator?

Jesus used this very same Greek word, in another construct, twice in the gospel of John. How did Jesus use this critical word?

John 3:
    14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up"

John 12:34 "
    The people answered Him, “We have heard from the law that the Christ remains forever; and how can You say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this Son of Man?”

The underlined words are the English translations of the very same Greek word from the Greek Septuagint version of Daniel 9:27. Do you think Jesus knew this prophecy was about Him? Was Jesus My [God] sacrifice and libation who was lifted up? Everyone can draw their own conclusions.
    Apostle Polygot Bible concurs:

Dan 9:27* AndG2532 he shall strengthenG1412 covenantG1242 with manyG4183 [2period of sevensG1439.1 1one];G1520 andG2532 inG1722 theG3588 halfG2255 of theG3588 period of sevenG1439.1 shall be lifted awayG142 sacrificeG2378 andG2532 libation offering,G4700.2 andG2532 uponG1909 theG3588 templeG2413 an abominationG946 of theG3588 desolationsG2050 will be;G1510.8.3 andG2532 untilG2193 theG3588 completionG4930 of time,G2540 completionG4930 shall be given
    G1325 untoG1909 theG3588 desolation.G2050*

There seems to be never ending confusion about the Daniel 70 sevens prophecy. Here is the oldest version known to exist along with the primary definition of each word.

27 καὶ [and] δυναμώσει [to strengthen] διαθήκην [covenant] πολλοῖς [many], ἑβδομὰς [seven] μία [one]· καὶ [and] ἐν [in] τῷ [the] ἡμίσει [half] τῆς [the] ἑβδομάδος [seven] ἀρθήσεταί [to lift up] μου [My] θυσία [sacrifice] καὶ [and] σπονδή [libation], καὶ [and] ἐπὶ [upon] τὸ [the] ἱερὸν [temple] βδέλυγμα [abomination] τῶν [the] ἐρημώσεων [devastation], καὶ [and] ἕως [even as] συντελείας [completion] καιροῦ [time] συντέλεια [end] δοθήσεται [to give] ἐπὶ [upon] τὴν [the] ἐρήμωσιν [desolation].

I know mixed languages are hard to deal with, so I will repeat the English again. (I capitalized "My" because this verse is given by Gabriel directly from God, so we know who the "My" is.)

and to strengthen covenant many seven one and in the half the seven to lift up My sacrifice and libation and upon the temple abomination the devastation and even as completion time end to give upon the desolation.

Now, the huge difference is the word "to lift up," which is usually translated as "take away." I expect this will be controversial so I will expand upon this word.

ἀρθήσεταί is a Verb, Future tense, Passive, Indicative, Singular from the root word αἴρω

Passive means the subject is receiving the action.
    Indicative means the action of the verb is actual.

There are five definitions, so to speak.

1. to lift up, take up, pick up
    2. to look up (in prayer)
    3. to lift up and carry along
    4. to lift up and carry away, remove
    5. to take away, remove (no suggestion of lifting up)

The definition used is critical in this verse. The ramifications are enormous. How can we know for sure which definition was intended by the translator?

Jesus used this very same Greek word, in another construct, twice in the gospel of John. How did Jesus use this critical word?

John 3:
    14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up"

John 12:34 "
    The people answered Him, “We have heard from the law that the Christ remains forever; and how can You say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this Son of Man?”

The underlined words are the English translations of the very same Greek word from the Greek Septuagint version of Daniel 9:27. Do you think Jesus knew this prophecy was about Him? Was Jesus My [God] sacrifice and libation who was lifted up? Everyone can draw their own conclusions.
    I think the original Language was Hebrew or some form of Chaldean and thus translated into Hebrew long ago. I did the same thing as you did a couple of years back but I used the Hebrew and thus dissected the verse that way.

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

1.) Confirm = gabar 1396 (Hebrew Word) meaning to be strong, to prevail or to act insolently.
    2.) Oblation = minchah 4503 (Hebrew) A tribute or an offering
    3.) Overspreading = kanaph 3671 (Hebrew) An edge, a Wing or Quarter (of a building) a pinnacle.
    4.) Abominations = shiqquwts 8251 (Hebrew) Meaning, Disgusting, Filthy, Idolatrous or AN IDOL !!
    5.) Desolate = shamem 8074 (Hebrew) Meaning to Stun, Grown Numb, to Stupefy, or to Devastate !!

So looking at these original Hebrew word Translations, what is this verse (Daniel 9:27) really telling us ? Does it match up with other end time events ? Let's delve into it !! Basically this is what I get from verse 27.

Daniel 9:27 The Anti-Christ will FORCE and Agreement (Covenant means agreement) on Israel and others, probably the Muslims. He does so insolently, his agenda prevails, he forces this deal. Then after 3 1/2 years he stops allowing the Oblation or Tribute, (I think it's a tribute unto Jesus, who Israel accepts as their Messiah before the Day of the Lord as it says in Malachi 4:5-6) by Israel unto their God, the False Prophet places an IDOL in a Wing or a pinnacle of the TEMPLE and demands all people to worship this IDOL or else they must die. THIS STUNS/SHOCKS OR DEVASTATES Israel, then they heed Jesus' words, they Flee unto the Wilderness where they are protected by God for 1260 Days, because Elijah turned them back to the Messiah (Zechariah 12:10) before the Day of the Lord.

Daniel 9:27 shorter version........The Anti-Christ will force a Peace Deal on Israel, in the Middle of this deal he will renege on is deal, and order the False Prophet to place an Image of the Beast (IDOL) in the Temple, and demand all mankind to worship this Image. This Stuns Israel, devastates them.

Do further scriptures agree with this account ?

Revelation 13:14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

IT MATCHES !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation Man View Post
    I think the original Language was Hebrew or some form of Chaldean and thus translated into Hebrew long ago. I did the same thing as you did a couple of years back but I used the Hebrew and thus dissected the verse that way.

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

1.) Confirm = gabar 1396 (Hebrew Word) meaning to be strong, to prevail or to act insolently.
    2.) Oblation = minchah 4503 (Hebrew) A tribute or an offering
    3.) Overspreading = kanaph 3671 (Hebrew) An edge, a Wing or Quarter (of a building) a pinnacle.
    4.) Abominations = shiqquwts 8251 (Hebrew) Meaning, Disgusting, Filthy, Idolatrous or AN IDOL !!
    5.) Desolate = shamem 8074 (Hebrew) Meaning to Stun, Grown Numb, to Stupefy, or to Devastate !!

So looking at these original Hebrew word Translations, what is this verse (Daniel 9:27) really telling us ? Does it match up with other end time events ? Let's delve into it !! Basically this is what I get from verse 27.

Daniel 9:27 The Anti-Christ will FORCE and Agreement (Covenant means agreement) on Israel and others, probably the Muslims. He does so insolently, his agenda prevails, he forces this deal. Then after 3 1/2 years he stops allowing the Oblation or Tribute, (I think it's a tribute unto Jesus, who Israel accepts as their Messiah before the Day of the Lord as it says in Malachi 4:5-6) by Israel unto their God, the False Prophet places an IDOL in a Wing or a pinnacle of the TEMPLE and demands all people to worship this IDOL or else they must die. THIS STUNS/SHOCKS OR DEVASTATES Israel, then they heed Jesus' words, they Flee unto the Wilderness where they are protected by God for 1260 Days, because Elijah turned them back to the Messiah (Zechariah 12:10) before the Day of the Lord.

Daniel 9:27 shorter version........The Anti-Christ will force a Peace Deal on Israel, in the Middle of this deal he will renege on is deal, and order the False Prophet to place an Image of the Beast (IDOL) in the Temple, and demand all mankind to worship this Image. This Stuns Israel, devastates them.

Do further scriptures agree with this account ?

Revelation 13:14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

IT MATCHES !!!
    What promise was made, that "he confirms the promise/covenant"? In v24 there is a promised "Anointed One", surely that is the fulfilled promise?

Daniel 9 predicts 483 years until the anointed one.
    Yet Daniel 9 also predicts a confirmed promise at year 483 (one seven before the end)

It would therefore make sense to
    A) first look for someone at the time of the coming of the anointed one at year 483 who confirms a promise
    B) to look for some existing promise within Daniel 9 before making up an idea about some peace treaty

A) Jesus is the anointed one, so this confirms God's promise to send an anointed one (obviously)
    This occurs at the same time as the coming of the anointed one (obviously) at year 483
    B) There is a promise listed in Daniel 9. V24 predicts the promised anointed one, this then is the most likely promise to be fulfilled in that same chapter.

Jesus fits better as the one who confirms the promise, better than any future antichrist.

Most people don't realise that most bibles have TWO characters , HE who confirms the promise and then ONE/DESOLATOR (someone else) who sets up the abomination:

27 And he shall make a firm covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the [s]oblation to cease; and [t]upon the wing of abominations shall come one that maketh desolate NASB

27 And he will enter into a binding and irrevocable covenant with the many for one week (seven years), but in the middle of the week he will stop the sacrifice and grain offering [for the remaining three and one-half years]; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate AMPLIFIED

27 That leader will make firm an agreement with many people for seven years. He will stop the offerings and sacrifices after three and one-half years. A destroyer will do blasphemous things until the ordered end comes to the destroyed city NCV

27 And he shall confirm brit (covenant) with rabbim for one heptad; and in the midst of the heptad he shall cause the zevach and the minchah to cease, and on the kenaf (wing) of the abominations is one making desolate OJB

I could go on and on. Most bibles have two people, but nearly everyone who discusses these issues assumes ONE person who both confirms the covenant and sets up the abomination.

I find that fascinating that nearly everyone's view contradicts most English bibles. Wow!!!!

Thread Information