Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Masculine. Feminine.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisa, VA
    Posts
    184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Question Masculine. Feminine.

    I have my mind on an upcoming couples Bible study.

    What do you consider masculine roles and traits?
    What do you consider feminine roles and traits?

    Are these roles and traits God-given?
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Bookshelf
    Posts
    6,747
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    I don't know why this is such a hard question, mainly the "did God make us this way" part. I think the general roles in (cursed) marriage just boil down to what God had said in Genesis. As for traits, well, I'm not sure if there are just two boxes that God picks from. There are men who are very compassionate and thoughtful, and there are women who are very assertive and rough - which typically people associate with the opposite. But does God make us this way or are we "supposed" to be another way and just grew up wrong? I don't know... certainly not when it comes to myself, I am all messed up lol.

    What I know for sure is that not every husband/wife has the exact same role as another husband/wife beyond the biological hocus-pocus.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisa, VA
    Posts
    184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    Actually, it's not a hard question. At least I don't mean it to be.

    Sorting through your answer, compassion and thoughtfulness are generally considered to be feminine traits. Whereas assertiveness and rough behavior are generally considered to be masculine traits. However, all four are human traits. Is that what you're saying?

    What I'm studying is whether male and female roles need to be clarified in our culture. Right now the traits are all sort of being mushed together so that anybody can project any trait. As teens search for their adult identities, wouldn't it be better for them if they could clearly identify what qualifies as maleness, and what qualifies as female?

    For instance one could say, as a female, my primary role and purpose is... (fill in the blanks)
    Traits that identify with that role and purpose are... (fill in some more blanks)

    I'm not talking about whether one identifies as one gender or not, as I certainly don't want to open that can of worms.

    My concern is whether it is detrimental for women to abandon feminine traits, and men to abandon masculine traits, since their maleness or femaleness is at the core of how God created humanity. I'm sensing the lack of a firm foundation in our culture. Does it hurt a woman's sense of self to continually exhibit masculine behaviors over femininity? And vice versa for the guys?

    And part of that discussion is to know which traits are considered primarily masculine traits. And which ones are primarily feminine traits.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Living By Faith
    Posts
    7,793
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Jackson View Post
    I have my mind on an upcoming couples Bible study.

    What do you consider masculine roles and traits?
    What do you consider feminine roles and traits?

    Are these roles and traits God-given?
    Thank you.
    What I answer may be different than what another person answers.
    What I consider masculine or feminine may be different than what others consider them to be.

    I probably would not go down the path if the question were asked: What does God see as masculine or feminine traits or roles, because I do not see the 1950's as God's perfect answer either...but it seems as though for many it is.

    I also do not believe men or women purposely abandon parts of their being.
    Some traits are developed or undeveloped, some involve genetics. Physical attributes, emotional attributes, intellectual attributes, spiritual attributes.
    Peace to you!

    It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

    1 Corinthians 1:30


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Bookshelf
    Posts
    6,747
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Jackson View Post
    Actually, it's not a hard question. At least I don't mean it to be.

    Sorting through your answer, compassion and thoughtfulness are generally considered to be feminine traits. Whereas assertiveness and rough behavior are generally considered to be masculine traits. However, all four are human traits. Is that what you're saying?

    What I'm studying is whether male and female roles need to be clarified in our culture. Right now the traits are all sort of being mushed together so that anybody can project any trait. As teens search for their adult identities, wouldn't it be better for them if they could clearly identify what qualifies as maleness, and what qualifies as female?
    Personally I don't think all men and women have the same roles in society based on their gender... but marriage is a different story. Maybe it's a hard question because I am overthinking it too. I would say that there are human traits, and that sometimes God/the environment/we ourselves make us into something specific. But not everyone gets the same personality. The only thing universal to all men and women is biology, even though there are some qualities that tend to be expressed in one gender more than the other depending on the culture.

    For instance one could say, as a female, my primary role and purpose is... (fill in the blanks)
    Traits that identify with that role and purpose are... (fill in some more blanks)
    In marriage I would say it is to be the helpful companion, and the traits associated with that would depend on the weaknesses of the husband - does he need "feminine qualities" like peace, gentleness, or "masculine qualities" like courage and strength? What traits should I grow in to benefit the family as a whole? That would be how it varies couple to couple.

    In single life I don't think there is any role at all simply being female.

    My concern is whether it is detrimental for women to abandon feminine traits, and men to abandon masculine traits, since their maleness or femaleness is at the core of how God created humanity. I'm sensing the lack of a firm foundation in our culture. Does it hurt a woman's sense of self to continually exhibit masculine behaviors over femininity? And vice versa for the guys?
    But I think it would be pretty boring if we were all the same. We express ourselves in different ways; I don't think anything is wrong with different personalities unless it is sinful. If so, that's another impossible standard for some of us. But I'm open to new ideas.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisa, VA
    Posts
    184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    thank you Aviyah for your well considered answer. Especially where you were talking about a woman's role in marriage. Various viewpoints are exactly what I'm looking for and what I expect.

    Can you explain how in the single life you feel there is no role in being specifically female?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisa, VA
    Posts
    184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    [QUOTE=Scooby_Snacks;3324601]What I answer may be different than what another person answers.
    What I consider masculine or feminine may be different than what others consider them to be.

    Well, this is what I am looking for: varied opinions.
    What do you yourself consider to be masculine and feminine traits?

    When you say some traits involve genetics, are you speaking of physical attributes only? Or might the other attributes you listed (emotional, intellectual, spiritual) be in some manner also genetic?

    Again, this is your personal opinion. I'm not out to tell anyone their views are right or wrong. I'm just trying to see how others view things. thanks for your input.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Bookshelf
    Posts
    6,747
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Jackson View Post
    Can you explain how in the single life you feel there is no role in being specifically female?
    Sure, I don't know of any Biblical instruction to just women (or just men) about what to do in society or life. I think that's because we are all called to different things. There are cultural ideas... such as "women should not be soldiers" but that doesn't mean God says that no woman should ever be in the military. I do feel outside pressure to do the whole "get married, have kids" thing but I think that is a secular impression rather than something God gives every woman.

    Just being female doesn't mean I have to be or act a certain way on my own.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    on the Way
    Posts
    6,863
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    I think that in a marriage we are supposed to supplement each other. There are clearly male tratits that make him an overall better leader of the marriage, but there are also various femine traits that are necessary for the marriage as well. In my marriage it works a little different, because I am depending on my husband to do things for me due to my failing health, so he has to step up the plate in certain areas while I take care of areas that I can still do with my failing health that my husband has no time for or doesn't speak the language well enough for.

    Love you all lots,
    Mieke
    Glorious Day
    Living He loved me
    Dying He saved me
    Buried He carried my sins far away
    Risen He justified
    Freely forever
    One day He's coming
    Oh Glorious Day!

    Casting Crowns

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisa, VA
    Posts
    184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Sure, I don't know of any Biblical instruction to just women (or just men) about what to do in society or life. I think that's because we are all called to different things. There are cultural ideas... such as "women should not be soldiers" but that doesn't mean God says that no woman should ever be in the military. I do feel outside pressure to do the whole "get married, have kids" thing but I think that is a secular impression rather than something God gives every woman.

    Just being female doesn't mean I have to be or act a certain way on my own.
    Thanks for clarifying your viewpoint.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisa, VA
    Posts
    184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    Quote Originally Posted by miepie View Post
    I think that in a marriage we are supposed to supplement each other. There are clearly male tratits that make him an overall better leader of the marriage, but there are also various femine traits that are necessary for the marriage as well. In my marriage it works a little different, because I am depending on my husband to do things for me due to my failing health, so he has to step up the plate in certain areas while I take care of areas that I can still do with my failing health that my husband has no time for or doesn't speak the language well enough for.

    Love you all lots,
    Mieke
    I understand perfectly. My husband's previous wife had a disease that left her in pain or in the hospital much of the time. They had 3 sons at home, so it was a lot on his plate taking care of his wife and keeping the household going. One of the sons actually took over the cooking.

  12. #12

    Re: Masculine. Feminine.

    I used to think God made us male and female but they He could have decided to make my soul in a male body and He decided to put it in a female body.... now I don't think so: I think the male and female soul are distinct (I could not have been put in a male's body because my soul is uniquely feminine).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need Advice: When Does Appreciation of Feminine Beauty Become Lust?
    By Gauntlet in forum Solomon's Porch
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: May 2nd 2017, 10:37 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 16th 2011, 02:49 AM
  3. Helping my daughter be more feminine
    By Tammy_Jade in forum Families in Christ
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Sep 6th 2009, 01:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •