Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Thessalonians 2

Re: 2 Thessalonians 2

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Really? It will then be a long period in complete darkness

Shall not the day of the Lord be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    What Seminary do they teach such things?
    I wouldn't know. I got it out of the Holy Bible.

Look up "the Day of the Lord" to see what all takes place during it [and its associated phrase "in that day"] ...(don't forget Zechariah 14's "in summer and in winter it shall be" [that's under "aspect #3" the "reign... GLORIOUSLY" 1000-yr aspect of it])...

unless you'd like to make up a new [completely unrelated and unfounded] definition for it, like the Amill-teaching does.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
    ["the earlier book"] Paul has just given THE SAME EXACT SEQUENCE/ORDER of events in 1Th4-5 (that he also later gives in 2Th2 [and repeats 3x there!]).

"FIRST", "the rapture/THE Departure"...

THEN, "the Day of the Lord [the time period]" (which ARRIVES "as a thief IN THE NIGHT"--and he names the "FIRST birth PANG [SINGULAR]" [1Th5:2] OF the many "birth PANGS [plural]" [Mt24] which will characterize "the Day of the Lord [time period--the "DARK" portion]" i.e. the 70th-Week/7-yrs (with its man of sin and ALL his doings)].

[this is the same "order" I explained in the 2Th2 posts]

The "destruction [G3639]" here referred to, means "ruination" not a sudden [physical-]death-type of "destruction" or obliteration. It is referring again to all that the "man of sin" will do DURING the unfolding of that time period leading UP TO Christ's 2nd Coming to the earth. His revealing is the moment in time when "the Day of the Lord" will be "PRESENT" [to then unfold upon the earth over the course of some time] (1st Seal [Jesus opens]--FIRST action which sets off the 70th-Week/7-yrs [Daniel 9:27a]--the FIRST birth "PANG [singular]" of many over the course of some time [the "in his time" of the "man of sin"])

G3639 -

3639 ólethros (from ollymi/"destroy") – properly, ruination with its full, destructive results (LS). 3639 /ólethros ("ruination") however does not imply "extinction" (annihilation). Rather it emphasizes the consequent loss that goes with the complete "undoing."

The first thing the "man of sin" (which I perceive to be the AC) DOES is to "confirm the covenant for ONE WEEK"... my guess is, the wrong one.
    Haha I was taking a chance being off topic by bringing up 1 Thess 4/5. Thank you for humoring me.

I find your tribulation/extended day of the Lord view interesting , my rebuttal as far as 1 Thess 4/5 is concerned is that this day of the Lord is clearly associated with "sudden destruction". This wording does not fit your extended day of the Lord approach.
    Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

Of course my rebuttal from Zechariah 14 also still stands, whereby the day of the Lord ends in the evening, implying a single day that is dark at first, but that evening becomes lighter.
    6 On that day there will be neither sunlight nor cold, frosty darkness. 7 It will be a unique day—a day known only to the Lord—with no distinction between day and night. When evening comes, there will be light

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Did you read what it says in Rev 11:18?

The nations were angry,
    and your wrath has come.
    The time has come for judging the dead,
    and for rewarding your servants the prophets
    and your people who revere your name,
    both great and small—
    and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

"the time has come for judging the dead and rewarding your servants and prophets"

That takes us right to the judgement day in Rev 20

Revelation isn't all in chronological order
    Revelation is not all in Chronological order, I made a thread on my End Time Biblical Events channel on discus, stating just that, and show how about 10 chapters end at about the same time. But the 7th Seal brings in the trumps, and the 7th trump beings forth the Vials there is no doubt about this. As per the 11:18 it has nothing to do with the trumps or vials, it is about the Two-witnesses. It is not the judgment of the Dead not in Christ, but the Dead in Christ, those murdered in the Tribulation, the Church has already married the Lamb by this time (Rev. 19).

Rev. 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. (The First Resurrection describes verse 4 above)

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    God gave the angels the 7 trumpets

Revelation 8:2
    2 And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them.

They are Gods trumpets not the angels
    Let's go back to the verse,

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

I see three events here.

1/ The Lord himself descends from heaven with a shout.

2/ Voice of the archangel

3/ The trump of God

I didn't see any angel sounding the trumpet in this event.

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Again,I didn't see any angel sounding the last trump here. Paul says the trumpet shall sound, but he never says the trumpet shall be sounded by an angel. Why did you link God's trump in 1 Thessalonians 4:16 and last trump in 1 Corinthians 15:52 to the last trumpet in Revelation 11 when Paul never indicates that it shall be blown by an angel?

Paul's message in 2 Thessalonians 2 is quite clear.

1/ Before the second coming of Jesus,there will be a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. All these events shall be fulfilled during the second half of tribulation.

2/ And before that wicked can be revealed,he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way,that is,the restrainer needs to be taken out of the way.

Now,let's focus on the events in tribulation and how they are started. Many believe Daniel's last week begins when the Anti Christ comes forward and signs a seven years treaty,or confirming a covenant. There is a problem with this suggestion.

What if Satan and his puppet AC never comes forward to sign a 7 years treaty,or to confirm a covenant,would that give them the key to hold off the tribulation forever? Would that also give them the authority above our God,that is,they hold the key to determine when the 7 years can happen,not God? In what circumstances can the tribulation start?

I wouldn't know. I got it out of the Holy Bible.

Look up "the Day of the Lord" to see what all takes place during it [and its associated phrase "in that day"] ...(don't forget Zechariah 14's "in summer and in winter it shall be" [that's under "aspect #3" the "reign... GLORIOUSLY" 1000-yr aspect of it])...

unless you'd like to make up a new [completely unrelated and unfounded] definition for it, like the Amill-teaching does.
    Elijah come back to turn Israel back to God before the terrible day of the Lord. The Day of the Lord suggests that a DAY is coming when JUDGMENT will start, be we all know that Judgment last 42 months at least, maybe a tad more.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndcoming View Post

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

I see three events here.

3/ The trump of God

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Again,I didn't see any angel sounding the last trump here. Paul says the trumpet shall sound, but he never says the trumpet shall be sounded by an angel. Why did you link God's trump in 1 Thessalonians 4:16 and last trump in 1 Corinthians 15:52 to the last trumpet in Revelation 11 when Paul never indicates that it shall be blown by an angel?
    The issue that you have with the differences noted in those 3 passages [1 Thess 4, 1 Corinthians 15, and 2Thess 2 ] is not because they are the same event, but in fact are 3 different events. 1. the rapture, 2. the redemption of Israel, 3. One body, 2nd advent- in that order. There are plenty of differences to be noted in the 3 events.

Blessings to all who keepeth the sayings and the prophecy of HIS book!
    GB

Blog Entries

2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 5Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 6And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 7For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

Let's start a discussion on it,to see if Paul is for pre-trib rapture or post-trib rapture.
    Pre-trib and post-trib rapture theories came from our fractured interpretation of the scriptures because one must be correct and the other wrong. I have engaged in seemingly endless debates about which theory is true; both sides accuse the other of getting it wrong. Unfortunately, the end of each discussion is never conclusive.

You could have used a better phrase than to question whether Paul is for pre-trib or post-trib. Paul himself said in 1 Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Is he to blame for the divisions in the Body of Christ? I don't think so.

I have found that most proponents of these diverse theories are very passionate in their belief and conclusion that the other side is wrong. I personally would not wish to engage in another debate of this nature as they ultimately end in stalemate. I, therefore, take comfort and consolation in 1 Cor 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

I say to all who will listen to do the work of an evangelist and trust God who will reveal the truth in his own time. For me, there are so many other aspects of scripture worth exploring for their hidden depth.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The issue that you have with the differences noted in those 3 passages [1 Thess 4, 1 Corinthians 15, and 2Thess 2 ] is not because they are the same event, but in fact are 3 different events. 1. the rapture, 2. the redemption of Israel, 3. One body, 2nd advent- in that order. There are plenty of differences to be noted in the 3 events.

Blessings to all who keepeth the sayings and the prophecy of HIS book!
    GB
    Can you elaborate more on your thought? I would like to know your end time view.

I see three events here.

3/ The trump of God

When it comes to trumpets in general, and that there is a last trumpet, and let's say the 7th trumpet and the last trumpet are not one and the same. That would logically have to mean the last trumpet follows sometime after the 7th trumpet then, otherwise it couldn't be the last trumpet. Even this doesn't help Pretrib as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation Man View Post
    Elijah come back to turn Israel back to God before the terrible day of the Lord. The Day of the Lord suggests that a DAY is coming when JUDGMENT will start, be we all know that Judgment last 42 months at least, maybe a tad more.
    Recall how I said there are different (and specific) aspects, and that each passage where found contains one aspect, or parts of it.

Here (Malachi 4:5) it says, "before the coming of the great [H1419] and dreadful [H3372] day of the Lord."

I see this verse as describing a time (when "E" will be sent) that is "BEFORE" the "GREAT" portion OF it. (That is, not before the entirety of it... but "before the GREAT" portion of it, meaning, BEFORE the 2nd HALF [of the 70th-Week/7-yrs].)

Joel 2:31 [also Revelation 6:12]'s "moon into blood/moon became as blood" occurs also "BEFORE the GREAT" portion OF it... that is, at some point BEFORE the 2nd HALF (the "GREAT" portion)... but that these two events ("E" sent and "moon into blood") BOTH occur IN THE FIRST HALF of the future 70th-Week/7-yrs... the BEGINNING of which [that is, the start of the 70th Week is the start of "the Day of the Lord" (which continues beyond those 7 years through the entire 1000 years, its 3rd aspect)].

So "E send/sent" and "moon into blood" [6th seal] both occur in Part A [first half ("BEFORE the GREAT")] of the #1st aspect... whereas "the GREAT" occurs in Part B [second half] of the #1st aspect, and is the start of that portion [both WITHIN the 70th-Week/7-yrs (not before it)]

Adding this
    (my speculation as to timing within it): My thought is that these occur roughly following the Gog-Magog War (among the "wars" of 2nd Seal; 6:2 sounds similar to Ezekiel 38:21 and so forth), which I believe occurs within the 1st year... and then the 6th Seal ("moon into blood" [and Ezekiel 39:7-8,24&29 @ 6th Seal]) and "'E' sent" occur sometime in the 2nd year (following that 7-mo clean-up task)... and similarly to how "Joseph made himself known unto his brethren" Genesis 45:1 (when 5 years yet remained of the 7-yr famine-Genesis 45:6). I have other reasons too... but no more time, and this likely is heading a bit off topic...

Can you elaborate more on your thought? I would like to know your end time view.
    I will but it will probably be later this afternoon or into the evening. It is 1 pm locally now.
    Blessings
    GB

When Paul speaks of the last trumpet, that obviously implies other trumpets precede the last one. Where else in the NT are there any trumpets sounding besides in the book of Revelation if those trumpets are unrelated to Paul's last trumpet?

Blog Entries

I see three events here.

3/ The trump of God

It doesn't say God blows the trumpets either.

When kings came to cities his people were blowing the trumpets of his arrival not him but they were his trumpets

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
    Recall how I said there are different (and specific) aspects, and that each passage where found contains one aspect, or parts of it.

Here (Malachi 4:5) it says, "before the coming of the great [H1419] and dreadful [H3372] day of the Lord."

I see this verse as describing a time (when "E" will be sent) that is "BEFORE" the "GREAT" portion OF it. (That is, not before the entirety of it... but "before the GREAT" portion of it, meaning, BEFORE the 2nd HALF [of the 70th-Week/7-yrs].)

Joel 2:31 [also Revelation 6:12]'s "moon into blood/moon became as blood" occurs also "BEFORE the GREAT" portion OF it... that is, at some point BEFORE the 2nd HALF (the "GREAT" portion)... but that these two events ("E" sent and "moon into blood") BOTH occur IN THE FIRST HALF of the future 70th-Week/7-yrs... the BEGINNING of which [that is, the start of the 70th Week is the start of "the Day of the Lord" (which continues beyond those 7 years through the entire 1000 years, its 3rd aspect)].

So "E send/sent" and "moon into blood" [6th seal] both occur in Part A [first half ("BEFORE the GREAT")] of the #1st aspect... whereas "the GREAT" occurs in Part B [second half] of the #1st aspect, and is the start of that portion [both WITHIN the 70th-Week/7-yrs (not before it)]

Adding this
    (my speculation as to timing within it): My thought is that these occur roughly following the Gog-Magog War (among the "wars" of 2nd Seal; 6:2 sounds similar to Ezekiel 38:21 and so forth), which I believe occurs within the 1st year... and then the 6th Seal ("moon into blood" [and Ezekiel 39:7-8,24&29 @ 6th Seal]) and "'E' sent" occur sometime in the 2nd year (following that 7-mo clean-up task)... and similarly to how "Joseph made himself known unto his brethren" Genesis 45:1 (when 5 years yet remained of the 7-yr famine-Genesis 45:6). I have other reasons too... but no more time, and this likely is heading a bit off topic...
    I think Israel builds the Temple and puts forth the Daily Sacrifice, Elijah turns Israel back to God, and then the Anti-Christ gets angry and breaks his agreement. You see, they did not mind a "Spiritually Dead" Israel, but once they turn to Jesus, all hell will break loose.

As per the last Trump. I think people overlook a lot of clues....

Here is a list of some of the references to these Old Testament feasts within the book of 1 Corinthians.

The Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread are mentioned in 1 Corinthians 5:7-8, “Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.”

The Feast of Firstfruits is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:20-23, “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. … But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.” It is also referred to in 1 Corinthians 16:15 in a more incidental way, “… ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, …”

The Feast of Pentecost (or Feast of Weeks) is mentioned explicitly in 1 Corinthians 16:8, “But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost.” It is also alluded to implicitly in 1 Corinthians 16:2, “Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, …” Compare this to Deuteronomy 16:10, “And thou shalt keep the feast of weeks unto the Lord thy God with a tribute of a freewill offering of thine hand, which thou shalt give unto the Lord thy God, according as the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:”

The Feast of Trumpets is what Paul is referring to when he speaks of “the last trump” in 1 Corinthians 15:51, “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.”

The Day of Atonement was the most solemn day in the Jewish Calendar. To the believer, the Lord’s Supper is the most solemn time. Although in many ways the Passover is reflected in the Lord’s Supper, the Day of Atonement is also reflected just as much. Compare Leviticus 23:29, for example, with 1 Corinthians 11:29-30. In a later post, if the Lord permits, I hope to explore this further.

The Feast of Tabernacles is alluded to in 1 Corinthians 3:16 to the assembly, “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”, to the individual believer in 1 Corinthians 6:19, “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, …,” and the final fulfillment of this “Feast of Tabernacles” is referred to in 1 Corinthians 15:24 (compare to Revelation 21, especially verse 3).

Other than the blowing of the trumpets there appears to be little instruction beyond this for Israel to do on the day of this feast. It would be a Sabbath day and they would offer a burnt offering (Lev 23:24-25) and that’s all. It appears to be mainly a signal that the 7th month has begun (a very important month in the Jewish calendar). Likewise the church simply waits for it and will have nothing special to do on that day (other than see the Lord Jesus who is the fulfillment of all burnt offerings). It is out of our control and we simply wait for it to happen. “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17).
    Importance of the Feast of Trumpets to Israel

For the church “the last trump” is the signal of our home-coming. For Israel it is a signal that the day of Atonement is at hand (which happened 10 days after the Feast of Trumpets) where Israel must “afflict” its soul (see Leviticus 23:26-32). Prophetically speaking the Day of Atonement illustrates the seven-year tribulation period where the world and Israel will be tried. By the end of those days, two thirds of Israel will be lost and all those who remain of Israel will be saved (Zechariah 13:8-9, Romans 11:26).

Thread Information