Thread: the prophecy of Tyre-Its clearly a false prophecy(moved from BC)

the prophecy of Tyre-Its clearly a false prophecy(moved from BC)

edit2 i think i put this in wrong forum, can't fugure out how to move. srry

EDit: by false I mean its a trival prediction that pretends to be a divine message, not that its historically innacurate.

All my life Christians keep pointing to Tyre and going "look how true it is, it came true exactly as claimed, it proves God told Ezekiel about it!"

Tyre's utility as evidence for God can be destroyed just by asking the question "whats the time limit on the prophecy?"

The answer is "There is none"

Ezekiel predicts that over the course of forever Tyre will be destroyed by armies and fall into the sea.

Which when you think about it is kind of a "no duh" prediction.

Tyre like most nations died, and like most extinct nations it died violently.

Moreover Tyre is a Island, Islands erode, this is not a secret.

Is there something I'm missing?

Is there something else he says about it I don't know about

Re: the prophecy of Tyre-Its clearly a false prophecy(moved from BC)

**Modstaff note**
    Josephus,
    As a non-Christian, please limit starting new posts to this subforum, designed to answer questions by non-Christians.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by josephus View Post
    All my life Christians keep pointing to Tyre...
    Tyre's utility as evidence for God can be destroyed just by asking the question "whats the time limit on the prophecy?"
    Welcome to Bibleforums josephus.

I like that you have basically been considering "evidence for God" all your life. But Christianity is not ultimately based on the 3rd party impartial weighing of evidence for God. Christianity demands personal consideration and participation that is well beyond the consideration of Ezekiel's Prophecy of Tyre.

Your argument is constructed in an evangelistic way which you seem to believe ought to inform the Christian against their beliefs. In actuality, it is probably a self defense for your own beliefs though. We do these things, sometimes even for a whole lifetime, even taking the time to join up a forum to pose our defense and ask questions (which we thank you for by the way), convinced that there isn't a God because there is no evidence that settles the question for everyone, and because Ezekiel's prophecy as evidence falls short. The Prophecy of Tyre hardly seems the kind of thing to rest one's eternal hat on though.

Where are you on the spectrum of belief currently?
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

the prophecy of Tyre-Its clearly a false prophecy(moved from BC)
    edit2 i think i put this in wrong forum, can't fugure out how to move. srry

EDit: by false I mean its a trival prediction that pretends to be a divine message, not that its historically innacurate.

All my life Christians keep pointing to Tyre and going "look how true it is, it came true exactly as claimed, it proves God told Ezekiel about it!"

The answer is "There is none"

Ezekiel predicts that over the course of forever Tyre will be destroyed by armies and fall into the sea.

Which when you think about it is kind of a "no duh" prediction.

Tyre like most nations died, and like most extinct nations it died violently.

Moreover Tyre is a Island, Islands erode, this is not a secret.

Is there something else he says about it I don't know about
    Hi josephus. Thanks for asking this question. The Bible is written in parable form according to itself (Psalm 78:1-2 and Mark 4:34) and words have meanings beyond the surface meaning, as is the way for understanding parables. For example, the city of Jerusalem in the Bible is actually a picture of believers and not just the city on a map. Similarly, Tyre is a picture of something beyond the city on any map. In Ezekiel, Tyre is a picture the congregations of the church age as they fall away from the true gospel of Christ and head into a time of great tribulation and are lead by a different spirit other than Christ's. In fact, the book of Ezekiel is intended to give instruction to God's rebellious people of how the church of God is truly intended to be built. Thus, the prophecy about Tyre is really saying something along the lines of God is against the congregations that don't follow the true gospel and that don't have Christ's spirit.

Thread Information