Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite quotes by Godly people

Re: Favorite quotes by Godly people

Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

"It is a true saying that believers should not act for life, but from life.
    They must act as those that are not procuring life by their works,
    but as such who have already received and derived life from Christ,
    and act from the power and virtue received from Him."

--Walter Marshall, The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

I will give my 8 favorite quotes in reverse order of preference:

(7)-(8) 2 bloopers my pastor accidentally made during sermons in my childhood church:
    "And Jordan baptized Jesus in the John."
    "And David fled to the gates of the shrine, and there he stood, bleathless and pantless!"

Explanation: 2 factors made these bloopers particularly memorable:
    (a) My pastor had no sense of humor and was oblivious to his misspeak!
    (b) In his first blooper, the congregation just sat there stone-faced! Didn't they hear what he said?
    In his 2nd blooper, the congregation also sat there stone-faced, but a few minutes later a guy near the front turned around and looked at me with a wicked grin on his face! At least he was listening carefully!

(6) Mark Twain's witty reply to the question of his hope for the afterlife:
    "I'd choose Heaven for the climate and Hell for the company."

(4)-(5) My 2 Favorite quotes from early 17th century Christian philosopher/ mathematician, Blaise Pascal:
    “All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” (Profound!)
    “I have only made this letter longer because I have not had the time to make it shorter." (Profoundly funny!)

(3) C. S. Lewis: "The gates of Hell are locked from the inside."

Explanation: We trap ourselves in Hell on the basis of the principle like attracts like. It is not God who locks us in Hell.

(2) J. Hudson Taylor (19th century missionary) on the key to his phenomenal success during his pioneering work in the China Inland Mission:
    "I learned that I could receive my greatest answers to prayer when my heart felt like wood."

(1) G. K. Chesterton (early 20th century writer in his essay "Twelve Men:"
    "The more a man looks at a thing the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

Explanation: Chesterton made this comment in objection to a proposal by English politicians to replace juries of ordinary people with professional lawyers. But his statement is also profoundly relevant to ministers and theology professors like me and gives new meaning to Jesus' celebration of a childlike faith.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonald View Post
    (6) Mark Twain's witty reply to the question of his hope for the afterlife: "I'd choose Heaven for the climate and Hell for the company."

Hi TheDonald, WOW, that is quite a statement from someone I can only presume became a 'former' Presbyterian before the end of his days here. So he prefers the company of Satan, the demons, and the unbelieving wicked to that of the Godhead, the holy angels and the saints? No wonder the Atheists/Humanists have no trouble claiming Twain as one of their own!

~Deut
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

Oh, and I see you are pretty new around here, so I should also say, WELCOME to BFO

~Deut
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

Quote Originally Posted by Deuteronomy Skaggs View Post

Hi TheDonald, WOW, that is quite a statement from someone I can only presume became a 'former' Presbyterian before the end of his days here. So he prefers the company of Satan, the demons, and the unbelieving wicked to that of the Godhead, the holy angels and the saints? No wonder the Atheists/Humanists have no trouble claiming Twain as one of their own!

~Deut
    Well, I think the point Brother Mark (Twain) was wittily making was that some Christians are so heavenly minded they're no earthly good. You don't mind joining them in worship, but they are too lacking in down to earth balance to be good beer-drinking companions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonald View Post
    Well, I think the point Brother Mark (Twain) was wittily making was that some Christians are so heavenly minded they're no earthly good. You don't mind joining them in worship, but they are too lacking in down to earth balance to be good beer-drinking companions.
    Hi again, TheDonald, that is quite a spin that you've put on those particular words by Mark Twain. I hope for his sake that you are correct!

~Deut
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

Saying 'Preach the Gospel Daily, use
    ...words if necessary' is like saying
    .....'Feed the hungry, use food if
    ....................necessary.'

~Ligon Duncan
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

What life does to us, depends on what life finds in us!

If you are interested in maintaining a certain reputation, a certain social standing, a certain respect, or a certain popularity,
    do not follow Jesus. It's not hard to get along in the world .. as long as we keep the Gospel to ourselves!

Authentic Christian living is difficult and demanding. Expect that! Knowing that God has so much for you to enjoy for all eternity.

~Pastor John D. Grossmann
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

"God deemed it better to bring good from evil; rather than to suffer evil to not exist..."

Augustine
    Jesus said, "Out of the hardness of your hearts Moses gave a writ of divorce; but from the beginning it was not so." How many more things do you suppose are, "From the beginning, NOT so?"

As your life is in His hands, so are the days of your life. But don’t let the sands of time get into the eye of your vision to reach those who sit in darkness. They simply must hear. ~Missionary Jim Elliot
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

Father, take my life, yea, my blood if Thou wilt, and consume it with Thine enveloping fire. I would not save it, for it is not mine to save. Have it Lord, have it all. Pour out my life as an oblation for the world. Blood is only of value as it flows before Thine altar. ~Missionary Jim Elliot
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll, Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.
    Horatio Spafford.

Thread Information