Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama senate seat goes to a Democrat

Alabama senate seat goes to a Democrat

Roy Moore lost his bid for election.

So what does it mean?

Was Moore a deeply flawed candidate who couldn't even win in the deep south?

Or is a Democrat tide brewing, that could flip the House and Senate to the Democrats in 2018?

Discuss!
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

Re: Alabama senate seat goes to a Democrat

He was a shoe in and virtually guaranteed a win - until the sex assault accusations. I don't know if he did any of the things he was accused of or not but I do know that the accusations are the one and only reason Jone's was elected.

Democrat tide? Not happening unless they manage to accuse every republican running for every seat in every race. Jobs are coming back, the economy is on the rise, foreign policy seems to be working so far and more and more Americans are coming around to the idea that America taking care of Americans first actually makes sense.

Just as an aside: I guess innocent until proven guilty has gone the way of the Dodo.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

A NY Post article from an author whom I admire:

Roy Moore needed to lose — but what does it mean for 2018?

By John Podhoretz December 13, 2017

America dodged a bullet in Alabama last night.

A man who was twice removed from his state’s Supreme Court for defying judicial orders, who said Muslims should not be allowed to serve in elective office, who suggested the black family was better off under slavery, and who declared that homosexuality should be illegal — this man will not be in the United States Senate. Thank God.

Note that I didn’t bring up the teenagers. Roy Moore was horribly unfit for high office — for any office — even if you put to one side the credible allegations against him for chasing girls as young as 14.

Democrats had no business winning. The special election for the Alabama Senate seat vacated by Attorney General Jeff Sessions is one pretty much any Republican in the state could have won — except for Roy Moore. No Democrat has won a Senate seat there in a quarter century. Alabama went 62 percent for Donald Trump in 2016.

Truth to tell, Doug Jones didn’t really win it. Roy Moore lost it. The possibility of this despicable goon serving Alabama in Washington was so horrifying to so many Alabamians that Republicans stayed home in droves and Democrats who probably couldn’t have picked Jones out of a lineup on Election Day stampeded to the polls.

Yes, these were special circumstances indeed. But what happened in Alabama last night is a dark portent indeed for Republicans in 2018.

Though they went down to defeat, Democrats in 2017 have been outperforming in special House elections from Georgia to South Carolina to Montana. Then, in November, a statewide election in Virginia that looked close turned into a historic once-in-a-century sweep for Democrats from the governorship to the statehouse.

There is a fired-up Democratic and independent electorate out there wildly unhappy with single-party GOP rule in Washington under Donald Trump — and at the local level as well. All of this follows not only Trump’s surprise victory in 2016 but astounding Republican gains in both national and state legislatures during the Obama years.

The losers in this pre-wave have ranged from a conventional conservative like Republican gubernatorial candidate Ed Gillespie in Virginia to the mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging Moore.

What might this tell us about what Republicans will face in 2018, when all 435 House seats and 34 of 100 Senate seats will be decided on Election Day?

As Clubber Lang says in “Rocky 3,” I predict pain. If a Democrat can win in Alabama and Democrats can win 14 House of Delegates seats in Virginia, few Republicans can be absolutely sure they are safe going into 2018.

The latest Marist poll gives Democrats a 13-point margin when voters are asked whether they would prefer to vote for a Democrat or a Republican next year.

At this stage in 2009, with the 2010 elections coming up in 11 months, Democrats and Republicans were effectively tied. It took Republicans until the end of August in 2010 to get anywhere near the 13-point generic margin. Democrats are there now.

More important, perhaps, they’re setting themselves up for victory by recruiting candidates to run in races against Republicans in so-called safe seats — 209 of them, according to 538.com. This is important because if a nationwide wave breaks for Democrats they will have bodies everywhere that can ride the wave.

Most telling, perhaps, of all the exit-poll data from Alabama was that President Trump’s approval rating among those who turned out to vote was 48 percent, a full 14 points below his vote tally in 2016. So either many people who like him just didn’t turn out for Moore, or Trump is significantly less popular even among Republicans than we have been led to believe.

If Trump can’t break 50 percent approval among voters in Alabama, he’s going to have to do something to get people beyond his solid one-third of the nation to think well of him and his party. Otherwise, as the Alabama results suggest, the GOP is going to be smashed into a million pieces next November.

As a Republican myself, this is a worrisome fact: The latest Marist poll gives Democrats a 13-point margin when voters are asked whether they would prefer to vote for a Democrat or a Republican next year. This suggests there could be a Democrat wave in 2018. It's still 11 months away so a lot could happen.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

You have to take some things he pointed out into account there - Yes, Moore was removed from office more than once because he stood on his principles and faith and it made the people love him even more for it.

Other things he pointed out were blown way out of proportion by leftist ideological spin doctors. Credible allegations? It was nothing but accusations made under very suspicious circumstances. Why would they come out now when Moore has been a huge public figure in Bama for 30 yrs? What proof was provided that make these allegations credible? None whatsoever.

And please remember that running up to the last run of campaigns a Democratic landslide was predicted all down the line and what happened? Republicans won a LOT of seats and even Donald Trump of all people was elected president. ( I'm still in a bit of minor shock over Trump as president. Trump? My God, please help us. )

It's all spin my friend and the exact same kind of spin we've seen for years. The Dems will pull out and use every dirty trick in the book including outright lies and deception and the media - print, broadcast and internet- are their biggest tool.

How many times can people read and hear these kind of lies and fear-mongering before they do what they should? Stop buying their rags and turn the channel.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of what Podhoretzhas written and said. He's not a liberal moonbat by any stretch. He is the guy that claimed that George Bush Jr was "the first great leader of the 21st century" though. I mean...seriously? History has certainly proved him wrong on that one.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

JPod is a conservative. He's just trying to read the tea leaves. Maybe he's right and maybe he's not. For sure, the party out of power picks up seats in off year elections. This is a known phenomena. Also, Trump is not personally popular in a lot of places. How this translates to the 2018 elections we shall wait and see. I myself do not have a good feeling about it...

Isaiah 54

It was a setup from the getgo. Dems are much better at it than repubs are. The oppo research was there and known a long time ago but not released until after Moore was the repub candidate. Without that, he would have won hands down.

I lived in Bama for years and wasn't very fond of this man. He was a flawed candidate in more ways than the allegations. Still, in the overall scheme of things, allowing Jones into office was far worse, IMO, than allowing Moore into office. If the repubs can survive and govern with a 1 seat majority, get the supreme court pick through next year, then win a few seats in 2018, then this will all turn out OK. If not, then we will suffer, the country will suffer, our religious rights will erode even further, and more babies will continue to die. But hey, at least some can say they didn't vote for an imperfect man for office!
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

JPod is enamored with the RHINO’s. Otherwise known as The Swamp.

It’s past time it’s been drained.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Dems are much better at it than repubs are.
    Truth.

The oppo research was there and known a long time ago but not released until after Moore was the repub candidate. Without that, he would have won hands down.
    This is more Bannon nonsense. I really wish he would just go away.

Isaiah 54

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    JPod is enamored with the RHINO’s.
    Perhaps, although I don't think that's so. But where was he factually wrong in the article, above?

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

It means God is in control and He has a way to balance the weights towards His mercy and His justice
    Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Perhaps, although I don't think that's so. But where was he factually wrong in the article, above?
    I don't want to come off as if I'm defending Moore because I don't think he was the right candidate for the republicans in the 1st place. Allegations or no allegations. But the people of Alabama picked him over Strange for whatever reason and now they have to suffer the consequences.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

If Moore had won, he would have ridden his horse up the Senate steps and dropped something beautiful at the top.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Quote Originally Posted by amazzin View Post
    It means God is in control and He has a way to balance the weights towards His mercy and His justice
    Always true!

Isaiah 54

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    This is more Bannon nonsense. I really wish he would just go away.
    Well, there's a reason it came out a couple of weeks before the election. Also, some of those around the accusers stated it had been known a long time. That may or may not have been true. We saw the same thing with Trump the month before he was elected. Its a known tactic to bring out accusations or some old news in the weeks just before a vote.

Thing is, Moore was not the best guy and Trump knew it. That's why he supported Strange to begin with. Strange would have won in a landside.

Its not the end of the road. There's a huge upheaval in the country now over sexual harrassment. It should have been a huge upheaval 30+ years ago. Thankfully, a lot of it is being exposed right now though I don't think all of it is legit. Still, it is good to see the democratic weapon backfire on them too.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    If Moore had won, he would have ridden his horse up the Senate steps and dropped something beautiful at the top.
    A bushel of road apples to share with America?
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Thread Information