View Poll Results: What happened to the 10 tribes of "Israel"?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • They went everywhere.

7 43.75%
  • They went nowhere.

4 25.00%
  • They went into thin air.

0 0%
  • OTHER, or doesn't matter.

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 15 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the 10 lost tribes of the house of Israel?

What happened to the 10 lost tribes of the house of Israel?

there are perhaps others, but the prophets Ezekiel, Hosea, Amos, and Micah have some to say about the house of Israel AND about her counterpart, the house of Judah. Not much is known from a scriptural standpoint about what happened to the 10 tribes of the house of Israel. The book of Hosea, should be an eye opening book about them. So i sort of had fun with my question. Please answer honestly, even if you later change your views.

Blog Entries

Re: What happened to the 10 lost tribes of the house of Israel?

Simple answer:
    Luke 2:36 And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years, having lived with her husband seven years from when she was a virgin, and then as a widow until she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day. And coming up at that very hour she began to give thanks to God and to speak of him to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem.

Note this woman is from one of the "10 lost tribes" yet clearly was living and worshipping in Jerusalem 722 years or more since they were supposedly lost.

briefly, Ezekiel says this:

*[[Eze 37:16]] KJV* Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:

*[[Eze 37:22]] KJV* And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:

I hear much debate about the future of the house of Israel, but a lot of disagreement about what is the house of Israel, from a futuristic standpoint.
    Blessings to all who keeps the saying and the prophecy of his book!
    GB

We can deduce from the blessings given to each tribe by Jacob and Moses in Genesis 49 and Deut 33, who and where the ten Northern tribes are today.

Thinking that they have assimilated with Judah or will never be seen again, is simply a contradiction of scripture and deems God's plans for His people to be a failure.

All the tribes of Israel will return into their own Land, joined by many peoples who have been grafted in for their faith in Jesus. But in order for God's promises to the Patriarchs to be fulfilled, the majority will be actual descendants from them. God knows who they all are. Amos 9:9

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    there are perhaps others, but the prophets Ezekiel, Hosea, Amos, and Micah have some to say about the house of Israel AND about her counterpart, the house of Judah. Not much is known from a scriptural standpoint about what happened to the 10 tribes of the house of Israel. The book of Hosea, should be an eye opening book about them. So i sort of had fun with my question. Please answer honestly, even if you later change your views.
    I voted "other" because I believe some of the 10 tribes dissipated and assimilated, while others merged in with other Jewish groups. Some may have remained in Diaspora, while others may have returned to the land of Israel. At any rate, there is no "tribes of Israel" anymore, nor do I think God intended to keep them as such any longer than necessary. They were "tribes" at the developing stage. Once they became a nation, tribal identities became more of of an ID than an important distinction. After all, God's promise to Abraham concerned not 12 tribes but a single nation.

Ezra and Nehemiah, as well as other NT references show the 'lost 10 tribes' were never lost. That phrase, like the bermuda triangle, bigfoot, and atlantis; have become urban legends.

Following the return from Assyrian/Babylonian exile, scriptures are clear all 12 tribes are represented in the land.
    From those returned 12 tribes, we find all of the tribal references in the post-exile OT and NT passages of; Asher, Gad, Zebulon, Ephraim, Manasseh, Simeon, Benjamin, Levi, etc.

What I am exploring is Hosea 1.

*[[Hos 1:4]] KJV* And the LORD said unto him, Call his name Jezreel; for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezreel upon the house of Jehu, and will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel.
    *[[Hos 1:5]] KJV* And it shall come to pass at that day, that I will break the bow of Israel in the valley of Jezreel.

There it says that "in a little while, I will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel" AND
    SECONDLY, that God would avenge the blood of jezreel upon the house of Jehu. What does this 2nd part mean and how does that relate to the first part. I don't think the 2nd part can bee properly understood without understanding the first part. The 2nd part says "at that day" connecting both parts/ verses together.

We know that the kingdom of Israel ceased at the hand of the Assyrians, when Hezekiah was king of Judah [the listed time of Hosea's prophecy]. The bible does not tell us much about when and where and how the Assyrians defeated Israel. I am not funding anything that this took place in the valley of jezreel. So that would mean that this has a future application. The question is what part? There seems to really be 3 parts to these verses.
    1. Kingdom of Israel shall cease.
    2. Avenge the blood of jezreel.
    3. Break the bow of Israel there.

Its v.11 that tells us that at least one part is [even in ] the future.

*[[Hos 1:11]] KJV* Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land: for great shall be the day of Jezreel.

I think most people realize that Megiddo lies in the valley of Jezreel. So, with that we can see that the division of the kingdom's of Israel and Judah, will remain until then. More next time.
    GB

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Ezra and Nehemiah, as well as other NT references show the 'lost 10 tribes' were never lost. That phrase, like the bermuda triangle, bigfoot, and atlantis; have become urban legends.

Following the return from Assyrian/Babylonian exile, scriptures are clear all 12 tribes are represented in the land.
    From those returned 12 tribes, we find all of the tribal references in the post-exile OT and NT passages of; Asher, Gad, Zebulon, Ephraim, Manasseh, Simeon, Benjamin, Levi, etc.
    Not saying I disagree with you, but I'd like to know what your references are? I've long tried to prove that the 10 lost tribes still existed in some form after the captivities. But it's been a hopeless endeavor for me. The Jews themselves seem to think that they are gone, or assimilated. I think they just merged in with the group we call "the Jewish People."

The book of 2 Esdras [The Greek name for Ezra], although not part of the Bible lexicon, has some interesting information in it. Particularly in 2 Esdras 13:39-46 where it says that the 10 Northern tribes of Israel, decided amongst themselves to leave Assyria and travel to a distant uninhabited land:

In Ezra’s vision, he saw a great company of people:

2 Esdras 13:47-50 The peaceful company is the 10 tribes. [The House of Israel] They have assembled along with your people, [The House of Judah;the Jews], all those who are survivors still in the Land. Isaiah 6:13-15
    When He [Jesus] destroys the army of the nations, then He will protect His people and show them many signs.

2 Esdras 13:11-13 A stream of fire, the breath of flame, poured from His mouth and fell on the enormous army advancing to attack. They were totally burned up.
    After that, the Man [Jesus] came down from the mountain, Zechariah 14:3, and summoned to Himself a peaceful company of people, some with joy on their faces, some with sorrow.

2 Esdras 15:3-9 Do not be afraid of plots against you, or troubled by the unbelief of your opponents, for all unbelievers will die.
    Beware, says the Lord, for I am letting loose over all the earth terrible evils, sword, famine, death and destruction because evil men have spread their wickedness the whole world over.
    Therefore, I shall no longer keep silent, I will hear the pleas from all the innocent blood that has been shed.

2 Esdras 15:14-19 Woe to the world and all its inhabitants! Stable government will be at an end. Men driven by famine will attack their neighbours, no pity will restrain them.

2 Esdras 16:40 My people, listen to My words; get ready for battle and when the calamities surround you, behave as though you were strangers on earth.
    2 Esdras 16:45 For all who labour, labour in vain.
    2 Esdras 16:51-52 Therefore, do not imitate wickedness or her deeds. In a very short time she will be swept away from the earth and the reign of justice will begin.
    Reference: Revised English Bible Apocrypha. Verses abridged.

My people: every faithful Christian: prepare yourselves, keep the faith and persevere until the Lord Returns

One should be able to see that:

*[[Hos 1:11]] KJV* Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land: for great shall be the day of Jezreel.
    AND,
    *[[Eze 37:22]] KJV* And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:

Are the same event. So what we now can see about Hosea 1:4-5 is that all three parts are parts of the same event, the battle of Armageddon. The thing that we ought to see is that causing "the kingdom of the house of Israel" to cease is not a referee to what the Assyrians did to them but refers to the final dissolution of there being two kingdoms. And the same thing is meant by "breaking the bow of Israel". This points all the way back to when the kingdom divided between Israel and Judah. There are several good verses that could be discussed, but the point being is that the 10 tribes were separated from God, [they stopped being his people] the moment that separation took place.

*[[Hos 2:23]] KJV* And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.

Here it says that the Lord would show mercy to "her who had known no mercy". But, most importantly it shows that they will return to being God's people "in the [same] place where it was did unto them, ye are not my people". I.e. at Armageddon, in the valley of Jezreel. God has a wonderful plan of restoration. What (behind the scenes event] will take place there, besides the obvious??? "I will avenge the blood of Jezreel on the house of Jehu. This sounds like the revenge is directed at the house of Jehu, but that is not the case. When you look at the life of King Jehu of Israel, he, with some help from Elisha, smote the whole house of Ahab and the worship of Baal:

*[[2Ki 9:7]] KJV* And thou shalt smite the house of Ahab thy master, that I may avenge the blood of my servants the prophets, and the blood of all the servants of the LORD, at the hand of Jezebel.
    *[[2Ki 9:8]] KJV* For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel:

But listen to what he did NOT do:

*[[2Ki 10:28]] KJV* Thus Jehu destroyed Baal out of Israel.
    *[[2Ki 10:29]] KJV* Howbeit from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, Jehu departed not from after them, to wit, the golden calves that were in Bethel, and that were in Dan.

Removing the golden calves that were at Dan and Bethel, would have meant restoring the kingdom back as a single kingdom with everyone worshipping at Jerusalem. That did not happen. But what we see is that Israel and Judah will reunite under one king, David, as a result of Armageddon. When the scriptures speak of "in the place where it was said unto them, ye are not my people, THERE shall they be called MY PEOPLE". THIS whole book of Hosea is not about bringing the Gentiles into the family of God, but rather the restoration of United kingdom of Israel. And the scriptures make it clear that it was the worship of Baal that caused the split in the first place. And here we see the prophesied restoration of the kingdom before the kingdom of the house of Israel ever fell. It makes the point that they were never [as a separated] kingdom, recipients of God 's mercy. Armageddon will put a once and for all time end to the worship of Baal. What Jehu did, was simply not enough to get the job done. But the viability and divisive nature of idolatry has long enduring effects. Satan's kingdom is a divided kingdom!
    GB

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The Covenant or Contract of Law of Sinai sets forth the penalties for breaking this Contract. The last and most awful we read about in Leviticus 26:33-39. (See also Deuteronomy 28:63-65)

33 "And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.
    34 Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.
    35 As long as it lieth desolate it shall rest; because it did not rest in your sabbaths, when ye dwelt upon it.
    36 And upon them that are left alive of you I will send a faintness into their hearts in the lands of their enemies; and the sound of a shaken leaf shall chase them; and they shall flee, as fleeing from a sword; and they shall fall when none pursueth.
    37 And they shall fall one upon another, as it were before a sword, when none pursueth: and ye shall have no power to stand before your enemies.
    38 And ye shall perish among the heathen, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up.
    39 And they that are left of you shall pine away in their iniquity in your enemies' lands; and also in the iniquities of their fathers shall they pine away with them."

As promised by God, for He EVER keeps His promises whether of blessing or of curse, the 10 northern Tribes were carried off by Assyria. Today they are dispersed, "... among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; ... ." (Deuteronomy 28:64). But the prophets, and Hosea, which the OP addresses, promise that in due time, when the chastisement is over and the time of the Gentiles is full, Israel will again be restored. Various studies have shown that while a Gentile who is moved to a foreign country, will, by the third generation, be fully assimilated into that nation. But not so the Jew. For some inexplicable reason the Jew maintains his/her identity, and they cleave together in their lands of dispersion. This of course is to their grief, because they are a distinct group and can easily be targeted by oppressors. But keep their identity they do - even when it is but a cultural one. And further to this, God knows the lineage of every Jew who ever lived.

If God is to be believed, the 10 northern Tribes are scattered throughout the world including Palestine. A taste of this can be seen in Acts Chapter 2 when Jews in dispersion, who had even forgotten their mother tongue of Hebrew, gathered to Jerusalem for the Feast of Weeks - Pentecost. Peter addresses in Acts 2:14, "... Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem." But in verse 22 he is more specific. It is in verse 22; "Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you ... ." And who were these men (1) dwellers in Judea, (2) dwellers in Jerusalem, and (3) men of Israel? Verse 5 answers; "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven." And verse shows that Hebrew was a forgotten language among them as, "... because that every man heard them speak in his own language."

This attests to the power of God's curses. These men were "devout", they were Jews, they had traveled far to keep the Law of Pentecost, BUT THEY HAD LOST THEIR MOTHER TONGUE AND COULD NOT RETURN TO ISRAEL! And so it is today. Israel has 6.6 million Jews living there. Although no man can really know, the best studies show the Jewish population of the world as 17.5 million. How come the estimated balance of 11 million do not return to their Land? There can be no other reason than it is by God's power to keep the curses of the Covenant of Sinai.

And then, we have not yet mentioned all those Jews who died in Egypt before the Exodus, those who fell in the wilderness for unbelief and rebellion (ca. 600,000), and all those who have died in captivity since the Assyrian, and later, the Babylonian deportations. But God knows each and everyone, even if they languish in Hades. These all died in captivity. The number is astronomical. Great is the chastisement of Israel, but even greater will be their restoration after Christ returns.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Not saying I disagree with you, but I'd like to know what your references are? I've long tried to prove that the 10 lost tribes still existed in some form after the captivities. But it's been a hopeless endeavor for me. The Jews themselves seem to think that they are gone, or assimilated. I think they just merged in with the group we call "the Jewish People."
    First, we need to define who the 10 tribes are.

Typically it is concensus that the Assyrians captured and exiled the Northern Kingdom of Israel; and later; the Babylonians captured and exiled the Sourther Kingdom of Judah.

The Southern Kingdom of Judah is represented usually as Judah and Benjamin.
    All other tribes are the Northern Kingdom of Israel.
    The tribe of Levi was not alotted a specific land area; but was designated for priestly service throughout the northern and southern kingdoms in the cities.
    So when referencing Levi, some Levites would have been taken captive with the Northern Kingdom Assyrian conquest; and other Levites would have been taken captive with the Southern Kingdom Babylonians conquest.
    We are told that the Levites were not given a tribale land alotment; but it does tell us that the Levites were given 48 cities; some in the N-Kingdom; some in the S-Kingdom; (Josh 13-14, Numb 35) so the Levites really strattle the fence for this discussion. If anything the phrase '10 lost tribe' should really be the '9 lost tribes' and take Levi out of the mix, since they were interspersed; but legends form and stick; so 10 it is; even though the Levites were inersperced preventing them from being lost as a people group.

With all of that out of the way; if we are going to have '10' lost tribes; we would have:
    -Reuben
    -Simeon
    -Levi (partially...depending on if you are counting tribes as people/descendents of Levi or if you are counting just land tribal inheritance)
    -Issachar
    -Zebulun
    -Dan
    -Naphtali
    -Gad
    -Asher
    -Joseph (split via sons Ephraim and Manasseh)
    (so you end up with 10 or 11; depending on how you choose to count part of Levi; vs counting Joseph single (as a son, or Ephraem and Mannaseh separate as tribal land holders of Joseph's double portion inheritence)

Of the unlost Sourthern Kingdom of Judah; we have:
    -Judah
    -Benjamin
    -Levi (partially again depending on if you are counting sons/descendents or land tribal inheritence)

Now to the meat of your question.

If the '10 tribes' people were truly lost; following the Assyrian captivity; and the people from those tribes never returned from captivity back into the Holy Lands; we should not find any references to the 12 tribes existing in the land after the return from Babylonian exile, nor should be find any examples of identified peoples or groups decended from any of the lost 10 tribes....because hey, the claim is they were all lost, right?

OK, Let's take a look at some post-exile return passages; both in the O.T. and N.T. below. I'll leave any personal commentary out of it; and just ask you this question.
    Do you see any members of the northern 10 tribes identified and represented below; after the return from Babylonian exile? If they are found and identified, how can they also be lost prior to the return from captivity?

2 Chronicles 15:9: tells us that members of the Northern tribes of Ephraim, Manasseh, and Simeon fled to the Southern Kingdom of Judah during the reign of Asa prior to the Assyrian exile. Did they remain and continue there ancestral distinction, we are not told any further details.

2 Choricles 15
    15:9 And he gathered all Judah and Benjamin, and the strangers with them out of Ephraim and Manasseh, and out of Simeon: for they fell to him out of Israel in abundance

Joshua 15, 19, I Chron 4, tell us again, that Simeon was also a part of the Southern kingdom of Judah.

I Chronicles 4
    41 And these written by name came in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah, and smote their tents, and the habitations that were found there, and destroyed them utterly unto this day, and dwelt in their rooms: because there was pasture there for their flocks.

4: 42 And some of them, even of the sons of Simeon, five hundred men

Joshua
    19:1 And the second lot came forth to Simeon, even for the tribe of the children of Simeon according to their families: and their inheritance was within the inheritance of the children of Judah.
    19:9 Out of the portion of the children of Judah was the inheritance of the children of Simeon: for the part of the children of Judah was too much for them: therefore the children of Simeon had their inheritance within the inheritance of them.

2 Chornicicles 30, 34 tells us that some of the northern tribes were spared from the Assyrian captivity during the reign if Hezekiah; namely Dan, Ephraim, Manasseh, Asher, Zebulon, Issachar.

2 Chronicles 30
    30:1 And Hezekiah sent to all Israel and Judah, and wrote letters also to Ephraim and Manasseh, that they should come to the house of the Lord at Jerusalem
    30:5 So they established a decree to make proclamation throughout all Israel, from Beersheba even to Dan, that they should come to keep the passover unto the Lord God of Israel at Jerusalem
    30:6 So the posts went with the letters from the king and his princes throughout all Israel and Judah
    30:10-11 So the posts passed from city to city through the country of Ephraim and Manasseh even unto Zebulun: but they laughed them to scorn, and mocked them. Nevertheless divers of Asher and Manasseh and of Zebulun humbled themselves, and came to Jerusalem.
    30:18 For a multitude of the people, even many of Ephraim, and Manasseh, Issachar, and Zebulun, had not cleansed themselves, yet did they eat the passover otherwise than it was written.

2 Chronicles 34
    34:5 And (Judah's king Josiah) burnt the bones of the priests upon their altars, and cleansed Judah and Jerusalem. And so did he in the cities of Manasseh, and Ephraim, and Simeon, even unto Naphtali
    34:9 9 And when they came to Hilkiah the high priest, they delivered the money that was brought into the house of God, which the Levites that kept the doors had gathered of the hand of Manasseh and Ephraim, and of all the remnant of Israel

Ezra 2:70 So the priests, and the Levites, and some of the people, and the singers, and the porters, and the Nethinims, dwelt in their cities, and all Israel in their cities.

Ezra 3:1 And when the seventh month was come, and the children of Israel were in the cities, the people gathered themselves together as one man to Jerusalem.

Ezra 6
    6:15 And this house (post-exilic Zerubabbel's Temple) was finished on the third day of the month Adar, which was in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king.
    6:16 And the children of Israel, the priests, and the Levites, and the rest of the children of the captivity, kept the dedication of this house of God with joy.
    6:17 And offered at the dedication of this house of God an hundred bullocks, two hundred rams, four hundred lambs; and for a sin offering for all Israel, twelve he goats, according to the number of the tribes of Israel.
    6:18 And they set the priests in their divisions, and the Levites in their courses, for the service of God, which is at Jerusalem; as it is written in the book of Moses.
    6:19 And the children of the captivity kept the passover upon the fourteenth day of the first month.
    6:20 For the priests and the Levites were purified together, all of them were pure, and killed the passover for all the children of the captivity, and for their brethren the priests, and for themselves.

8:35 Also the children of those that had been carried away, which were come out of the captivity, offered burnt offerings unto the God of Israel, twelve bullocks for all Israel, ninety and six rams, seventy and seven lambs, twelve he goats for a sin offering: all this was a burnt offering unto the LORD.

(10 families, one from each of the 10 tribes of Israel)
    10:25 Moreover of Israel: of the sons of Parosh; Ramiah, and Jeziah, and Malchiah, and Miamin, and Eleazar, and Malchijah, and Benaiah.
    10:26 And of the sons of Elam; Mattaniah, Zechariah, and Jehiel, and Abdi, and Jeremoth, and Eliah.
    10:27 And of the sons of Zattu; Elioenai, Eliashib, Mattaniah, and Jeremoth, and Zabad, and Aziza.
    10:28 Of the sons also of Bebai; Jehohanan, Hananiah, Zabbai, and Athlai.
    10:29 And of the sons of Bani; Meshullam, Malluch, and Adaiah, Jashub, and Sheal, and Ramoth.
    10:30 And of the sons of Pahathmoab; Adna, and Chelal, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattaniah, Bezaleel, and Binnui, and Manasseh.
    10:31 And of the sons of Harim; Eliezer, Ishijah, Malchiah, Shemaiah, Shimeon,
    10:32 Benjamin, Malluch, and Shemariah.
    10:33 Of the sons of Hashum; Mattenai, Mattathah, Zabad, Eliphelet, Jeremai, Manasseh, and Shimei.
    10:34 Of the sons of Bani; Maadai, Amram, and Uel,
    10:35 Benaiah, Bedeiah, Chelluh,
    10:36 Vaniah, Meremoth, Eliashib,
    10:37 Mattaniah, Mattenai, and Jaasau,
    10:38 And Bani, and Binnui, Shimei,
    10:39 And Shelemiah, and Nathan, and Adaiah,
    10:40 Machnadebai, Shashai, Sharai,
    10:41 Azareel, and Shelemiah, Shemariah,
    10:42 Shallum, Amariah, and Joseph.
    10:43 Of the sons of Nebo; Jeiel, Mattithiah, Zabad, Zebina, Jadau, and Joel, Benaiah.

Nehemiah 7 (mentions all the children of Israel - Northern tribes returned from Captibity)
    7:7 Who came with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Azariah, Raamiah, Nahamani, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispereth, Bigvai, Nehum, Baanah. The number, I say, of the men of the people of Israel was this;
    7:8 The children of Parosh, two thousand an hundred seventy and two.
    7:9 The children of Shephatiah, three hundred seventy and two.
    7:10 The children of Arah, six hundred fifty and two.
    7:11 The children of Pahathmoab, of the children of Jeshua and Joab, two thousand and eight hundred and eighteen.
    7:12 The children of Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
    7:13 The children of Zattu, eight hundred forty and five.
    7:14 The children of Zaccai, seven hundred and threescore.
    7:15 The children of Binnui, six hundred forty and eight.
    7:16 The children of Bebai, six hundred twenty and eight.
    7:17 The children of Azgad, two thousand three hundred twenty and two.
    7:18 The children of Adonikam, six hundred threescore and seven.
    7:19 The children of Bigvai, two thousand threescore and seven.
    7:20 The children of Adin, six hundred fifty and five.
    7:21 The children of Ater of Hezekiah, ninety and eight.
    7:22 The children of Hashum, three hundred twenty and eight.
    7:23 The children of Bezai, three hundred twenty and four.
    7:24 The children of Hariph, an hundred and twelve.
    7:25 The children of Gibeon, ninety and five.
    7:26 The men of Bethlehem and Netophah, an hundred fourscore and eight.
    7:27 The men of Anathoth, an hundred twenty and eight.
    7:28 The men of Bethazmaveth, forty and two.
    7:29 The men of Kirjathjearim, Chephirah, and Beeroth, seven hundred forty and three.
    7:30 The men of Ramah and Gaba, six hundred twenty and one.
    7:31 The men of Michmas, an hundred and twenty and two.
    7:32 The men of Bethel and Ai, an hundred twenty and three.
    7:33 The men of the other Nebo, fifty and two.
    7:34 The children of the other Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
    7:35 The children of Harim, three hundred and twenty.
    7:36 The children of Jericho, three hundred forty and five.
    7:37 The children of Lod, Hadid, and Ono, seven hundred twenty and one.
    7:38 The children of Senaah, three thousand nine hundred and thirty.
    7:39 The priests: the children of Jedaiah, of the house of Jeshua, nine hundred seventy and three.
    7:40 The children of Immer, a thousand fifty and two.
    7:41 The children of Pashur, a thousand two hundred forty and seven.
    7:42 The children of Harim, a thousand and seventeen.
    7:43 The Levites: the children of Jeshua, of Kadmiel, and of the children of Hodevah, seventy and four.
    7:44 The singers: the children of Asaph, an hundred forty and eight.
    7:45 The porters: the children of Shallum, the children of Ater, the children of Talmon, the children of Akkub, the children of Hatita, the children of Shobai, an hundred thirty and eight.
    7:46 The Nethinims: the children of Ziha, the children of Hashupha, the children of Tabbaoth,
    7:47 The children of Keros, the children of Sia, the children of Padon,
    7:48 The children of Lebana, the children of Hagaba, the children of Shalmai,
    7:49 The children of Hanan, the children of Giddel, the children of Gahar,
    7:50 The children of Reaiah, the children of Rezin, the children of Nekoda,
    7:51 The children of Gazzam, the children of Uzza, the children of Phaseah,
    7:52 The children of Besai, the children of Meunim, the children of Nephishesim,
    7:53 The children of Bakbuk, the children of Hakupha, the children of Harhur,
    7:54 The children of Bazlith, the children of Mehida, the children of Harsha,
    7:55 The children of Barkos, the children of Sisera, the children of Tamah,
    7:56 The children of Neziah, the children of Hatipha.
    7:57 The children of Solomon's servants: the children of Sotai, the children of Sophereth, the children of Perida,
    7:58 The children of Jaala, the children of Darkon, the children of Giddel,
    7:59 The children of Shephatiah, the children of Hattil, the children of Pochereth of Zebaim, the children of Amon.
    7:60 All the Nethinims, and the children of Solomon's servants, were three hundred ninety and two.
    7:61 And these were they which went up also from Telmelah, Telharesha, Cherub, Addon, and Immer: but they could not shew their father's house, nor their seed, whether they were of Israel.
    7:62 The children of Delaiah, the children of Tobiah, the children of Nekoda, six hundred forty and two.
    7:63 And of the priests: the children of Habaiah, the children of Koz, the children of Barzillai, which took one of the daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite to wife, and was called after their name.
    7:64 These sought their register among those that were reckoned by genealogy, but it was not found: therefore were they, as polluted, put from the priesthood.
    7:65 And the Tirshatha said unto them, that they should not eat of the most holy things, till there stood up a priest with Urim and Thummim.
    7:66 The whole congregation together was forty and two thousand three hundred and threescore,
    7:67 Beside their manservants and their maidservants, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and they had two hundred forty and five singing men and singing women.
    7:68 Their horses, seven hundred thirty and six: their mules, two hundred forty and five:
    7:69 Their camels, four hundred thirty and five: six thousand seven hundred and twenty asses.
    7:70 And some of the chief of the fathers gave unto the work. The Tirshatha gave to the treasure a thousand drams of gold, fifty basons, five hundred and thirty priests' garments.
    7:71 And some of the chief of the fathers gave to the treasure of the work twenty thousand drams of gold, and two thousand and two hundred pound of silver.
    7:72 And that which the rest of the people gave was twenty thousand drams of gold, and two thousand pound of silver, and threescore and seven priests' garments.
    7:73 So the priests, and the Levites, and the porters, and the singers, and some of the people, and the Nethinims, and all Israel, dwelt in their cities; and when the seventh month came, the children of Israel were in their cities.

Nehemiah 12:47 And all Israel in the days of Zerubbabel, and in the days of Nehemiah, gave the portions of the singers and the porters, every day his portion: and they sanctified holy things unto the Levites; and the Levites sanctified them unto the children of Aaron.

Moving on to the N.T. we find:

Mark 5:1 And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes.

Luke 2:36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser:

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations

If the 10 northern tribes were lost by the time of the return for Babylonian Captivity; I have much trouble rectifying that premise; against all of the passages above; that seemed to know exactly where they were.
    Each one be your own berean hereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    First, we need to define who the 10 tribes are.

Typically it is concensus that the Assyrians captured and exiled the Northern Kingdom of Israel; and later; the Babylonians captured and exiled the Sourther Kingdom of Judah.

The Southern Kingdom of Judah is represented usually as Judah and Benjamin.
    All other tribes are the Northern Kingdom of Israel.
    The tribe of Levi was not alotted a specific land area; but was designated for priestly service throughout the northern and southern kingdoms in the cities.
    So when referencing Levi, some Levites would have been taken captive with the Northern Kingdom Assyrian conquest; and other Levites would have been taken captive with the Southern Kingdom Babylonians conquest.
    We are told that the Levites were not given a tribale land alotment; but it does tell us that the Levites were given 48 cities; some in the N-Kingdom; some in the S-Kingdom; (Josh 13-14, Numb 35) so the Levites really strattle the fence for this discussion. If anything the phrase '10 lost tribe' should really be the '9 lost tribes' and take Levi out of the mix, since they were interspersed; but legends form and stick; so 10 it is; even though the Levites were inersperced preventing them from being lost as a people group.

With all of that out of the way; if we are going to have '10' lost tribes; we would have:
    -Reuben
    -Simeon
    -Levi (partially...depending on if you are counting tribes as people/descendents of Levi or if you are counting just land tribal inheritance)
    -Issachar
    -Zebulun
    -Dan
    -Naphtali
    -Gad
    -Asher
    -Joseph (split via sons Ephraim and Manasseh)
    (so you end up with 10 or 11; depending on how you choose to count part of Levi; vs counting Joseph single (as a son, or Ephraem and Mannaseh separate as tribal land holders of Joseph's double portion inheritence)

Of the unlost Sourthern Kingdom of Judah; we have:
    -Judah
    -Benjamin
    -Levi (partially again depending on if you are counting sons/descendents or land tribal inheritence)

Now to the meat of your question.

If the '10 tribes' people were truly lost; following the Assyrian captivity; and the people from those tribes never returned from captivity back into the Holy Lands; we should not find any references to the 12 tribes existing in the land after the return from Babylonian exile, nor should be find any examples of identified peoples or groups decended from any of the lost 10 tribes....because hey, the claim is they were all lost, right?

OK, Let's take a look at some post-exile return passages; both in the O.T. and N.T. below. I'll leave any personal commentary out of it; and just ask you this question.
    Do you see any members of the northern 10 tribes identified and represented below; after the return from Babylonian exile? If they are found and identified, how can they also be lost prior to the return from captivity?

2 Chronicles 15:9: tells us that members of the Northern tribes of Ephraim, Manasseh, and Simeon fled to the Southern Kingdom of Judah during the reign of Asa prior to the Assyrian exile. Did they remain and continue there ancestral distinction, we are not told any further details.

2 Choricles 15
    15:9 And he gathered all Judah and Benjamin, and the strangers with them out of Ephraim and Manasseh, and out of Simeon: for they fell to him out of Israel in abundance

Joshua 15, 19, I Chron 4, tell us again, that Simeon was also a part of the Southern kingdom of Judah.

I Chronicles 4
    41 And these written by name came in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah, and smote their tents, and the habitations that were found there, and destroyed them utterly unto this day, and dwelt in their rooms: because there was pasture there for their flocks.

4: 42 And some of them, even of the sons of Simeon, five hundred men

Joshua
    19:1 And the second lot came forth to Simeon, even for the tribe of the children of Simeon according to their families: and their inheritance was within the inheritance of the children of Judah.
    19:9 Out of the portion of the children of Judah was the inheritance of the children of Simeon: for the part of the children of Judah was too much for them: therefore the children of Simeon had their inheritance within the inheritance of them.

2 Chornicicles 30, 34 tells us that some of the northern tribes were spared from the Assyrian captivity during the reign if Hezekiah; namely Dan, Ephraim, Manasseh, Asher, Zebulon, Issachar.

2 Chronicles 30
    30:1 And Hezekiah sent to all Israel and Judah, and wrote letters also to Ephraim and Manasseh, that they should come to the house of the Lord at Jerusalem
    30:5 So they established a decree to make proclamation throughout all Israel, from Beersheba even to Dan, that they should come to keep the passover unto the Lord God of Israel at Jerusalem
    30:6 So the posts went with the letters from the king and his princes throughout all Israel and Judah
    30:10-11 So the posts passed from city to city through the country of Ephraim and Manasseh even unto Zebulun: but they laughed them to scorn, and mocked them. Nevertheless divers of Asher and Manasseh and of Zebulun humbled themselves, and came to Jerusalem.
    30:18 For a multitude of the people, even many of Ephraim, and Manasseh, Issachar, and Zebulun, had not cleansed themselves, yet did they eat the passover otherwise than it was written.

2 Chronicles 34
    34:5 And (Judah's king Josiah) burnt the bones of the priests upon their altars, and cleansed Judah and Jerusalem. And so did he in the cities of Manasseh, and Ephraim, and Simeon, even unto Naphtali
    34:9 9 And when they came to Hilkiah the high priest, they delivered the money that was brought into the house of God, which the Levites that kept the doors had gathered of the hand of Manasseh and Ephraim, and of all the remnant of Israel

Ezra 2:70 So the priests, and the Levites, and some of the people, and the singers, and the porters, and the Nethinims, dwelt in their cities, and all Israel in their cities.

Ezra 3:1 And when the seventh month was come, and the children of Israel were in the cities, the people gathered themselves together as one man to Jerusalem.

Ezra 6
    6:15 And this house (post-exilic Zerubabbel's Temple) was finished on the third day of the month Adar, which was in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king.
    6:16 And the children of Israel, the priests, and the Levites, and the rest of the children of the captivity, kept the dedication of this house of God with joy.
    6:17 And offered at the dedication of this house of God an hundred bullocks, two hundred rams, four hundred lambs; and for a sin offering for all Israel, twelve he goats, according to the number of the tribes of Israel.
    6:18 And they set the priests in their divisions, and the Levites in their courses, for the service of God, which is at Jerusalem; as it is written in the book of Moses.
    6:19 And the children of the captivity kept the passover upon the fourteenth day of the first month.
    6:20 For the priests and the Levites were purified together, all of them were pure, and killed the passover for all the children of the captivity, and for their brethren the priests, and for themselves.

8:35 Also the children of those that had been carried away, which were come out of the captivity, offered burnt offerings unto the God of Israel, twelve bullocks for all Israel, ninety and six rams, seventy and seven lambs, twelve he goats for a sin offering: all this was a burnt offering unto the LORD.

(10 families, one from each of the 10 tribes of Israel)
    10:25 Moreover of Israel: of the sons of Parosh; Ramiah, and Jeziah, and Malchiah, and Miamin, and Eleazar, and Malchijah, and Benaiah.
    10:26 And of the sons of Elam; Mattaniah, Zechariah, and Jehiel, and Abdi, and Jeremoth, and Eliah.
    10:27 And of the sons of Zattu; Elioenai, Eliashib, Mattaniah, and Jeremoth, and Zabad, and Aziza.
    10:28 Of the sons also of Bebai; Jehohanan, Hananiah, Zabbai, and Athlai.
    10:29 And of the sons of Bani; Meshullam, Malluch, and Adaiah, Jashub, and Sheal, and Ramoth.
    10:30 And of the sons of Pahathmoab; Adna, and Chelal, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattaniah, Bezaleel, and Binnui, and Manasseh.
    10:31 And of the sons of Harim; Eliezer, Ishijah, Malchiah, Shemaiah, Shimeon,
    10:32 Benjamin, Malluch, and Shemariah.
    10:33 Of the sons of Hashum; Mattenai, Mattathah, Zabad, Eliphelet, Jeremai, Manasseh, and Shimei.
    10:34 Of the sons of Bani; Maadai, Amram, and Uel,
    10:35 Benaiah, Bedeiah, Chelluh,
    10:36 Vaniah, Meremoth, Eliashib,
    10:37 Mattaniah, Mattenai, and Jaasau,
    10:38 And Bani, and Binnui, Shimei,
    10:39 And Shelemiah, and Nathan, and Adaiah,
    10:40 Machnadebai, Shashai, Sharai,
    10:41 Azareel, and Shelemiah, Shemariah,
    10:42 Shallum, Amariah, and Joseph.
    10:43 Of the sons of Nebo; Jeiel, Mattithiah, Zabad, Zebina, Jadau, and Joel, Benaiah.

Nehemiah 7 (mentions all the children of Israel - Northern tribes returned from Captibity)
    7:7 Who came with Zerubbabel, Jeshua, Nehemiah, Azariah, Raamiah, Nahamani, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispereth, Bigvai, Nehum, Baanah. The number, I say, of the men of the people of Israel was this;
    7:8 The children of Parosh, two thousand an hundred seventy and two.
    7:9 The children of Shephatiah, three hundred seventy and two.
    7:10 The children of Arah, six hundred fifty and two.
    7:11 The children of Pahathmoab, of the children of Jeshua and Joab, two thousand and eight hundred and eighteen.
    7:12 The children of Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
    7:13 The children of Zattu, eight hundred forty and five.
    7:14 The children of Zaccai, seven hundred and threescore.
    7:15 The children of Binnui, six hundred forty and eight.
    7:16 The children of Bebai, six hundred twenty and eight.
    7:17 The children of Azgad, two thousand three hundred twenty and two.
    7:18 The children of Adonikam, six hundred threescore and seven.
    7:19 The children of Bigvai, two thousand threescore and seven.
    7:20 The children of Adin, six hundred fifty and five.
    7:21 The children of Ater of Hezekiah, ninety and eight.
    7:22 The children of Hashum, three hundred twenty and eight.
    7:23 The children of Bezai, three hundred twenty and four.
    7:24 The children of Hariph, an hundred and twelve.
    7:25 The children of Gibeon, ninety and five.
    7:26 The men of Bethlehem and Netophah, an hundred fourscore and eight.
    7:27 The men of Anathoth, an hundred twenty and eight.
    7:28 The men of Bethazmaveth, forty and two.
    7:29 The men of Kirjathjearim, Chephirah, and Beeroth, seven hundred forty and three.
    7:30 The men of Ramah and Gaba, six hundred twenty and one.
    7:31 The men of Michmas, an hundred and twenty and two.
    7:32 The men of Bethel and Ai, an hundred twenty and three.
    7:33 The men of the other Nebo, fifty and two.
    7:34 The children of the other Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
    7:35 The children of Harim, three hundred and twenty.
    7:36 The children of Jericho, three hundred forty and five.
    7:37 The children of Lod, Hadid, and Ono, seven hundred twenty and one.
    7:38 The children of Senaah, three thousand nine hundred and thirty.
    7:39 The priests: the children of Jedaiah, of the house of Jeshua, nine hundred seventy and three.
    7:40 The children of Immer, a thousand fifty and two.
    7:41 The children of Pashur, a thousand two hundred forty and seven.
    7:42 The children of Harim, a thousand and seventeen.
    7:43 The Levites: the children of Jeshua, of Kadmiel, and of the children of Hodevah, seventy and four.
    7:44 The singers: the children of Asaph, an hundred forty and eight.
    7:45 The porters: the children of Shallum, the children of Ater, the children of Talmon, the children of Akkub, the children of Hatita, the children of Shobai, an hundred thirty and eight.
    7:46 The Nethinims: the children of Ziha, the children of Hashupha, the children of Tabbaoth,
    7:47 The children of Keros, the children of Sia, the children of Padon,
    7:48 The children of Lebana, the children of Hagaba, the children of Shalmai,
    7:49 The children of Hanan, the children of Giddel, the children of Gahar,
    7:50 The children of Reaiah, the children of Rezin, the children of Nekoda,
    7:51 The children of Gazzam, the children of Uzza, the children of Phaseah,
    7:52 The children of Besai, the children of Meunim, the children of Nephishesim,
    7:53 The children of Bakbuk, the children of Hakupha, the children of Harhur,
    7:54 The children of Bazlith, the children of Mehida, the children of Harsha,
    7:55 The children of Barkos, the children of Sisera, the children of Tamah,
    7:56 The children of Neziah, the children of Hatipha.
    7:57 The children of Solomon's servants: the children of Sotai, the children of Sophereth, the children of Perida,
    7:58 The children of Jaala, the children of Darkon, the children of Giddel,
    7:59 The children of Shephatiah, the children of Hattil, the children of Pochereth of Zebaim, the children of Amon.
    7:60 All the Nethinims, and the children of Solomon's servants, were three hundred ninety and two.
    7:61 And these were they which went up also from Telmelah, Telharesha, Cherub, Addon, and Immer: but they could not shew their father's house, nor their seed, whether they were of Israel.
    7:62 The children of Delaiah, the children of Tobiah, the children of Nekoda, six hundred forty and two.
    7:63 And of the priests: the children of Habaiah, the children of Koz, the children of Barzillai, which took one of the daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite to wife, and was called after their name.
    7:64 These sought their register among those that were reckoned by genealogy, but it was not found: therefore were they, as polluted, put from the priesthood.
    7:65 And the Tirshatha said unto them, that they should not eat of the most holy things, till there stood up a priest with Urim and Thummim.
    7:66 The whole congregation together was forty and two thousand three hundred and threescore,
    7:67 Beside their manservants and their maidservants, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and they had two hundred forty and five singing men and singing women.
    7:68 Their horses, seven hundred thirty and six: their mules, two hundred forty and five:
    7:69 Their camels, four hundred thirty and five: six thousand seven hundred and twenty asses.
    7:70 And some of the chief of the fathers gave unto the work. The Tirshatha gave to the treasure a thousand drams of gold, fifty basons, five hundred and thirty priests' garments.
    7:71 And some of the chief of the fathers gave to the treasure of the work twenty thousand drams of gold, and two thousand and two hundred pound of silver.
    7:72 And that which the rest of the people gave was twenty thousand drams of gold, and two thousand pound of silver, and threescore and seven priests' garments.
    7:73 So the priests, and the Levites, and the porters, and the singers, and some of the people, and the Nethinims, and all Israel, dwelt in their cities; and when the seventh month came, the children of Israel were in their cities.

Nehemiah 12:47 And all Israel in the days of Zerubbabel, and in the days of Nehemiah, gave the portions of the singers and the porters, every day his portion: and they sanctified holy things unto the Levites; and the Levites sanctified them unto the children of Aaron.

Moving on to the N.T. we find:

Luke 2:36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser:

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations

If the 10 northern tribes were lost by the time of the return for Babylonian Captivity; I have much trouble rectifying that premise; against all of the passages above; that seemed to know exactly where they were.
    Each one be your own berean hereafter.
    Yes, I've used the same arguments in the past, but had forgotten what they were. Thanks. Unfortunately that didn't in the end satisfy me, but it is something. Simeon's dwelling within the territory of Judah was just their placement, and likely means that they merged in with Judah over time, and after the Captivity.

I also believe that the various tribal families were scattered and remained in Diaspora. But I believe that over time they also merged in with the group we call the "Jewish People," and lost their specific tribal identities. We have no evidence of distinct tribes in Diaspora today, nor did they even remain as such in ancient times.

The idea seems to be that scattered groups from all of the 12 tribes participated in Judah's return from Captivity, and ultimately became part of the "Jewish People." The Northern Kingdom of Israel was never restored. The restoration of Judah became, in effect, the restoration of all Israel, without the tribal distinctions.

References to tribal names in the New Testament likely has more to do with genealogies than with tribal partitions. There were no tribal partitions, or boundaries, in the NT era. Paul may have come from Benjamin, but there was no actual tribe of Benjamin, in terms of a tribal boundary and territory.

Reference to the lost status of the 10 tribes really has to do, then, with the loss of the corrupt and idolatrous northern Kingdom of Israel. The people themselves merged in with the Jewish People, who remained loyal to Jerusalem and to the temple. Those assimilated had no interest in the true Jewish religion. There were undoubtedly people from the northern tribes who did, however, want to return to the true Jewish religion, and they likely merged in with the "Jewish People."

I'm aware of the details of the 12 tribes that make marking territorial boundaries difficult, such as in the case of Levi. We're just talking about generalities here. In my opinion, the distinction of the 12 tribes in NT references has more to do with the fulfillment of these 12 tribes in the nation of Israel. The 12 tribes belonged to the developmental stage. But the nation under one God in Jerusalem was the final stage. Christ was to be the final stage, who came to Jerusalem. The 12 tribes themselves have passed into insignificance. However, it is essential that the Jewish People still find their God and their Christ, in my humble opinion.

But thanks very much for your references. I've been looking for them again for a long time. And I hadn't remembered how I had argued this.

[future] "That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel." Luke 22:30

[future] "And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory [see Matt25:31-34 for timing and setting (2nd Coming to the earth/earthly)], ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel." Matthew 19:28

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    The Covenant or Contract of Law of Sinai sets forth the penalties for breaking this Contract. The last and most awful we read about in Leviticus 26:33-39. (See also Deuteronomy 28:63-65)

33 "And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.
    34 Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.
    35 As long as it lieth desolate it shall rest; because it did not rest in your sabbaths, when ye dwelt upon it.
    36 And upon them that are left alive of you I will send a faintness into their hearts in the lands of their enemies; and the sound of a shaken leaf shall chase them; and they shall flee, as fleeing from a sword; and they shall fall when none pursueth.
    37 And they shall fall one upon another, as it were before a sword, when none pursueth: and ye shall have no power to stand before your enemies.
    38 And ye shall perish among the heathen, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up.
    39 And they that are left of you shall pine away in their iniquity in your enemies' lands; and also in the iniquities of their fathers shall they pine away with them."

As promised by God, for He EVER keeps His promises whether of blessing or of curse, the 10 northern Tribes were carried off by Assyria. Today they are dispersed, "... among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; ... ." (Deuteronomy 28:64). But the prophets, and Hosea, which the OP addresses, promise that in due time, when the chastisement is over and the time of the Gentiles is full, Israel will again be restored. Various studies have shown that while a Gentile who is moved to a foreign country, will, by the third generation, be fully assimilated into that nation. But not so the Jew. For some inexplicable reason the Jew maintains his/her identity, and they cleave together in their lands of dispersion. This of course is to their grief, because they are a distinct group and can easily be targeted by oppressors. But keep their identity they do - even when it is but a cultural one. And further to this, God knows the lineage of every Jew who ever lived.

If God is to be believed, the 10 northern Tribes are scattered throughout the world including Palestine. A taste of this can be seen in Acts Chapter 2 when Jews in dispersion, who had even forgotten their mother tongue of Hebrew, gathered to Jerusalem for the Feast of Weeks - Pentecost. Peter addresses in Acts 2:14, "... Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem." But in verse 22 he is more specific. It is in verse 22; "Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you ... ." And who were these men (1) dwellers in Judea, (2) dwellers in Jerusalem, and (3) men of Israel? Verse 5 answers; "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven." And verse shows that Hebrew was a forgotten language among them as, "... because that every man heard them speak in his own language."

This attests to the power of God's curses. These men were "devout", they were Jews, they had traveled far to keep the Law of Pentecost, BUT THEY HAD LOST THEIR MOTHER TONGUE AND COULD NOT RETURN TO ISRAEL! And so it is today. Israel has 6.6 million Jews living there. Although no man can really know, the best studies show the Jewish population of the world as 17.5 million. How come the estimated balance of 11 million do not return to their Land? There can be no other reason than it is by God's power to keep the curses of the Covenant of Sinai.

And then, we have not yet mentioned all those Jews who died in Egypt before the Exodus, those who fell in the wilderness for unbelief and rebellion (ca. 600,000), and all those who have died in captivity since the Assyrian, and later, the Babylonian deportations. But God knows each and everyone, even if they languish in Hades. These all died in captivity. The number is astronomical. Great is the chastisement of Israel, but even greater will be their restoration after Christ returns.
    One of the truly remarkable things that thee apostle Paul sees [he is truly the most under rated scriptural authority, next to Jesus] is when he quotes a common word found in Hosea and in Isaiah 10.

*[[Hos 1:10]] KJV* Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

*[[Isa 10:20]] KJV* And it shall come to pass in that day, that the remnant of Israel, and such as are escaped of the house of Jacob, shall no more again stay upon him that smote them; but shall stay upon the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth.

*[[Isa 10:21]] KJV* The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God.

*[[Isa 10:22]] KJV* For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.

The remnant of Jacob, will arise out of the children of Israel, [Get ready, get ready, get ready] from the 10 "lost tribes" of the house of Israel, the children of Israel. Remember, Hosea is all about that time when "the kingdom of the house of Israel" shall be dissolved and reunited into the whole remnant of Jacob. Here is the thing that Paul seen. The remnant of Jacob, will arise out of the times when the children of Israel, according to lineage [physical descendents] shall number as the "sand of the sea". An innumerable quantity. The thing that he seen, that we do not, [and we habe had it wrong] , is that the children of Israel, of the house of the kingdom of Israel, shall number as the sands of the sea, BEFORE the time of Jacobs trouble. BEFORE! Look at the words of Isaiah again. The remnant of Jacob shall come out of the indignation.

*[[Isa 10:22]] KJV* For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.
    I would hardly call 17 million Jews as innumerable as the sands of the sea. The children of the kingdom of the house of Israel are the vessels of wrath that Paul speaks of in Romans 9. The moment that they split off from the kingdom of Judah into the 10 tribes, they were deserving of God's wrath right then and there. Because they did not want to worship God at Jerusalem, spurred on by their worship of Baal. That is where they were called, not my people. When they set up the golden calves in Dan and Bethel. And it will take place right there, in the valley of jezreel, that they will submit to being under one king, one God, one city! At Armageddon. God says that he will bring forth the remnant of Jacob, when the children of the kingdom of Israel are as innumerable as the sands of the sea. This brings us to the big and deep question: how will God, bring all of the house of Israel and of the house of Judah, to Jerusalem, to judged them, and pour his fury upon them?
    GB

Thread Information