Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I want to believe so much but just cant seem to connect with God

Re: I want to believe so much but just cant seem to connect with God

Quote Originally Posted by Belief View Post
    Thanks you, I am reading through John as I had already started before I saw your message.

I am writing every scripture I get each day into a journal and its so strange, some days its like they are almost talking to me but not quite enough to eliminate all doubt. As if its a lesson in faith lol. I really hate the term blind faith its so awful but I think at some point over the last few days I havew become a believer in Mind, heart and soul and the doubts I have been having...well? I no longer care about them. I dont understand certain things and there is a whole lot of stuff I cant make sense of but I have a life time to figure it out and it is my hope I can do it with God not on my own.

I am also feeling more hopefuly in general and a real urge to do better and be better.

I got two scriptures today which really struck a cord and felt like an answer to something I was pondering yesterday. I am going to share in another post though as I would love to hear other chirstians thoughts on it.
    This is very encouraging and has greatly improved my day that started out less than stellar ! Lol..
    Just so you know, even believers in Christ have doubts my friend. The key is exactly what I highlighted that YOU POSTED ( AMEN !!!). Faith is believing in spite of your doubts or NO LONGER CARING ABOUT THEM .... God will reveal the complete picture when we are with Him in heaven. Till then we just trust. Christ even said that those who would believe without seeing are BLESSED !! John 20 / 29. That's you and me my friend.

I am not sure where you are in your reading of John, but if you have exercised faith and repentance, then the scriptures say you are "Born Again". With that will come a peace through the Holy Spirit. If that's what has happened , then recognize it for what it is and trust in the saving work of Christ !

I look forward to hearing your scriptures that spoke to you.

I am sorry you have had to go thru this horrible experience at church. Reminds me of some stories my mother told me when she used to be of a certain religion (wonít say which out of respect).

A lot of people do things that are wrong. Every religion makes mistakes because itís composed of imperfect people though they are trying to do the right thing (thereís exceptions to this for sure).

Because of these stories Iíve grown to be very resentful to a lot of religions. A lot are in it for the money in my eyes and this causes divisions among them and huge problems.

I can tell you from experience that the true religion is out there. Canít tell you which because this forum bans me from doing so. But of this fact I am convinced.

I commend you to read Acts 17:11 and find for yourself with the light of the Bible if any religion adheres itself to bible principles and as a whole lives by a high moral standard guided by the Bible.

Also, any religion that asks you for money for any reason (specially when they force you) would be against what Matthew 10:8 says.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody93 View Post
    I am sorry you have had to go thru this horrible experience at church. Reminds me of some stories my mother told me when she used to be of a certain religion (won’t say which out of respect).

A lot of people do things that are wrong. Every religion makes mistakes because it’s composed of imperfect people though they are trying to do the right thing (there’s exceptions to this for sure).

Because of these stories I’ve grown to be very resentful to a lot of religions. A lot are in it for the money in my eyes and this causes divisions among them and huge problems.

I can tell you from experience that the true religion is out there. Can’t tell you which because this forum bans me from doing so. But of this fact I am convinced.

I commend you to read Acts 17:11 and find for yourself with the light of the Bible if any religion adheres itself to bible principles and as a whole lives by a high moral standard guided by the Bible.

Also, any religion that asks you for money for any reason (specially when they force you) would be against what Matthew 10:8 says.
    If this forum would ban you for it , then it wasn't the truth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    If this forum would ban you for it , then it wasn't the truth.
    Pb is correct. He and I have very diverse views within Protestantism. My views on secondary and tertiary doctrines differ much from probably most (not all) of the boards’s leaders. Yet here I am. Posting wherever I want.

If one is a true Protestant and well behaved, no ban will happen.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

In 1981 I abandoned God. I received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior in 1975. I was baptised by immersion one week later and things were really good for about 6 years, but then I backslid and eventually said "goodbye" to God. After about six months of feeling lower than whale manure (the lowest thing on earth) I decided to talk to the new pastor at my former church. He said "No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62. He then said go out and sin all you want because God is through with you and I can't help you and neither can anyone else. I was scared.........REALLY scared. So I went to see the pastor of the little church just down the street and I told him I was once saved but now I am lost because of my rebellion and sin. He said that was impossible! He then quoted John 10:28-29 "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." Then he said so you think you are more powerful than God? I of course said no. He then told me to repent, tell God I was sorry and start acting like you are saved, because you are. That was in 1981. I am still a born again Christian and stronger than ever.

If you received Christ as Lord and Savior because God drew you into a relationship with Himself (John 6:44) you are saved. If you decided one day that you wanted to be saved because some of your friends were, or you wanted to impress someone by kneeling at the altar or were pressured into receiving Christ by someone, you may not be saved.

Benji

Nobody93,

"I can tell you from experience that the true religion is out there. Can’t tell you which because this forum bans me from doing so. But of this fact, I am convinced." - I am curious as to what you are referring too? and why it would mean a ban?

I think I have found my faith but as far as religion goes I am not really looking for that. I am just looking for God, trying to speak with him and I think we are connecting. When I am trying to talk with him I kind of get this feeling now. At the moment it is small. Small in a way that I could doubt it if I question too much but I don't feel the need too any more.

I am even thinking now that I may try church again at some point.

My biggest struggle is Sin and that notion of feeling like you can't be saved because I keep sinning and it is so hard not too. I repent and say sorry but you just feel like God might not believe you if you keep making the same mistakes. Don't get me wrong when it comes to treating other people how I want to be treated, I do quite well most of the time as I am quite happy to give my time to help others and I have always been like that but still struggle with sin in other areas.

I am really enjoying keeping my journal and I know my faith must be growing as when I ask for scripture/guidance if I don't see how it relates I think to myself "I just don't understand that now and with Gods help I will understand it later" whereas before I would assume I am just not getting a message and its just random with no meaning. Does that sound silly?

For instance, over the last week, I seem to be getting a lot of words which speak of going out and spreading/teaching the word even though I am asking for guidance on this or that (I have been getting help from the scriptures on this as well just not the last week). I find it so strange that I keep getting this theme (for lack of a better word). This is what made me think about church as I thought maybe hes telling me I need to go their and be taught or something.

I was in a similar situation, raised believing somewhat because of JW indoctrination as a child, strayed into unbelief by virtue of parents falling away from JW. Later I searched for God and it took years before I was really saved. Not by denominational indoctrination yet again but by simple, sincere willingness to have a one on one relationship with our Savior.
    From that point on I relearned religion and found the inner peace I longed for all my life in Christ through a local small community oriented non denominational church. I am by no means discrediting any mainstream denominations, just sharing my personal testimony. I fell in with other groups that claimed to be the "one true church" before and learned to avoid anyone who claims to be the only road to Jesus. I was eventually properly baptized and have been slowly growing as a new Christian for the last several years. Be patient in your walk with God. You have the rest of your life to know him now. He is patient with you and will help you learn and grow in your faith, just focus on what you can do and learn today and let tomorrow take care of itself. The body of Christ is multifaceted, different parts performing different functions based on what gifts God has blessed you with yet working in unison as one body. 1 Corinthians chapter 12 verses 1-31 says it quite well. Bottom line is never give up. God will never leave you nor forsake you as long as you keep looking for Him, even on dry days when he seems to not "be" there.
    JESUS CHRIST, often imitated, never duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B View Post
    I was in a similar situation, raised believing somewhat because of JW indoctrination as a child, strayed into unbelief by virtue of parents falling away from JW. Later I searched for God and it took years before I was really saved. Not by denominational indoctrination yet again but by simple, sincere willingness to have a one on one relationship with our Savior.
    From that point on I relearned religion and found the inner peace I longed for all my life in Christ through a local small community oriented non denominational church. I am by no means discrediting any mainstream denominations, just sharing my personal testimony. I fell in with other groups that claimed to be the "one true church" before and learned to avoid anyone who claims to be the only road to Jesus. I was eventually properly baptized and have been slowly growing as a new Christian for the last several years. Be patient in your walk with God. You have the rest of your life to know him now. He is patient with you and will help you learn and grow in your faith, just focus on what you can do and learn today and let tomorrow take care of itself. The body of Christ is multifaceted, different parts performing different functions based on what gifts God has blessed you with yet working in unison as one body. 1 Corinthians chapter 12 verses 1-31 says it quite well. Bottom line is never give up. God will never leave you nor forsake you as long as you keep looking for Him, even on dry days when he seems to not "be" there.
    Thank you for sharing. Its nice to know that others have experiences not to disimilar from my own.

Sometimes when reading the bible my analytical mind can struggle to come to terms with the truly miraculous things that happen. For example, when I think about the parting of the red sea. It's hard to grasp that this is possible and then your mind begins to try a rationalize which takes away from the event if that makes sense. Or another silly one that I used to think about when I was younger is Noahs Ark, how did 2 of every non aquatic animal get to the Ark across oceans (although now I am older part of me thinks maybe Pangea can account for this but at the same time were this stories from millions of years ago). Sorry if those examples seem a little off the cuff but it was what just popped into my head.
    If the Bible is true, then Christianity is true, and the God, described within it's pages, is true.

The Bible was written over a period of 1,600 years, by 40 God chosen men, who lived on multiple continents and they all wrote about the same thing, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There were no mail delivery trucks, no drop ship planes, no Federal Express, no UPS and no email, yet when all of the writings were put together they present one unified message. The Bible is truly the Word of God.

Following are some topics and links I hope you will look into, concerning the validity of the Bible. Please see what the evidence has to say.

An excellent ebook on the subject: http://www.apologeticspress.org/pdfs..._pdf/idobi.pdf

Proof of Textual Evidence
    Old Testament: http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/266
    New Testament: http://www.carm.org/questions/textualevidence.htm
    More on the Bible: http://www.carm.org/bible.htm

Proof of People Living at the Time of Christ
    http://www.carm.org/questions/extrab...l_accounts.htm
    http://www.carm.org/questions/Josephus.htm

Proof of Archaeology
    http://www.christiananswers.net/arch...e.html#general
    http://www.carm.org/questions/eviden...aeological.htm

Proof of Science: Statements Consistent With Paleontology, Astronomy, Meteorology, Biology, Anthropology, Hydrology and Geology
    http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/science.shtml
    http://www.carm.org/bible/ms_science.htm
    http://www.eternal-productions.org/101science.html

Proof of Prophecy (Messanic & dealing with nations)
    https://www.gospeloutreach.net/bibsuper.html
    http://www.clarifyingchristianity.co...ophecies.shtml
    http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/fulfill.shtml
    http://www.carm.org/bible/prophecy.htm
    http://shoreshdavidbrandon.org/pdf/I...ose-Jewish.pdf (awesome eBook)
    http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/b_proof.shtml

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true. In Christianity, faith is required but it does not have to be a blind faith.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

First, it sounds more like your original problem wasn't unbelief, but it was unforgiveness. Ask yourself if you've ever met a perfect person. Ask yourself if you think you could practice Christianity perfectly. Then spend some time in prayer about this.

I read back my words and it sounds like I believe already,

Lol
    as I read through this thread that was exactly what I was thinking.

maybe it's happening but I don't want it to be wishful thinking I want to have the conviction of my belief and be able to experience God and have a that close relationship with him. I don't want it to be one way, is it selfish to ask these things?
    Sometimes the answers to our prayers are big wow things. But I've found that most times, the answers come just through seemingly ordinary life events.

However, upon further examination and consideration that it is God that works ALL things together for our good, for those love Him who are called according to His purposes...and it is God that gives blessings and it is God who has the power to withhold...and it is God who draws us to His Son...well my friend, Chances are you've had many answered prayers.
    A relationship with God looks a bit different than a relationship with a human on earth. Sometimes we get immediate answers like when we are in conversation with a person on the phone, other times it might take years and scores of little life changes and new directions. Sometimes even what appears tragic and is incredibly stressful is the beginning of an answer to prayer. And those difficult times are there to take you through the changes you need to make in your own life in order to prepare for the answer you seek.
    One more thing...scripture tells us to draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Jesus told us to seek...knock, ask. It's a process and it takes real effort. Don't expect a quick fix from an eternal God. He has all the time in the world. Lol

Look around, See what answers you find.

Blog Entries

MOD NOTE:

In this forum responses can only be directed towards the OP. I have moderated a questionable response and all posts that quoted and responded to it. Please read the special posting rules regarding this forum:
    https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...efore-posting)
    2 Ti 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Hi Belief,

Sorry but I haven't read every post, but some early ones I have read.

The first thing is, we come to believe something when we know it is true, right? I mean nobody ever believed anything if they thought it wasn't true. So coming to faith means coming to know the Christian faith is true. Christian faith does not by-pass the mind or the intellect or the understanding.

That does not mean that every quibble must be satisfactorily answered before we can believe. But it does mean that all major doubts must be resolved. The question then becomes what evidence is there that Christianity is true? What has God done that is designed to be a test case for or against Christianity?

I would suggest a good place to start is the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Look at the evidence for (and against) the resurrection and ask yourself did this really happen? If you come to the conclusion that it really did happen then you are on to something, aren't you?? If you come to be persuaded the resurrection really did happen then little problems in other areas might suddenly seem to be rather trivial, things that can wait for an answer, things which must have an answer which you can find out later.

Personally, I think the resurrection is an event which God has deliberately designed to be a test case for Christianity.

The best way to look at the evidence is by reading the Bible and especially the gospels. Don't try and rush into faith. The Holy Spirit is needed for faith, but we need to use our minds to examine the scriptures, this is the way.

Then also you need to act as if you believe God's promises in Scripture: Call upon me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things which you know not - Jeremiah 33:3

Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find. Matthew 7:7.

Believe God is more willing to give you eternal life than you are to receive it.

Keep reading the Scriptures. Acts 17:11.

You also say you are essentially a good person. This is a huge problem, which reading the scriptures will put right. You see, you are essentially a bad person, just like the rest of us! But don't worry, the Scriptures will show you what I mean. Just keep reading them. It takes quite a while for an acorn to become a great oak tree, and it might take a while for you to know you are saved. Don't worry about the time it takes, just know that if you keep reading the Scriptures you are starting on the right track.

Wanting to be saved, for whatever reason, is a good start. But the real reason for wanting to be saved is when we feel and know we are lost, utterly hopelessly and helplessly lost, under the wrath of God, facing eternal doom, and know only Christ can save us. Friend, flee from the wrath to come (Matthew 3:7).

Thread Information