Thread: OCD what it feels like and what to do

OCD what it feels like and what to do

An illustration was revealed to me that can be helpful to anyone who battles OCD and to help those who don't to have a better understanding.

Imagine yourself holding on a piece of paper. The paper represents a bad thought, a sin, a fearful thought, etc.. The thought comes, you release it and the paper falls out of your hand, it goes away. But for those with OCD like me, the piece of paper feels like fly paper. The thought comes, I open my hand to release it, but it sticks. When a fearful thought sticks long enough my thoughts become irrational and I panic with fear. I fight back by trying to shake my hand free but the harder I do it, the messier and stickier it seems and feels a lot worse. Even when I give in to OCD's demands whether it's hand washing or counting numbers or thinking or doing something in a certain way. Whatever it is for it's different for everyone.

The thing is, DON'T fight back against OCD or give in to its demands like ritualism meaning you have to do or say something over and over again. That's how it gets more power and control over your life even though OCD is a lie and a liar and irrational. Not too long ago I went through another OCD attack but this time I said, Fine. Attack me. Do whatever you want. I know you're not real you're not rational neither but Jesus is and I prayed to Jesus and to focus on Him and His Word and seeking His encouragement and His strength. As the day went by at work I began to feel physically exhausted and tired and weak not just from work but mostly from the OCD attacks. Suddenly I felt strengthened by God and felt more freedom, freedom from OCD, it's grip on me, and its power and I felt more sane and my mind was was becoming more sound and rational.

Coming from experience I think I am to take my fears including OCD into my heart and not fight it away for I feel like when I do I harden my heart. But if I allow it into my heart and focus on God's love and my heart flowing with God's love and allow the Spirit to deal with it and trust in Him to do so. It works! Even though OCD always has a way to come back to me differently but I can't give up. It just takes one day at a time for me but great for those overcame and no longer feel under attack from this anymore!

Blog Entries

Re: OCD what it feels like and what to do

This is a good concept of overcoming OCD. Many times we use our own power to try and fight things off be it negative thoughts, actions or words. But you said something profound "I know you aren't real and your not rational neither but Jesus is..." and then you prayed. There are times we must disengage from the battle and surrender the battle to the Lord. But there are times we must utilize the weapon Christ has given to us, the sword of the spirit, and combat it with scripture. Find the scriptures pertaining to your issue and utilize them. As we see in scripture, it took Christ combating the enemy three times with scripture before he left for a more opportune time. This is merely standing your ground.

I have combated depression and anxiety in the past and utilized scripture as my weapon. Sometimes the negative thoughts can be overpowering but once you utilize that sword, and continue doing so, you will overcome it. The one thing I offer is to learn about surrendering. You don't have to take the fear to your heart as scripture states He has not give you a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind (but I understand the concept of what you are saying) but next time, out loud, surrender the fear to Jesus "Lord, I surrender this fear to you. Take it from me as it's not from you". When I was in the middle of healing, I had no clue about surrendering but I knew I had to teach it but not sure how. I told the Lord this and He put me through a crash course...not fun. But it was realizing I had to give it up to Him. So whenever fear came, I surrendered it and whipped out my sword and began reading the scriptures out loud. Psalm 27 & 91, Philippians 4:13 and Luke 10:19 were the main ones for me. I read until it was gone. If you work, recite scriptures you do know.

Yes, it takes one day at a time, but each day that goes by you become stronger and stronger. Remember what David said when he was about to tear up Goliath? 1 Samuel 17:45:

45 Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.

Keep up the great work...you are an overcomer!

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!

Thank you cheech! Thank you for correcting me on the fear part of the issue and that I need to surrender the fear to Jesus. You are an overcomer cheech and thank you for your encouragement and help!

Blog Entries

No problemo We must support each other every chance we get because the battle is tough but thank God we have a king who goes before us and fights the battle with us!

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!

Thread Information