Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 259

Thread: what about "prophets" of today?

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    7,161

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Right. As I said from the beginning, I wasn't going to quibble over definitions of words. I would just say this much. You misrepresented me when you said Jonah was preaching repentance. I didn't say that. I said Jonah didn't want Nineveh to repent. He preached judgment. But *God* wanted Nineveh to repent, and convicted Nineveh *through the Holy Spirit,* and *through* Jonah's message of judgment.
    This is very petty stuff! I can see how you get stuck on arguments over words because you're a language person. But in my view, it's more of a distraction than enlightening. Words are very flexible things, and really are determined by how they are being used than by technical definitions.

    You said, "Jonah preached and Nineveh repented is indeed what happened. What did NOT happen is that Jonah did NOT preach "Repent!" I do understand a figure of speech, but you also made it out to be a relevant reason."

    The implication here is that I was arguing something else, that Jonah *did* preach repentance. I didn't say that. Nor did I say that Jonah walking up to Nineveh with seaweed wrapped around his legs was a relevant fact. This is just highlighting, graphically, the position Jonah was in at the time of his prophecy. He was a penitent, and the people he was ministering to likely learned of what he had to go through to get there.

    None of this was intended to invoke repentance in the Ninevites. But it surely was part of the story as to how he got there. Yes, it is an argument from silence--there was no seaweed. We don't even know if Jonah told his story. But we certainly have the story well-documented. How likely is it that the Ninevites did not get to hear it too?

    We must let this argument go....

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,859
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    This is very petty stuff! I can see how you get stuck on arguments over words because you're a language person. But in my view, it's more of a distraction than enlightening. Words are very flexible things, and really are determined by how they are being used than by technical definitions.
    Words are indeed flexible, but we need therefore to be clear how such words are being used.

    You said, "Jonah preached and Nineveh repented is indeed what happened. What did NOT happen is that Jonah did NOT preach "Repent!" I do understand a figure of speech, but you also made it out to be a relevant reason."
    The implication here is that I was arguing something else, that Jonah *did* preach repentance. I didn't say that. Nor did I say that Jonah walking up to Nineveh with seaweed wrapped around his legs was a relevant fact. This is just highlighting, graphically, the position Jonah was in at the time of his prophecy. He was a penitent, and the people he was ministering to likely learned of what he had to go through to get there.
    Actually as you have put here and in your previous example you ADD things which are NOT there.
    It is almost certain that the people of Nineveh had NOT learnt what Jonah had gone through to get there. You are presenting a picture CONTRARY to what is stated. You are creating a rational based on Jonah saying, look what God did to me, He will do the same to you.
    Yet Jonah was NOT preaching repentance. He was preaching destruction. He was NOT wanting people to turn to God and ask for forgiveness, yet you are presenting an idea where he is.
    Was Jonah being a penitent? Jonah 4 does NOT present such an idea of Jonah at all.

    None of this was intended to invoke repentance in the Ninevites. But it surely was part of the story as to how he got there. Yes, it is an argument from silence--there was no seaweed. We don't even know if Jonah told his story. But we certainly have the story well-documented. How likely is it that the Ninevites did not get to hear it too?
    We must let this argument go....
    Surely it was part of the story??? No, it surely was NOT. No one was asking him how he got there. Tales of the sea would be very odd and tales of his disobedience just as odd. When would the Ninevites have heard the story? Not until AFTER they repented. The story was also one given to the Jews, NOT the Assyrians who were defeated by Babylon 150 years later. They may have heard it AFTER they had conquered Israel in 722 BC. Would they have believed it? Maybe some would have remembered that time. Yet we have no record of them acting on it.
    there is no "argument" from silence. It is simply God tells us what is pertinent and that is there was no invocation of repentance or aspect of Jonah's life as a sign for the Ninevites.
    The ONLY aspect of the SIGN involved is EXACTLY as Jesus stated, which is in relation to what would happen TO Jesus, not the Ninevites and not the Jews.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    7,161

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Words are indeed flexible, but we need therefore to be clear how such words are being used.


    Actually as you have put here and in your previous example you ADD things which are NOT there.
    It is almost certain that the people of Nineveh had NOT learnt what Jonah had gone through to get there. You are presenting a picture CONTRARY to what is stated. You are creating a rational based on Jonah saying, look what God did to me, He will do the same to you.
    Yet Jonah was NOT preaching repentance. He was preaching destruction. He was NOT wanting people to turn to God and ask for forgiveness, yet you are presenting an idea where he is.
    Was Jonah being a penitent? Jonah 4 does NOT present such an idea of Jonah at all.


    Surely it was part of the story??? No, it surely was NOT. No one was asking him how he got there. Tales of the sea would be very odd and tales of his disobedience just as odd. When would the Ninevites have heard the story? Not until AFTER they repented. The story was also one given to the Jews, NOT the Assyrians who were defeated by Babylon 150 years later. They may have heard it AFTER they had conquered Israel in 722 BC. Would they have believed it? Maybe some would have remembered that time. Yet we have no record of them acting on it.
    there is no "argument" from silence. It is simply God tells us what is pertinent and that is there was no invocation of repentance or aspect of Jonah's life as a sign for the Ninevites.
    The ONLY aspect of the SIGN involved is EXACTLY as Jesus stated, which is in relation to what would happen TO Jesus, not the Ninevites and not the Jews.
    We're both arguing from silence, although we have facts to build a case on. So we can't resolve, in this respect, whether Jonah told his story to the Ninevites or not. Be happy with your chosen version.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,859
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    We're both arguing from silence, although we have facts to build a case on. So we can't resolve, in this respect, whether Jonah told his story to the Ninevites or not. Be happy with your chosen version.
    I am not arguing from silence, but from what is stated.
    You are arguing from a story line you have created which scripture does not support as clearly shown in what Jonah is recorded as having preached and Jonah's own reaction, which is also recorded.
    Further this leads you to make up what the sign is, and then import that into another story where again it is not the sign.
    Pink elephants aren't mentioned either, but to argue there were some due to silence about it is a false proposition. This is what you are trying to do, hence my rejection of your idea as being even possible.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    7,161

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    I am not arguing from silence, but from what is stated.
    You are arguing from a story line you have created which scripture does not support as clearly shown in what Jonah is recorded as having preached and Jonah's own reaction, which is also recorded.
    Further this leads you to make up what the sign is, and then import that into another story where again it is not the sign.
    Pink elephants aren't mentioned either, but to argue there were some due to silence about it is a false proposition. This is what you are trying to do, hence my rejection of your idea as being even possible.
    So let's do this then. Why don't you provide proof--from the Scriptures--that Jonah did *not* share his story of being at sea 3 days with the Ninevites? And I will give you my proof as well. This isn't about "pink elephants." I don't see that in the Scriptures either!

    Jonah 3.6 When Jonah’s warning reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust. 7 This is the proclamation he issued in Nineveh:
    “By the decree of the king and his nobles:
    Do not let people or animals, herds or flocks, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink. 8 But let people and animals be covered with sackcloth. Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence. 9 Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish.”
    10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.


    So the Scriptures here say that following Jonah's preaching the king wanted his subjects to "call on God," and committed them to "turn from their evil ways." This indicates to me that somehow a pagan king recognized in Jonah the God of the Hebrews, who had particular moral requirements. How did they know this without inquiring of Jonah?

    We don't really know, but that is who God put there to bring this message. Obviously, not all of the particulars are recorded in this Scripture passage to explain what clearly took place! In other words, the *Scriptures themselves* require that we make deductions in order to understand how this event took place!

    Jonah 4.1 But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. 2 He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.

    What this explicitly says is that *Jonah knew* the message could elicit repentance! He ran away from Tarshish for that very reason! Therefore, as he repented, and chose to go fulfil his call, he knew he was bringing a possible message of repentance. He *knew that!*

    The book is about converting Jonah's heart to accept men who are truly willing to change. Before they change they look unsaveable. But with a genuine change men become loveable.

    The book does not, therefore, contain a lot of details that are obviously left out. How they saw God as possibly forgiving them is open to question. How they understood what they needed to repent of is open to question. We just aren't told. I just think it's likely the king would've consulted Jonah on his mission, and would've likely heard about how he got there through the sea.

    The bottom line is, we have this in the opening of Jonah...

    Jonah 1.1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”

    Jonah was told to "preach against it." That means that more than just the words we have in the book of Jonah took place! Preaching against the wickedness of Nineveh involved exposing all of the sins involved. And there is no need in the book of Jonah to give a complete transcription of Jonah's message!

    Preaching against these many sins involved pointing out the sins of idolatry. We know that because the king declared repentance on behalf of *God.* That is, this was the God of the Hebrews. And they had to know God's capacity for forgiveness in this preaching because Jonah's message would not be complete if He preached that God was only a God of judgment, who judged men who were hostile to Him and who were *unrepentant.* But you decide the version you like.

    And your argument is?

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,859
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    So let's do this then. Why don't you provide proof--from the Scriptures--that Jonah did *not* share his story of being at sea 3 days with the Ninevites? And I will give you my proof as well. This isn't about "pink elephants." I don't see that in the Scriptures either!
    Actually it is about pink elephants and the lack of them. You CANNOT prove that Jonah didn't see pink elephants on his journey to Nineveh, he just didn't mention them.
    I also CANNOT prove that Jonah didn't share about what happened in his life prior to arriving in Nineveh.
    The point is though that pink elephants are not something normal so the burden of proof lies with the one claiming there were pink elephants. Similarly there is NOTHING in the Book of Jonah which suggests or supports the idea that Jonah preached repentance or that he gave his testimony to the Ninevites. The burden of proof lies with the one who wishes to claim this additional information.

    Jonah 3.6 When Jonah’s warning reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust. 7 This is the proclamation he issued in Nineveh:
    “By the decree of the king and his nobles:
    Do not let people or animals, herds or flocks, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink. 8 But let people and animals be covered with sackcloth. Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence. 9 Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish.”
    10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.


    So the Scriptures here say that following Jonah's preaching the king wanted his subjects to "call on God," and committed them to "turn from their evil ways." This indicates to me that somehow a pagan king recognized in Jonah the God of the Hebrews, who had particular moral requirements. How did they know this without inquiring of Jonah?
    Is this the extent of your proof? Sounds like seaweed on Jonah.
    Firstly, the King would have to believe that there was a god powerful enough to do this. So did Jonah demonstrate that God was so capable? Again nothing in the Book of Jonah supports such an idea. So this means that the King must have ALREADY known about the God of the Hebrews. Read 2 Kings and you will know about the events that occurred with the Arameans. Then later with the Assyrians. At teh time of Jonah, Assyria was now greater than Aram, though Aram remained a force it was in its latter years.
    Now when you read Joshua you will know that the Canaanites knew what had happened in Egypt.

    We don't really know, but that is who God put there to bring this message. Obviously, not all of the particulars are recorded in this Scripture passage to explain what clearly took place! In other words, the *Scriptures themselves* require that we make deductions in order to understand how this event took place!
    Yes we can make deductions, but when we are EXPLICITLY given the message, and when we are told what Jonah's attitude was, and when we have examples form scripture of God's acts and how the nations hear, then we don't need to invent stories or have Jonah say things which wouldn't be consistent.

    Jonah 4.1 But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. 2 He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.
    What this explicitly says is that *Jonah knew* the message could elicit repentance! He ran away from Tarshish for that very reason! Therefore, as he repented, and chose to go fulfil his call, he knew he was bringing a possible message of repentance. He *knew that!*
    No, it does NOT say Jonah knew the message could elicit repentance - rather it shows that Jonah would not have preached a message of repentance, and stuck to God's script of judgement. What it says is that Jonah knew that IF they repented then God would not bring the disaster upon them.

    The book is about converting Jonah's heart to accept men who are truly willing to change. Before they change they look unsaveable. But with a genuine change men become loveable.
    The book does not, therefore, contain a lot of details that are obviously left out. How they saw God as possibly forgiving them is open to question. How they understood what they needed to repent of is open to question. We just aren't told. I just think it's likely the king would've consulted Jonah on his mission, and would've likely heard about how he got there through the sea.
    Now you are speculating ideas which aren't supported. You really think that if the King had asked for Jonah's advice that Jonah wouldn't have noted this down.

    The bottom line is, we have this in the opening of Jonah...
    Jonah 1.1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”
    Jonah was told to "preach against it." That means that more than just the words we have in the book of Jonah took place! Preaching against the wickedness of Nineveh involved exposing all of the sins involved. And there is no need in the book of Jonah to give a complete transcription of Jonah's message!
    Preaching against it does NOT require exposing all the sins involved. It means speaking out what God says, which was very simple. We are TOLD what Jonah preached but you reject it.

    Preaching against these many sins involved pointing out the sins of idolatry. We know that because the king declared repentance on behalf of *God.* That is, this was the God of the Hebrews. And they had to know God's capacity for forgiveness in this preaching because Jonah's message would not be complete if He preached that God was only a God of judgment, who judged men who were hostile to Him and who were *unrepentant.* But you decide the version you like.
    And your argument is?
    Jonah's message was complete. His job was to preach judgement. When you read other prophets and the prophecies they are given, they do not add in "repent and avoid this judgement". Ezekiel 27 & 28 is a simple example.

    Who says they had to know anything. They had an understanding, but the details are left blank. This is not for us to fill with false messages from Jonah, but with the consciences they have been given.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    7,161

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Actually it is about pink elephants and the lack of them. You CANNOT prove that Jonah didn't see pink elephants on his journey to Nineveh, he just didn't mention them.
    I also CANNOT prove that Jonah didn't share about what happened in his life prior to arriving in Nineveh.
    The point is though that pink elephants are not something normal so the burden of proof lies with the one claiming there were pink elephants. Similarly there is NOTHING in the Book of Jonah which suggests or supports the idea that Jonah preached repentance or that he gave his testimony to the Ninevites. The burden of proof lies with the one who wishes to claim this additional information.


    Is this the extent of your proof? Sounds like seaweed on Jonah.
    Firstly, the King would have to believe that there was a god powerful enough to do this. So did Jonah demonstrate that God was so capable? Again nothing in the Book of Jonah supports such an idea. So this means that the King must have ALREADY known about the God of the Hebrews. Read 2 Kings and you will know about the events that occurred with the Arameans. Then later with the Assyrians. At teh time of Jonah, Assyria was now greater than Aram, though Aram remained a force it was in its latter years.
    Now when you read Joshua you will know that the Canaanites knew what had happened in Egypt.


    Yes we can make deductions, but when we are EXPLICITLY given the message, and when we are told what Jonah's attitude was, and when we have examples form scripture of God's acts and how the nations hear, then we don't need to invent stories or have Jonah say things which wouldn't be consistent.


    No, it does NOT say Jonah knew the message could elicit repentance - rather it shows that Jonah would not have preached a message of repentance, and stuck to God's script of judgement. What it says is that Jonah knew that IF they repented then God would not bring the disaster upon them.


    Now you are speculating ideas which aren't supported. You really think that if the King had asked for Jonah's advice that Jonah wouldn't have noted this down.


    Preaching against it does NOT require exposing all the sins involved. It means speaking out what God says, which was very simple. We are TOLD what Jonah preached but you reject it.


    Jonah's message was complete. His job was to preach judgement. When you read other prophets and the prophecies they are given, they do not add in "repent and avoid this judgement". Ezekiel 27 & 28 is a simple example.

    Who says they had to know anything. They had an understanding, but the details are left blank. This is not for us to fill with false messages from Jonah, but with the consciences they have been given.
    As I said, countering supposed "arguments from silence" with your own "arguments from silence" accomplishes little. I choose to believe the *most likely* scenario, which was that Jonah's message of judgment contained seeds of repentance. Jonah knew this, and had run away from his mission for this very reason. Returning to his mission Jonah knew his message could elicit genuine repentance, removing the promised judgment from Nineveh. He didn't want it, but God did.

    Below you will see that part of Jonah's message, in his repentance, was "salvation."

    Jonah 2.8 "Those who cling to worthless idols
    turn away from God’s love for them.
    9 But I, with shouts of grateful praise,
    will sacrifice to you.
    What I have vowed I will make good.
    I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”


    Clearly, Jonah's message contained the seeds of both repentance and salvation, because this is what he himself had learned. He just didn't know that idolators, like the Ninevites, would avail themselves of God's free righteousness. He did not assume they would turn from their idolatry, and along with it all of its vile practices.

    Matt 12.41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,859
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    As I said, countering supposed "arguments from silence" with your own "arguments from silence" accomplishes little. I choose to believe the *most likely* scenario, which was that Jonah's message of judgment contained seeds of repentance. Jonah knew this, and had run away from his mission for this very reason. Returning to his mission Jonah knew his message could elicit genuine repentance, removing the promised judgment from Nineveh. He didn't want it, but God did.
    As I am NOT arguing from silence, but from what is EXPLICITLY stated, it is ONLY you who is arguing in this manner, so you have accomplished nothing. Further IF you were to believe the most likely scenario, then you definitely would NOT believe that Jonah preached repentance. Jonah 4 which you quoted showed you that Jonah didn't want them to repent. There is NOTHING in the message, nor in the messenger, which speaks of repentance.
    Jonah didn't think his message could elicit repentance, what he knew, and stated in his book, is that he knew what God was like.

    Below you will see that part of Jonah's message, in his repentance, was "salvation."

    Jonah 2.8 "Those who cling to worthless idols
    turn away from God’s love for them.
    9 But I, with shouts of grateful praise,
    will sacrifice to you.
    What I have vowed I will make good.
    I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”


    Clearly, Jonah's message contained the seeds of both repentance and salvation, because this is what he himself had learned. He just didn't know that idolators, like the Ninevites, would avail themselves of God's free righteousness. He did not assume they would turn from their idolatry, and along with it all of its vile practices.
    Nope, Jonah's message did NOT contain seeds of repentance. However when a person sees the hangman coming, they may repent.
    What Jonah says is not what he preached to the Ninevites, but what he said to God.

    Matt 12.41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here.
    And? They repented without being given the SIGN of Jonah, yet this Jesus gave them and they still don't repent. Thus they will stand in judgement.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    29,033
    Blog Entries
    93

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Ya know... some thread just began in End Times Chat that caused me to smile as I am reminded of this thread...

    Some in here say the gift of prophesy is over and the usual reason is because the Canon is closed (is the perfect)/the last Apostle died, etc.

    But if this is true, then does the gift of prophecy "start again" for the Two Witnesses that we read about in Revelation?

    I can only assume that those who believe this gift of the Holy Spirit has ended, then when these two begin to prophecy... what about the belief that this gift has ended?

    What justification will they then concoct, so they can stick to their belief that the gift of prophecy has ended?
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  10. #250
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,859
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Ya know... some thread just began in End Times Chat that caused me to smile as I am reminded of this thread...

    Some in here say the gift of prophesy is over and the usual reason is because the Canon is closed (is the perfect)/the last Apostle died, etc.

    But if this is true, then does the gift of prophecy "start again" for the Two Witnesses that we read about in Revelation?

    I can only assume that those who believe this gift of the Holy Spirit has ended, then when these two begin to prophecy... what about the belief that this gift has ended?

    What justification will they then concoct, so they can stick to their belief that the gift of prophecy has ended?
    Interesting point.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    7,161

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Ya know... some thread just began in End Times Chat that caused me to smile as I am reminded of this thread...

    Some in here say the gift of prophesy is over and the usual reason is because the Canon is closed (is the perfect)/the last Apostle died, etc.

    But if this is true, then does the gift of prophecy "start again" for the Two Witnesses that we read about in Revelation?

    I can only assume that those who believe this gift of the Holy Spirit has ended, then when these two begin to prophecy... what about the belief that this gift has ended?

    What justification will they then concoct, so they can stick to their belief that the gift of prophecy has ended?
    A major problem is that some Christians want to carve history up into "dispensations," and make God turn on the valve, turn off the valve, act one way, then act another way, etc. The Scriptures say, "I the Lord do not change." Malachi 3.6. Good word!

    Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    As I am NOT arguing from silence, but from what is EXPLICITLY stated, it is ONLY you who is arguing in this manner, so you have accomplished nothing. Further IF you were to believe the most likely scenario, then you definitely would NOT believe that Jonah preached repentance. Jonah 4 which you quoted showed you that Jonah didn't want them to repent. There is NOTHING in the message, nor in the messenger, which speaks of repentance.
    Jonah didn't think his message could elicit repentance, what he knew, and stated in his book, is that he knew what God was like.


    Nope, Jonah's message did NOT contain seeds of repentance. However when a person sees the hangman coming, they may repent.
    What Jonah says is not what he preached to the Ninevites, but what he said to God.


    And? They repented without being given the SIGN of Jonah, yet this Jesus gave them and they still don't repent. Thus they will stand in judgement.
    We are not going to agree.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,162
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    I do not believe that any of the gifts of the Holy Spirit are gone as of right now this minute. Tongues will cease - when? I don't know. Prophets today and their conduct as described in the New Testament includes more than just a foretelling of future events.

    It includes preaching and much more. The literal definition says that.

    We have to be careful when speaking of prophesy for there are those who believe themselves to contain knowledge that the rest of the world does not, that they are the only bearers of truth, and if you understand what I am saying without me saying it - there are those misguided souls who believe themselves to be one of the two witnesses.
    ".....it's your nickel"

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    29,033
    Blog Entries
    93

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I do not believe that any of the gifts of the Holy Spirit are gone as of right now this minute. Tongues will cease - when? I don't know. Prophets today and their conduct as described in the New Testament includes more than just a foretelling of future events.

    It includes preaching and much more. The literal definition says that.

    We have to be careful when speaking of prophesy for there are those who believe themselves to contain knowledge that the rest of the world does not, that they are the only bearers of truth, and if you understand what I am saying without me saying it - there are those misguided souls who believe themselves to be one of the two witnesses.
    Yeah.... I know exactly what you are saying.

    Might I add then... we are always to test the spirits, but then... those who say all the gifts are ended, don't have too test. Or worse they test wrong (IAW their doctrine instead) and call a manifestation of the Holy Spirit when a person is empowered to prophecy, instead claim that the power manifest is "of satan" when someone is speaking or has spoken prophetically by the power of God. Scary! But in the meantime, those who are false prophets can't be discerned properly from those who are true prophets and thus, the false prophets continue to just hurt and harden the hearts of God's Body.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  14. #254
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    107

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    What does the following statement mean slug? "But in the meantime, those who are false prophets can't be discerned properly from those who are true prophets and thus, the false prophets continue to just hurt and harden the hearts of God's Body."

    I mean to say, "How does one discern a false prophet (properly) from a true prophet? What do you personally do slug?

    IN GOD THE SON,
    maverick

  15. #255

    Re: what about "prophets" of today?

    I have been fasting now for weeks, concerning this matter, i want to state something very simple, uncomplicated and clear.

    There are those that "tickle the ears". That is what we have in today's world, i have been told the "true prophet" will come, and i know this, and the words will be truth, but too hard for the mainstream to accept.

    The message of Jonah is "Repentance" and Jesus said, this would be the only sign given.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 138
    Last Post: Jun 13th 2015, 08:55 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Feb 11th 2015, 01:30 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 12th 2014, 10:48 PM
  4. False prophets... "many will come in my name..."
    By Brother Mark in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jul 14th 2008, 02:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •