Thread: Context matters

Context matters

Is it alright that christians today use some scriptures as encouragement when the scripture was specific to a certain person?

Example: Joshua 1:9. I see this on alot of wall decor and coffee mugs, which is nice but it got me thinking. That scripture was for Jacob.

Re: Context matters

Sorry, I meant that was for Joshua.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Want2bSaved View Post
    Is it alright that christians today use some scriptures as encouragement when the scripture was specific to a certain person?

Example: Joshua 1:9. I see this on alot of wall decor and coffee mugs, which is nice but it got me thinking. That scripture was for Jacob.
    Joshua 1: 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

The lesson is that we are to trust in God. All Christians will be commanded by God to "do" something they may feel doubt about. The lesson we learn from the example given to us "through" Joshua's situation is that when God does prompt us to do something, we should have no doubt or fear.

No matter how impossible it may seem at the moment, start walking and then we find that God is with us the entire time and soon, what was impossible... is accomplished.

So while the verse is found in Joshua, all Christians may find themselves in a tough position, with a HUGE obstacle before them as they face into the direction that God told them to go. So this verse can be (is) for ALL in that position.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Thank you Slug1.

I know how important context is so when I was putting up some inspirational decor I just wondered since God was telling Joshua to go and conquer courageously that scripture might not be meant for all and then wondered about some others I have seen on plaques and other items.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Thank you Slug1.

I know how important context is so when I was putting up some inspirational decor I just wondered since God was telling Joshua to go and conquer courageously that scripture might not be meant for all and then wondered about some others I have seen on plaques and other items.
    It is the context of lessons as well. God can't have every single example of things He will have us do in scriptures. However, we can take the lesson given to us "through" that situation with Joshua (or any of the many other lessons throughout The Word) and apply it to ourselves and our situation. We will know that no matter how impossible any task given to us by God may be, we are not to doubt as Joshua was not to doubt because as we follow God's tasking in obedience, He is always right there with us. Also, we KNOW He's there with us (the Bible tells me so) as we act/move in obedience, we are to have courage. That way, when we encounter something in any task that "we" can't do (of our own power), God will do it by His power through us as we continue to move in faithful obedience.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

I understand what you are saying.

My pet peeve is when people isolate Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

To understand it properly, you HAVE to know the context. Plans? What plans? Well, the immediate plans for the people God was talking to was being overtaken by the enemy, captured, and in pagan captivity for 70 years. Some of these people would die in captivity. Some would be abused.

Also in the context is that these people after the 70 years would cry out to God and seek after him with their whole heart. And at that point, he would listen.

How many people who take this verse in isolation take it to mean that life is going to be full of only great things and marked only by fun and favorable blessings.

That's not the point of the verse. The point of this verse is to show that IF we cry out to God and seek after him with our whole heart, he will hear us and help us understand the suffering. God will take care of his people who seek him diligently, but suffering is part of life, part of discipline, and has a purpose.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Example: Joshua 1:9. I see this on alot of wall decor and coffee mugs, which is nice but it got me thinking. That scripture was for Joshua.
    If we get the context right, we can claim some of those promises. For instance, Joshua was going to war against his enemies. Our enemies in the NT are the gates of hell, principalities, sin, etc. We should have no fear of them and be strong and couragious as we attack those things in our heart/life. God has promised us victory over them.

And Jayne makes an excellent point about the verse in Jeremiah. That promise was given to a rebellious people who were about to be chastised. In other words, if God is about to spank us pretty good, and life is going to get really hard, we need to know that He still has good plans for us in the future. That doesn't necessarily mean an easy life, but it does mean there is something we can hold on to for the future. It is a promise meant to help us get through the time of chastisement/captivity and to help turn our hearts back to him. For ultimately, it will be the kindness of God that leads us to repentance. While living in the hogmire with no one to help also brings us to our senses. It is God's kindness that encourages us to go home, to return to Him and His ways.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thread Information