Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathon Edwards

Jonathon Edwards

Has anyone read him? His Resolves?

The one resolution that affected me was the one where he speaks of glorifying God and do so even when no one else will. It is the same as being Christ like at all times but easier said then done.

Just curious to know if he is also someone else's favorite author and teacher.

Blog Entries

Re: Jonathon Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Has anyone read him? His Resolves?

The one resolution that affected me was the one where he speaks of glorifying God and do so even when no one else will. It is the same as being Christ like at all times but easier said then done.

Just curious to know if he is also someone else's favorite author and teacher.
    Are you saying he’s your favorite? I ask because you say one resolve affected you.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

You certainly won't hear any mega church preachers preach the way Jonathan preached..

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/...s.sinners.html

Jude
    ​“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Are you saying he’s your favorite? I ask because you say one resolve affected you.
    He is one of my favorites. I like his resove to act godly and glorify God, even when no one else will, that is what I want to attain to.

It seems people compromise their faith and beliefs, and I don't want to.

I have been learning quit a bit from reading his books.

Do you read him?

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    You certainly won't hear any mega church preachers preach the way Jonathan preached..

Jude
    That book is on my next read, thank you for the link! I may start it earlier than planned. lol

While researching Jonathan Edwards, I happened to stumble upon Steve Lawson, I like him too.

Blog Entries

He is one of my favorites. I like his resove to act godly and glorify God, even when no one else will, that is what I want to attain to.

It seems people compromise their faith and beliefs, and I don't want to.

I have been learning quit a bit from reading his books.

Do you read him?
    I need to read him. I have a 2-volume set of his on my shelf that I need to read.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post

Jude
    I have heard some say that this message was the beginning of the Great Awakening.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I have heard some say that this message was the beginning of the Great Awakening.
    Have you read about this time period, if not, it's fascinating. It wasn't just in on3 place, one sermon or one pastor, although Jonathon Edwards was a key player that God used in a great way.
    It would be awesome if that happened now!

Have you read about this time period, if not, it's fascinating. It wasn't just in on3 place, one sermon or one pastor, although Jonathon Edwards was a key player that God used in a great way.
    It would be awesome if that happened now!
    I was reading some on it today David. To me, it sounds like the pre-awakening period was very similar to what we are seeing in today's generation. It gave me a lot of hope!
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

We definitely could use another Great Awakening.

What do you all think about this resolve from Jonathan? I think it's #7.

Resolved - never to do anything which I would be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

He had such an intense focus on time management, not to waste it. It got me to thinking, our hours, days and seconds are numbered and what will we do with them? In this time, God has given us opportunities, doors opened, we have to cease those moments before those doors are shut.

If God opens a door, we must go through it, we can't wait, there is no time to waste. I have to get on with what God has called me to do. I have only so much time!

It's just a matter of finding what that is. lol

What do you all think about this resolve from Jonathan? I think it's #7.

Resolved - never to do anything which I would be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

He had such an intense focus on time management, not to waste it. It got me to thinking, our hours, days and seconds are numbered and what will we do with them? In this time, God has given us opportunities, doors opened, we have to cease those moments before those doors are shut.

If God opens a door, we must go through it, we can't wait, there is no time to waste. I have to get on with what God has called me to do. I have only so much time!

It's just a matter of finding what that is. lol
    If I could say one verse in scripture that we, as believers, should focus on above all others, I would say it is this one:

2 Cor 11:3 But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
    NASB

When we are devoted to Christ, most everything takes care of itself. For instance, when we love our woman, we know what we should do and we want to do it. We do things out of love rather than duty and will power. That said, if the resolves help, then by all means resolve! Scripture talks about how Jesus "set his face like flint". That sounds like resovle to me.

Isa 50:7 For the Lord God helps Me,
    Therefore, I am not disgraced;
    Therefore, I have set My face like flint,
    And I know that I shall not be ashamed.
    NASB
    NASU

If I could say one verse in scripture that we, as believers, should focus on above all others, I would say it is this one:

2 Cor 11:3 But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
    NASB

When we are devoted to Christ, most everything takes care of itself. For instance, when we love our woman, we know what we should do and we want to do it. We do things out of love rather than duty and will power. That said, if the resolves help, then by all means resolve! Scripture talks about how Jesus "set his face like flint". That sounds like resovle to me.

Isa 50:7 For the Lord God helps Me,
    Therefore, I am not disgraced;
    Therefore, I have set My face like flint,
    And I know that I shall not be ashamed.
    NASB
    Thank you, Mark, you're right, it would be important for a person not to get so focused on these that we lose sight of what is most important. Kind of like one of the letters to the 7 churches, they forgot their first love.

It's a good reminder, I guess I kind of like reading the resolves and applying them in order to stay focused. Otherwise, I focus on stupid stuff - like video games. lol

Thank you, Mark, you're right, it would be important for a person not to get so focused on these that we lose sight of what is most important. Kind of like one of the letters to the 7 churches, they forgot their first love.

It's a good reminder, I guess I kind of like reading the resolves and applying them in order to stay focused. Otherwise, I focus on stupid stuff - like video games. lol
    You are such a blessing David! So glad to see your heart, eagerness, sincerity, and brotherly love. May God continue to bless you with such wonderful attitudes and thoughts!
    NASU

You are such a blessing David! So glad to see your heart, eagerness, sincerity, and brotherly love. May God continue to bless you with such wonderful attitudes and thoughts!
    Thanks Mark, you are a blessing to me too, you are always edifying!

(TBH, you might not say that if you knew me in person.)

Thread Information