Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the Bible Support Time Travel?

Blog Entries

Does the Bible Support Time Travel?

I used to believe in Time Travel, but I have come to realize that this is highly unlikely. While God definitely has the power to Time Travel (because nothing is impossible for God), I just do not see that God would allow for Time Travel. How so?

While Time Travel books and movies can be entertaining, they can also fill our heads with false information about the real world, too.
    In other words, for the concept of Time Travel to work: Do you believe the past is also happening simultaneously with the present time right now? Do you believe Christ is being crucified and resurrected over and over and over and over again? Well, the Bible says,

"But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God"
    (Hebrews 10:12).

The Bible says Jesus offered ONE sacrifice for sins FOREVER. It's not that God is not powerful enough to re-create everything (or store the past in another dimension) whereby He could allow the past to continue to keep happening at this very moment (with Him living there, too); For if God were to also simulteanously live in the past, that would mean He would have to continually be making the creation, too. But God rested (stopped) from His work on the 7th day. If God was still working on the creation in the past, then that would mean He was not truly resting on the Sabbath.

For do you believe Jesus returned already? Do you believe the Judgment already took place? If so, then where? In some future time line that we have not experienced yet but yet we did experience it? See how silly that sounds?

Yes, God is aware in perfect detail of all that is going to happen. Nothing escapes God. But does God allow the past to continue to exist and does God allow the future that has not happened yet for us to already exist for God? Surely not. We are not living in some time travel movie. The Bible does not describe time in such a way like that.

Yes, John was able to see a vision of events unfold in the future. But this was like a dream of the future whereby John could interact with it. John did not actually time travel to the future that has already happened already. John had a Revelation or a vision.

Another problem with believing in the concept of Time Travel is that if the past was still existing right now, it could make a person think that they can go back to the past and change things or relive it. But reliving the past or our life again is in line with reincarnation and it is not in line with what the Bible teaches about how the real world operates; Or worse yet, people can falsely think that God needs to somehow need to re-live the past thru out some kind of endless cycle (that needs to be exact every time). That God is a slave to their concept of time (whereby He would be repeating things over and over and over and over again).

Re: Does the Bible Support Time Travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason0047 View Post

I used to believe in Time Travel, but I have come to realize that this is highly unlikely. While God definitely has the power to Time Travel (because nothing is impossible for God), I just do not see that God would allow for Time Travel. How so?

While Time Travel books and movies can be entertaining, they can also fill our heads with false information about the real world, too.
    In other words, for the concept of Time Travel to work: Do you believe the past is also happening simultaneously with the present time right now? Do you believe Christ is being crucified and resurrected over and over and over and over again? Well, the Bible says,

"But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God"
    (Hebrews 10:12).

The Bible says Jesus offered ONE sacrifice for sins FOREVER. It's not that God is not powerful enough to re-create everything (or store the past in another dimension) whereby He could allow the past to continue to keep happening at this very moment (with Him living there, too); For if God were to also simulteanously live in the past, that would mean He would have to continually be making the creation, too. But God rested (stopped) from His work on the 7th day. If God was still working on the creation in the past, then that would mean He was not truly resting on the Sabbath.

For do you believe Jesus returned already? Do you believe the Judgment already took place? If so, then where? In some future time line that we have not experienced yet but yet we did experience it? See how silly that sounds?

Yes, God is aware in perfect detail of all that is going to happen. Nothing escapes God. But does God allow the past to continue to exist and does God allow the future that has not happened yet for us to already exist for God? Surely not. We are not living in some time travel movie. The Bible does not describe time in such a way like that.

Yes, John was able to see a vision of events unfold in the future. But this was like a dream of the future whereby John could interact with it. John did not actually time travel to the future that has already happened already. John had a Revelation or a vision.

Another problem with believing in the concept of Time Travel is that if the past was still existing right now, it could make a person think that they can go back to the past and change things or relive it. But reliving the past or our life again is in line with reincarnation and it is not in line with what the Bible teaches about how the real world operates; Or worse yet, people can falsely think that God needs to somehow need to re-live the past thru out some kind of endless cycle (that needs to be exact every time). That God is a slave to their concept of time (whereby He would be repeating things over and over and over and over again).
    God doesn't live in our time constraints, He is limitless, who knows how many dimensions of time there really are,

I'm not advocating time traveling the way you have described, but perhaps there is, we just would not be able to grasp the concept. Maybe it's not humans doing the travelling and not in our realm.

The Bible does say that Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world, which could mean simply God planned it at that time or something else,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    God doesn't live in our time constraints, He is limitless, who knows how many dimensions of time there really are,

I'm not advocating time traveling the way you have described, but perhaps there is, we just would not be able to grasp the concept. Maybe it's not humans doing the travelling and not in our realm.

The Bible does say that Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world, which could mean simply God planned it at that time or something else,
    But if Christ was slain since the foundation of the world in some future timeline, and Scripture says Jesus offered ONE sacrifice for sins forever, then is Christ still offering that ONE sacrifice for sins repeatedly throughout another dimension of time at Calvary over and over and over and over and over and over and over again before the world began or as we speak? Yeah, that doesn't make any sense, my friend.

But if Christ was slain since the foundation of the world in some future timeline, and Scripture says Jesus offered ONE sacrifice for sins forever, then is Christ still offering that ONE sacrifice for sins repeatedly throughout another dimension of time at Calvary over and over and over and over and over and over and over again before the world began or as we speak? Yeah, that doesn't make any sense, my friend.
    Nope, it is finished and that's not at all what I said.

That's a PROPHETIC statement.

Blog Entries

I was thinking to myself philosophically, how can God have a personal relationship with all his children at once? I came to the conclusion that perhaps since He is eternal, He can travel back in time from a distant future and have a personal relationship with us that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    That's a PROPHETIC statement.
    Yes. I believe GOD perfectly knows the future in every detail. GOD could have let creation play out in simulations in His mind before the creation and know which course of action to make (Knowing what man is going to do). God does not need to be outside of linear time or to time travel in order to predict the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Translucent1 View Post
    I was thinking to myself philosophically, how can God have a personal relationship with all his children at once? I came to the conclusion that perhaps since He is eternal, He can travel back in time from a distant future and have a personal relationship with us that way.
    He did enter into our time and space to set up His Kingdom.

It is viewing things from within our limited dimensionality that makes things seem confusing. God cannot "time travel", there is no need to. He is outside the dimensionality of time altogether. This is how He can see the end from the beginning. Einstein concluded, and it has been proven beyond doubt, that time is dimension just like the 3 dimensions of height, width, length we are familiar with. Time is a dimension that changes based on mass, gravity, and acceleration.

Next off, the idea that God can do anything, as nothing is impossible for God, that is not the case. Here is a couple of them, though there are more.....

1) God cannot force anyone to Love Him.
    2) God cannot lie.

And there are things even God doesn't know. One for instance, God does not know any other way of salvation except thru His Son.

To the OP's point, time is a dimension that we will not be subject to in the future. Eternity is not unlimited linear time, it is outside of time altogether.

1 John 3:2 (NKJV) Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    And there are things even God doesn't know. One for instance, God does not know any other way of salvation except thru His Son.
    I doubt that, I would say that any other way would be less convincing.

And what would be the second instance God does not even know?

Welcome BTW.

Blog Entries

John was taken to the future in Rev. When he was there he was writing things down that he saw...that was taken back with him to his own time.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
    Rev 1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

Rev_1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Rev_1:19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

Rev_10:4 And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.

He literally saw the future because he was taken there.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDeo View Post

Welcome BTW.
    God does not know a better time to accept His Son than right now.

is that sufficient enough for a second thing?

I love deep conversations.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
    Matt 25:46

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
    and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    1 Tim 6:10

Except it is all in His timing, not ours.

Blog Entries

Our discussion started this way;

Quote Originally Posted by ProDeo View Post

Welcome BTW.

I was under the impression (the red) the topic was about God's omniscience. But you were just playing with language. Okay, no problem.

Thread Information