Thread: Where to go from belief?

Where to go from belief?

Hi guys/gals,

So I came to these forums a while back, in my doubt, desperately wanting to believe in God and connect with him. I am now at the stage where I have no doubts. I have been doing a lot of research about the gospels and history and it just continues to give me confidence in my belief. I found some talks with a guy called John Lennox and they are brilliant.

So I still have not gone to church yet and still kind of scared about that but the more time goes on I think I need to take that step.

My main question though is where do I go from here in my daily life with people that do not believe? The reason I say this is, I have become so grounded in my belief by the facts I have found/read that I wonder if I should start to share this with others. I almost feel like the more I learn the more I need to share before I burst, does that make sense?

The trouble is I am not sure if I am qualified to do it as I have not even finished reading the bible yet and I am really just starting out. Also, I don't want people to feel I am being overbearing and trying to push my beliefs on others. What is it they say "Never talk about religion or Politics" lol. I am also a very shy person so I am not even sure where this need to share is coming from as the thought of doing it is a bit terrifying as well lol.

Anyways, I wondered what other Christians out thought and what advice you could give.

Thank you in advance.

Peace

Blog Entries

Re: Where to go from belief?

Quote Originally Posted by Belief View Post
    Hi guys/gals,

So I came to these forums a while back, in my doubt, desperately wanting to believe in God and connect with him. I am now at the stage where I have no doubts. I have been doing a lot of research about the gospels and history and it just continues to give me confidence in my belief. I found some talks with a guy called John Lennox and they are brilliant.

So I still have not gone to church yet and still kind of scared about that but the more time goes on I think I need to take that step.

My main question though is where do I go from here in my daily life with people that do not believe? The reason I say this is, I have become so grounded in my belief by the facts I have found/read that I wonder if I should start to share this with others. I almost feel like the more I learn the more I need to share before I burst, does that make sense?

The trouble is I am not sure if I am qualified to do it as I have not even finished reading the bible yet and I am really just starting out. Also, I don't want people to feel I am being overbearing and trying to push my beliefs on others. What is it they say "Never talk about religion or Politics" lol. I am also a very shy person so I am not even sure where this need to share is coming from as the thought of doing it is a bit terrifying as well lol.

Anyways, I wondered what other Christians out thought and what advice you could give.

Thank you in advance.

Peace
    If you have a little money you can spend (under $20) go to Amazon or Barnes & Noble or STR.ORG and get a small book by Greg Koukl titled “Tactics”. Great for quiet people or people who aren’t scholars about how to engage people in conversation.

The book isn’t expensive but it’s worth about $1,000,000 in my opinion.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Thanks, I will check it out.

Found the book and it looks interesting so I ordered it, I also found one by a gentleman name frank Turek which looks good as well.

I think it's great that your faith is growing. I'd say continue to read God's Word. That is what helps our faith to grow and not just the facts, although the facts can be helpful. Then ask God in faith for the knowledge for how to find a true church in God and go. If it gets hard remember Mark 11:22-24.
    "The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good."
    Prov 15:3

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Awesome! The reason you feel you need to share is because Jesus told us to do that. Lol obedience is one of the best ways to grow. Share when the opportunities present themselves. But share what you know and don't be afraid to be excited about it. But the second someone responds negatively, politely drop the subject....lest they feel you're pushing it in them.
    And please please please, read your whole bible before you choose a church. And pray pray pray for discernment before you go church hunting. Ask around, find out who the other Christians are out there. Find the ones who live holy lives and yet are down to earth and joyful, then ask those ones what church they attend and check it out.
    If at any point you get a check in your spirit that makes you feel something is wrong with that church, pray and seek the Lord to find out what He is trying to show you. That was how I always knew during the early years of my faith if something being taught was false. Then I would check out the verses being used in that sermon and I would read them IN CONTEXT and discover how far off base that teaching was. Context is important.
    And remember, EVERYTHING in moderation. If they are to focused on repentance abd pulpit pounding, where is the grace and love? If they are to focused on the here and now, where is Christ's second coming? If you see all the gifts and no order. If you hear a lot of talk about "prophet Joe Blow, or evangelist missy powerful" and you don't see humility, real humility, if you hear a lot of good stuff that makes you feel good, But never hear correction, run.
    And once you've found the church you think is in line with the doctrine the Bible teaches as a whole, if you feel you're still in the wrong church, spend some time praying before you decide to leave.
    Oh! And get baptized! Welcome to the family. Always keep in mind, knowledge is good, but it's the knowing him that's important.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

I still have not gone to church yet and still kind of scared about that but the more time goes on I think I need to take that step.
    Hi Belief, that is the most important next step for you, especially as a new believer.

One of the things that is absolutely clear in the Bible is that we Christians are men/women 'under authority', which is a great thing because it's how God intended it to be/how He often works in our lives .. cf Hebrews 13:17. There are no examples of "solo" Christians in the Bible/Christians who are not part of a local body of believers. Being a Christian and being part of the church always went hand in hand in the 1st Century.

It's also the place, a safe haven, where we can step back out of this world and our service to its people, remember who and what we are, strengthen and be strengthened in the faith by the fellowship of other believers .. e.g. Hebrews 10:24-25, and ready/refresh ourselves for service once again (in a world that is most often hostile towards the truth .. and us .. 2 Timothy 3:12). You need us and we need you. We are not complete w/o you, nor you w/o us, as the Christian life is intended to be lived in relationship with fellow believers. We are "family", and our description as "the body of Christ" is an apt one indeed .. see 1 Corinthians 12:4-31.

It's also the place where we come together in corporate worship and prayer, partake of the Lord's Supper, and hear the word of God taught and preached (you will find that the Lord often speaks to you there though His word, and also during other parts of the service as well). It's also the place where we come to publicly/openly acknowledge who we are/Whom we serve, and to worship Him/honor Him.

That makes total sense And you should never be reluctant to share what you know with others as you sense the Lord leading you to do so .. cf Proverbs 3:5-6.

The trouble is I am not sure if I am qualified to do it as I have not even finished reading the bible yet and I am really just starting out.
    You are eminently qualified to be who the Lord made you to be, His "witness". IOW, He has called you to tell others about the things you already know about Him and the Gospel (not the things you don't know).

While we are certainly called to be scholars who remain in "school" for the balance of our time in this world (as we are to always be growing in our understanding of both the faith and of God), we are principally called as witnesses to others about what we know of God and the faith, about what we have 'personally' experienced.

No doubt you will eventually be asked questions which you may or may not be able to answer on the spot, and when you can't (when you don't know the answer or you're not sure how you should answer), no problem, just tell them the truth, that they've asked a very interesting question that you'd like to know the answer to as well, and that you'll find out and get back to them ASAP (which means 1. they'll have a greater respect you because you've been honest
    and 2. you'll have a great excuse to talk with them again about Jesus ).

Also, I don't want people to feel I am being overbearing and trying to push my beliefs on others. What is it they say "Never talk about religion or Politics" lol. I am also a very shy person so I am not even sure where this need to share is coming from as the thought of doing it is a bit terrifying as well lol.
    It can be terrifying. Just try to be brave and remember that their need to hear what you know about the Gospel is more important than your fear. As pastor/theologian Charles Spurgeon once said:

If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one go there unwarned and unprayed for. ~Charles H. Spurgeon
    Unfortunately, unlike apologetics (which we are commanded to do when others ask us to explain why we believe what we do .. see 1 Peter 3:15 below in my signature line), "witnessing" is almost always something that we have to initiate. So be looking for the opportunities that the Lord presents you with to do just that, and take them when they arise (perhaps as you minister to the needs of non-Christians, comfort someone who is hurting, etc.).

Remember that much of what we do as witnesses is to present some of what we know about God/the faith/salvation for our listeners to consider/mull over. IOW, we are not always the ones who get to see people come all the way to Christ. Rather, we are often the ones who prepare the way for one of our brothers or sisters who eventually will lead them all the way there. It's also important to remember that it's God who is responsible for making others into Christians, our responsibility is to be faithful witnesses, so you should not be dismayed when someone you talk to doesn't come to Christ on the spot. It's not necessarily about the "results". Rather, our "successes" as a Christian are most often found in our day by day/moment by moment choices to be "faithful"

Take a look at my signature line verses below, as all of them are extremely useful to keep in mind/will serve you well as you seek to serve others
    (this certainly includes the times you are sharing what you know about the Lord), as well as with your walk before God in this life as you seek to please and glorify Him. BTW, be sure to add this short passage to that list of verses below to remember whenever you are sharing your faith/sharing what you know with others (or whenever you are simply relating to others in general, whether they are within the faith or not).

James 1
    19 Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;
    20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

~Deut

Galatians 6

9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
    10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Oh, and one last thing about witnessing. The Gospel is meant to be believed or not believed, nothing else. Neither the Gospel, nor its Author, nor the rest of His word, is meant to be disparaged or mocked by those we are witnessing to. If the people you are talking to decide to mock God, His word and/or His church, and you don't believe that they will stop doing so, then you need to quickly and politely withdraw from the conversation you are having with them. While the Lord told us "do not judge" in Matthew 7:1, He tells us that we must judge/properly appraise the witnessing situations we find ourselves in just five verses later, and whether or not the people we are talking to deserve to hear what we have to say, at least at that particular moment in time (as well telling us what we need to do to remedy the situation .. and what will happen if we don't).

Jesus says:

Matthew 7
    6 Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

If you decide that those you've tried to witness to are too hostile to hear what you have to say at that moment, be sure to pray for them, that the Lord will prepare their hearts so that they will eventually be ready to hear the truth of the Gospel and be saved.

~Deut
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Thank you guys I really appreciate the responses.

Its a bit overwhelming there are so many option. I nearly joined my wife at her church today but we went there for an Easter fair and I just did not feel very welcome but maybe I will try again.

I nearly joined my wife at her church today but we went there for an Easter fair and I just did not feel very welcome but maybe I will try again.
    I think you are right to try it again. In any case, it would be best to go to church with your wife if at all possible, at her church, or at another, if the one she presently attends does not work out for some reason. However, remember that church is your opportunity to give something back to God, so go there with the intention of doing that, of principally praising/worshiping Him. That way it's not so much about how you feel and/or what you think you may be missing, and your wife's church may look completely different to you if you choose to do so

One of my friends is a worship minister, and he was a guest organist/worship leader for a short time at what he described as a completely dead church spiritually. When he was going through the motions (so to speak), one of the Scripture readings was Psalm 150, but because it was read from a newer paraphrase (rather than a translation), it said, "you praise the Lord", and he told me that the Lord spoke to him through the particular wording of that paraphrase. From that moment on, that's exactly what he decided to do (no matter what was going on around him), and it ended up making all the difference in the services there for everyone (as well for him, of course).

Again, the Christian life is all about being "faithful", and when we act as God commands/admonishes us to, it can often be infectious when others witness it

~Deut
    Matthew 5

Matthew 7

1 Corinthians 13

1 Peter 3

This is the Spirit wanting you to spread the good word that you have learned. Burst out and tell the word. Plant the seeds of the good word. Water those who thirst.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt 5:6

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. Matt 25:46

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
    and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Tim 6:10

Thread Information